Bonesmart newbie- right tkr - 90 days and counting

I only have 17 Days to go! I am getting more anxious but every time I think about the surgery, other stuff comes up, guess that's a good thing? lol I am so glad my girls regular season volleyball games are done now. We start tournament tonight, it lasts all week though. Both girls have their first games tonight, then H will probably play on Wed night, J on Thurs. Who knows about the rest of the week due to the seeding and brackets.

I don't have a lot to report right now, it's been cold which makes me very achy. I do go on Wed. for my pre-op appointment for surgery though. Trying to get the rest of the house tidy and ready for my surgery. I keep wanting to get a recliner but all the ones I find are too expensive or the legs hang down too much. I am gonna try to look a little more this week/end and see if I can find one. I have been scouring the yardsale sites on facebook and craigslist too lol

Oh and so far our freezer/fridge seems to be back working fairly well right now. I was worried that was going to be a purchase we have to make before surgery and not a cheap one!
 
Afternoon Bonesmarties!

Tired of me yet? I've got 16 days to go now, tomorrow I get to say I am having surgery this month. I was commiserating with a friend about my upcoming tkr, she had one done 4 years ago and we both decided that knowing my surgery date so far off, makes it tougher to wrap my head around. I am guessing it seems most people don't wait 3 months to have it done once they find out they need it. However, I did not really have a choice on waiting due to commitments but that's OK! It's going to be here before I know it.

So I placed my order for my husband pillow and lounge doctor today, both are supposed to arrive before surgery. I have been slacking on getting the house in order mostly because it just hurts to stand too much and move around. I am feeling whiny today in regard to pain it just sucks. It makes me realize how much how much of my life I am really missing out on. On the plus side I am setting up one last girls night out dinner with some friends for next week before surgery. I am hoping to get one more date night too before then we'll see what my oldest girls work schedule is like, since she watches the younger girls.

Happy Halloween BoneSmarties!
 
I'm back! I went to the per-admission testing today easy peasy. My bp was a little high 145/88 if I recall, asked if I was on meds. I am not. Took urine sample, a nose swab and 3 vials of blood. I was there for about 2 hours lol most of it just waiting and waiting. They were pretty busy. I got the fun shower soap, twice a day for 3 days and once in the morning before surgery. I have super dry skin already, that is going to kill me, but thankfully I have a list of approved lotions I can use.

I can officially say it is surgery month! Just 15 days away, so 2 week essentially. Still so much to do and not a lot time. Eek. I almost wish it was just here so I can move forward but alas time is ticking away slowly but not at the same time. My husband pillow shipped today it should be here in the next few days. I am waiting to get the email the lounge dr has shipped too.

I also got depressing news lol Garth Brooks is finishing up his tour in Nashville (2 hr away) in Dec, 1 month exactly after surgery and I can't go. :( :( I have been waiting for Nashville since he went back on tour, we made the drive to Atlanta a year or so ago and I was hoping to see him once more. I just knew it would be after my surgery and I was right. Oh well, maybe he'll tour again but at least I did get to see him once.

Have a great day friends!
 
I love Garth Brooks, too, but there will be no way you can go this year. Just the drive, not to mention sitting in the cramped seats would be agony. You wouldn't enjoy it at all. Who knows, maybe he'll tour again. He has quit the circuit before, but came back. It could happen.
 
@sistersinhim oh I know! There is no way I'd risk going. Maybe if it was a couple months after, but not this soon. I'll just listen to my many cd's lol :)
 
It’s painful to give up those special events. Four weeks after my surgery, I knew I had to pass on going to the theater. The show was The Wizard of Oz, and Mr. Shoes really, really wanted to see that one. I felt I could make the trip into the city (would have been uncomfortable), and the very short walk to the theater from our parking space, but... I wasn’t all that great on the cane yet, and the sitting, and the getting up and down to let other people into the seats (we have end seats) along with the risk of them bumping my knees, and... it was way too much. So I said I couldn’t go, and we gave away the tickets.

There’s always another show. There is only this one recovery. No need to push things that don’t need pushing.
 
Hello, just thinking about you and wondering how you are getting along. I have a few finishing touches but it will all be done by Sunday evening.

Has your new husband arrived?
 
So true Susieshoes! I will be ok and maybe he'll tour again later. :)

@PoetryChef I am doing ok! Just busy with volleyball tournament games and trying to get stuff done! My lounge doctor arrived today and the husband should be here by 8 tonight! I am trying to stay busy and not think too much about it all!
 
Happy Sunday friends!

I hope those of you who change time, remembered to do so last night! It has been such a busy week for us. My older daughter's volleyball team finished 3rd in the tournament, that was really good. We almost made it to 2nd but just could not pull off a win. Other than two team parties this week, we are officially done with this volleyball season and can I say how happy I am? Because I am. Last night my oldest (Jessica) went to her senior homecoming dance. She went with a volleyball team mate, he is just a friend, but they sure are cute together. I'll add a photo if I can below, hopefully it's not too big.

My lounge doctor and husband pillow arrived the other day. I love the husband pillow but wow who knew it would come shrink wrapped and had to be shaken vigorously to make it come to life lol All is well though now. I think it's still firming up some. I was supposed to get some work done around the house today but woke up with a migraine, went to church and lunch and still had one, so I came home and took a 3 hour nap. The migraine meds just were not working today. Thankfully it has finally eased off this evening but have that after headache now.

I am 11 days out from surgery now. Everyone is asking how they can help, and I feel like I am not sure what to tell them! I mean meals would be nice, but outside of that, not really sure. I guess time will tell when I get back home after. Any suggestions on what to tell them? I got a call on Friday about a pre knee surgery class, but I can only take it on Monday or Thurs this coming week. Why did they wait til Friday to call??? Oy. I will call on Monday and see about going on Thurs, if I can find a sitter for my younger one. Normally hubby would do it but he has a training class that day and can't miss it. The downside to homeschooling lol but I do have some homeschool friends, so hopefully she can hang with them for a couple hours.

I don't have much else to report, but I hope everyone has a great week!

[Bonesmart.org] Bonesmart newbie- right tkr - 90 days and counting
 
Morning friends,

Well I just got off the phone with the med mall where I had my pre-admission testing done, apparently I tested positive for the mrsa staph infection, but it seems a lot of people do. Thus why they make us use the special body wash for 7 showers before the surgery. They are also calling in an antibiotic that I have to swab my nose with twice a day starting the 11th. Has anyone else had to do this? I am now super paranoid that something is going to go wrong. Looking for any advice.
 
I've read of several surgeons who ask for the nose ointment to be used routinely before the surgery.
 
I suggest you tell anyone that wants to bring food, to wait for at least a few weeks. You will not feel like eating at first. You might one to have some protein drinks on hand to help you get through this fasting time. And mints help will the dry mouth from the meds.

Great photo!
 
Thanks Celle, that makes me feel a little better. I am starting to stress a bit, trying to get everything done before next Thursday. This time next week I'll be onto recovery, trying to look at the end result instead of the now pain. The weather here is making me hurt, more than normal for sure. I am about to go elevate and ice up.
Thank for the tips Sisterisnhim, I love mints, so I will have some bedside. Good idea about some protein shakes.
 
Well I am down to 8 days now, gosh I can't believe how fast it's gone by. I went yesterday to look at some recliners, think I found one I like and it's fairly reasonable. I am going to get hubby to go check it out with me, to make sure it'll work and we can get it home in the van. LOL I am still working on tying up lose ends around the house, getting the little ones school work in order so hubby can help her. At least though we'll have a week off for Thanksgiving and they will both have a break that week.

This weekend is going to be busy busy for us, my oldest has an rotc event on Friday and then marches in the veterans day parade on Saturday. We have two volleyball team parties, plus on Sunday our church youth group is having a Thanksgiving meal, that will be fun but a lot of work too. I am also hoping to get all my Thanksgiving shopping done this weekend if possible, so hubby does not have to try and fit that in after my surgery.

I hope all is well.
 
I am also hoping to get all my Thanksgiving shopping done this weekend if possible, so hubby does not have to try and fit that in after my surgery.
Make it a very quiet Thanksgiving at your house this year. You won't be well enough at that stage to do anything towards it.
 
Make it a very quiet Thanksgiving at your house this year. You won't be well enough at that stage to do anything towards it.

No worries! I don't plan on doing anything but laying around and eating when it is time LOL hubby will prepare a ham, some mac n cheese, a veggie, deviled eggs and rolls and we'll call it a day. Oh and a pumpkin pie. My mom is coming over but hubby and the kids will have to wait on and help her. I don't plan to get up out of the chair or couch. Watch the parade and doze and watch christmas movies and doze lol
 
I've been following your posts but this is actually my first. Congratulations on deciding to have your TKR. I had my first Jan. 30, 2017 and will have the other Jan. 15, 2018. I can't wait! Honestly, during the first two weeks, I forgot how much pain I had been in before because I did hurt a lot. But - it gets better, sometimes slowly, but always gets better. Don't be discouraged if you don't bounce back immediately. You will be back better than you have been in years. One thing I did to make myself feel better was get a bunch of tacky, motivational t-shirts. I always wore one to PT and also big earrings! Stupid but they made me feel powerful! Just something to laugh and smile about because trying to keep your sense of humor helps. All of us compared our scars. I still think mine was the prettiest! I'm proud of it because I know what I did to earn it. The best part has been how active I am now compared to last year at this time. Take care and remember to breathe. You are going to do great!
 
I've been following your posts but this is actually my first. Congratulations on deciding to have your TKR. I had my first Jan. 30, 2017 and will have the other Jan. 15, 2018. I can't wait! Honestly, during the first two weeks, I forgot how much pain I had been in before because I did hurt a lot. But - it gets better, sometimes slowly, but always gets better. Don't be discouraged if you don't bounce back immediately. You will be back better than you have been in years. One thing I did to make myself feel better was get a bunch of tacky, motivational t-shirts. I always wore one to PT and also big earrings! Stupid but they made me feel powerful! Just something to laugh and smile about because trying to keep your sense of humor helps. All of us compared our scars. I still think mine was the prettiest! I'm proud of it because I know what I did to earn it. The best part has been how active I am now compared to last year at this time. Take care and remember to breathe. You are going to do great!

Welcome to the board, glad to see you join in :wave:Thank you so much for the kind words. I am hoping I will be the same, I am in so much pain now, that when it's done, the different pain and pain meds will make me thankful for the surgery! I hope that I'll get up and do my hair and put a little make up so I feel a little "normal" daily. I think it'll keep my mood up too and plus I'll be ready for visitors lol :heehee:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:wow: 7 Days! :wow:​

Next week at this time, I'll hopefully be in surgery or getting ready to go in. I chose the late time because it works out better for the kids getting to school and such. Ready or not it's coming! I didn't get to go to the joint class today because I didn't have a sitter, so I need to call and get them to mail me the info.

Have a great day friends!
 
I never went to joint class either. I watched one online and realized I already knew most of what they were talking about because I'd done so much research (much of it on BoneSmart). :blush:

Chances are you're already well-prepared!
 
Hi SpaceGirl,

Been following you and thought I should come out of hiding. LOL I'm five days behind you. Had my RTKR on 8/8/17 and am now having the left done on Tue, 11/21/17.
I don't visit BoneSmart as often as I did in the beginning, but if you'd like a texting buddy or FB friend (we can moan/groan, rejoice, compare notes, etc.), please shoot me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers.
You are so very fortunate to have a good support system with your hubby and family.
I live on my own (in a 3rd floor apartment, no less!) and while my kitty is great for cuddling, he won't bring my ice pack, make me lasagne, or run a load of laundry. Well, if I don't hear from you before the big day, best wishes! Time for me to go make/freeze some soup.

Elaine (Happy Valley, OR)

P.S. The surgery itself is easy peasy. You close your eyes and it's over. It's the long recovery that's a bear .
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom