Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braindoc recovering

Yes, back in the day it was performance art of the highest kind, and by observing in the theatre aspiring surgeons learned their craft. IIRC, in the UK a surgeon is addressed as Mr. as opposed to a mere medical practitioner, who is Dr. (I have no idea if this has anything to do with the history of surgeons first being barbers, but for sure originally physicians thought surgery pretty barbaric, which in the days before antiseptic technique and anesthesia it certainly was.)

Read enough British murder mysteries and you, too, can sling the lingo as if to the manor born. Want to know about how lawyers in the UK arent just lawyers, they're either barristers or solicitors?
 
I don't know! But I shall google it later today. I have PT at 9, then at 1 my wife and I are taking one of our dogs to put him down. Great dog. Poor little guy was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is suffering now and we need to get him to a better place. Ironically, my father died in November from prostate CA. We are far more humane to the pets than we are to people
Braindoc
 
Hi @braindoc. I am so very sorry about the little guy. You are right we are more Humane to our pets than people. While I wAs in hospital having my knee done my daughter had her boxer dog put down. Humungous tumour on the back leg inoperable, her legs went etc no choice in the end. I cried buckets when I heard because the dog was a regular visitor to my house and was like part of the family. My thoughts are with you Braindoc. Bless the little guy x x x x x x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Doc ! Sorry to hear about your dog, Thankfully no more suffering . Ive only left my neighborhood once and that was to see the OS. This last weekend ive been taking it slow in order to increase the internal swelling. From the outside it looks great. I tried to post pic of my scar but unsuccessful. Pic too big? Im not the most computer savy guy around. I did use my walker to walk around the small block to surprise my GF on the otherside of my house. She had the TV on too loud , she couldnt hear me, i whistled, tried a few pebbles on the window but to no avail. Oh well I felt good and got out of the house for 10 minutes. Ive been iceing a little less frequently but always elevated. And using the CPM 4 hours a day. I only have the machine for 8 more days. Watching it work is amazing, there is a split on this forum on its effectiveness. Im officially all for it. It bends the knee and thats the purpose. Easy as that. Im personally trying to use restraint to to less activities in the house. I know it may not sound like it but I am. Best of luck in your recovery .
 
@braindoc I am so sorry about your dog. I swear that is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and I do not look forward to it in the future. Our Sophie is 9 and in good Heath but we can definitely see that she is slowing down and entering old age. Dreading that day. Hugs to you.:console2:
 
So Sorry about your:puppysmooze: Remember the good times you had with him & know
He is out of pain :angel:
Diana
 
So sorry to read of your sad visit to the vet today. :sad: Run free little one :puppysmooze:
 
Thanks for the condolences! As a good dog will do, he was always thinking about his "master". With me and my wife holding him as they put him down, it sure took any thoughts of my knee away. I, like icep707, am a fan of the CPM. It forces elevation while you use it and helps with overall movement. Some of the quality nurses from my hospital were emailing me today wondering about my thoughts on the CPM. I guess there is no data that shows long term definite benefit, with the way things are headed in medicine, I am sure they are looking for ways to cut more costs, especially for diagnoses and treatments that have pretty standardized care plans: like a total knee. I told them I love the CPM. Even though I do hurt a bit more when I come out of it. I think it still comes down to getting full extension first, then maximal flexion. My 2 cents worth!
 
I guess there is no data that shows long term definite benefit
Actually, there is quite a bit of literature about it, so 'the split' is not confined to BoneSmart!


May I also add my condolences about your dog. I had a really good companion cat euthanised about a year ago. Don't know which was worse, watching him suffer or watching him go to 'sleep'. :boohoo:
 
Saw my orthopod yesterday. He is happy with where I am. X-rays look great. Told me to keep working on extension. Overall a good visit. I did not feel a single staple being removed. Off to PT now. Good days ahead for all!
 
I too am sorry about the loss of your companion .
I found it odd our Goofus was dx Nov. 2009with cancer almost one month from the time my husbands bladder cancer was dx Oct. 2009. Vet thought Goof had six months lefts sadly he did not . By the next week he had stopped eating . I knew it was time . It was one of the hardest moments of my life taking him to the vet although it was a very quick .
We lost Goof but husband is still kicking .
 
I hope that is a fair trade for you...dog for the husband?? For some that is a tough call!
 
Well, I got to105 degrees flexion yesterday. My PT was happy. I guess I am doing ok, but man I wake up still at 3:30 or 4 and just hurt and ache and have such stiffness. I try to walk a fair amount on non PT days. I rode the bike today but it hurt every time around. I only went for 6 minutes. I feel like a slug. I should be doing computer work, writing papers etc. I just don't feel up to it. My OS thought I could drive in 7-10 days. He thought I could probably see some patients in the office after I am able to drive. Honestly, I don't see any way I can concentrate, sit and then get up and examine someone. Unless something exponentially changes in the near future, it will be a while. @Karringtyn, girl, you are a tough cookie. You are doing great. This surgery f'ing hurts! End of story!
 
Hiya Braindoc, uhm really?! Your OS thought you could drive AND see patients after 7-10 days of having your right knee totally replaced?! No wonder you feel like you're not doing enough. That's a ridiculous expectation for him to even put in the back of your mind and I'm sorry for that. I started driving at a little more than 2 weeks but ONLY because I had to and only to PT. I had no other choice and I was a nervous wreck each and every time. You need to give yourself a break doc (they say you guys are the worst patients) ;-), you had a HUGE surgery just 2 weeks ago! Stop walking around so much on your non PT days. You're doing great! The concentration factor will come back, in time, and when you're able to cut back on your pain meds, but 2 weeks out is NOT the time to try that. And yes, this surgery has levels of pain that I could never even imagine. It will get better though. I promise. It just takes time. Congrats on the 105 flexion btw; that's terrific.
 
You are doing great on the flexion! Be careful of over achieving...I was doing great in PT but got a little over enthusiastic at 3 weeks and ended up with a small setback...The internal swelling cut off my quad muscles and had great difficulty raising my leg for over a week. The best thing I learned from the forum is that recovery takes time, and despite my impatience, I can't make it go any faster. Surprised by the fatigue too...still have tired days at 7 weeks...and I am sleeping through the night. Do the best you can...for me each week brings improvement and that keeps me motivated!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom