Bilateral THR Both Sides NOW!

Not much going on here - just normal every day stuff - exercises, walking, getting out and about :)

Did get a couple of small goals accomplished - last night I climbed the stairs and slept in my own bed for the first time in over a year! It felt so good to be back in my comfy bed and able to stretch out - now there's plenty of room for snoozing cats plus snoozing Deb :cat-kittyandsmiley: I also was able to finally sleep on my side!! I'd tried it a couple of times in the past few weeks but it rather felt like I was trying to sleep on a brick. But last night on my nice plushy mattress with memory foam topper it was actually very comfortable - and so delightful to be back in my favorite sleeping position. :sleep: I slept more soundly than I have in quite a while and woke up feeling rested and with no stiffness or morning dry mouth ..... though I really did not want to get up just yet - my "nest" was so warm and cozy - but cats and bladder said "Get up now, please" - and despite my attempts to ignore that the insistence kept getting stronger..... so ambled down stairs to feed cats, get breakfast, read the Sunday paper, do the crossword puzzles - ah love lazy Sundays.

I've also been walking to the near by grocery store nearly every day - they have wonderful deli salads and sandwiches so I stroll down there to get lunch. There and back is about 6 city blocks - plus what ever wandering and shopping I do while in the store. The weather here has been gorgeous for the past week or so - we even have crocuses coming up! Very weird weather for Oregon in February - no rain! While I still take the cane with me when I go out of the house I really don't need it much. Also I'm still using the back in and swivel method of getting into and out of my car - but the other day when hurrying to get in before on coming traffic crowded me I did do a "normal" entrance into the car - and it went just fine :)

PT exercises are going well except for one - I'm supposed to balance on one foot and then raise up on toes then back down and raise up on heel all without hanging on to counter or chair - sigh - I just can NOT do this. The balancing on one foot is OK but the raising up on either toe or heel .... nope, does not work at all! :DOH: I can sort of do it using both feet at once but not one foot at a time. I'll have to discuss this with the PT gals when I see them again on Wednesday. And after my next pay day I hope to be able to go join a gym that is near me and get started with some swimming and perhaps other exercising.

So for this particular BTHR life goes on - and is slowly returning to a nice, pain-free new normal :) As I was coming home from errands the other day one of my neighbors was out in their front yard and came over to chat - and stood open mouthed and amazed as I walked up my front steps carrying (but not using) cane, a small bag of groceries, and purse - going up the stairs normally and talking at the same time - :hysterical: gee normal every day multitasking
 
This is all great news Deb.....congratulations!

We all are getting back to normal routines. Lovely sleeping back in your own bed, and yes sleeping back on your side. I had missed that one too, it just makes for a better snugly sleep.

Wow that excercise sounds pretty tough, Im not sure I could do that going to try later. Thank goodness you are having good weather allowing you to get out and walk, that has to be the best therapy and just fun to have that type of freedom.

Have a great week.

xxooxx
 
Excuse me? Not much going on here - NOT! You have made major progress! Well done! Must have been bliss to be back in your own bed.

Long may it continue!
 
What else can I say Deb except -

FANTASTIC!!!

AMAZING!!!

I am in awe..

Lots of love as always xx
 
Deb, it sounds like you are doing beautifully. I love that your recovery has been so smooth. It's so interesting, one would think that having both hips done at once would make for a more difficult recovery, but really the bilats seem to do just as well as the unilats.

I'm also experiencing the "brick" feeling when I try to sleep on either side. I wonder if I will have similar results as you when I move back to my usual (softer) bed.

I suspect that a lot of people who have never even had hip replacements probably could not do a single-leg balance and go up on their toes or heels at the same time. You will get there. Maybe your PTs can give you some tips on using your core to help you get up there.
 
Hi Deb,
Sounds like you are progressing really well, congratulations.
I enjoy reading your postings and reply's from others,
cheers
 
Okay so the latest mile stone accomplished was not line dancing as Sandy waggishly suggested on another thread .... but there was dancing of a sort involved.

My nephew is in a band called Sol Seed and they play really great reggae and jazz. They are becoming quite the hot property here in Oregon .... and down into California too! He's an amazing young man - he was a black belt in Karate by the time he was about 14, and for a while was an instructor at a dojo run by his Dad and himself. Now he is attending the U of O and getting excellent grades while playing about 3 gigs a week plus practice sessions. He's also played with Native American flutist Jan Michael Lookingwolf who has won NAMAs for his music (Native American Music Awards). Now he's also learning fire spinning (called poi) ...... sigh .... oh to be young again and have that kind of energy.

Last night Sol Seed played at a club here in Portland and my brother and his wife came up to attend the show ..... and I went and joined them! Whee haw
Got dressed up (though did not wear heels), even put on "war paint" :hysterical: I can not remember the last time I wore make up! :cheers_wine: It was a wonderful show - great music and energy. I had a terrific time hanging out with my bro, SIL, and a couple of their friends who came along. The dance floor was packed and there was not anyone in the audience within 20 years of my age (except my bro who's got a dodgy hip so he was not dancing more's the pity!) ..... so I stuck to chair dancing ...... and had a great time doing so! While not on my list of "prescribed exercises" I think I got quite a work out :th_heehee:

And despite my energetic evening .... no aches or pains this morning .... and the cats let me sleep until almost 8am ..... ah life is good :yes 4:
 
Monday morning here in OZ

So thrilled that you had such a good evening out - life is returning to normal, what a wonderful feeling. xx
 
Ye gads you BoneSmart folks sure do yak alot! I had to search through 4 pages to find my thread ..... :th_heehee:

OK so major milestones today - the hospital bed is being returned to the rental company this afternoon!!! I've been sleeping upstairs in my own bed for the past week or so with no problems at all. My fat cat, M'Toulin, is the only one who thinks this is not a good idea - it means she has to climb the stairs herself and then scale Mt Bed in order to get to me to tell me it's time for breakfast - :th_heehee: I told sweet kitty to "suck it up" and that the exercise was good for her - might even help get her waist back into view.

My house cleaner and I moved all my clothes back upstairs to my bedroom - then it took me several hours of sorting to put them all back in their proper places - sigh time to do a major clothing purge and trip to Goodwill is in the future. I have way too many clothes!

My walker and crutches were put in storage downstairs - I'll be loaning them to my friend who's waiting on knee replacement surgery - the cane stays on the main floor for the time being - just in case though I'm not using it much at all these days. So slowly my main floor is beginning to look like normal living space instead of a pseudo hospital room. :yay:

With all this shuffling of things I trotted up and down my stairs 6 times today - alternating feet - plus did some up and down from the floor while I sorted through drawers and clothing - and felt nary a single twinge or gripe from hips or muscles!

Last visit with PT I was told to add 1lb weights to leg lifts - so problem solving mode - since it is still difficult to reach my right foot how can I add weights without having to tie them on! *Light bulb moment* - 1lb bag of uncooked rice - slide bag into top of sock on top of foot (helps if socks are squashy ones with good elastic at the top) :yahoo:- bingo! Instant one pound weights - and easy to shift to the other foot when needed :)

Hope you all are having just as fine a day as I am :friends:
 
Wow Deb, sounds like today was a "hip replacements? ha! that's so yesterday" type of day. You're pretty much back to your "normal" life right? That is terrific. I know we shouldn't compare our recoveries but it gives me something to look forward to when I see what other hippies (bilats especially!) are accomplishing. Thanks Deb!
 
WOW! Major milestones is right. Being able to put away all the equipment is such a great feeling. I'm looking forward to doing it again now after my 2nd new hip. Still have a ways to go but so great to hear your story and news.
 
Hi Deb,
I loved reading about your night out watching your nephews band and chair dancing, sounds a fun night you had.
I could also relate re you packing your equipment away, and putting clothes etc away where they belong. I too have been doing the same recently, pots and pans etc back in bottom draws instead of on the kitchen bench top. The time does go quickly and even though it has only been 9weeks since my op, seems like sooooo long ago once things are put away in their place and life more and more resumes to normality.
I still have my shower chair as I cant touch my toes, bent down this morning to wash out the dogs water bowls and strained my back a little, should have known better as I do have a dicky back anyway.
It would appear yours, Jen's and my bi lat. recovery is moving along in similar fashion, as we were fairly close with our surgeries.
I read this morning another member yellow gopher also a bilat, is off and running too with his Mrs Zimmer.
 
Yes we are a yakky bunch Deb! So glad you are seeing this great progress. Yes it does take some time - but slow and steady gets you there.

Do go easy on the adding the weights. If they cause any soreness back off and maybe add half the weight when things settle. You are now moving around much more. Adding weights to your workout might be a bit much.

Well done Deb!
 
Yeah! Way to go Deb...

Isn't it wondeful for life to start to be normal again.. I love it!

Well done you :) lots of love xxxx
 
(((Jen))), (((dianemarie))), (((Sue))), (((Jaycey))), (((Sandy))) - Thanks for all your support!

The shower bench is going to stay for a while - I like being able to sit down to wash my feet - much easier than doing it standing up - plus it's a great place to keep all the things one needs to get clean :th_heehee:

Jaycey - adding the 1lb weights has not given me much problem - I feel the stretch and know the muscles are working - but there are no pains or aches after wards. My PT gals are taking me slowly through these paces - I go in to see them about every 2 weeks ( to stretch out my benefits ) - and each time they drop some exercises and add some new ones. It all seems to be helping me a lot.

Jen - I also love reading about other folks recovery processes - especially us bilaterals! It is so encouraging and inspiring to hear of others successes - and there are lots of great ideas for innovative solutions to hip replacement problems. I admit with some of our newbies I get on the BTHR bandwagon a bit - but with 20-20 hindsight I can not imagine having to go through recovery twice! While the first few weeks were not fun - the relief from pre-op pain was such a marvel it made all the other stuff easier to bear.

I am so thankful I found BoneSmart! This site has been so very helpful and supportive - I've recommended it to several folks I've talked to who either knew they needed joint replacement or thought maybe they did. I am also thankful that my HMO scheduled me with the "Hip King" - my OS proved his worth IMO with the fabulous outcome of my surgery.

Well my friends gotta toddle off - time to get serious about finishing my taxes - UGH! That process is worse than recovery from hip replacements ..... :hairpulling:
 
Hello Deb,

Wow you always amaze me. Love all your good news, ive never picture how it could be having both hips done together and YES I wouldnt want to go back and have a seperate surgery for the other hip. Having no pain though is truly a gift!

Don't mention taxes....ahhhhhh Im waiting right now!!

Its good to get back to a normal routine too! Congratulations :)

Lots of love!

xxooxx
 
Dearest Deb

Wowee!!! so many posts, I spent ages trying to find you. You are on page 4... so bringing you forward honey, hehehe.

I will catch up on your posts and progress and write more soon. Thanks everso for the emails, so appreciated.

Lots of love as always xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
It's good to see you back, Sandy! I'm so glad you're feeling better - I've missed your wonderful posts.

I haven't posted much recently because not much has been going on - little bits of progress here and there - but mostly just living life :)

Today I returned the borrowed shower bench and commode frame that went around my toilet to give me a raised seat. I've found I can bend over to wash my feet and can stand on right foot to raise and wash left foot - though can't yet do the reverse of that maneuver. The folks at the Senior Center were impressed at how well I'm walking and getting around - I even carried the commode frame from car into the center with no problems. LOL the nice gal who was helping me kept looking at me oddly until I asked if there was a problem - she said she was just wondering - their services and "loaners" are for folks over 62 and did I really fit that criteria - I pulled out my drivers license and proved I am indeed 64. When I asked her she said she had thought I was "50 at the most". Nice compliment :th_heehee:

Then off to the grocery store where I found as I got out of the car I could walk the long way around to the store on flat firm pavement or take a short cut across the median with uneven ground and step up and step down with no hand holds near by - :biggrin: I took the short cut!

Oh and I've been off narcotics for about 2 weeks now - still taking Ibuprofen but that is for aches in joints other than my hips! In fact I go in to my general practice doctor on Monday about pain in my right shoulder - I'm not quite sure it's joint related - could be muscles or tendons - but my PT gal said to have the doc send a referral for shoulder work so they can help me with that too :)

I'm sleeping well now that it's comfortable to sleep on my side again - usually I get 6-7 hours of solid sleep - unless the Coonie Girls decide they want an early breakfast or need midnight affection - they are persistent in their demands! Ever have 20+ pounds of feline doing kneading biscuits on your chest while purring really loudly and poking her whiskers up your nose? OOOPH! That'll wake you up in a hurry :cat-kittyandsmiley:

Blessings to all the BoneSmart folks - I hope each and every one of you have as uncomplicated a recovery as I have had! And to anyone reading this who is contemplating BTHR - GO FOR IT!!! You will not regret it.
 
So glad to see you here Sandy! We missed you big time!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom