Bonesmart newbie- right tkr - 90 days and counting

Afternoon Bonesmarties!

Well I survived the college tour with my daughter! Luckily it was not tons of walking for me, they had tour vans that took us all over campus the biggest issue was getting in and out of the van as it was quite higher and awkward to get out of. My knee started protesting as the day went on but I guess overall I can't complain. The drive down was great, she drove the last half, so that gave my knees a break. The drive home though, we weren't so lucky, traffic was horrible, stand still at times and people driving like bats out of hell! So she only drove maybe an hour due to all of that. I am glad we went on Thurs/Fri rather than Fri/Sat due to the hurricane that recently hit! Thankfully it was not nearly as bad as predicted, we got a lot of rain all the way up here in North Alabama on Sunday from it.

I swear the pain is getting worse and worse in my knees daily. I wonder if it's all in my mind since I know surgery is coming up? I have been trying to take it easy and elevate and ice when I can, especially after volleyball days. This week is fall break for half of our area so no volleyball this week. Kind of looking forward to that since I will get a rest.

I have been looking at back rest for my bed this one looks like it would be good: In general regular pillows aren't enough support for me and I'm tall and like something with neck support too. Regular back rests do not work for me lol

Life is moving a long quite fast, trying to get all the stuff done before surgery. I am still working on decluttering but I think it's going to take for-ever! Why do we have an addiction to so much stuff? I have been doing better about not buying stuff just to buy it but retail therapy is real y'all! :D

I love husband pillows! It should give you some needed back support. Good to hear the tour went well!

Great KarriB! So glad to hear you like the husband pillow! I will be ordering it asap, because heck I could use it now!

I just realized I have a dilemma, my young one has a dance recital on Dec 10th, that will be just barely past 3 weeks from date of surgery, do you think that is too soon to sit for a couple hour without my leg being elevated?

I think you'd b e very uncomfortable if you attended your daughter's dance recital.
Would it be possible for someone to go in your place, and video the dancing?

At 3 weeks post op I did spend about 5 hours with parent/teacher conferences, however my leg was elevated the whole time. If you can't find a way to elevate I agree with Celle, have someone video the performance for you.

@Celle and @KarriB thanks, I was afraid it would likely not work out. It makes me sad, but unfortunately due to the way the theater is set up, there isn't really any way to elevate during the performance. I guess I will get hubby to record it, they sometimes sell dvds, so that is a possibility too, poor kiddo she is so sad though.

Of course the punches keep coming, my middle one has a school play she is in as well, last performance is 4 weeks out, that theatre is a bit better, so I might could do that one, but just not sure either. I guess I can wait and see how I am feeling closer to that time, they have a bunch of performances but have not sold out shows yet.

I think I should have thought this all through more, I am going to miss a bunch of stuff this fall/winter with my kiddos due to the surgery and it makes me sad. I know I truly need the surgery so I can actually be involved in their functions more later, it just sucks. I am feeling kind of down today. :(

I think I should have thought this all through more, I am going to miss a bunch of stuff this fall/winter with my kiddos due to the surgery and it makes me sad. I know I truly need the surgery so I can actually be involved in their functions more later, it just sucks. I am feeling kind of down today. :(
Yes, it's a bit sad now, but think how much more you will be able to do with, and for, your girls, once your knee is healed!
Your "down" time will be temporary, but the improvement will be permanent.

@SpaceGirl, perhaps you will feel well enough to do a few sedentary holiday projects with them. This is a first for me as well. As a chef, I am usually so incredibly busy that I feel I miss so much of the holiday season.

How are you holding up? Our surgeries are only a few days apart.

Yeah, it's too bad you will miss some of these events. The kids will understand that it's not like you *want* to miss them. But I like PoetryChef's idea about spending some time with the kids in other ways.

I teach cooking classes to kids each week and the on-on-one attention is much enjoyed. I plan to make batches of holiday cookie dough in advance of my surgeries that can easily be sliced and baked. My other half can then bake them off.

My dad always tells me to look at situations from a different perspective. This will certainly be a different perspective. :tada:

Your family will be temporarily inconvenienced for a permanent fix to years of pain and discomfort. I encourage you to mentally cross the bridge to self care for the initial recovery periods. You may want to look into the GFS Marketplace store for pop in the oven one pan meals that are family sized. I bet your little ones will be great helpers and your teenager can see this as an opportunity to step up to the plate.

A year from now you'll be running around at breakneck pace!

For the dance recital could you use your husbands lap to elevate? I was throwing my legs up on everything in those early weeks!

Hi SpaceGirl, been following your thread & you live a busy life!
I had my RTKR on 31st July & managed my granddaughter's first birthday party 19days post surgery. Had my leg elevated on a chair & took my own cushion to make it more comfortable.
Only issue was to make sure someone went to the buffet table for me as impossible with 2 sticks!

Yes, it's a bit sad now, but think how much more you will be able to do with, and for, your girls, once your knee is healed!
Your "down" time will be temporary, but the improvement will be permanent.

I am trying so hard to look at the positives. I think last week was just hard when I realized how much I will miss right after surgery. I look forward to post op months in the Spring!

@SpaceGirl, perhaps you will feel well enough to do a few sedentary holiday projects with them. This is a first for me as well. As a chef, I am usually so incredibly busy that I feel I miss so much of the holiday season.

How are you holding up? Our surgeries are only a few days apart.
Oh I can imagine that is tough not being able to cook when you're so used to doing so! I am sure we will decorate gingerbread houses like we always do, I'll be sidelined during the tree decorating but I typically let them do 90% of it anyway.
I am doing better this week, still processing it all but I know it is all needed.

Yeah, it's too bad you will miss some of these events. The kids will understand that it's not like you *want* to miss them. But I like PoetryChef's idea about spending some time with the kids in other ways.

Yes, we'll do a lot of movie time and eating cookies together I am sure! lol I am going to be doing a lot of online shopping this year, but it'll be ok. I will send hubby out for any that I can't order online and deal with his wrapping job lol oh man :p

I teach cooking classes to kids each week and the on-on-one attention is much enjoyed. I plan to make batches of holiday cookie dough in advance of my surgeries that can easily be sliced and baked. My other half can then bake them off.

My dad always tells me to look at situations from a different perspective. This will certainly be a different perspective. :tada:

Smart idea on the cookie dough! I am going to be getting my oldest to do cookies most likely, well when she's not working. Another perspective is what I need for sure. I am thankful for the advance medical technologies that are going to allow me to have new knees and be back to myself in a year or so, so I can continue to live life!

Your family will be temporarily inconvenienced for a permanent fix to years of pain and discomfort. I encourage you to mentally cross the bridge to self care for the initial recovery periods. You may want to look into the GFS Marketplace store for pop in the oven one pan meals that are family sized. I bet your little ones will be great helpers and your teenager can see this as an opportunity to step up to the plate.

A year from now you'll be running around at breakneck pace!

For the dance recital could you use your husbands lap to elevate? I was throwing my legs up on everything in those early weeks!

Thanks :) I am working on more self care, that is for sure. I am always worried about everyone else because well that's what moms do right? lol I will miss the show for sure, their theater is very tight, and no way to even elevate on hubbys lap because of the seating and space. I will buy the dvd and then watch it at home.

Hi SpaceGirl, been following your thread & you live a busy life!
I had my RTKR on 31st July & managed my granddaughter's first birthday party 19days post surgery. Had my leg elevated on a chair & took my own cushion to make it more comfortable.
Only issue was to make sure someone went to the buffet table for me as impossible with 2 sticks!

Thanks for stopping in! Yes I do! It's so busy that I often question what I got myself into lol but tis the life of a mom I think these days. Glad you got to enjoy your granddaughters birthday! First birthdays are so special, even if the kiddos don't remember them :D
On one end it'll be nice to be waited on rather than waiting on everyone else, and I think I am about to learn a whole lot about patience!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So here I am 24 days out from surgery day! Time is going by faster and faster, eek! Thank you again to those who stopped in after my last feeling down post. I am sure we all have those days, weeks or months at times, especially it seems after surgery. I know in the long run I am doing the best thing possible for me and my family but that self doubt is always there.

So next Wednesday I go for my pre-op appointment, which will feel like it came to fast too LOL We have a busy 2 weeks we have volleyball practice twice this week, games on Saturday and then tournament starts next Monday-Saturday. I have loved coaching my girls but man I am ready for this season to be over. My oldest is also excited this week because on Wed this week she gets her braces off, then next Wed (day of my pre-op) she gets her retainer. This week is also our church trunk or treat fall fest, we are decorating a trunk. The theme was a National Holiday, but I chose to do a Family Game Night theme.

Other than all that crazy busyness, life is going on by, still prepping some stuff before surgery. I have a dear friend that is wanting to cook up some easy meals to freeze for us. Love her! I believe we will also have a meal train, where friends/family can sign up to bring dinner about every other night or so.

Things to do this week, order my lounge doctor and back rest for the bed. Trying to figure out what the best clothes are for my knee post surgery in the cool/cold weather? Suggestions?

I went to Belk's last week and spent an obscene amount of money on jammies. I still need to buy a few other things but it will be here before long. Lounge pants are good for this. I also bought an electric twin blanket just in case I am freezing these next three months.

Hi, SpaceGirl, I just wanted to say hi and wish you the very best in your upcoming surgery. It is so nice you found Bonesmart before your surgery, I sure wish I had!

You'll have a swollen leg, and of course the operated knee especially so, after surgery, so you'll want to wear something loose. I found knit pants (mine were from Land's End) the most versatile. I could pull the legs up at the OS office to show my knees without having to lower my pants. :) They were also good for PT.

If you have skinny jeans... don't buy more. Not until after you're finished with knees. I can wear them again now, at six months out.

I figure you'll enjoy pants most because of colder weather. Dresses were nice in summer (though tended to slide down revealingly when legs up on the Lounge Doctor). Okay in private but less so with company (I did lots of elevating with others around, given the Big Italian Family).

Warm socks. Do not overlook the immense value of warm socks. You will spend most of the first six weeks with your feet up and probably not wearing shoes. You will want to keep your feet warm. Because socks can be slippy on uncarpeted floors, like in bathrooms, I wore hospital issue grippy socks OVER my warm socks, both in rehab and at home.

A loose pair of slip on shoes. This is for coming home from the hospital. Your foot on the operated leg might swell, so a pair of shoes that runs tight might be... difficult to put on. I loved my slip on sneakers and brought my loosest pair to the hospital. Used them all through my week of rehab also.

Those are my basics. :ok: It's hard to be stylish when dressing solely for comfort, but I had fun with tops. And socks.

@PoetryChef I have started looking for some good lounge pants for being around the house and for bed. I have a heated throw that we keep in the living room and I love it! It is perfect for knocking the chill off.

@Jockette thanks for stopping in! I am so very thankful I found this forum. Once I knew I needed surgery I just googled knee replacement surgery and this forum came up. It has been helpful more than most people (outside of other smarties) know! I love reading recovery stories, even if they are struggling a bit, because it helps me see the reality of what could happen. I also love reading stories like @SusieShoes because shes the poster child for superstar recovery! The next best thing is getting to connect to others who have surgery dates around my date, so I have someone to connect with who is going through similar things.

@SusieShoes yes I do need to find some good lounge pants to wear out and about for pt and the like. I definitely do not want to have to pull them down to get checked out! My biggest problem is being plus sized and tall it's so hard to find pants that are long enough when you're 5'11" and larger than what you should be. If i was about an inch or so shorter no problem. Most lounge type pants I find are like 2 -3 inches to short, and we'll that's just not cool! lol I am not a skinny jean person, I do love me some leggings though, but I guess they may be too tight on a general day, not when I need to see the doctor or pt? I mean they are stretchy, but I don't know how it would feel on my leg ya know?

Good tip on the socks, I wear socks year round, even in the summer to bed. I will start looking for some good slip on shoes that aren't super tight. So much to buy LOL I mean my inner retail shopping therapy person loves it, but my bank acct, no so much. :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well here I am 21 days (3 weeks) out from surgery! It is getting more and more real. I do have some anxiety setting in, nerves about the surgery, the pain after, my family and the stress I feel like I will be putting on them, especially during the holiday season. I know really I am not going to have time to dwell on this because we have a busy few weeks ahead right now. This week is our last week of regular season volleyball, tournament starts next Monday so on Nov 4th I'll be D.O.N.E. and have a week and half to tie up any loose ends.

I am currently on the hunt for some good post op pants. I remember when my dad had his leg amputated two years ago, he wore a lot of athletic pants because they had wider legs and easy to pull up so the doctor could check the incision etc. Maybe I'll head over to the mens department and try some on, plus they tend to run longer than womens. It's like all womens clothes, especially work out attire, has to be skin tight. blah! lol

In other new my oldest got her braces off yesterday, she is ecstatic, they told her it would be 3-4 years and she has only had them for 2. Too bad we're still paying on them :p I will try to add a photo of my kiddos so you can see my beautiful girls who next to my hubby are my life. :)

Attachments

• k winter.jpg
    k winter.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 248
  • h winter.jpg
    h winter.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 217
  • j winter.jpg
    j winter.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 281
Your girls are beautiful, I love their long blonde hair!!!

I have 2 daughters, one brunette and one blond. And one blonde son!

Your daughters are beauties! Good news that your oldest lost the braces; girls at her age can be self-conscious, and she certainly has nothing to be self-conscious about!

I wanted a daughter very much, but was blessed with three wonderful sons. Now I have a granddaughter to spoil. :yes!:

@Jockette thank you so much :) I am pretty biased but think they are pretty darn cute! My middle one, the more strawberry blonde, she's a handful at times, probably because she is so much like me :P lol but as she gets older it's more calm. Hoping that trend continues! I am sure your kiddos are beautiful, be sure to share a pic :)

@SusieShoes thanks :) She was actually soo much more self conscious before the braces because her front tooth was turned really bad and her bottom ones jagged. Her teeth moved really fast surprisingly and once she got her braces she started actually smiling more. She hated to smiled. Now that the braces are off, shes all smiles almost all the time!
Three sons are equally as awesome! Ah I bet you do spoil that granddaughter of yours! I look forward to that but not for quite some time! lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I am 20 days out from surgery, tick, tick tick. I purchased some pants today that I hope will work as lounge pants to wear for pt and such. I will try them on today to make sure I can pull up the leg far enough for the knee access. Unfortunately as soon as I got home from the grocery store and went to put some stuff in the freezer, the items in there were thawing. :/ It's been acting funny off and on for a couple weeks but today it really was not working. Ice was starting to melt a bit and the ice cream was almost a milkshake. So I checked the fridge, it's cooling but barely. Oy! I had hubby come home and check it out, he did some cleaning under it on the coils and such and it seems to be working better. Yay but I am weary to celebrate too early, let's see how the weekend goes!

Not much else to report right now, except my knees are really feeling this cool weather and storm fronts that are coming in.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom