Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEB

65 is the new 45, so now you have new hips, just have to get the shoulder pain free and you can drop another few years off.

Lots of love honey and I hope you have a wonderful day xoxoxoxoxoxox
 
(((Sarah))), (((Sandy))) - You two are the bestest of ladies! I thank you for the birthday greetings and your continued support - it means so much to me!

Well maybe the steroid injection is kicking in a bit - shoulder seems somewhat more comfortable and a tad bit more flexible - time will tell if any more progress than that will happen.

Hips continue to be wonderful - climbed up my step-stool/short ladder today to get something off the top shelf - and of course realized that top shelf needs major cleaning - it's been a long time since I was able to actually see the shelf. These adventures in trying out new hips can be fraught with unexpected consequences ... :th_heehee:

Got a funny B'day card from my cousin (the one who was with me after surgery) - picture this: middle aged woman standing naked (with wrinkles, sags, bulgy areas showing) in front of a counter that has a sign that says "Alterations" - caption is woman saying "I need to have my birthday suit taken in". Thankfully since my hip surgery I don't need quite as extensive alterations as I would have needed before ;) Weight loss and increased activity has helped so much - I'm down to a size 12 from a size 18 6 months ago! And my wonderful cousin just finished a 25 mile bike trek around the Olympic Peninsula! I think I'd like to do that with her next year :)

"65 is the new 45" - well maybe the new 55 anyway :th_heehee:
 
Hehehehehehe!!

Oh, ok it can be the new 55 is you don't want to be 45 haha..

I am looking forward to being an eccentric old woman myself, not a grumpy old woman, just eccentric...

lol Deb and Sarah xxxxx
 
:th_heehee: I already am an eccentric old lady, Sandy - not quite in danger of becoming a crazy cat lady - but I only have 2 cats ..... so far.

Had a fairly quiet birthday - my neighbor brought me a lovely hanging planter of purple petunias that now is enjoying the breeze on my front porch. My housemate cooked dinner - or actually breakfast for dinner - scrambled eggs, lovely sausages, toast ...... and a huge slice of very decadent chocolate cake for dessert! He is such a dear fellow! Tomorrow I'm going out to dinner with a couple of friends which should be a lot of fun.

My housecleaner and I cleaned out that cupboard mentioned above - it is my spice cupboard and we got the giggles at finding containers of very aged herbs and spices - one tin of dry mustard came with me from Virginia to Oregon in 1980! So the spice cupboard has been purged, cleaned, straightened and a list has been made of what needs to be replaced - and house cleaner took home a couple of bottles of cinnamon and one of paprika as I had multiple bottles of each.

Now off to slumber land :)
 
Morning Deb,

Sorry I didn't pop. On yesterday to say hello and happy birthday! Happy post birthday. Wow you must be feeling extra great size 12 from 18 is an amazing accomplishment. Ooooooo that breakfast you had with the chocy cake sounds yummy. I treated myself yesterday and finally opened a bottle of red wine and drank small glass with a friend it was sooooooo nice! I'm so happy you are doing well, there are quite a few of us nov-dec hippies that have come through with high flying colors. Good feeling cleaning out the spice cabinet uh!! I think anytime you can spring clean it's feels great. I need to jump into my closet really bad and clean out some stuff, things like jeans, tshirts.....

Hope y continue your Bday celebrations over the weekend!

Lots of love,

xxooxx
 
Thanks Sarah :)

Dinner out with my friends was lovely! We walked the 6 blocks to the restaurant and had a delightful Thai meal. I had chicken curry which was delicious. And even sitting on an unpadded chair did not cause any distress for my new hips :thumb:

After dinner we ambled back to my house and had yet another chocolate cake - my friend Linda brought to me as a birthday treat :) She also brought me a lovely planter that can eventually be transplanted in my garden. I am blessed with such wonderful friends - and next week another 2 friends are taking me out to brunch - they had other commitments on my birthday but insist on extending the celebration - and who am I to say no to such delightful insistence? :biggrin:

And rather off BS/hippie topic - I have been having an amazing week! I got a letter (paper, snail mail, pictures enclosed) from a fellow I went to elementary school with - just out of the blue. How he tracked me down I'm not sure but it was fun to hear from him. He claimed (rather tongue in cheek I'm sure) to be my "first boyfriend" - and one of the pictures he enclosed was of him, me and his younger brother sitting in a big chair together and he has his arm around my shoulders - we all have big grins on our faces - and look to be about 3-4 years old. And gee I was so cute way way way back then - pity it didn't last :snork: On Thursday this "first boyfriend" ( cool your jets, ladies - he's very happily married) called me to say hi and happy birthday. We talked for almost 2 hours catching up and reminiscing

Anyway some of the folks who went through High School in the school district where I went to kindergarten through 5th grade have been trying to contact EVERY person who would have been in the HS class of 1965 had they stayed in the district for all 13 years of school. AND they are having a " '65 turns 65" party this summer in my home town! I have not been back there in over 40 years - and I am going to go back for this party and also to see my brother who I haven't seen in about 7 years - and a couple of cousins I haven't seen in a long time - and maybe do a meet up with some online folks from BS and another board I am an admin on - and revisit some places I was very fond of back when I was much younger. Oh yeah and I'll get to see if I set of alarms at the airport metal detectors :hysterical: And through this reconnection I learned that the governor of the state of Oregon (who has been a very good and popular governor - and is an emergency room MD) went to 8th and 9th grade in this school district and he has been invited to the shindig! "First boyfriend" was actually a close friend of the gov's during those 2 years. They don't know yet if he will attend - but it may turn out that I travel all the way across the US just to meet the governor of the state I live in ( keep cooling those jets ladies - he too is happily married) ..... I've been getting the giggles all week with all this coincidental feast of fabulous serendipity.

Well off to check out airfares - I guess it's really too soon to start packing - the shindig isn't until mid July ..... but I can start the "to do" list - lose another 10-15 lbs, go through clothes to find fun and appropriate clothing, pin brother down on where he will be in July and can I use one of his cars for my rambles, etc, etc, etc. :yahoo: :dancy: :hapydancsmil::egypt-dance: These hips are made for walking .... and dancing .... and traveling
 
Hey Deb,

As usual I read about food and get hungry the chicken curry sounds delic!

I love the story with the letter....very cute and nice. The trip sounds good too! Yes serendipity is a groovy thing....LOVE!

xxooxx
 
Happy belated 65th Birthday Deb
I enjoyed reading all about your birthday celebrations, your updates are always fun to read, lots of description and often about food, your cats sound characters with plenty of personality.
cheers :doggieshmooze: :ccheers:
 
Thanks Sue It's good to hear from you :) I've been enjoying reading your thread too - it's wonderful to see that you are recuperating so well! :thumb:

Not much new this week - cleaning out more hidey holes with my house cleaner yesterday did lead to an attack of the giggles - I have way too many suitcases! And 2 of them are big enough to stash a body in! So we were talking about my upcoming trip and I was saying I was going to take a smallish bag for a 3 week trip - and she said how can you fit all you'll need for 3 weeks into a small bag - and I replied well I'll be staying with my brother and he does have a washing machine - and we got started giggling because both of us have the mind set that if you go off on vacation it's a time to NOT do housework - including laundry! I confess I was not born with a "pack lightly" gene! But since I'm going to have to schlep my own bag(s) around airports (thank goodness they finally invented good luggage wheels!) I want to make a concerted effort to keep it small. And I'll have to take clothing for both casual and dress up events - and New England weather in July is usually hot and muggy - and I want to look stylish and coordinated - :hysterical: This from the gal who has worn flannel pj bottoms for 6 months!

Shoulder issues - I got a steroid injection from my regular doctor on 4/16 - and alas it has not helped much :sigh: I saw PT on Wednesday (4/25) and my ROM has improved only slightly in a couple of directions - and not moved at all in others. The injection helped slightly with pain - but again not completely. My doc said to give it a couple of weeks and let him know how I was doing .... so it looks like x-rays and a trip to a shoulder OS is next up on the agenda. Still no definitive word on what exactly the problem is -

Hips are doing great! The cleaning out of storage areas on Wednesday involved getting into the under the eaves area on my top floor and rooting out all the stuff stored there - so standing hunched over and dragging out heavy suitcases, boxes, etc. and getting down on the floor and back up again. My DNH (Darling New Hips) had nary a word of protest for all that awkward maneuvering :yes 4: My PT said getting a bike would be a great idea though she recommended trying a stationary one first since it's been .... oh let me think 50 years since I last rode a bike? It is said that riding a bike is one of those skills you never forget .... well experiment coming up to test out that theory :loll:

Well off to the Goodwill store to drop off more trash and treasures gleaned from the excursions into storage areas :) Hope you all have a lovely weekend -
 
Hi Deb, a VERY BELATED HAPPY HIPPY BIRTHDAY! I'm so sorry I missed it. Sounds like you had a great time! It's so encouraging to read wonderful posts like yours - all those exciting things happening in your life, just at the time when you and your DNH's are ready for them! I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful summer and really enjoy that 'coincidental feast of fabulous serendipity' (what a great phrase!)
 
Ye gads where has the time gone?! Sorry it's been so long since I posted last .... I've just been busy living life ;)

The hips are terrific! I bound out of bed each morning and race the cats down stairs to the breakfast table - they still usually win the race but hey! they have 4 legs to my 2 ;) :cat-kittyandsmiley: My right leg is still a bit weaker than the left and getting right sock on still is a bit of a challenge as that leg does not bend up to go across left knee - but it gets closer every day. I spent 4 hours a couple of weeks ago walking around a craft exhibit with a friend - and walking on concrete too - plus walking 4-5 blocks down then up hill to get from and to the car park - with nary a twinge or complaint from the hips! :yes 4:

I had x-rays taken of the right shoulder and saw an orthopedic PA (physician's assistant) a couple of weeks ago - the verdict is that there is practically no space left between bones in that shoulder due to arthritis, I probably have a rotator cuff problem, and there is a calcium deposit on one of the tendons in the shoulder .... all of which means it hurts and does not move well. But it is not yet time for a shoulder replacement .... the PA said they only do that (at my HMO anyway) for excruciating pain. She said that post replacement shoulders feel better but do not necessarily function much better. :skeptical: She recommended continuing with PT .... so that is what I'm doing. Usually the pain is not too severe and I can manage most things OK with left hand/arm.

Yesterday I went for a massage - the first one I've had in a long time. Really nice fellow with lots of experience treating sports injuries and post op patients of many varieties. He did a lot of work on my right leg and right arm/shoulder - ouchy at the time but today both areas are actually feeling better! :yahoo: A technique I learned to deal with body memories ( yup it does happen - the body remembers things - particularly injuries with emotional components that sometimes the mind has forgotten or just sees as no big deal) is when pressing on an area that is tender or sore breath in deeply and mentally attach the breath to the sore area - then when you exhale pull the soreness out with the breath - and if there is a sound that comes out with the soreness - let the sound be heard. So I was making lots of weird noises (lol some of the noises were more like purring cuz some of what he was doing felt really really good) as he was working on me - but he'd heard it before and was actually quite pleased that I knew this ;) He said what I was doing made each muscle or sore area relax even more

I've also had to go shopping for new clothes - the other day I pulled a pair of jeans out of my drawer and pulled them on - when I stood up ....... they fell off my hips! LOL they were size 18 ..... trying on new pants at a store revealed I actually now wear a size 12!!! So Goodwill got a lovely donation of many pairs of slacks and jeans .... and I got to (absolutely had to) go spend money on new clothes :th_heehee: Thanks to Macy's sales and Nordstrom's The Rack I was able to find several pairs of great looking slacks and jeans for not too much money :yes 4:

Plans for my trip back east are taking shape - but trying to pin my brother down on best dates is like trying to nail jello to a tree! :DOH:Plus he's been off sailing so trying to reach him by cell phone is difficult - got to talk to him for about 3 minutes the other day before he sailed out of phone range ..... sigh - guess I'll just book the flights and hope for the best

My housemate is now officially engaged!!!! :dancy: I am so happy for him and his lady - they are a great couple and she is a definite keeper! They have no specific plans yet to get married .... still dealing with some financial issues and trying to decide where to live that is convenient for both their jobs. I've asked Eric to help me find my next renter when the time comes - between the two of them they know lots of younger folks - and there are usually a few in transition at any one time.

Hope all my BoneSmart friends are doing well!

Any newbies reading this who may be contemplating bilateral hip replacements - go for it!!!! You will not be sorry.
 
Hi Deb, I logged in just in time to read another of your wonderful updates, lovely to hear everything is still going well with you. I also have problems with my socks, no pain just poor flexibility, which is improving every day. Laying on the bed seems to help me bend enough to get them on. Sorry your shoulder is no better but at least with the xrays you know more about whats going on and can deal with it more effectively, physio etc.
As always your updates are a great read.
cheers
 
What a great update post, Deb!!! Life is really happenining for you now and it makes me smile!
 
Hi Deb honey,

I am so thrilled that you have been too busy living to post... Great news.

Sorry about the shoulder though.. Difficult things shoulder pain.

Hope you sort out your holiday soon with that wayward sailor brother of yours :)

Thinking of you and sending big hugs.
 
Hi you all!

I finally got my airline tickets to go back East for that reunion mentioned a while ago :yahoo:..... trying to find convenient flights from Portland to Boston was a real challenge - they either leave at some unGodly hour or arrive in the middle of the night or cost an arm and a leg! I finally opted for a "red eye" flight (leaves about 10:30pm and arrives in Boston about 8am the next day) just because it is a nonstop flight so I don't have to go sprinting through a crowded airport to get to my next flight - and this particular airline does not charge extra to check a bag ( sigh most of the other airlines charge between $25-50 per suitcase just to check it through). Now to figure out what to take ..... and add some more things to the to-do list - get new pants hemmed, find a foldable hat to take with me, try on bathing suit I bought to make sure it fits, go through my dressy dresses to see if there's one that still fits and looks OK or do I "have to" go buy a new one. I am looking forward to being able to report on the "Do you set off alarms at the airport?" thread :th_heehee:

I had another massage a couple of days ago - he's really good but man was it ouchy :cry:while he was working on my shoulder! Doing deep tissue work and trying to release some of the emotional trash I've held on to too long - at one point I was almost ready to scream - and thought my dentures were going to fall out on to the floor. But now the shoulder is feeling better - more ROM, less muscle pain. When I saw the PT after the first massage she was impressed by the improvement from just one massage. I know I should probably be releasing tears during those massage sessions .... but it's sort of a life long thing with me - I really dislike crying - it makes me feel like I'm drowning ( long story involving a childhood incident of a medical procedure that involved strapping my head down - and dimwitted male medical types who did not talk to a 3yo about what they were doing!) While I worked much of that out years later in therapy - I still have a minidose of PTSD related to it. Eric Clapton's song Drowning in a River of Tears was playing in my head during this last session - :cry4:

Went with my friend Mary for another pedicure today - long over due! I was almost tripping over toenails - :snork: Then we got lunch and went back to her house and watched a very cute video she and her POSSLQ made of a trip they took with Isy ( my housemate's fiance's 5yo daughter) - she is such a cutie! She got to ride a camel on this trip and it is adorable watching her do a cowgirl bit on the back of a camel. Plus pictures of her feeding animals at a petting zoo, chasing a peacock, and standing next to a gigantic statue of Paul Bunyon and is Blue Ox, Babe.

My DNH are still doing great! And I'm gradually getting stronger and have more stamina ...... rarely need a midday nap any more :wink1: Went for my annual GYN check up - and like I predicted this time there was no problem with the NP doing the exam! She too was impressed by how successful this surgery has been for me.

Well off to get some dinner :) Hope all my bilateral and unilateral friends here at BS are doing well!
 
What a great update Deb! Sounds like you are heading for some fun times. So happy for you! Enjoy those new hips!
 
Hi Deb, I am so excited about your trip and reunion... You are in for a fun time. I think I recall reading that you had lost a fair bit of weight, so dressing up will be fun and shopping for a new glam dress also..

Have fun babe, can't wait to hear all about it hugs xx
 
Hi Deb,
Great update as always! You have a fun way of describing the most routine things. I had to laugh reading your need for a pedicure, "tripping over toe nails" and the visit to the gyno. I look forward to your next installment. Fantastic you've now purchased the plane tickets, the trip would feel more of a reality, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.
cheers
 
Hurry up and wait - hurry up and wait ...... :sigh: that's what I'm doing now - getting antsy to be off on my adventure and see some old and some new places and faces. Got the confirmation that my brother his wife will be able to meet me in Boston and hand off one of their cars to me along with key to his house in Vt. I also got confirmation from one cousin that spending a night or two with them will be a go :) And it looks like Hanomare and I will get to meet up as well!!! Anyone else in the NH/VT/MASS area - particularly near the I95/Eastern Mass area - who would like to meet up - send me a message and I'll see what can be arranged :) Is it too early to start packing???? :heehee:

The shoulder - meh - the discomfort and dysfunction seem to wax and wane - some days it's a bit sore and stiff - other days it yowls, complains and won't raise much at all. The massages and PT help a little - I'm afraid this is as good as it's going to get despite all efforts to improve things. :groan:

The hips continue to be terrific :) I get occasional muscle twinges if I've been doing extra work or exercise - but those don't last very long and given that I'm 65 I rather expect it's more from advancing age than from having had hip replacements. I've been continuing my efforts to clear out each and every closet, cupboard, and hidey hole in this big old house of mine - gotta whip this place into some kind of order whether it likes it or not .... :rolleyes: The folks at Goodwill know my name and my car now .... and my friends are benefiting from my weeding out efforts too :angel:

I've been looking for a good used bike - I'm not ready to spend hundreds of dollars on a fancy new one - gotta try one out first :bicycle1: to see if I still remember how to balance one and keep it moving forward.

:sleep: Well off to dream land - sweet dreams to all my BS friends - hope all is well with each of you!!
 
Howdy Deb,

Yay Your trip sounds super exciting! I love you are feeling so great, getting around and being so active, it's such a good feeling. Hope your kitty Kats are well. xxooxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom