Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braindoc recovering

@jeano, great post! Hahaha. I loved the "shaken Orthopod syndrome" reference.
I appreciate all the encouragement regarding my return to work issues. Amazingly, none of the "why aren't you back yet?"folks understand that I am paying all my overhead etc, despite no revenue. It is what it is. I am toughening up about my choices. Earlier today, I thought, maybe I can see some patients in a week. Then, an hour later, after sitting for 15 minutes, I could barely bend my leg! April is seeming almost too early now!
 
Hey Braindoc !! You have been a very busy boy today !! And if I read right, a naughty boy . Sleep for me is still impossible, lucky to get 3 hours. And it really getting me down . Someone suggested that maybe Tramadol might be another reason for the lack of sleep . Ive never taken meds before this surgery so its all new.

Im still bummed , you guys were able to steal Aaron Gordon from the bay area. I will however be rooting for the wildcats during the tournament. Got to stay loyal to the PAC 12. Should be a great tournament this year. Its wide open !! I grow up strangely enough a big east fan from the 80s. The good old days. Fell in love with basketball the first time I saw DR.J dribble and dunk the ball. Oddly enough if it wasnt for basketball , I wouldnt have needed a knee replacement this early on .

Its too early to do anything ! but by 6 weeks I think we will have a better grasp of whats going on. So the mantras should still apply. Alot of rest, elevation and ice. Keep up the great work . Oh yeah. The NFL wants to ban that word. Can you imagine !!!
 
April is seeming almost too early now!

Hang in there @braindoc. There is a turning point in healing at 6 weeks; the improvement is noticeable. Sleeping is easier, (though you may still have insomnia for awhile), stamina improves considerably, and "all of a sudden" you will realize how much better you feel. :yes:

You'll still be achy and stiff at times but it will be less, and instead of noticing the pain as much, you'll notice the zingers (not painful :)) as the nerves regenerate.

Try a handheld shower massager on the muscles around the knee before PT or to help with the stiffness; very soothing on the muscles. Then ice after PT.

If you have issues getting up and down from a chair, especially continuously at work, try a straight back chair. Easier to use your arms to help push up for awhile and allows those knee muscles a rest.

It is tiring at first resuming a normal 40 hour schedule; cannot imagine returning to surgery and needing to stand for hours on end. But if you are able to ease in, such as see patients at first, are faithful in keeping the knee up and iced while not with patients, it will go along way to making your return workable.

By this time next year, your knee will be healthy and incredibly better than before your TKR. :SUNsmile:
All the best!

 
+1! Absolutely my experience at 6 weeks as regards being able to sleep and realizing, hey, I got this! Also will second the hand-held shower stuff--in fact, at this point (nearly 4 months out) all the "PT" I do consists of a few bends in the shower with a foot up on the low shelf and warm water running over the leg. Feels good.
 
Thanks @jeano. Great advice. In retrospect, I see the incredible strides I have made. Walker to cane to unaided. Riding the bike, etc. I drove yesterday for the first time. Went to local Catholic Church for Ash Wednesday. Told Fr Harry I was violating doctors orders by driving in order to get my ashes. He laughed, ashed my forehead and absolved me of driving sins! Happy to see others improving. It is an overall great life changing surgery
 
@braindoc -Alas no ashes for me this year-worked 4-midnite, no make that 2AM (rough night) on Tues and back to work Wed after barely 4 hours sleep--just could not face two trips to town (ashes being done noonish) or worse killing time in town for 2-3 hrs until time for work. Didnt fast either, told Mr Jeano I was playing the age card at least for Ash Wed. Maybe I'll be up for it by Good Friday.

Feeling my age today but more in the old knee than in the new one, on the one hand its good to know that the new knee is in fact the better one now, on the other it means I'm gonna have to get the second one done at some point--the process doesnt horrify me but the logistics are problematic with Mr Jeano working full time, the problem of the Ancient Mother, and my sneaking suspicion that I might be pushing the knee agenda to get another 2 months off work (guilty Catholic conscience).
 
Well, I think I have been doing better than I expected, until the past 3 days. I have had severe, sharp pain medial compartment of the knee. It is red, half dollar sized area, very tender to the touch and exceedingly painful deep there. Any flexion gives increased pain it keeps me awake even more than usual. PT backed way off on flexion maneuvers today. I did do 8 minutes on the elliptical back and forwards without much pain. But, I have really curtailed my walking due to this. Anyone else have a similar experience?
I hope not, but it would be good to know. No fevers, incision looks great, no drainage
Braindoc
 
Well, I think I have been doing better than I expected, until the past 3 days.
We have all gone through these roller coaster rides---we feel like we are making progress, and then, we seem to take a few steps backwards.

I will, however, tag @Josephine and @Orthodoc and @Jamie in order to help you out.

I would listen to your knee and keep it happy---we do, every now and then, do too much and feel too good, and that does put the knee over the edge.
 
Ahh Braindoc, welcome to the ODIC (over did it club) - I was worried that all of your activities (no, not taco tote) would come back to bite you in the tush. Your long walks and jaunts to the store and golf course took a minute to catch up to you, but now you know. I hope you plan to take it easy this weekend. Being right around week 4, I wonder if it's your soft tissues and nerves coming back to life and letting you know in a less than pleasant way. I had tons of 'zingers' around that mark, but I'm not sure that's what you're having. I never had any redness or a specific area that was painful to touch consistently. I wonder if you didn't just over-exert with activities and you've pinched something.

Fr Harry didn't covertly kick you while ashing you for showing up post Taco Tote, did he? :heehee:
 
Im sorry to hear about this turn of event. Ill tell you what my OS told me today TAKE IT EASY ! I told him what I do daily and his eyes bugged out . He keep saying its too early ! I know this and you know this . Cant give you medical advice on this situation , ill attempt to flag Momma @Josephine for you in hopes that she can give you sound advice , BTW shes on deck for another tkr. Take care Doc
 
was worried that all of your activities (no, not taco tote) would come back to bite you in the tush. Your long walks and jaunts to the store and golf course took a minute to catch up to you, but now you know. I hope you plan to take it easy this weekend.
Agreed---when you feel great---it is too easy to overextend yourself---and thus, push the knee too far.

I hope you plan to take it easy this weekend.
Yep---do very, very little---except ice/elevate and rest---and do that A LOT!!!

I did do 8 minutes on the elliptical back and forwards without much pain.
I was told to stay away from the elliptical for quite some time after the surgery---I believe that it is too early for you on this.
 
I had itinerant pains in weird areas that would last 24-36 hours. When I way overdid it at 9 weeks, I was out of commission for anything beyond staying close to home for almost 10 days.
 
I had those "zingers" and migrating pains---some sharp and some were dull.

My knees also sent me messages in no uncertain terms when I did too much. In effect, they did a "Sit down strike" They would go on strike, and I would have to sit down---and then elevate and rest and ice.
 
May I be so bold as to ask you to indicate the exact site of your pain using this chart?
I have a suspicion about what that could be ...

[Bonesmart.org] Braindoc recovering


[Bonesmart.org] Braindoc recovering
 
Okay, that looks like either the MPFL or the upper leg of pes anserinus - wouldn't you agree?
Either way, it's our old friend tendinitis which I am sure you already knew!
Pes anserinus spasm and exercises

[Bonesmart.org] Braindoc recovering


Treatment - I don't think I need to tell you do I?
 
@Josephine, I think that is a definite component of it. Contributed to by my pre-surgical gait, as most of us used our hip, circumducting etc. oddly, it was really bad all day yesterday. I slept poorly, up at 0300, but, I have nit felt that pain at all yet today., keeping fingers crossed. I have been increasing the NSAIDs, thanks!
 
Oh friend. We are very similar!! PLEASE take the advice of all the wise people here and please update!!!
 
@Karringtyn, I thought it would be a great day. Did my exercises. Went on a simple walk, not too far. Lots of ice and elevation, nut, the pain returned. I am using NSAIDS, I take Aciphex, and they work markedly better for me than Tylenol. I had to go to a dinner meeting tonight. That did not help. I am also using Voltaren gel and a compounded cream of all sorts of stuff. I think it will just be this way for a while. Nights blow. It is what it is and I will survive. I knew it was going to be a significant recovery. Hope you are doing well!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom