MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, go figure....

Had my regular follow up with OS this afternoon, he will NOT release me to work as yet - fine by me. My mindset at this point is to use as much disability time as necessary to be as far into recovery as possible. I've contacted my insurance company and employer, awaiting input from them on transitioning to long term disability when short term runs out on April 13. In case I don't mention it, I love my OS. He's very thorough, straight up, and listens to what's going on - he does not rush through things. Today, I explained about the pain/swelling issues I'm still having, the sleep issues, and detailed the progress I THINK I've made. I told him it's reality versus expectations at this point for me. He was really happy hearing about the progress on the bike, the ability to comfortably cross legs for a bit of time, and getting rid of the potty chair (he said that was BIG). He also really liked that I'm using my legs more for getting up from a sitting position, though not quite there on the lowering part. He agreed, no need to rush back to outpatient PT at this point - he liked the idea of saving my few remaining appointments for later on if needed. Right now my focus will be on rebuilding my strength and stamina. My ROM is about 90 with no assistance, far better than the 53 before the MUA's. OS said he's had patients lock right up after MUA's for weeks, that it's obvious I'm doing everything I can and fighting through all this. It felt SO good hearing positive reinforcement instead of "why aren't you doing such-and-such?", "why can't you go and do so-and-so". Here I'm spinning around in my mind that I feel SO behind in my recovery, feeling afraid things aren't ever going to really move forward. After discussing everything, doc said I'm right where I should be, and doing everything I should be doing.

My next follow up is April 22, a month out. We'll see how all the stair climbing affects me between now and then, as well as using my little pedal set thingy (I've got to locate and buy by tomorrow night).
 
I used to be such a morning person. Now, I have to plan the first couple of hours to get loose, elevate, let the meds do their magic - it's like the day is half gone before I'm able to pull myself together. I cannot imagine trying to get up in the morning, get myself ready for work AND out the door by 0730 hrs., wow.

@Bluetechseeker , I know what you mean. I used to be up and moving before 7:00 a.m. Now I am usually rolling out of bed between 8 and 9, loosen up the knee, elevate, take my meds, have some breakfast, drink my coffee, and finally get around to a shower and dress. Even the shower takes longer than it used to. If I have to be somewhere in the morning I really dread it. I try to schedule all my pt appts after lunch.


I have my OS appointment tomorrow, then had to schedule my annual GYN appointment on Wednesday to renew my HRT prescription, it expires in April. I'm just wondering how I'll be able to get situated at GYN for the actual exam, that might be a bit tricky if I'm not bending my knees enough

Please let me know how you do at they GYN appt. I have to schedule mine also and am trying to decide if it will work or not. :groan:
 
@Bluetechseeker

My ROM is about 90 with no assistance, far better than the 53 before the MUA's. OS said he's had patients lock right up after MUA's for weeks, that it's obvious I'm doing everything I can and fighting through all this. It felt SO good hearing positive reinforcement instead of "why aren't you doing such-and-such?", "why can't you go and do so-and-so". Here I'm spinning around in my mind that I feel SO behind in my recovery, feeling afraid things aren't ever going to really move forward. After discussing everything, doc said I'm right where I should be, and doing everything I should be doing.

Glad you are improving and remember, every recovery is different. I am happy to hear your OS is being positive and hopefully he made you feel a bit better.
 
My mindset at this point is to use as much disability time as necessary to be as far into recovery as possible. I'
Good for you!!!!! That will really help you a lot!!!
I'm doing everything I can and fighting through all this.
That's the way to do it!!!!
After discussing everything, doc said I'm right where I should be, and doing everything I should be doing.
There's nothing better than that!!!
Good Luck!!!
 
@Bluetechseeker, So glad you had a good visit with your OS. You are lucky you have an O/S who listens to you and doesn't try to rush your recovery. You have made a lot of progress since your MUA! You are much more active than me! I am always amazed at what you are able to do. I met with my OS today and he was happy with my progress. I told him my ROM was 115. He said my range was a lot more than that today. (although he didn't actually measure) I have my doubts but at least he wasn't griping at me today! He also wrote a prescription for 4 more weeks of p/t. Happy about that. It took 3 1/2 weeks for me to add 15 degrees but the hard part was straightening from 9 degrees to 1 (I've only made it to that once and it can be anywhere from 4 to 1.) We are still working on that.

I think the stirrups at the gynecologist office are adjustable. :) At least I hope so for your sake!

@DogLoverx3, I'm not sure why he didn't have me ride the bike before now. I'll try to remember to ask him tomorrow. Kind of glad I didn't try it before now. Didn't need anything else frustrating me!
 
Ah, @Texan I'm CONSTANTLY reminding myself how different we all are. I know, not that long ago, I couldn't foresee a time when I'd be able to pedal all the way around. The first time I did at PT, I just sat there grinning like a fool, then couldn't wait to come home and show hubby. Even today, showing my OS how I can cross my legs - he was truly surprised by that! All the little things we accomplish add up to big improvements, no doubt. I'm so glad that he's so open and receptive when discussing where I'm at vs where I want to be and where I SHOULD be - we all know, they can be very different. I think the key is to balance the things we try accomplishing with stuff we KNOW we can handle - giving us positive reinforcement along the way. I have days where I'm really down, thinking of stuff I wish I were able to do - but, again, this is truly a marathon and not a sprint. I don't know how much improvement to expect over the next month. I have to believe handling the stairs at the house in CT will be a big accomplishment, but also a big boost in strengthening my quads and calves again.

Thanks, Suzzee and Traveler :) I'm trying to psych myself up for being ready, out the door, and at my appointment by 1110 hrs tomorrow morning. Given that I can't sleep, then can't haul myself out of bed much before 0900 - 0930 hrs, this might be tricky. Hubby and I will finish packing and loading the car tomorrow, too - he's leaving very early Thursday morning to head to CT. It'll be so quiet here - all the pooches are going with him. We have a couple of errands to run tomorrow as well.

OH - doc also renewed both my Celebrex AND my 4 mg Dilaudid prescriptions. I figured he'd renew the Celebrex (stepped down from 200mg x2 daily to 100mg 1x daily), but was really grateful to have the dilaudid again. I'm not taking it around the clock, but it's so nice to have it available. Especially with being so far away for awhile.
 
@Bluetechseeker Just thought of something. Since you will be heading into a colder climate you may want to make sure you have something to put on your knee to keep it warm when you are out. When I walk and it is cold my knee instantly feels like it attracts the cold air which makes it feel stiff when walking. I have started putting a wrap around the knee to keep it warm and it helps. Enjoy your trip but remember to take it easy.
 
@traveler1 GOOD TIP!! I'll make sure to pack something in my little carryon - then I can wrap up after landing if needed.

GYN appointment went just fine - frankly, the most worrisome part was coming down the slope from the front door to the car when I was leaving. Had no issue stepping up on scale (I haven't had any opportunity for steps yet!), getting up on the exam table, then getting properly situated. Only once while laying there did I feel a little twinge running down my left leg, but that was basically nothing. My SURPRISE i.e., SHOCK today was that I've literally gained all of THREE pounds. I feel like I've gained about TWENTY - it's all the inactivity and still some swelling, for sure. I can hardly wait to head north, hopefully mastering those stairs pretty quickly, rebuilding some strength and stamina along the way.

We met a couple of friends last night for supper at Chili's - stayed about an hour and a half. I readjusted myself several times, but seemed to weather the meal fairly well. That's the longest I've stayed in one spot - took a pain pill on the way there so perhaps that helped quite a bit. BOY - talk about STIFF and CRINKED when I stood up though - holy moly!! Hubby kinda leaned over, put his arm around my waist, and whispered, "hon, take your time, no rush" - love my hubby!! The other gentleman was very sweetly and patiently waiting, holding my cane for me. I'm very happy to be able to be out and about, don't get me wrong! I'll be very grateful when I feel more sure of myself and stronger.

Hubby's got the SUV all packed, ready to go. He's leaving around two o'clock in the morning. I've packed my bag that he'll take with him, also stopped at the grocery on the way home from GYN for a few things to tide me over (packed all the foodstuff for him yesterday). Been resting and elevating since, after riding the bike for about ten minutes. I've been working on a migraine most of the afternoon, I don't know why - perhaps the stress of getting hubby ready and out.
 
What a sweet husband you have! Packing for vacation is stressful to me. Hopefully you will be able to rest and relax tomorrow so you will be ready to go. Just think of how much you will enjoy Connecticut! The change of scenery will do you good. Have you thought about taking ziploc bags and asking for ice from the flight attendants for your knees? I don't know how long your flight is, but it might help.
 
@Texan, that's an excellent idea!! I hadn't thought of that at all. I will tuck a couple ziplock baggies in my purse, then they'll be handy. The flight is about 2.5 hrs, definitely long enough a bit of icing would feel good. I get worried about how tight and locked up I will be when I go to stand up. Hubby suggested just getting up a couple times and walk up and down the aisle if needed - we'll see.

This morning, I moved the bike seat forward! Pedaled for a little over ten minutes, went all of .75 miles, but it felt AWESOME. Afterwards, easily bending between 95 - 100 on each knee, which also feels awesome :). Suuuuuuure is quiet on the home front with no pooches and no hubby, though. Ah, well...it's only for a few days.
 
Pedaled for a little over ten minutes, went all of .75 miles, but it felt AWESOME.
Sweet! .... for a lot of us, being able to "ride" our bikes daily is a major milestone and provides a huge benefit not just physically but emotionally too, so congratulations!
Cheers, Al
 
Today marks six weeks since BTKR! Woo Hoo!! Stiffness and swelling still occurring but I can do a little more everyday before I have to rest and ice!! I am an impatient person too when it comes to being down but I have come to accept the inevitable... my knees will be in charge for the next several months!!! :hairpulling:
PT did say I was further along then most people who have had one knee done! Guess I should feel blessed....but it sure is uncomfortable!
This to shall pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck to all.........Brenda
 
@saltyal, you've totally hit the nail on the head!! Right now, it's quite an emotional and mental battle to stay positive. Who knew just the simple act of pedaling a bike could start my day with a very satisfied smile? But, for sure it DOES!! Thank you :)
 
@2014knees, I've really had to lecture myself to just accept each day and carry on. When you read this is a marathon and not a sprint, definately embrace that concept!! I elevate constantly, ice the back of my knees frequently, and try focusing on the positive changes throughout my day. Yep, BTKR is challenging, but I can tell no WAY would I have come back for #2 if I'd had only one done.

I have found when I start getting really achy or having zinger pains, if I do some stretching or ride my bike for a few minutes, it really helps. I decided to try that approach instead of more pain meds or more icing (I have really bad pain on the inside and outside of each knee trying to use my ice cuffs now).
 
Glad you have more time off. Going back to work for me, even though I am sitting mostly, is tough. I still can't work an 8 hour day and get extremely exhausted fast. So glad you have a good OS. And I understand about the bike! I was so excited the first time I went all the way around. I still have to lean a little for might right knee but just happy to go around. And dealing with "where I thought I would be" vs "where I am" is one of the toughest things I have had to face. Sounds like you are doing great. It really helps me to follow your forum. Lots of good info!
 
I know what you mean about having to go back to have the second knee done. I was going to have my second one done in June and I just couldn't do it that soon. I think I have had a pretty easy recovery compared to others but mentally I just couldn't do it that soon. I am on the books for October and hope I am ready by then.
 
@Texan, I think October sounds way better for your second. The difference in months most certainly will help with healing and recovery of your first, getting you off to a great start with your next recovery. And, just the mental/emotional aspect - yeah, a bit more time would certainly help if you can tolerate the wait ok.

I had to go get a new Keurig, hubby took the old one with him for us to use there. I honestly tried using some instant that I bought. But, no dice...BLECH! Got a fabulous deal at Kohls on a new one with a filtration system in it. Found a couple pair if jeans and a very nice bright red sweater, too, all on ultra low clearance. This wonderfully helpful woman offered to help me out to the car, but I declined. I'm walking around basically ok, stiff and slow, so figured I should tough it out and hang in there. I so appreciate when strangers offer help - it's always been the older folks, never the younger ones, though. Then, stopped at grocery for coffee cream, then home. Once home with REAL coffee in hand, been elevating and resting. I've come to really appreciate all this resting, that's for sure. Before, I was on the go 24/7 - never took the time to smell the roses. Now, I have no choice but to take my time and just appreciate every little thing.
 
Hi Blue - funny you mentioned your GYN visit coming soon. My PCP told me to cancel/change date for mine because he thought I should wait because of the bending knee thing and said I could hold off a few months. You are ahead of me in recovery so I think you will be fine and they will understand.

When is your trip to CT? Have you been practicing on any stairs? I have started now practicing coming down our front stairs in our house on a few steps without a crutch. I have been using one crutch going up and down since I came home. Now I feel more balanced and PT said to practice slowly coming down the last few steps with my hand on the wall the other on the banister. You always have to remember crutch first going down. With BTKR you have to choose which leg is stronger going up and the weaker one going down. Right now my left leg feels more normal and fluid and the right is tighter and more mechanical feeling. We worked on my right leg today at PT. A bit sore tonight but know I am making progress and getting stronger.

You have already done so much more outside your home than me. I have yet to go to the grocery by myself. Hubby keeps doing the shopping, can't wait to take control of that some day, he comes home with the strangest bargains lol. But I must say he is a good cook and has really tried.

I too keep thinking how I will feel come July my birthday month - will the tightness be gone, will I sleep through the night, will my walking feel better and natural. My PT has already seen changes and told me today I am walking much better than last week. The little changes help to notice. I read about others saying how great they felt at 6 months others it took longer. I think we just want the progress to move faster as we heal and it won't. I guess we can be thankful we were able to have the surgery and are much better off now than before right? :)

Not sure if you have any stiffness on the sides of your knees but my PT showed something that helps today. You roll a tennis ball with your hand over the IT band on the right side of your leg or knee. She also said you can use a rolling pin on your thighs to loosen them up. Of course stretching works too.

So what advice could you give me on taking my first trip to the grocery store alone? Remember we still have ice and snow where I live and the cold. Hope you continue to do well in your healing process. Kim
 
Blue - you amaze me! You drive so many places and run errands in big stores. Hats off to you! Are you sore or stiff later from all the walking? Motivating me to push harder.
 
@newkneesNH, thank you! I'm SO happy to hear how much better you're doing!! It feels like you're well and truly moving forward, doesn't it? First, that rolling pin deal on your thighs REALLY works!!! My PT had me try it and I continued to use it at home for several weeks. For me, it felt good but also made my mind focus on something other than how much I was/wasn't bending. I might try the tennis ball, but need to wait just a bit - touching my IT band area on the left knee is extremely unpleasant, I'm keeping a knot of swelling there right now.

For my outings, I try fully planning ahead exactly where I'm going, what I need, and the most direct walking route. It's silly to try planning so much, but that's helped me accomplish short little errands and not have a lot of ill effects from them. I don't mind doing several trips through the week now, either, instead of trying one big, long one. For example, yesterday I bought some produce, bread, cereal, and cheese - bing, bang, boom - in and out in less than 20 mins. Today, a couple freezer dishes and the coffee cream. Don't be afraid to use one of the little electric carts, either!! And, if it starts feeling like you're done, wrap it up and head home. You'll find you tend to get pooped easy the first few times, but don't push yourself too far or too long. I think it feels awesome just to be out for a bit! I also have one of the temporary handicapped stickers for my car - that helps A LOT. Then my walking is used inside instead of crossing a parking lot. I also do NOT stand in one spot - I just cannot tolerate that. I keep moving, slowly sure, even at the checkout.

Since you're in the north, you have to be careful of slipping. Do you know the places that keep their lots/sidewalks cleaned off? When I lived in Michigan, I knew exactly where I could go when it snowed and still be able to get in and out okay. Plan just a short little trip first to build some confidence - I felt almost paranoid without hubby there at first!! Once you do a couple short trips, you'll get right in the rhythm of what you need to do :). And, I ice/ elevate once home. Depending what I've done, I may also modify my other exercise so as not to overdue.

Seems like a lot of planning for simple stuff, huh? I'm a born planner though, so it gives me comfort and a sense of confidence going forward :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom