Guest viewing is limited

Revision THR Branluc has moved over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness Branluc, that is miserable. bottomshollow I'm afraid my story is rather different. I experienced a fracture during my THR but it was at the head of my trochanter and I did not need a revision. I was not wired, just had weight-bearing restrictions for a while. I know someone dropped by who had wires.. Will check my thread. Also, I learned it happened after the fact, it's much harder emotionally to hear you need to go through it all again.

I know this is incredibly disappointing for you Branluc .....who needs more surgery. But you will get through it. These things happen and we never want it to happen to us. The good thing is that it was caught fairly quickly and they will take incredibly good care of you from now on. You are owed some kind of explanation as to how this might have happened....not that it matters now. It could have been a small crack that went unnoticed and got worse on weight bearing and is just one of those freak things. I assume you were x rayed before they sent you home and nothing showed. If I were you, I would just start looking forward......you are bruised but not beaten. Do you have any help at home? It's likely you'll have weight bearing restrictions of some kind. I will drop in and check on you and see if I can find someone with experience of being wired post fracture. Take care. Vicki
 
Branluc,
I've been reading the posts and I'm so sorry that you are going through this. You were very worried from the start and now this extended experience is happening. I am looking forward to hearing from you as you heal and recover. Please keep us posted as you feel better. I'm sending many hugs and wishes for you. Judi, from ilovedaisys
 
Branluc I am tagging bellaroma Beth for you. She just had her second THR but had a wired fracture after her first surgery. I am sure she will be helpful.
 
Hi Branluc, Sorry to hear you are going through this. I had a fractured femur when they did my left hip at the end of October. They wired it and I ended up with 8 weeks of 50% weightbearing. I was luckier than you as they noticed during the surgery and did not have to go in again. To me the worst part was the witing for it to heal, which I felt put me behind other folks who were moving about freely with no restrictions, but after about 3 weeks the pain was very little. You will be fine in the end and after your fractures heals can join me in what I call my rehab bootcamp where I try to build up the muscles in my legs that hadn't been used in years. You will be able to move your leg in ways you forgot you ever could do.
Us wired fractured folks also have move value as we get extra parts, and then we can really throw security scanners for a loop.
My fractured leg is doing great and supported me fine through my right hip replacement in March,
You will be find, slow and steady. I will be thinking of you and hope all goes well.
 
I'm lying here reading your posts and they are very helpful but I'm feeling very angry right now. I am so scared ( again) and am just so very disgusted with everything. I'm mentally and physically drained and the thought of tomorrow is paralyzing. Did my dr do something wrong? My trust in him right now is not very good but what choice do I have right now. I just want this all to go away. And now this longer recovery to look forward to makes me just want to cry. I don't want to sound like I'm feeling sorry for myself I'm just overwhelmed . Thanks for the support.
 
Dear Branluc,

It is quite natural to feel angry and depressed, who can blame you.

I'd say its unlikely that your surgeon did anything wrong.... suffering a fractured femur or trochanter seems to be a risk that accompanies this surgery, for an unlucky few. I am truly sorry that it happened to you. I was lucky that my fracture occurred during surgery but underlying bone weakness isn't always visible. Perhaps Josephine might have some helpful insight.

I know it must seem overwhelming to face another surgery so soon but in the end, it will be worth it. A number of us posting here can identify with you because we have undergone multiple hip surgeries. One of mine was three months after the first. I understand that it is scary. However I believe it is a good thing that you are back in the OR at such an early phase of your recovery. Insist on regular meetings with your surgeon after discharge: because of this experience, you deserve ongoing reassurance that all is well. I am sure he will understand.

I can't think of anything that will make you feel any better, except to share this. At 5 months post op, I look back at the early days of recovery and it seems so distant and vague, as if it happened to someone else. Trust me when I say, this too shall pass. Try to relax, there's nothing you can do. Everyone is going to take great care of you: they genuinely want you to have a positive outcome.

Good luck tomorrow. Vicki
 
Thank you Vicki that was very helpful. When you're consumed with fear its hard to look beyond it. Your post made me stop for a moment and think about the positive . Cant say I've stopped shaking but it did help . Thank you for the well wishes
 
You are welcome. Try some breathing exercises. Close your eyes and breathe deeply, in and out. Keep doing it for a while. Then when your breathing is calm and your shaking has stopped, try to visualize your hip when it is strong. Imagine you are walking somewhere very beautiful and that you are pain free. It usually calms me down.
 
Thanks. Obviously I'm holding on to my iPad I need distractions and encouragement. I just did what you suggested . And I will repeat. The nurse just went to get me a super charged Xanax so with the breathing hopefully it will help. Also I live an hour and a Half from the hospital so my family and friends aren't able to make it up here which leaves a lot of time to think. I also don't want them to know how I'm feeling because they would feel helpless. Another reason these posts help so much .
 
Branluc You are doing great and you are stronger than you think. How about we be brave together? I go into the hospital at 6:15 tomorrow morning for my RTHR when I wake up I plan on being on the other side and on the road to my recovery. Its people like you that I'm going in a less scared than I was even this morning.
 
I am so sorry you are going through this. There was a gentleman on the forum last year, charlie cyborg, who experienced a fracture not long after his THR. It wasn't how he wanted things to go, but he soldiered on with an amazingly good attitude and is doing great now.

I've tagged him, in case he is still around. I have no idea if he'll respond. Here's his thread, but read the last page first so you can see how it ends, okay?

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/we-can-re-build-him.12409/
 
Hi Liveringer. That's a great suggestion and were on the same time zone. You sound ready to go and that's great. Ok, we'll brave it together!!!!! Good luck to you and me and we'll meet on the other side tomorrow . I will be thinking of you at 6:15. I haven't been given a time yet but I assume early A.M. Again. Best of luck and thanks for the response . "Talk" to you tomorrow on the other side
 
Liveringer Good luck to you as well!

Branluc, she's right, you are doing just great. Frankly, its a good thing not to have visitors hanging around and worrying about you. You need your rest while in hospital, visitors just make you more tired and stressed out. I banned everyone except my husband, who just made food runs and was not allowed to sit staring at me. (Our hospital food here in western Canada is practically inedible IMHO.) I craved sushi and fruit salad, luckily I had no nausea from the anesthetic and could eat it by day 2. Just give in to the exhaustion, stick on the ice, take the pain meds and you'll come through just fine. G'night... sweet dreams.
 
Well, phooey! I hate it when a flare-up of pain turns out to be serious. Branluc, I can only begin to imagine what you are feeling. But once the surgery is over, you are back on the recovery path and it always feels better to be going forward. Hang in....we're all in your corner, and we'll be cheering you on. It will get better.

Sharon
 
Thanks everyone. Great advice and much appreciated. Good night
 
Hi Branluc, sounds like you are doing a tiny bit better, and since you are already at the hospital you are halfway there. No nerve racking journey to undertake in the morning, as well as surgery. Wishing you all the best for the surgery and we'll catch up again when you are feeling up to it. :flwrysmile:
 
The thoughts and prayers of so many go with you tomorrow.
You will get your life back!
 
Thinking of you and wishing you a successful surgery.
Ally
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom