TKR Braindoc recovering

"I had to go to a meeting tonight."
@braindoc Use your brain. (Pick a lobe, any lobe.)
If you really "have to" go out, which I do understand, a couple of tips.
--Ace bandage. Not tight, but some compression.
--Prop up your leg as much as you can.
--Comfy shoes.
--Ice and really elevate when you get home. What the heck; put an ice chest in the car & ice on the way home.
It gets better. Honest.
 
I just woke up. Knee is really tight. Going to enjoy a day with my 9 year old....just watching movies and playing barbies and such. She is a true blessing. Please help me.....what is Aciphex? I am taking ibuprofen now and what a difference! When I first injured my knee I started using that and it was all I needed...kept the swelling down......but then for surgery a week before I had to stop. Tylenol doesn't do anything for me....but hurt my stomach. What is Voltaren gel? Like a bengay? Does that make a difference?
 
I have heard and read a lot about the dangers of taking too much NSAIDS. However, at the same time I have read that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is for fever and ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve), among others, are for pain. So I am somewhat confused although I do know that some of the heavy hitters like Percocet include acetaminophen.
 
Braindoc ! Whats been happening , hope all is well. Did you figure out what was causing that pain ? I mean , it could of been anything. After all a prosthetic was installed. I have certainly curtailed my activities as of late and my flexion is getting better. These next 2 weeks im going to do very little . Just therepy and focus on flexion . I like the stair exercises. Ill be honest im not a fan of the heelslide especially when internal swelling was present ! The morning stiffness is getting old , ill be happy when that subsides . Any idea when that subsides ???? Anybody !

Arizona lost yesterday, I wonder how many teams from pac 12 will make it to the dance . You ever watch spring training over there. Me and my buddy eventually want to travel the country in a RV and watch a MLB game in every stadiam in the majors. Kind of a bucket list thing . That would be fun . Well Doc , keep on , keeping on . Iceman
 
However, at the same time I have read that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is for fever and ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve), among others, are for pain. So I am somewhat confused
@Phil75070 Ibuprofen and naproxen are NSAIDs which stands for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs, emphasis on the "anti-inflammatory". When you reduce the inflammation on an injured limb or elsewhere, it alsi reduces the pain somewhat. But essentially, they are not actually analgesics or pain killers. Tylenol is but it also has the ability to reduce a fever though its primary action is as an analgesic and it is very effective at that.
 
That's why NSAIDs are often prescribed for RA which is inflammatory, but for post surgical pain acetaminophen works well--if you're taking 1,000 mg at a time. (no more than 3,000 per day) Some people also find some help from NSAIDs post surgery for that stiff feeling. there is a "cocktail" recipe in the library for using a combo of nsaids & tylenol that some people find works well.
 
The morning stiffness is getting old , ill be happy when that subsides . Any idea when that subsides ????

I'm with you on that, Iceman! ..... at 19 weeks out I still have a stiff knee first thing in the morning, which restricts me to about 115-120 flexion.... it takes me about 10 minutes on the exercycle + quad stretches to limber up to 130-135 or so. But from reading on here it sounds like hardly anyone is fully recovered within 6 months so we'll just have to grin and bear it for quite a while yet. :whistle:
Cheers, Al
 
@Karringtyn, aciphex is a proton pump inhibitor. Like Nexium, the little purple pill! Great for acid reflux, but also protects the stomach lining from the ill effects of ibuprofen type meds
@iceman: Arizona, ASU, Oregon, Sranford is up in the air, as is Utah. Cal prob in. Lots of losses end of season! The post season tourneys are going to decide a lot. Oregon made 10 3 pointers against Arizona. I like Sean Miller tho. He blamed their defense. He does not make excuses
When I go out, I do get up, walk around, prop my leg up and instantly ice and elevate when I get home.
Off to PT. Great day to all
 
Iceman, the other sad thing in reference to your post, Tucson lost all spring training teams!! We had 3 a few years ago. White Sox, Rockies and DBacks. Just terrible political idiots. They are all I'm the Phoenix area. Beautiful ball parks. Great facilities all around hotels restaurants etc. my son played at most of them this past summer in Showcase and junior Olympic baseball tourneys. We used to go to the spring training games and they were a blast. Players were always out and about and usually receptive to saying hi to kids etc. we blew it!
 
Ah thanks for the clarification....you docs throw around all these terms!!:shocked:
 
Is 'proton pump inhibitor' also what my sister calls a hangover pill?...stops the vomiting with alcohol?
 
@speccybecky, I have tried so many things for hangovers over the years. The best, hydrate. Lots of water. Nothing else really helps. Proton pump inhibitors, PPIs, reduce stomach acid production and that is why they help with reflux. If you have a bad GI system after a big night boozing, it might help a little.
 
Hey BrainDoc , congratulations on 1 month anniversary. I really cant complain about my recovery . Im ahead of where I thought I would be . I didnt know you guys lost those spring training teams, thats too bad. Right now im all about the GS Warriors. Ive suffered since 1975. Ive watched the niners do their thing in the 80s and 90s . The Giants recently but for the Warriors to do something that would be the greatest. My dad past away alittle after the Giants won the first world series in 2010. We thought it was poetic justice for him. He loved the Giants , took us to Candlestick as kids . And waited till they won it all , to pass on . Are you feeling better ? You were not kidding about PT ramping it up . Whew !! Well Doc, keep on keeping on !!
 
@NuNe4Me, I am hanging in there! Drove to the office and saw some patients this morning. Honestly, it was tougher than I thought it would be. Transitioning from the exam chair to standing to examine patients and back and forth and then back and forth from exam room to my office. The trouble, I think, is that the leg is dependent, not elevated for many hours. I was quite sore and stiff by 1PM and drove home. I elevated and iced. It was a good experiment. I am not ready to be back more fully yet. Getting my carpal tunnel fixed tomorrow! Baseball tourney next week. I. Will work the gate (with leg elevated). There is lots of ice there as well. Then, when we play I can chill and watch. The advantage of our son being a senior. The younger kids parents have to work while the varsity is playing.
Everyone keep working hard!
 
@braindoc sure have missed seeing your posts!!! Glad you are able to do what you do being so soon after surgery!!

Will work the gate (with leg elevated). There is lots of ice there as well. Then, when we play I can chill and watch. The advantage of our son being a senior. The younger kids parents have to work while the varsity is playing.
That's awesome! Hope they won and you had fun!!!!
 
Hey Braindoc. 6 weeks tomorrow my friend . It has went very fast. Sounds like you are being pretty active. Im pretty much the opposite. I have 6 more weeks to get ready for work . The 2 sons are grown and out. So all I do is PT and rest. What a life. My bracket almost went to shreds yesterday . I picked Wisconsin to win it all and when they were down 12 at half , I was punching myself. We do fantasy football and the tournament annually for big money. I stay away from fantasy baseball. Oh boy Villanova , just lost , u conn is unbelievable. Anyways I set myself back by going to Costco on Wednesdays , where I know all the guys , since thats where im employed. Well , I spent 4 hours chit chatting with everyone . I did that , went to lunch and did PT prior to all that. Plus dumb me forgot my meds. I was exhausted when I got home and now the discomfort feels like its in the bone. I wasnt ready for that activity. Im guilty of ODIC. I hope your sons team did well, will he be going to a local college? Scholarship ? OK Doc. Im watching Stanford vs Kansas. Take care .
 
Between your TKR and carpal tunnel surgeries, hope you are recovering nicely and enjoying that 6 week mark! :thumb:
 

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom