Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braindoc recovering

@claire61, my original intent was 6 weeks. My wife thinks I should be off 8 I will see as time goes by. Frankly, at this stage, I could not imagine either being in surgery or even the office! The office is much more up and down and examining patients. That was harder after my ACL recon than surgery and I think it will be true this time as well. @Josephine, you could probably scrub a crani/burr holes in your sleep!!
I am making my first foray out for a social event. Lunch with my wife and daughter I never get to go out for lunch! My kids are out of school for the Rodeo! Yep, Tucson kids get a half week for the Rodeo! Good healing friends!
 
@nanamoon27 thanks for words if encouragement. I shall read your posts especially since you are far more techno savvy than I what with the insertion of links et al!!
 
I was in PT this morn. They put me on bike. I would half pedal forward, then half pedal backwards. Did that for a couple of minutes. Then, while going backwards, the surgical leg went full circle! Shocked the hell out of me because it felt so tight. Realized it was not hurting per se. I was then able to go full cycle front and back. Making progress, but I think it will be a bit sore later today! USA/CANADA hockey, then the Match Play golf in my near future. Good healing fellow knees
 
Excellent!! That's real progress this early in recovery.....the temptation now is to keep going and overdo it...Don't!
 
Great news Doc. You are well ahead of schedule. I was reading a gut wrenching thread a few minutes ago. The guy is still in the hospital with uncontrollable pain and a herd of nurse Ratchets 8 days post op. They say never ever compare recoveries but how could you not. I got my orders for outpatient PT starting the following next monday as I still have a few in home PT. Its been very very light. Stupid me do more when im alone creating swelling and lowering myROM. I need to slow down and lower my internal swelling which hardly shows from the outside. But its tight.. my bad. A little too much feeling full of it as my GF says all the time. BTW shes used to be a barrel racer and loves her horses. My goal is to be her cowboy some day . Now that I got rid of that old useless knee. Take care , keep it rolling
 
my original intent was 6 weeks. My wife thinks I should be off 8 I will see as time goes by. Frankly, at this stage, I could not imagine either being in surgery or even the office!
braindoc, please don't even consider this! You need 12 weeks off and then a Phased return to work. Truly, you should not be contemplating OR yet (though I'm sure you wouldn't be) as you won't be able to concentrate for such long periods with an aggravated knee and I know your work demands a specially intense kind of concentration! And clinics will also be a no-no until then though you should be able to cope with them during your phased return. Please don't rush into it.
@Josephine, you could probably scrub a crani/burr holes in your sleep!!
You flatter me, sir! :heehee: Neuro was always waaaaay out of my league and I unreservedly admire those who do it.
 
What a nail biter of a hockey game! Go Canada Go! Remember I told you that my os had hip replacement and when I asked him how long he took off, it was 12 weeks. Just something to think about...
 
Hi @braindoc, I'm really enjoying reading your posts. Josephine is right, it is 12 weeks off and a phased return. I am seven weeks into recovery and feel like I never want to go back! This coming out of the mouth of a previously self confessed workaholic!!!! I think for the first time in I don't know how many years, I've actually relaxed properly despite the discomfort!!! And secondly I'm enjoying not having to think, constantly make decisions, motivate, plan, counsel, support with the 16-18year olds that I teach in college! In their defence, they all made me a get well card each, bought me presents and made me a cake for the day I went off work. I have been like Cruella de Ville at times with them but also a bit motherly. I've heard it through the grapevine they keep nagging their stand in lecturer as to when I'm coming back. It's lovely but despite all this I really don't want to go back!!!! Maybe I'll feel differently in a few more weeks!!!! Anyway, you keep,doing this great recovery process. Catch you soon! Nana moon 27
 
@Nana moon 27 thank you for what you said on this post....I am trying to tell myself at 6 weeks I will be back to work (I waitress!) I know better...and a dose of reality is good every now and then...

@braindoc so how was your first outing? I forget are you using crutches/walker? I can't imagine going out to lunch at this point.....I think I would have a hard time sitting in one position.....and the whole walking from the car in....sounds exhausting....oh no I am sounding so lazy!!
 
I originally thought six weeks and back to work, NOT, I took 12 weeks of FMLA and probably will need it. I'm a hyper-active 51 YO male and sitting still is not my thing. Yesterday out shopping, eating, walking, about 4 hours enough for me, back home to the ice machine and wait for it to settle down, but getting better, hang in there.
 
Thanks for all the great posts and encouragement.

@Karringtyn, the outing for lunch went ok. I still use a walker when out of the house. After 45 minutes, I was done! Amazing the fatigue after surgery and how it suddenly hits you. The enchiladas were tasty.

@Nana moon 27, I don't know how you teach that age group! We have a 15 yo and 18 yo. They are really great kids, but they are still teenagers and they do know EVERYTHING!

@icep707 I am with you regarding the up and down of recovering. It changes hourly. I was feeling loose and strong yesterday after the bike. Slept terribly, got up at 0300 and could barely move my knee at all. Finally loosening up after some meds and movement.

Barrel racing! Tucson rodeo going on right now. I have some cowboy friends that ride and rope still. One of them is 70 years old and still out there kickin it!

@Josephine, the work thing is multi factorial. All of us surgeons have a certain ego that we have to be working because our patients need us. To a degree that is true. But, we are not indispensable. The other issues involve finances and sharing/carrying my load. I am in private practice. My overhead still clicking along. Paying malpractice, electricity, employees etc. but, if I am not there, there is no revenue to offset that. I am fortunate and blessed to be able to do what I do. I am financially secure, but I worry and our son is off to college in the fall. The money issue is not the one to drive me back to work.

The real issue is my 2 neurosurgery partners. If I am not there, call becomes every other night instead of every third. That gets onerous. I get consumed by guilt that they have to take my call. If roles were reversed, I would understand. I get all of that intellectually. My partners are great. They said take as much time as you need. But, it has been beaten into me from residency to step up to the plate and get the work done.

Sorry to ramble, I guess I am thinking it out in my post! Bottom line, I can't put my patients at risk. That will be the decider. When I am sure I can do my job and not put myself or my patients at risk. See, we figured it out. Thanks! I hope everyone has a great healing day.

Arizona basketball at 7, Indiana Hoosiers at 6
 
It is so amazing to hear a doctor's brain talk. I think most of us think our doctors are perfect and they don't have any issues. I would be lost without my regular doc,, how dare she have any medical issues. Seriously though....Give yourself this time. If you were an knee surgeon...what would you tell yourself as a doctor?

You sound pretty amazing mister! I have two teenagers too and a 9 year old..
 
Yes, indeed--you need to be in good form for your patients. Also if you try to go back too early you wouldn't be of much use to your partners either. Better to be in good shape and come back in good shape.
 
Hi @braindoc, I was a self confessed workaholic pre operatively, holding down two jobs. Like you and the ego thing, I also was convinced that if I was not there as part of the team it would all go wrong. Like you I felt that the students needed me and that I was letting them down because some cried when I left for the Christmas break ready to have my surgery! The only thing wrong about this is me about all of it!!! The place is still there, my jobs are being covered adequately as far as I am aware, and nothing has fallen apart either! The crazy thing is now is the fact that I could happily stay home now which is unheard of and not go back to work which is even more unheard of! My family and friends are in extreme shock about me making this statement!!! I don't know whether for the first time in many years I've had some proper head space. Time to reflect and ponder and that's what's made me feel like this. I have to go back, I know this but it is not going to be easy, which Is why, I think, a phased return to work is highly recommended!!! I did totally understand where you were coming from in your post!

Yet again enjoyed your post Braindoc!!!!!

Love Nana moon27
 
All of us surgeons have a certain ego that we have to be working because our patients need us. I get consumed by guilt that they have to take my call.
If roles were reversed, I would understand. I get all of that intellectually. My partners are great. They said take as much time as you need. But, it has been beaten into me from residency to step up to the plate and get the work done. The real issue is my 2 neurosurgery partners. If I am not there, call becomes every other night instead of every third. That gets onerous.
I do know. I reckon I have worked with something like 150 surgeons over the years. Probably more. I have lived with what drives you guys. I've coped with, nurtured and chivvied them along and still borne the wrath of their frustrations when they can't bring a patient to theatre just when they want because all the theatres are occupied! I've seen housemen falling asleep on the end of a retractor because they were up all night with emergencies and then required to assist all day in the theatre. And their boss's reaction to this? "It never did me any harm"!

But that's the kind of hardening and training that sets you chaps apart. I don't think there is any other profession or job that is quite so driven, committed and genuine as (most) surgeons and the pity of it is, that 'people' like the general public, politicians and even your non-surgical colleagues, don't get it, don't understand it and never come anywhere near as the same kind of commitment. During all my career it's been my credo to impress this upon my staff in the fact that being a scrubbed assistant means make the surgeon's job as easy and slick as possible by making sure he has instruments in his hand before he even knows he requires them!

Can you tell how much I loved my job? :heehee:
 
@Josephine ok I am confused....please do tell what is a theatre? I know what it is here and I know you don't mean going to the movies...
 
@Josephine...kind words. Thank you. You do understand the soul of the surgeon!

karringtyn, theater is the British term for surgical suite. "The operating theater". I do enjoy the proper Kings English!

I just returned from a near mile walk with my wife, daughter and one of our dogs! Bout killed me! Ice and elevation the rest of the day for me
 
Ah but ours were the originals!
Imagine being the patient on that operating table!
Mind you, they were usually far too sick to care!!

[Bonesmart.org] Braindoc recovering
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom