Guest viewing is limited

Total Gym pre-op exercises

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

member
Joined
Apr 2, 2011
Messages
117
Location
United States
I just bought a total gym xl. I'd like to start a good pre-op knee replacement workout to strengthen the knee muscles using this machine.
Besides the exercises in the "Total knee peplacement and rehabilitation " book.
Does anyone have any good links or specific exercises for the total gym?
 
I might suggest anything that will build your quads and hammies--you will also need your upper body, too, as you will possibly be using something to help hoist yourself out of bed, and you will be using either a walker, crutches, or a cane. After my BTKR, my upper body took quite a beating.

I was also amazed to see how quickly my leg muscles atrophied. Don't be suprised!
 
Tim is right...work on your quads, hamstrings and upper body strength.
 
I found this great site I'd like to share:
broken link removed: https://www.total-gym-exercises.com/index.html
Specifically for legs:
broken link removed: https://www.total-gym-exercises.com/exercises/legs/index.html
I've had knee problems for the past 30 years. I know how quickly they atrophy. I really think the total gym exercise machine will help anyone with pre and post tkr.
 
Thanks for the links. I've added them to our Library also.
 
The BTKR's obviously needed to work on that muscle between the ears as well. Their brain had to be lacking to choose both at once. LOL. Really though, I do commend them on doing both at once. More guts than me.
 
Besides the quads and ham strings it would be a good idea to also work on the abductor and adductor muscles.

Ken
 
I've been working out with my total gym the past few weeks. The squats and hamstring exercises have been tough.
I have to say my knees feel better. The joints seem less stiff. I also picked up the cycling option to go with this exercise machine. It is extremely comfortable.
No sitting, lay down and you pedal on the incline.
Buying this exercise unit is the best money I've ever spent!
 
I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you! I've thought for a long time that it looked like an excellent piece of equipment.
 
One of my PTs is giving me a total gym and I'm really excited about getting it. She's been treating me for about four years and I think I've won the award for most screwed up patient and this is my reward! :DOH::th_heehee: :rolleyespink:
 
It looks very nice; however, it may be difficult to use immediately after the surgery---getting into that position won't be easy for a while after the surgery.
 
I used my Total Gym after my LTKR and loved it. Mostly I used the leg attachment (the pully attachment you hook to the shoe), and I got fantastic results. it was a bit odd getting use to putting it on and off, so I waited until i was fairly comfortable with the knee replacement. That with PT was a good routine and really helped with the ROM. I can now brag 150 degrees. My OS is elated with the results.

Barb
 
I haven't used the leg attachment yet Barbs. 150* is more than I've seen in the past 30 years.
The total gym is a bit complicated to me. Takes a bit getting used to. They are an incredible amount of exercises you can do with it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom