Lounge Doctor

TKR Booger's Left Knee

Catalien45

Country
United States United States
Hi, Booger! I’m about 1 week later than you ( oct 6), & 16 years older. I looked at the picture of stairs.....Yikes! At least there is a landing between...that should help.
Our house is 2-story, thankfully we have the landing. And, when my knee kept getting more painful, my husband put a matching rail on the side without. It appears rails on both sides are not standard. But, they really do help, I find I can put a lot of the pressure onto my arms ( and maybe my arms are getting a little stronger?)
I Do have a hard time laying around so much. But, I also find that when I overdo, it will come back to remind me.... they have a name for this- the “ over- did-it - club” . I’m learning So much from folks on this forum. Surprising how easily I wear out. I’m active - love to cook & bake, I sew, garden, just usually keep busy.
And I see that fatigue is a common problem; obviously the body’s way of saying “ you gotta rest & heal, this has been Tough on me... a real Assault on my knee!!” So, I have some good reading material, & spend a fair amount of time learning from this forum. Realistically, the Dr can’t necessarily cover everything, but others going through it help fill in those little tidbits, & have all sorts of advice.
It sounds like you have a very reasonable employer, & folks you work with. Is it a possibility at some point you could make a visit, maybe try those stairs & see how it affects your new knee? ( not suggesting right now, someone with a lot more knowledge could advise you). Just a thought.
You have a good attitude, I think that will see your recovery well. Take care, and as Hawk2go has reminded me,( and I Try to remember) slow and steady, slow & steady.

sistersinhim

Country
I worked making peanut butter. When making the crunchy style, I had 3 sets of steps I frequently had to run up and down to check out equipment or unclog pipes. After each of my knees' cleanouts and lateral releases, the doctor kept me out for 3 months every time. After my first patellalectomies, he put me on permanent DB. He knew that steps were very hard on a person's knees. I suggest you take all of those 24 weeks, cause you are probably going to need them. Suggested Return to Work.

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Well not much difference today. Walked 15mins all at once. Then normal stuff around the house. Grilled pork burgers and hotdogs. Did one round of the pt. Really need to get the heel slides going but the dear wife had to get ready for work tonight so she had the bedroom slash recovery room for sleep. Well take care folks. I'll be reading tonight and tomorrow also. What ya'll been waiting on the knee.

20211031_175723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Your incision looks good! You have a good attitude @Booger .

I have a physical job and am on my feet for a good part of my day. When I was trying to plan a return to work my surgeon recommended easing into it.

As in part time and beginning with every other day. It helped me immensely.
I had THR’s though, but that return to work thing is a big deal for all of us joint people.

But if you are able to manage more time off then you may be dancing in the streets by the time you return to work. :froggies:

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
I sooo hope so.

Booger

Jockette

Country
Really need to get the heel slides going
Mobility is good for your knee but don’t go crazy with heel slides. Your bend will improve as you heal and your swelling goes down. Too many heels sides and/or pushing your knee to a painful place will not improve your ROM, but can instead increase your swelling. It’s a matter of balance and Time.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.

Catalien45

Country
Hi , Booger - Catalien here- your knee is looking Good! Mine still has a few dark spots, I’m looking forward to it being more like yours & some others I’ve seen. This will sound stupid, but I really was not thinking of this as being Major surgery. So I wasn’t anticipating The realities of recovery. Pain, yes. ( my Dr & his PA were very upfront & honest about that, also, the videos provided to help prepare you.).

But I was Not realistic about the fatigue, & the impact it has on your body! This forum has really been helpful there. But then I forget sometimes, ( and, my family will agree, I’m hard-headed). I kinda overdid Saturday ( not really That much, but......); really tired last night, but slept fairly well; then pushed myself some today..hit me Really hard tonight, . SO! At my husband’s insistence , and I agreed - tomorrow is a Do Nothing day. Guess I’ll have to postpone my anticipated trip to the store with him. Tuesday is PT, & I decided on PT days, the PT would be my one big activity. I’m learning.... slow & steady, slow & steady ( hey, I’m 76! Should not be that hard!). So, as you said, “ chug- a- lug, chug-a-lug, I think I can, I think I can....just need to keep it at that pace for a while longer than I really want to.
Like with Susie Q, hopefully someone else will see this & learn from it.
Sounds like you’re doing well - that’s good to hear. Have a good day tomorrow!

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Well p.t. went well today. I had James, he did some stretching and such with me today. 7 extension and 115 flex. Lost a little extension but that also was all
me no assistance :cheers: gained a little flex also all me and no help.
A little tired and took a nap before pt. Probably walk the couple of blocks and see my grandson in a bit.
Anyone who reads this and is depressed or bummed out. It will get better just keep on keepin on.

Booger

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Hi , Booger - Catalien here- your knee is looking Good! Mine still has a few dark spots, I’m looking forward to it being more like yours & some others I’ve seen. This will sound stupid, but I really was not thinking of this as being Major surgery. So I wasn’t anticipating The realities of recovery. Pain, yes. ( my Dr & his PA were very upfront & honest about that, also, the videos provided to help prepare you.).

But I was Not realistic about the fatigue, & the impact it has on your body! This forum has really been helpful there. But then I forget sometimes, ( and, my family will agree, I’m hard-headed). I kinda overdid Saturday ( not really That much, but......); really tired last night, but slept fairly well; then pushed myself some today..hit me Really hard tonight, . SO! At my husband’s insistence , and I agreed - tomorrow is a Do Nothing day. Guess I’ll have to postpone my anticipated trip to the store with him. Tuesday is PT, & I decided on PT days, the PT would be my one big activity. I’m learning.... slow & steady, slow & steady ( hey, I’m 76! Should not be that hard!). So, as you said, “ chug- a- lug, chug-a-lug, I think I can, I think I can....just need to keep it at that pace for a while longer than I really want to.
Like with Susie Q, hopefully someone else will see this & learn from it.
Sounds like you’re doing well - that’s good to hear. Have a good day tomorrow!
Aint nothing wrong with a do nothing day Catalien. Sometimes those are the best days. Just try to relax if you can. Pt days are hard sometimes

Booger

Jockette

Country
That’s so nice you have family within walking distance! Our closest child is 90 minutes away, and our other two live in Ohio. I’m in Delaware. :boohoo:

Catalien45

Country
Thanks, and I Am doing just that! Wondering if maybe I don’t have a bug, actually pretty weak. Or maybe just a Good lesson to pay heed to not overdoing. I Did get to spend some time with our 6 year old grandson, best medicine ever! Our daughter & a close friend came for a bit, & her 4 1/2 year old, we visited a bit, & they took the boys trick- or treating in our neighborhood. It was Wonderful!

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Im just wondering if anyone has ever messed up their hip while recovering from knee surgery? I had my immobilizer on last night. I had to swing the bad leg and kinda flipped my hip. The right hip joint is killing me. Hurts like hades right now.
Can it get any worse.

Jockette

Country
Why are you wearing an immobilizer? Did your doctor recommend one?

hawk2go

Forum Advisor
Country
My chiro had to adjust my opposite hip once my LTKR was healed(ish) around 4 months.

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Why are you wearing an immobilizer? Did your doctor recommend one?
P.t. suggested one at night when I sleep. She said it might help with the extension. I sleep on my side and my leg would not straighten up. I gues as i was sleeping I had it bent alot and wouldnt hardley straightened out the whole next day.
My chiro had to adjust my opposite hip once my LTKR was healed(ish) around 4 months.
I may try and see one. Cause boy it sure does hurt now. I don't know if they can do anything but it is the opposite side hip.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Booger

Jockette

Country
Personally I would not wear an immobilizer unless absolutely necessary and my doctor really pushed it. They are heavy and bulky and could very well be how you upset some other part of your body while wearing it.

Your extension will come along fine as you heal. It often takes longer to regain than the bend. There is no rush, and no window of opportunity. PTs often want us to heal right now. Healing doesn’t work that way. You are still very early in the recovery process.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than anything else.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion (both bend and straight) is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen.

Normal activity is the key to success.

OP
OP
Booger

Booger

Country
Personally I would not wear an immobilizer unless absolutely necessary and my doctor really pushed it. They are heavy and bulky and could very well be how you upset some other part of your body while wearing it.

Your extension will come along fine as you heal. It often takes longer to regain than the bend. There is no rush, and no window of opportunity. PTs often want us to heal right now. Healing doesn’t work that way. You are still very early in the recovery process.
Hahahaha hahahaha thats how we learn. The hard way. Well usually me anyway I never seem to get lucky and get it right the 1st time.
Thanks Jockette for the recommendation I will put it up tonight.
Booger

Jockette

Country
I never seem to get lucky and get it right the 1st time.
I always say I’m slow, but I eventually get it! :rotfl:

A couple of years ago I had plantar fasciitis and wore a boot to bed to give my sore foot the stretch it needed. I bought and returned several before I found one I could live with. The boot was only about as high as mid calf, but it was heavy and very bulky, and the sole much thicker than my other foot that was bare. Just walking across the room was enough for me to know it could mess up my back and hips if I walked around in it too much. I only managed to wear it for a couple of hours for a few nights. Heaven help me if I ever really need to wear a medical boot or immobilizer! :yikes:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mentaltune
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom