Guest viewing is limited

TKR Braindoc recovering

Congratulations and welcome to the other side! You sound like you are doing wonderfully! I hope you continue to do well and get some sleep. Please update us on your PT today.

Take care! :flwrysmile:
 
@scaredinCA, thank you for the kind words. I have been blessed to be able to enjoy very much what I do. I look forward to the return to work
I started PT today. My PT is great. Workd me hard as I have had such poor extension ever since the injury 2 years ago. I was able to get to 4 degrees extension and 98 flexion. I have read all the materials provided by the moderators. Such valuable info! I am using one of the methods to elevate my leg currently. I am still taking the narcotics and I assume I will be for a period of time in the future.i just notice that the NSAIDS help me better with the muscular pain. Good night. I hope everyone gets some sleep tonight!
Braindoc
 
Most excellent on the ROM @braindoc! :SUNsmile:

You'll be golfing without your goofy knee brace in no time!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you're doing great @braindoc. Taking your meds, doing your pt, elevating and getting good results:thumb:
 
@Josephine, oh don't you worry! I am no dummy! Pain meds are prescribed for a reason and I am taking them. This surgery hurts more than any I have ever had, and most likely, any that I do!
I did notice increased swelling today that I am attributing to my PT yesterday. I have done less today. A few walks, my exercises. But much more elevation and ice.it is a marathon with various sprints scattered during the race!
Braindoc
 
Jolly good, sir!

I actually had an interesting conversation with a London based very experienced knee surgeon a week or so back. He said that his father had a knee replacement about a year ago and he was totally shocked at how difficult the recovery was. He was actually quite taken aback (he said) as he'd been doing TKRs for years and never had the slightest idea how tough it was. He said that since then he's had a whole new approach to his patients and their pain management!

Of course I've always said that every doctor and nurse working in surgery should undergo a surgery so they can fully empathise with their patients. How'd you think that would work with neuro? :heehee:
 
@Josephine, I don't fancy my own craniotomy! Haha! Being a patient now and then is good for the soul for physicians and nurses. Especially surgery for surgeons. Seeing the world we live in from the other side is (or at least should be) eye opening. We tend to forget the assault we make on a person. Physical, emotional and spiritual. Our defense mechanisms keep us in the "technician" mode. Thus, many surgeons lose empathy. Having said that, healthcare is still like Christmas: this better to give than receive!
 
It's good to see a dr. following the BS mantra. It's been my experience lately that Dr.'s are becoming more and more empathetic, and that they're practicing because they like helping people. I appreciate what you said about the "physical, emotional, and spiritual assault" surgery is on the body. You're going to love playing golf without that brace.
 
Quite so, @braindoc I remember an occasion when I was a young theatre nurse, that I cut my finger on a scalpel and the then registrar told me to spray some OpSite on it. to which I replied "no fear - that stiff stings!" A couple of weeks later he did exactly the same thing so I told him to spray OpSite on it and when he declined, reminded him that's what he had told me to do. Then came the classic and unforgettable response "Ah but that's the best thing about being a doctor - you can tell other people to do things you wouldn't necessarily do yourself"!!! :loll:
 
@Josephine...haha! Re: the being a doctor thing! I was a bit worried yesterday. The knee was really swollen. I assumed it was from PT the day before. I iced, compressed elevated all day. My PA came by to see me. She used to work for an Orthopod. I think she was dismayed by the amount of swelling. However, I have not had a significant increase in pain and actually did rather well with PT today. After my last 2 knee surgeries, I would have lots of swelling and that persisted 1 year after surgery with any activity. I think some patients are more prone to swelling/increased fluid shifts compared to others. I am still doing my CPM 0-90. Feels good. I hope my fellow Valentines knees are coming along well!
 
The knee was really swollen. I assumed it was from PT the day before. However, I have not had a significant increase in pain
The two aren't intrinsically linked but either or both will hinder your ROM. Be careful you aren't doing too much at PT as those gals (and guys!) can be a little over-ambitious with TKR folk and come out with all the myths like "no pain, no gain" and "the window of opportunity" and all that rubbish! Contrary to popular opinion, knees actually don't need a huge amount of exercising, just sensible exercising. You might like to read the potted version of my recovery to see how little exercising I did! Knee recovery - UK style

I trust you read the articles Jaycey left you in post #2 of this thread?


**nag nag nag nag** :heehee:
 
If medical school taught me anything @Josephine, it was how to read! I voraciously read most anything that comes my way. That is one reason why I am so thankful to,have found this gem, BoneSmart. Tremendous amounts of info at a variety of levels. You admins have done quite a bit of work. I commend you all! I think my PT is concerned because I started with such bad extension pre-op in conjunction with the ligamentous laxity. He knows I need to be able to "lock my knee" so I can stand when I return to my usual occupation. I may be in surgery, standing for 12-16 hours a day, 2 or 3 days in a row. I will get there and today I told them I needed to back off on something that we were working on due to the pain. (Prior to joining this site, I can assure you I would have tougher it out!!). So, you all who have tremendous amounts of experience and research have helped me:)
Braindoc
 
Doc, no one here would wish this surgery on their worst enemy but we are gratified to here it from your perspective. I'm celebrating my 2 yr anniversary tomorrow. To this day, not one person who treated me during my bilat, including an entire platoon of physical therapists had replaced any of their parts! They were a terrific group of people and without exception, the NURSES were the heros! How they withstand the barrage of pain induced hysteria at 3am in an ortho ward is beyond me, but thank goodness they are a proactive bunch who have no problem going toe to toe with the docs when necessary. Good luck with that swing!
 
If medical school taught me anything @Josephine, it was how to read!
:doh: Of course! That was truly stupid of me not to remember!
That is one reason why I am so thankful to,have found this gem, BoneSmart. Tremendous amounts of info at a variety of levels. You admins have done quite a bit of work. I commend you all!
Can I say how that makes me feel both humble and proud? Thank you so much for the compliment!
I may be in surgery, standing for 12-16 hours a day, 2 or 3 days in a row.
I remember it well! I know ortho is not generally quite so arduous as neuro, it does have its moments. But neuro was never my cup of tea though I did scrub for a burr holes once ......
[Bonesmart.org] Braindoc recovering
1964, if I remember correctly! :rotfl: (Gosh :yikes: - that was 50 years ago!)
 
Congrats for getting to the other side! My surgeon in Toronto had just returned from a hip replacement when he did my tkr/hto in late November. He could totally relate to my discomfort and we were comparing bruising! It was pretty funny! How long do you figure you will be off?
 
Re swelling, try some compression, too. Not too much -- not one of those elastic braces, but an Ace bandage, wrapped snugly but not tight. And please don't keep it on too long.

(And here I thought neurosurgeons just had swollen heads.)
 
Hello @braindoc from across the pond!!!!! I have been reading your posts with a great deal of interest. I have been to h and back with my recovery. However, finally now I appear to have turned a corner and I'm progressing at a rate of knots!!! Hooray!

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on a little advice that I have found out the hard way! Less is more and quality not quantity. The other thing is that you deserve a pat on the back for standing up to the PT and not hurting yourself. Good on you. I will tag you into my thread, to access my posts, so that you can have a read if you get bored or something. They are very honest, especially the early ones, where I got the post op,blues!!!

Good luck Braindoc with your recovery and I wish you a speedy one! I also hope that you managed to nap in the night x

Gosh I'm getting good on this marvellous site I have inserted a link to my recovery page!

If anyone else wants to read it please feel free!! I hope it may help someone, somewhere, somehow, particularly the earlier posts

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/woohoo-im-starting-to-feel-better.22950/page-18#post-564839

Love @Nana moon 27
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the photo of your knee.....oh how familiar that looks! Amazing how "nasty" they can look and then turn out so well. Congrats on your excellent progress!!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom