Wow bilateral hips at age 16! You must have a fascinating story to tell. Do start your own thread and let us know what all has gone on for you. Thanks for your kind words
- we have lots of very active and athletic folks here who have done and are doing fabulous things with their new hips - I hope I can help a few folks who are less athletically inclined to appreciate life without grinding bone-on-bone pain when that is not their life style. 

As you can see the hips were working wonderfully!
- I saw the shoulder surgeon today - different OS from the fellow who did my hips - very nice man. But alas the only thing he could offer was shoulder replacement surgery -
DRAT I was hoping there might be some other option as I am not all that eager for more surgery. The x-rays taken today showed worsening arthritis in the right shoulder now with multiple bone spurs and virtually no space between the bones. Of course my HMO being what it is I'll have to wait 5-7 months to get into the OR for this. I was told that after surgery I would have a permanent restriction for that arm - no lifting anything over about 20lbs. I think I can live with that ..... if I can get my hefty cat
to go on a diet! Though he did say it would not affect my ability to lift heavier things with my left arm as long as that remains functional. So 2 joints replaced, one joint pending replacement, and how many more to go? At least waiting for this surgery will be a bit easier since shoulder does not interfere too much with my usual activities ..... though I do need to try to figure out how to keep it from waking me up at night. Putting a pillow under the shoulder for support only works partially as the pillow tends to "wander" at night.
is that I won about $360 in the local lottery. I need a treat - anyone have any suggestions?
Australia
Australia
You're an angel, Poppet! And I appreciate the humor
- I've been telling Mr. Arthur Itis this same message for a while now - He knew my father and my grandmother all too well - though they did not have the advanced medical options that I do. Maybe I'll change my screen name to RoboGirl ;) And another giggle about not liking to have your life disrupted by routine .... Once you're retired the disruptive routines can be put into deep storage!
.... like picking up my coffee mug.
. I TOTALLY started practicing stuff with my left hand before my surgery, especially bathroom stuff
as I was sure not ready to have help with that. Soo glad you already know you will have help. Yes, not as many helping accessories needed like in the hip surgery, but lots of little things you don't think about beforehand, like opening a jar for instance, how to wash yourself in the shower etc. Good to start paying attentiion now to what you need 2 hands for and then writing them down so you'll know what you need help with.