TKR Braunzie's Journey on "The Other Side"?

@Rob 68 . Very Good. Have to be careful lately, not everybody is so supportive.

@Braunzie, Just havin a little fun. I KNOW I'm not boring. lol. I was just sayin, again, how Life goes on !
I just got the OK yesterday to walk. Doc said 2 crutches for a few days till I feel comfortable with 1, then cane.
How is that going for you. You said you like 2 crutches sometimes, and also that Dr wants you walking with nothing. how's that working ?
 
@cpd599 - Congratulations on getting the OK to walk!! I'm thinking that is going to make a huge difference for you! :happydance:

I found for me it was a gradual progression from walker, to two crutches, to one crutch to nothing as I gained strength and confidence. I became more confident around the house, but found leaving the house for a while I would revert to the last level.. "just in case".. for instance, when I was using one crutch around the house, I would take two when I traveled outside / to the store.

I was pretty skeptical when I was told to start walking unassisted, but I took the challenge and (more quickly than I expected) I'm now getting around the house quite well without any crutch or cane, though still pretty slow. And getting up from sitting down for a while, the first couple of steps and a bit uncertain because my knee gets pretty stiff. I can tell, though, that I am getting stronger everyday and I'm beginning to feel very hopeful that I will be able to return to work with no crutch or cane at all.. (For whatever reason, I don't find a cane very helpful at all. I must be weird, because I see people use canes all the time, but it seems to get in the way more than give me a sense of stability in any way. (And I bought a really nice looking one, thinking I would need it.. :sad: lol!!)

I walked outside to the mailbox yesterday (accompanied by my husband) with no aid, other than holding his hand - which I do all the time anyway.. :) We are at the top of a cul-de-sac with a slight incline (that I referred to as "the hill") and the mail box is the equivalent of about half a block away. I noted that I did better dealing with the downhill incline with my new knee than I could have done with my old knee, so that was good!!

That being said, I went to the post office and took my crutch, again, "just in case".

Just take it slow and easy, but keep trying to advance to the next stage. I remember the first time I tried crutches, I knew immediately I couldn't because of too much pain. But a few days later, when I tried again, I could with no pain at all. I learned that unless you try, you'll never know.. and if you can't you can always try again..

Best of luck with your improvement in mobility!! :yay:
 
@Braunzie and @cpd599 -- WTG on the walking.

I'm curious why some of us are given crutches and others go from walkers to canes ... OS or PT preference? Maybe it's a matter of climate -- both of you live in places that get snow. A crutch might make for surer footing in wet or snowy conditions. Different needs for different knees? Anyway, glad that both of you are making progress.

I haven't been brave enough to try inclines, as slight as they are around here, without my cane. No DH to hold hands with. But, on the plus side, the mailbox is only one corridor and four steps away.

I take my walker instead of my cane when I'm going outside if I think I might need that extra protection -- it creates a bit of defensible space around me, so people, kids, etc., are less likely to come crashing into me. The two of you, on the other hand, can brandish a crutch wildly around to get people to give you the space and respect you deserve. ;)
 
And I'm not afraid to use it ! LOL. I know my OS wanted me to use, primarily, the walker while I was at 50 % weight bearing. Now he wants me from crutches to nothing in 4 wks.
 
@cpd599 - I'm thinking you should be able to do crutches to nothing in 4 weeks. I started crutches earlier, only because I was full weight baring on day one. (so they SAID!! haha!!) I'm very optimistic that you can easily make that happen! Looking forward to hearing your progress!! :yes:
 
@SarahJane - now that I'm thinking of it, my surgeon didn't prescribe crutches.. just a walker.. I borrowed the crutches from a friend, just because I figured I would need them. So glad I did. I found them much more supportive and felt more secure with them. And having grown up in Southern California, I'm happy to report I haven't seen snow here in over a year and a half.. hahaha! (had a VERY mild winter this year! :yes!:)
 
My daughters (#1 and #3) planned on going to a local farmers' market today and I invited myself along.. :yes!: Took my crutch (just in case), and had a great time getting out, spending it with my daughters, walking around and seeing all the produce, crafts, food, etc.. On the way back, we stopped at the grocery store to pick up some ingredients for a new recipe I'm making tonight. (Making Thai Chicken Curry with Potatoes and Peanuts.- report to follow! :))

By the time I got back, I was pretty whooped, but very glad I was able to spend the time with my daughters.. Doesn't happen often enough. Icing and elevating now..

Now my husband is talking about driving a couple hours tomorrow to watch a friend in a "CHAINSAW JAMBOREE"???? HUH??? Apparently they have competitions with who can saw logs faster.. and then competitions in carving with chainsaws?? hahaha! I am SO torn. I have ZERO interest in this, but would love to go with my husband (because he wants me to), but REALLYYYY??? Plus, there is rain in the forecast.. Personal dilemma.. Then I have daughter #3 telling me that I should pass on going with her dad and go with her to Costco instead and then to a local farm animal park.. hahaha! I'm feeling very loved, but not terribly excited.. :heehee: It was so much easier when I couldn't go anywhere!! hahaha!!!! :rotfl:
 
I'm always up to seeing something novel -- chainsaw competition? -- just as long as there isn't a B horror movie film crew around! Maybe the rain will cause the competition to be cancelled. That way you could enjoy your DH's company without spending hours and hours in a car. If you do decide to go, though, maybe you could have someone create a chainsaw sculpture of the two of you. *That'd* be a conversation starter.

Thai tonight? Yum! I'm busy looking up flight schedules... how close to Sea-Tac are you? And what time's dinner?
 
@SarahJane - SeaTac is about 40 minutes from us.. depending on traffic, of course. :heehee: Sorry.. dinner is over, but there ARE leftovers.. :wink:

Everyone cleared their plates.. I guess it was OK.. :eyebrows:

Verdict is still up in the air tomorrow on chainsawing.. Time will tell.. - I'm actually up for going anywhere with DH... Better than being somewhere without him.. :loveshwr:
 
:)As it turned out, my DH decided he needed to stay home and work around the house, so he started the project of re-staining the deck.. I was good with that, as I would have been good with going to the chainsaw event.. (I'm easy.. :heehee:)
So, yesterday, I rallied my daughter (#3) to help "straighten and dust the office". I can't even begin to tell you what that really means.. It's a big area.. about 25' x 18' ??? (I guess it's more like a library / office???) .. We have 4 workstations, filing drawers, book shelves, shelves with pictures and memorabilia, and other "stuff"... It has been DRIVING ME NUTS for weeks..... Let's just say the dust bunnies have had their hey day and any sort of 'organization' has gone out the window since.. uh.. about 8 weeks ago.. SO! Together we CONQUERED the office!!! SWEET!!! :happydance:Took about 2-3 hours.. But it got DONE!!!!! Went to Costco and (stayed in the car for Home Depot, so that doesn't count) and ended up working in the kitchen a bit. Made some salsa from the PURPLE tomatillos my daughter (#1) grew in her garden and then had left over beef stew for dinner.. (Left overs are a good thing!)

Was pretty darn tired, so went to bed around 8:00pm.. to watch some DVDs.. and elevate and ice.. :yes:

Still having trouble sleeping on my sides.. SO FRUSTRATING! Succumbed to sleeping on my back most of the night.. iced for about 3 hours..

Got up this AM.. did the dishes from last night.

I was INSPIRED to continue the ATTACK ON THE DUST BUNNIES today.. (Thinking of you, @PolarBear60 - laughing that they are no longer "my friends".. hahaha! ) .. Feeling a little be demonic, but knowing I'm not!!!! :snork:)
Dusted the hallway (with cabinets and countertops / pictures / "artwork" from children), changed linen in the front guestroom, along with making the bed, dusting, organizing....

Then had to sort mail, pay bills.. :blackcloud:

Blech.... Just "resting" now .. Going to make "The Best Chicken Stew" tonight..... and then... NOTHING.. except rest, elevate, and ice.. and watch NCIS on DVD (haha! :yes:)

I'm EIGHT weeks since my surgery today. Yes. I've definitely made progress.. My question is.. I still have knee pain when moving side to side (like changing positions in bed). I still cannot sleep on my side for any period of time, beyond about 20-30 minutes.. (sigh).. My knee is REALLY stiff when getting up in the AM or sitting for a period of time. I still have the "tight band feeling" ALWAYS..

Is there anything I can be doing differently to make things better? Any exercises? I'm OK if this is "the way that it is", but figured I'd ask, just in case. :)
 
It sounds like your knee didn't object to all that activity, so dust bunnies beware!

Changing positions in bed can be a little uncomfortable. It seems some of the torsion on the knee stresses it some. It will get better in about two months if my experience has any validity for you (and it may not). The tight band feeling is mostly gone for me, but right before waking, I have to do extension and flexion stretches to get everything ready for the day.
 
I'm still mostly back sleeping too. I can only sleep on either side for about 30 minutes. And in the mornings my knee is still very stiff. For the first time in a long time, I could hardly walk this morning the pain was so bad. I took a Celebrex and then an hour later took a second one. That seemed to help.
 
This is probably stating the obvious, but have you tried a pillow under the top leg when you lay on your side? I've found this lets me sleep for hours on my side which feels heavenly as I've never been a back sleeper! I'm a week behind you and still have that tight feeling constantly.
 
I was going to ask about a pillow too. I can sleep on my non surgery side as long as I have a little mountain consisting of a body pillow, a couple of regular pillows, and a soft blanket next to me to nestle in and sort of make my new knee as high or a little higher than my hip.

You had a busy weekend, and like me I am sure you felt it later. Feels good to get stuff done, doesn't it? You are doing great.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
We tackled the office today as well. It has been driving me crazy and I could not find anything. It is amazing how much stuff we have accumulated in 7 years. Time for a visit to Goodwill, I think. Even although I sat most of the time while tidying, I was still knackered when we were done. Spent the rest of the day icing and elevating.
 
@Braunzie and @cairistiona60, jeez, you two ladies put me to shame! The most action my office has seen is me piling medical and prescription receipts on the top of the desk -- to be dealt with later!
 
@Brauzie even after (3 1/2) months I still have problems with getting comfortable in bed. I am a stomach sleeper and still have muscle cramps and having trouble sleeping. Last night I put a pillow under my knee and finally got some what comfy for a bit but for side sleeping I have 1 pillow under my knee and 1 between. It helps some but it will get better over time. I have never been a good sleeper so I go to the recliner and watch tv and fall asleep. TV @ 3 am is pretty good but puts me back to sleep. Sorry I couldn't help more
 
I've only been able to sleep properly on my side for about the last week and a half. I kept trying and then over the course of a few days it got easier and easier. I do still wake up sometimes with it feeling uncomfortable but not too often. Just keep trying and you'll find one night that you've slept on your side for a while.

My knee is less stiff than a few weeks ago but still has the wretched tight band feeling very often, like an elastic band across the front. It's worse if I haven't iced for a while or if I've been on my feet too long or walked too much or overdone it (very common for me!). I understand that it can take several months to go completely so......patience again, my friend, patience!!
 
I'm EIGHT weeks since my surgery today. Yes. I've definitely made progress.. My question is.. I still have knee pain when moving side to side (like changing positions in bed). I still cannot sleep on my side for any period of time, beyond about 20-30 minutes.. (sigh).. My knee is REALLY stiff when getting up in the AM or sitting for a period of time.

I am 8 weeks out tomorrow. I have the same pain when changing positions in bed. I do manage to sleep on my side, but I use a pillow between my knees. And I ALWAYS wake up when rolling over or changing position. I am also stiff in the mornings. My husband gets up really early (4 AM), so I had a pain pill on the bedside table and took it at 4. I took my anti-inflammatories and other pills at 6 when I got up.

I have just started back to work this week, and I have a hunch that I am going to be more sore just from the additional moving around.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom