Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Branluc after my leg fracture 23 years ago, I was on the pain med pump for 3 days. It was heavy duty pain. You had a fracture of the largest bone in your body. Don't be afraid to ask for more pain meds. I was allowed an additional injection every 2 hours on top of the pump, those ortho nurses really understand how this pain is not normal surgical incision pain.
 
Yes. They did say 28 days of it. Was it difficult or just painful? I'm afraid of doing it incorrectly. I know they're going to show me but it seems like something I may not be very good at. Just went for another very short stroll. It's so darn painful. Feeling a bit depressed over the fact that I know this is not going to be easy. I'm so much worse than I was two weeks ago and thats difficult to accept
 
Thanks Designergirl. I was hesitant to ask for too much. That helps.
 
they won't give you too much, but unless you tell them how bad it is, they may give you too little. You need as much as they allow now.
 
Branluc I agree, ask for more pain relief. Do not hesitate to ask for ANYthing!!!!!!!
You will conquer this whole situation! You have the scary part behind you, now it's just "muddling through" as my father used to say. You will work hard, day after day, and you will then look back and say, "I did that? I did that!"
They'll show you just how to give the shot. If you make a mistake, they'll give you another chance. My belly cringes thinking about it, but --I give myself allergy shots all the time, in my thighs, and it was so much less of a fuss than I'd made in my mind that I now brag about it (as you see here... :wink: )
I'm with you all the way-- baby steps, slow and steady, deep breaths, let the staff make you laugh.... :)
 
Yup. Just got more meds. You're all so helpful. Still so greatful that I literally stumbled upon Bonesmart at the very last minute.
 
great! Now, if you have any brains un-fogged by meds, you have loads of time to stumble around this site more, read people's threads, read the library, play a game in the Social Room-- and then take a nap :) :sleep:
 
Hi Branluc, I'm glad that everything went well. Sorry that the pain is so much worse, I hope you have got sufficient pain meds now. Wishing for you a good recovery and less pain day by day.
 
You've sure had some bad luck but sounds like you're on the downhill side now. Please don't hesitate to ask for your pain meds; this is no time to be stoic. You've been through so much, you need to be comfortable enough to get your healing rest.

Hey, don't sweat the anticoagulant injections. The needle is so tiny you won't feel it, and they'll show you how.
Wishing you a cruise recovery from this point on. You deserve it:flwrysmile:
 
Hi Branluc, you are one brave, strong girl. You will look back on all this one day and realise just how strong you were, living through all this pain!
I totally hated the injections. At my pre admission visit, they handed me a little bag with the needle disposal unit and informed me about the injections. Immediately I burst into tears! I told them there is no way I could do that. They gave me a few options like get the home nurse to do it, but I only had her every other day. Go to my GP, but that was a car trip every day. So in the end my 26yr old son gave them to me. Sometimes they stung, sometimes I felt nothing. But they all hurt for a bit after the injection.
Have a look on you tube re injecting yourself. There are a few clips and you will get an idea of what to do plus some tips. I learnt that if you inject straight after the shower it doesn't hurt as much because the skin is softer.
Even though I hated them, I hated the idea of a blood clot more. I'm still wearing my stockings too.
I hope today is a better day for you :friends:
 
Branluc, they taught me how to do the injections in the hospital. You kind of pinch the skin on your abdomen, jam it in, push down on the top and pull it out. The home nurse told me to leave it in for 5 seconds but there was no way. (I'd write what I told him he could do to himself, but they'd throw me off the site.). In the hospital, I had to push on the top again to withdraw the needle, but the ones I got at home withdrew by themselves-- there was a spring in them. I have a terrible needle phobia so it was really hard for me, but my doctor insisted that it was his protocol. Also, just to prepare you, our insurance didn't cover the cost and it was really expensive. I made myself do it at the same time every day. The hardest thing was remembering which side I had done the day before because you're supposed to switch sides. It really only takes a couple of seconds, but it does sting and burn for about 5 minutes after. I did mine in the morning because I still had to do it for a few days when I returned to work, so I made sure that after the shot I had something to look forward to-- a second cup of coffee, a show I wanted to watch, something I wanted to read-- so I could get past it. My daughter in law has type 1 diabetes so I tried to stay in the head space that I only had to do it for 28 days and she has to for the rest of her life. That day 28 was a happy day for me. This is really long-- I hope it helps-- you've been through so much. Where do you live? Is it spring where you are? Do you have a view of flowers? I just heard an article on NPR today that said that people who have had surgery and can look out at the natural world heal faster. I wish you fast healing. XO
 
Here's a bunch of flowers for you, from the other side of the world.

[Bonesmart.org] Branluc has moved over!

Get better soon
Ally
 
Regarding the injections, they won't hurt if you throw the needle in (like a dart) and then inject the medication slowly. Don't rub hard on the site afterwards and it won't bruise badly. My cats thought it was pretty cool and liked to play with the syringes after---needle was retracted by spring so no danger.
 
Being needle phobic this was 1 of my worries. However it's over very quickly and is a small price to pay. I had a DVT and I wouldn't want another xx
:kittykiss:
 
Branluc, having a fracture does seem to up the pain quotient. I spent 4 nights in hospital and the anesthetist came by four times, twice more than the surgeon, just to remind me to use the pain pump and ask the staff if I needed anything more. He was quite solicitous, unusually so! I began to get a bit worried but decided there was no point in worrying, I'd just go with the flow.

I think its important when you get home that in the early stages you rest a lot more than you did last time. I know you were vacuuming at just over a week and you were at a funeral a week or so later, which I understand completely.... But it was probably too much too soon. (Then there was all the stuff you were likely doing and not telling us.) Is there any way your daughter or a friend can clean your place for a little while? Maybe help you with the odd meal? People do want to help, we just have to ask and not attempt to go it alone. Either that or let the dust build up... who cares? Your health going forward is job 1. xx
 
BarbaraR I actually don't live that far from you. Southport ct. Not sure of the flowers yet but hopefully soon. Well all of the needle info is helpful but I'm not looking forward to it. Thanks for all of the suggestions. Hope my insurance will cover it. Never thought I'd say this but I miss work. This may all be a lesson in appreciation for sure .
 
I did have someone come in to clean and my son in law owns a restaurant so he prepared meals for me but there were things I thought I needed to do that I will not do this time. I am glad that I made it to the funeral but you're right I need to rest and get better
 
Hold the syringe vertically to your area and then inject.. It becomes easier with each one :)
 
Branluc you will be fine. Don't be put off by pain, take your meds and you will get stronger each day. XXXXX
Aud
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom