MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Blue - it is always so great to read your posts. What a positive recovery you are having! I only had a tkr not a btkr. I was on the recumbent bike at three weeks but under supervision of my PT. I only rocked the pedals with no resistance for five minutes. I wasn't able to pedal a full rotation until five weeks when my ROM improved. I have slowly been adding time and resistance and I love it. I look forward to more of your updates which are very inspiring.
 
Thank you, @Jozilla ! I try finding something positive happening with my recovery each day :SUNsmile: As you know firsthand, sometimes the changes are subtle, but it all adds up :)

Hmm, maybe I will try the bike with hubby's supervision tomorrow. I've read to have it at zero resistance. I know it's supposed to really help ROM, and heaven knows, I need that! Hubby would be thrilled for me to sit and "play" on it for awhile, too.
 
I know you will definitely enjoy that bike soon!
 
As long as you can safely get on and off the bike, you can use it any time. BUT....you need to start slowly on it. No resistance for quite a while. Set the seat back as far as possible so that you just can reach the pedals. You can move it forward later as you are able to go all the way around with the pedals and your ROM improves. Sit comfortably and "rock" your feet back and forth just to the point of slight discomfort. Don't try to go all the way around, but instead with each session just keep rocking to that magic discomfort point. As you progress, you'll rock farther and farther until one day you amaze yourself when you go all the way 'round. It's even okay to lift your hip a little on the seat to get the full rotation....at least to start with. The key is to take it slow and gentle.

You can do these rocks a couple of times a day. Start with maybe 10 rocks and build up to 5 minutes over the next few weeks.

Later in recovery you can use the bike in other ways. When I would have restless legs and had difficulty sleeping some nights, I'd get up and do 5 minutes of slow turns on the bike. When I went back to bed the restless legs were gone and I went back to sleep (with ice packs on, of course). The recumbent bike is a great recovery tool!
 
I borrowed one of those little fake exercise pedal thingys from my Ancient Mother--its a junky contraption, just pedals but it was the greatest for loosening up a stiff knee and getting it warm for my PT exercises. I loved the bike at PT and begged to get on it first thing because it made everything else easier. You'll love it and you will be so proud when you manage that first full rotation.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey


2.5 weeks after BTKR, glue is almost totally off. Today has been a bit difficult, more swelling and stiffness - I tried cutting back to 4mg dilaudid instead of 8mg for a couple late doses yesterday, and it's just too soon. So, been icing and elevating most of the day. Took bath this morning, did som stretches in there, then home health came for a wound check - she was really pleased with everything.

I actually thought ahead and made arrangements to pick up pain med prescription today, I run out Sunday and that would be horrible.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
@Bluetechseeker, those incision scars are lookin' good!

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey And you keep taking those meds on a schedule---no missing a dose and no cutting down on the dose. It is really very, very early in recovery and pain is NOT conducive to healing----and lots of healing is going on. I took pain meds for a full 3 months. Of course, as time went on, I was cutting back on my own because I did not need them as much as time went on.

Good for you on the icing and elevating----do it even if you're not hurting----it helps a lot.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
@bottomshollow, thank you!! Hubby has been wonderful helping me, he's so thoughtful and caring. Unfortunately, he's had past experiences with loved ones abusing and becoming addicted to narcotics. Now, I have many allergies, can't take vast majority of narcotics, allergic to alcohol and quit smoking years ago. Although my circumstance is far different from what he experienced, it's like every day he keeps talking about when I get off the drugs, when I finally cut back. <sigh> His focus is definitely getting me off all meds as quickly as possible.

So, his work schedule I amping up, he will be gone all day Monday and Tuesday. I tried the experiment of cutting back both to see if I could but also with the thought of stretching the meds so there wasn't so much running trying to keep them on hand (docs office is about a half hour from home and we have to pick original up each time). I've been telling hubby it's just too soon to try reducing dose, but the next day it's the same discussions all over again. Others just don't understand the true need for the meds, how staying on a schedule works ever so much better, and that the focus is NOT trying to come off them as soon as possible. Hopefully he will let it go somewhat, I'm not changing what I'm doing for awhile, it sure didn't work well.
 
People taking pain meds for real pain do not become addicted. They may become dependent and need a long weaning off period, but they do not become addicted. One's own body chemistry has a lot to do with this.

An addict is someone who takes the meds for whatever feeling they get from taking them. Pain has nothing to do with their use.
 
I've explained that to him, also detailing how I'd need to wean off when the time comes. I will just have to keep explaining, I guess.
 
@Bluetechseeker, may I suggest you just smile
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
then sweetly say

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
and just keep taking your meds the way you want to take them. Sometimes we have to treat them like the children they are. :heehee:
 
@bottomshollow , that's precisely what I'll do!! :thumb:

Ok, drumroll, please - progress update for today:
Walked to mailbox and got mail, not far but down and back up several steps (I have limited opportunities for steps, so this was great!). Did fine, fresh air and sunshine was AWESOME, mail was all junk. :yes!:

Actually used REGULAR toilet with no problem getting down or back up!! Woo hoo! Now, THAT's a biggee!! :giggle:

And last, but certainly not least - sat on recumbent bike and rocked pedals for just a couple of minutes with zero resistance - hubby needs to adjust seat back so my knees are more comfortable, he'll do that in the morning. I can feel lots of time on the bike in my future, YES!! :bicycle1:
 
Many of us, myself included, were worried about addiction, but, as my OS said, "You are taking these meds for a reason, and you will know when you do not need them anymore."

He was right.

As bottomshollow has pointed out, you still need these meds,so do not worry about cutting them off or cutting them short.

I can feel lots of time on the bike in my future, YES!!
That bike will be a very close friend to you for quite some time. It will help with ROM, strength,and stamina.

I actually thought ahead and made arrangements to pick up pain med prescription today, I run out Sunday and that would be horrible.
Great thinking! That did inadvertently happen to me, and it was not a pleasant time for a couple of days....
 
Yes - you rocked the bike! My OS says it is the best exercise I can do right now. Soon you will be doing full rotations and then it feels so good. Definitely the only exercise I don't mind doing. Still sounds like you are making amazing progress.

My hubby who has been wonderful in this recovery also felt the same way with the pain medication. I think it is a mindset in this country that we will all become addicted. I took percoset up until about a week ago. I had to have someone pick up my scripts every six days but had no problem getting meds from my OS. The pain meds are an important part of the recovery making it easier to do everything.

Good luck, Blue. You are really inspiring!
 
I think it is a mindset in this country that we will all become addicted.
I believe that there are several components to this---first, we have all been exposed and inundated with stories about unfortunate souls who have become addicted. We also know that we are taking some pretty strong pain meds---I was on Oxycontin. And, finally, many of our friends and relatives talk about it---"Hey, haven't you been taking that stuff long enough?"----and we begin to wonder and question it ourselves.

In reality, we have to take the pain meds because we need them, and if we stop taking them too soon, our recovery slows down, and we learn our lesson.
 
Had a pretty good Saturday. It's getting a lot easier to get out of bed in the morning if I do some stretches, ankle pumps, and knee slides first - it just warms everything up for that initial burst of motion :)

Came out to the living room, iced for a couple of hours (front and back of knees), then PT arrived. She agreed everything seems to be coming along nicely EXCEPT for my bend :headbang: After doing a couple of exercises laying down, she had me sit in a high chair and do some leg lifts, then try bending one leg by using the other. When I did that, she measured my left at 45 - yeahhhhh, all of 45 <sigh>. After a couple other little things, we went to my bike. Initially, she measured my left at 50, right at 55. After a couple of minutes, gently rocking and stretching a bit, I was very comfortably at 70 on the left and roughly 68 on the right - a NICE improvement. Her theory is that I guard my knees when trying to bend, maybe thinking I'm going to either hurt them or just hurt - well, I don't doubt that. I do find I tend to almost brace myself and tighten up when asked to do some of the exercises. She's thinking the bike will absolutely be my best friend because it's totally at my own pace and 100% under my own control :friends: After seeing such a nice improvement and FEELING how easy it was to get there, I'm kind of thinking the same thing. We joked about me being at 120 when she comes back on Tuesday. I figured using the bike for a couple/few minutes here and there throughout the day - certainly nothing intensive or prolonged, but enough that I can feel the nice stretch that I did today.

Dad came for a visit, stayed several hours. This was right after PT, I couldn't hardly keep my eyes open! Hubby's picking a pizza and antipasto salad up for supper tonight (he needed a break), and that wraps up our Saturday :egypdance:
 
Hi Blue, sounds like you are getting yourself on a great schedule and things are working out well. I have a question--when your PT comes to the house does she push you past the point of what you think you can do, or is she still being very gentle with you when it comes to the exercise? On the days she doesn't come, does she give you a sheet of exercises to perform a certain number of times a day? I'm a bit unsure regarding my PT esp after I leave here, I don't want to hurt myself to the point of being unable to do anything the next day, but don't want to baby myself either. Just rambling here I think lol. Have a great week Blue, and thanks so much for all your helpful posts!
 
Good morning, @Simplicity . Thank you, I'm so glad you find my posts helpful, that's what I was hoping would happen by putting all my details here! The first visit with PT after being discharged from hospital started with a nice discussion over my expectations and goals with PT. I was very clear explaining I definitely wanted to regain ROM (duh), but the number was NOT my focus and that I was not going to lay here and let anybody hurt me, or make me do something to hurt myself. I told her my knees were swollen, and if they're swollen the bend isn't going to be there. Once the swelling is under control, then ROM will come. Since then, we've worked well together. She will describe the exercise, I do what I'm able to do. I push myself just to the point of discomfort (maybe a little past that sometimes, I get single minded on trying to accomplish something), but definitely not to the point of pain. Initially, the straight leg lifts flat out hurt on my right knee - when I felt that, I refused to try more until her next visit, and she was perfectly fine with that. She absolutely does not force anything - as a matter of fact, she's only ever put her hands on me once or twice that I can recall (one being yesterday when she checked to see the amount of resistance to my left knee bending). She's been very interested in the mantras and directions provided here on BoneSmart.org, we've had discussions about everything during each of her visits.

For these first few weeks, I've been focusing on doing ankle pumps, heel slides, quad flexes, and just going about trying to accomplish my daily needs. I, too, don't want to overdo and pay for it the next day. I haven't been necessarily counting the sets or repetitions, though, I just do them throughout the day while I'm icing and elevating. If I'm standing with my walker, I do little raises by stretching up on my tip toes and back down - that feels really good.

I can tell improvements are consistently happening by the ease with which I can get up and down now, in and out of bed is zero problems, I have more stability and stamina walking without the walker. She was very impressed with me trying the recumbent bike yesterday, and was really pleased with how well I responded to that particular type of exercise. I have to give her credit, she's been very, very open minded and has succeeded in blending her training and experience with my expectations and goals quite nicely.

Today, I was no more stiff or swollen getting up this morning than yesterday - and that's after the PT session and being on the bike a couple of times. So, that tells me that what we're doing is right on target for both the type and quantity of exercises.
 
Keep up the great work ! It appears you are well ahead of schedule. Plus you are motivated and very well prepared for a smooth recovery. Along with great family support. With your age and body type and lack of medical issues you might recover faster. You look thin (pic) and no mention of health issues! Your recovery is making me anxious to get the ball rolling. Hope you get pain meds figured out accordingly . Take your time. !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom