Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

Hi Deb,

Living life isn't it lovely!! Are your cats Maine-coons? Not sure if you have said before or now I forget if I had asked that before.

Great update love the supermarket tale taking the shortcut. I've been catching myseldf the last few weeks walking in places that I wouldn't have done earlier, especially across this field area we have with Miles. The confidence just gets stronger and stronger everyday!

Hope your weekend is going well!

xxooxx
 
Hi Sarah! Yes the cats are pure bred Maine Coons - they are sisters though they don't look too much alike nor do they have similar personalities - and they are not the best of buddies. They will be 7 years old this June. Their names come from the language of the Penobscot tribe in Maine - Mihku means red squirrel - and she IS the squirrelly one of the pair. And M'Toulin means magic - she is more laid back and prefers to observe rather than race to take a jump at anything new.
 
Deb, I always chuckled when I see the photo of them in your signature because they remind me of two hand retractors in an instrument tray! The pattern on the floor looks like the perforated aluminium tray and their tails look like the business end of a surgical retractor, bodies being the handles!
 
Hi Deb,

That's a beautiful breed! My old coworker had two of them and they are really like the garfields of the cat world. Very cool. My other girlfriend is a major ferrel cat volunteer here in Dallas, it's her life..every weekend she is at the local
Petsmart helping, she even stages their crates so when you first see them they look really relaxed and beautiful in their surroundings. Plus they all seem to know her....each one of them. I've helped out a few times with the rare rescues. I'm her very last resort phone call because I just get itchy and don't feel well after spending too much time around cats. Not bad like some people who instantly react, just not great.

My Miles met a cat over the christmas holidays for the first time at a neighbors house and he's still really a baby at 17 months well to me he is :). He was in complete shock and just sat looking at this black cat, he was completely stumped it was very funny!

Great names you chose too! All pets are such great companions. Everyday I'm completely happy I got Miles.

xxooxx
 
:th_heehee: - Jo - now that is an interesting "interpretation" of the kitties - and here I've always thought I caught them practicing for the synchronized cat dancing competition. LOL they were only about 6 months old when the picture was taken - and that is my kitchen floor they are "dancing" on.

Sarah - did Miles ever figure out what a cat was? Did he eventually make friends with the "alien"? LOL my two have never met a dog - though they are good friends (albeit only from opposite sides of the window screens) with the squirrels who live in the trees around the house - and have had through the screen chats with other neighborhood cats (and a few travelers), multiple birds, a couple of raccoons, and an opossum.

Saw my general practice doctor today about pain in my right shoulder - he thinks it's probably a rotator cuff problem - so a referral was sent to PT for me to work with them about it and I'm to continue the Ibuprofen for a while - other options discussed were cortisone injection and/or referral back to orthopedic surgery to see if surgery is needed - I opted to start with conservative measures and try PT for a while - I'm just not ready to consider more surgery right now.
But he was really impressed at how well I'm doing with the new hips :) And pleased that I've maintained my weight loss - And I had no problems walking the almost quarter mile from car parking space to his office ..... last time I did that (months before my surgery) I was practically in tears when I got back to my car because of the pain from walking that far.
 
Deb,

Good luck with your shoulder. So happy for you walking without pain, oh the wonderful results of this surgery.
 
Hi Deb,

Great to hear your progress. I am 4 weeks out today from my bilateral surgery, and am encouraged by your posts. I will keep my thread current and hope to continue my journey back to an active happy lifestyle.
 
Ye gads has it been that long since I last posted??? Where has the time gone? LOL guess it's true - time sure flies when you're having fun :th_heehee:

So what's new? PT has started me on shoulder exercises - stretching and strengthening ones - added to the hip ones. Hip exercises were not changed this time - but she was pleased with my progress. She (the main PT - Robyn - the other gal who sees me every other week is a PT tech - Rita) had me do each of the hip exercises and at the "stand on one leg as long as you can" one - she was impressed. I managed 34 seconds on left leg and 26 seconds on the right leg - she said she'd expected me to do 10 seconds - :snork: She also said my range of motion and strength of leg muscles is coming along nicely.

So I'm pretty much back to before Arthur Ritis came to live with me functioning! The only thing I still have not been able to do is put a sock on my right foot in a "normal" manner - but it's getting closer and closer every day :)

I went to the grocery/multi-things store the other day and wandered around for nearly 2 hours - with NO hip pain! Boy does that feel great. :sleep: I'm also sleeping well - usually I get 6-7 hours a night - and it's cats or bladder that wakes me up :cat-kittyandsmiley:

One of the things I've noticed and have had to get use to is that my center of gravity/balance has shifted once again - before surgery since I could not really stand up straight because of how bad my hips were it was in one place - and now that I can stand and walk fully upright -and have lost a bit of weight- it's gone back to where it's supposed to be :thumb: But it took a bit for me to realize this. Years ago I learned centering and grounding exercises - and it has helped to do those a couple of times to remind my body of where the center of me really is - and grounding - sending an energy "rope" down into Mother Earth has helped a lot in regaining my sense of balance and .... helped me to be able to stand on one foot for longer than expected :yes 4: What ever weight differential there might be between the amount of bone removed from my hips and the implants does not seem to have made any difference. I asked my OS's nurse one time about that weight differential - and she had no idea what it might be - and I forgot to ask the OS when I saw him.

Weight loss - when I saw my primary care doctor about the shoulder my weight was 137lbs - down from 185lbs 18 months ago :) So this LOL (little old lady) is doing well - and looking forward to getting out in the garden - as soon as Mother Nature has finished her last throes of winter..... after a rather mild winter we've had snow nearly every day for the past week! Fortunately it does not stick for long and there has been no accumulation here in the city - but the local skiers and mountain athletic venue owners are very happy!

Blessings to all BoneSmart folks - and if you are considering or know you need a bilateral procedure - find an OS who does them routinely and GO FOR IT!
 
You sound wonderful! Great job with the weight loss, it should help with all things (hips, shoulders, gardening, etc.) Looking forward to the day I can shop for 2 hours, I'm up to about 30 min. (baby steps, we will get there). Keep going, you are inspiring us...
 
Hey Deb...

You really are getting a head to toe work out!! you sound fabulous, I love the shopping for a couple of hours part with NO pain, isnt everything great!

Thats a big chunk of weight AWESOME! Thank goodness the weather is shifting too, I'm smiling knowing you will be back in the garden enjoying the normal things. The time seems to have gone quickly since we were all bed bound sharing about our poop, soreness, aches, sleepiness times heheheheh!

I completely appreciate you and your continued support, love and well just being there.

Night Night,

xxooxx
 
:cat-kittyandsmiley: Another milestone today - I wrangled two big feisty Maine Coon cats into their crates for a grooming session! And had to chase the bigger one upstairs, haul her fuzzy butt out from under the guest room bed, then carry 20+ pounds of wriggling, complaining feline down the stairs again to get to her crate. I sure could not have done this alone 5 months ago! In fact the last time they went for grooming my house mate had to do most of the cat wrangling and carry them to the car for me!

Thankfully my groomer has added in home grooming sessions - which makes life much easier - and less stressful for the coonie girls - they really do not like riding in the car - the "rolling monster" makes them whine and complain very loudly :th_heehee: So groomer now has both cats in the bathroom - while they do not like this procedure - they look so gorgeous afterwards - and feel better with all the excess fur gone and their other grooming needs attended to.

Life on two functional pain free hips is terrific! And the sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, and Spring has sprung~ And the shoulder is feeling a bit better too!

:th_heehee: I lined up most of the current Bilaterals here - we two-hip-sters gotta stick together.
 
Deb, your posts were real day-brighteners!!! I love hearing success stories like yours!
 
Hey Deb

How fantastic are you doing!

Jungle fighting with the cats now.. So descriptive, I was there laughing my head off (sorry)..

Here are a few more creatures to keep you company.....



xoxoxoxoxoxx
 
Hi Deb,

Love the cat herding part! You are lucky to have someone come to your home and groom them nice :). Cats are much tougher to handle than say Miles he's 20lbs little porker hehehehehe!

Yes Spring has sprung isn't it lovely.

It's great news you are feeling well and doing really good, glad shoulder is playing nice too!

Have a good week.

xxooxx
 
Herding cats, eh? I know what you mean about them not liking car travel. My big lad actually opens his mouth WIDE and pants like a dog with his tongue hanging out! It really upsets me to see it but what can you do? He has to go to the vet.
 
Hi Deb,
Great to read of your wonderful continuing progress. I enjoyed reading your account of cat wrangling, gave me a good laugh. I bathed my 4 dogs yesterday, small dogs (Cavaliers) but still takes time doing them.
Like you its good to be getting back to regular chores these days, though again I can relate to pre surgery and the inability to do many things back then. Life certainly is good isn't it, post op, we're only a week apart.
 
Hi Deb & Sue

Lovely to hear that life is returning to normal.

It is fun isn't it :)
 
Hi Deb, had to go hunting for you, so brought you forward...

How are you doing. Seems like pre bone on bone pain life is returning to normal for you. I am so thrilled for you.

Lots of love and big, big hugs xoxoxoxxox
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom