Guest viewing is limited

THR BoneSmart = best recovery!

The weekend was great. We managed to get out for a couple of great meals. Close parking to both was a huge plus as the crutches are still painful on my hands to use. Not nearly as bad as the walker though.

I think a couple of people mentioned they liked comfort food when they were recovering from the surgery. I, on the other hand, only wanted high end meals. So my husband was busy getting take out from restaurants that normally don’t do take out. :rotfl:

Tonight my husband found and made a “to die for” pork tenderloin meal using our sous vide and he paired it with tiny early potatoes from the real farmers market that’s by us on Saturday’s.

Over the last couple of days I’ve been reviving my sourdough mother from what I thought was death. I usually make our bread but that’s been impossible for a while. I have 100+ year old sourdough starter from Alaska and it has a sweet/sour flavor we really love. This is one of the things I can’t wait to start doing again. It appears to be happy again. I grind my own flour for the bread and it makes all the difference. I know, it’s crazy.

I’m reading a book, not yet published, that my brother in law wrote. He’s very good but this one is not in a genre I really like. So it’s been slow going. I’ve liked his earlier ones. They’re all deeply involved in the Philadelphia areas and give one a good idea of the various neighborhoods.

My two pups are a perfect distraction and we were so lucky in getting the sweet Ripple. Plus Loki has always been a real sweetheart. They trade off being close to me. :puppysmooze:

I’m about 1/3 of the way through the time waiting until I can freely walk. Less than 10 days to go! This is a walk in the park. No pun intended. :)


So I’m just.....:bored:
 
@ceezee Nice to see you so excited and happy.
100yr old sour dough starter from Alaska, that's incredible. I never tried doing the sour dough starter. A friend gave me some to keep going once from hers, but I let the poor thing die....:shrug:
 
I grind my own flour for the bread and it makes all the difference. I know, it’s crazy.
Okay. Bringing culinary shaming to new heights. Enter @ceezee...putting us all to shame!:curtsey:

I've never been a good cook and always have been in awe of folks who take the time to make all "from scratch"
Isn't that just the weirdest saying, I'm just noticing.:umm:
 
If you think of cooking as my favorite hobby you wouldn’t be wrong. :)

When I had an incredibly stressful job my husband said he could tell how bad my day had been by how complex dinner was that night. I used cooking as a stress reliever. That would be helpful now but too tricky to try with crutches and only one leg. :rotfl:
 
Wonderful that you had a nice weekend, ceezee. Dining out is always nice, especially if you're not into cooking, which I'm not. After years of preparing meals for the family out of necessity, I'm over it. While I can cook a decent meal, I've never enjoyed cooking, the time it takes, or the mess it creates. To some it seems effortless, not me! I'll take a good old restaurant meal anyday...but certainly not everyday! Sounds like hubs is a cook also. Lucky you!

I can imagine that Loki and Ripple have been a great comfort to you during this time. I hope the next week flies by so you're able to completely be on your feet again. Hang in there....not long now.
Have a great Tuesday!
@ceezee
 
I just looked at the date..... Four month anniversary for left hip. :wowspring:

Aside from the slowly improving discomfort in the skin of my thigh due to the spinal pinched nerve, my left hip feels perfect! I think when I’m finally walking on two feet that’ll go away. That hip is getting the brunt of the non weight bearing so I’m really happy it’s doing so well.

And my right hip also feels perfect. At my next checkup it’ll be the two months anniversary for that side. Because I’ve been babying it so much I think that kinda proves that for recovery less is more.
 
[Bonesmart.org] BoneSmart = best recovery!
 
I have 100+ year old sourdough starter from Alaska
Wow!! Amazing history! I lovvvvve sourdough. :roseshwr::roseshwr::roseshwr:Finally converted hubby to its pleasures. I've never attempted it myself from scratch though. You've inspired me. :happydance: But I'll stop short in grinding my own flour...,you are truly a domestic goddess Ceezee!
 
I got the starter, it was freeze dried, from Etsy. The grinder is made Germany but easily accessible online in the States (called a Mockmill) and hooks onto my KitchenAid mixer. I buy the wheat berries either at Whole Foods or online. Super simple. Once you have fresh flour you will never go back. It’s super nutritious because it’s the whole wheat berry plus it tastes fabulous. I had made some bread ahead of and between my surgeries, which I froze, and it I think it must have been a help to my healing.

One more plug....it’s the book Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish. That’s how I learned....from that book.
 
@ceezee so glad you're doing well, happy hippaversaries! Thanks for the info on the flour/ bread. There's a German bread that I love and there is one bakery a couple of towns over that makes something that is as close as I can find stateside. Looked up recipes online and how to get the flour etc, think I'll keep driving to the bakery! :snork:
 
@ceezee Are any of your recipe items organic? I have the kitchen aid mixer. When you get your dough ready do you use a bread maker machine. That's great if it helped you heal to use natural products...
 
Yes, it’s very possible to buy organic wheat and rye berries to grind for bread. I buy some of them on Amazon. And you can always find various King Arthur organic flours. I follow the instructions in the book I mentioned earlier. I bake them in my oven in Dutch ovens. I always make two at a time, but you don’t have to. There’s no kneading involved. If you google his name you can find some blogs where they make one of his recipes. There’s a few steps and usually you let it rise overnight and bake it in the morning.
 
One more reason to try this ..... my bread. It looks like the photo on the book and it turns out like this every time. It’s just the two of us so we eat one in a week and I freeze the other to eat the next week. So I bake every other weekend. You can always halve the recipes and make just one. Enjoy!

[Bonesmart.org] BoneSmart = best recovery!
 
Impressive!
I wish I had the desire to do that....but I don't :boohoo: Hubs would be so happy.
Great job @ceezee it looks like the breads I see at the bakery.
One more week until your appointment and restrictions are lifted.
Excited for you!! :happydance:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom