MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night, for the FIRST time since before my original surgeries, I actually straightened my right leg FULLY - YES!!!
:yay: and Yippee! .... Isn't it amazing that what seems ho-hum to "regular" folks is a really big deal to us BoneSmarties! .... and if your left leg is paying attention it'll get the message and straighten out pretty soon too:SUNsmile:
 
Wow comfy jeans. Way to go. Yes, you will need them in CT. I wore jeans the other day but only lasted a couple of hours in them. My leg swelled and they felt too tight. I miss my jeans.
 
@saltyal I'm fortunate because the left knee is a bit ahead of the right, extension there is about 0 now :) Having the right knee be straight is even bigger, that means I'm becoming balanced, hee hee. And BOY does this help with walking comfortably! I'm noticing, too, far less other aches and pains (hips, back, ankles)

@traveler1 I wondered how long I'd last with the jeans, but it stayed good all day. I went to the bowling alley with hubby tonight, keeping legs elevated on a chair then walking around a few times. The swelling wasn't bad, got home and have them properly elevated now. I felt silly being so tickled about wearing REAL pants, but HEY! To me, it's BIG! :happydance:

@Texan just when I think a step forward, I do something silly and basically stay in place or step back. Here I'm tickled about the straight right knee and wearing jeans, then have to double check my OS appointment time for tomorrow - oh, wait, it's NOT tomorrow, its NEXT TUESDAY! Geesh, how in the world do things get so mentally jumbled right now?? I'm not on that much narcotic pain meds, gosh! Oh well, at least I didn't MISS the dang thing, right?? :umm:

Tomorrow, I do a little grocery shopping. I'm making Turkish egg rolls (borak) to take to my sister-in-laws for the family gathering on Saturday. It's basically seasoned ground meat (beef or lamb) rolled in won ton wrappers and deep fried - they're DELICIOUS!! So, I'll do a quick trip, then cook the meat (it needs to cool before being rolled up anyway). The rolling and frying will happen Saturday morning, and I'll do that sitting down :) I'm debating whether I want to try making a batch of double chocolate cookies to take as well. When I made them last weekend, I handled it pretty well - again, I did it all sitting down, then elevating in between batches. We'll see how I handle the other stuff first, I guess. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew and put myself in the hole for Saturday, so to speak :whistle::sorry:
 
Geesh, how in the world do things get so mentally jumbled right now??

Somewhere around 4-5 weeks post-op I decided to do a little of my part around the kitchen & put some stuff away. So I grabbed the toaster to put it away but there was no room on the shelves in there so I started shuffling things around but there was just no way it was going in there... and then I realized the toaster doesn't belong in the fridge! :rolleyes:
 
:rotfl: Now THAT'S a great story!!!
 
I tried getting back in the kitchen yesterday. Miss cooking and grocery shopping. I made spaghetti sauce for dinner. That went well. Then decided to make 2 cranberry breads from scratch. After 2 hours of cooking I was not doing very well. My husband got home just in time to get me to my chair and ice me. I had tears of frustration flowing because I was so sad how tired two hours in the kitchen made me feel. It was exhausting!
I had my second pt today with the other pt Jen today very kind and we did new exercises. The other pt Dana (male) is tougher with me. I remind him that I will not do anything that hurts. Jen is more caring and keeps asking if anything is hurting. I've worked with 6 different physical therapist since surgery and they are all different! We could all write a book about our experiences lol. I cannot thank everyone here enough for all the kind thoughtful words of support and concern you have shown me. I have learned so much through all of you and have never felt alone in my recovery because of all of you. This site has been a God send to me and continues to give me hope and motivation that one day I will walk easily pain free and be able to reflect on this journey being a success because of all the encouragement I received from all of you. Thank you for continuing to be here for me. (Kim)
 
Kim, we all have those days where we just plain try to do too much for the point where we are in our recovery. So, don't be frustrated. The thing to do is just to pull back a bit and rest/ice until your knees feel better. Then start again at a little slower pace. It's important to remember that any pain you get from an activity likely isn't going to show up right way unless you REALLY overdo things. So....it's best to stop before the pain may start, wait a couple of hours and then see how you feel. You'll likely be tired, but not hurting that way. Then, if you did okay with that activity, next time you could try just a little more.

But....trust me.....we've all been in your shoes. And we made it through all these challenges. You will too!!!
 
I couldn't even come close doing this before. It gives me a real sense of moving forward in recovery.
]
:yay:YAYAYAYAYA!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

This is perfect timing because it darned sure isn't shorts weather in Connecticut! Here in Orlando, we're still in the high 60's to low 70's, so they're fine for right now, too. AND, I can actually dress normally for our family gathering on Saturday, yay!!!
Oh how I miss that weather!!!! HAVE FUN this weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Blue sounds like you have this weekends chores under control. Enjoy the get together and don't over do.
 
Well, it was basically just another day. I did my short trip to the store (walked freely into the store, no cart or cane), came home and cooked my meat for the borak (egg rolls), and a whole lot of nothing else :heehee: Decided NOT to do the cookies - too much up and down right now. I'll roll and fry tomorrow morning, they'll be nice and crispy when served, YUM!

I rode my bike for ten minutes, reached 3.9 mph, and went all of .37 miles <sigh...>. BEFORE surgery cardio workout consisted of maintaining 118 RPM and doing 3 min 17 sec miles. I routinely did between 5 - 7 miles each ride, and did this at least three times weekly. On the weekends, I'd rollerblade between 12 - 20 miles on a trip, there's a beautiful biking trail here that you can gauge your distance depending where you're at. Hubby's joking with me about strapping my skates on any day now :yikes:

I have a long way to go rebuilding my stamina and endurance, needless to say strength. All in good time. Right now, I'm just pleased I can do everything that I am doing. I can tell a big difference in my stamina compared to a couple of weeks ago, it sure helps actually being able to do exercises and daily things. I feel like I'm nearly rounding a BIG corner :yay: I'm actually looking forward to getting to Connecticut and conquering those stairs!
 
For anyone that needs it, here's a link I found on the forum for a large discount on Celebrex: https://www.celebrex.com/offers.aspx

My cooking and our outing went well yesterday - I migrated from chair to couch to chair, trying to elevate whenever I could. We stayed a couple of hours, by the time we left I was well ready to. Elevated the remainder of the evening, took a sleeping aid, then actually slept from about eleven until five this morning! That's THE longest stretch of sleep in what seems like forever!

Today, I've ridden the bike three times, about ten minutes each time. I'm focusing on keeping my feet on the pedals, controlling the motion. I'm getting stronger now, I can feel it!
 
It is good to hear you finally got a good nights sleep!
 
Glad everything went well for you yesterday and you elevated when you could. It does feel good to get out and socialize doesn't it. Sounds like you are doing better on the bike. I do the bike at pt and also am concentrating on properly pedaling. I tend to pedal with my foot on the pedal closer to my heel than where it should be. This to will improve with preactice.
 
I have been going to outpatient p/t for a couple of weeks but the therapist never had me get on the bike. I always read about other bonesmarties using the bike so I asked if I could try it. He let me on my last visit and I was able to make the full rotation without pain so I rode for 5 minutes. That was the most exciting thing for me. Almost afraid I was going to fall off the bike I was so excited!:bicycle1:
 
@Texan , that's so odd that your PT never had you ride the bike until you asked. From everything I've seen and read, it's one of the best exercises for our new knees. Most of us went thru days/weeks of only being able to rock the pedals back and forth before we could do full rotations, so maybe your therapist realizes this and wanted you to be able to skip that frustration and just be able to pedal like a pro! :)
 
actually slept from about eleven until five this morning! That's THE longest stretch of sleep in what seems like forever!
Can't wait for that day!!! Sounds lovely to sleep that long! GOOD FOR YOU BLUE!!!!! :yay:

@Texan that's so odd that your PT never had you ride the bike until you asked. From everything I've seen and read, it's one of the best exercises for our new knees.
Mine hasn't either!!! I think I will ask her about it! :what:
 
I'd definitely ask about the bike, @suzzee2000 ! It really feels good to me, I can stretch and bend just exactly how much I want/need to. I'm getting ready to try adjusting the seat a little closer to get more bend, too - maybe do that tomorrow, start the day with a bang :SUNsmile:

I'm going to look for one of the little floor set of pedals to take on my trip with me. There, it's still icy and snowy out, NOT great for trying to walk in right now. I'll get exercise climbing up and down the stairs, but need to make sure to take all my "cheat sheets" with me on the other exercises and stuff. Progress sure is slooooooooooow, just tends to drive me crazy - today being one of my crazy days. Trying to get things together, do stuff on computer, get hubby's stuff situated - it's all just a bit much. Already had a crying jag this morning, eesh - I really hate starting the day like that. I used to be such a morning person. Now, I have to plan the first couple of hours to get loose, elevate, let the meds do their magic - it's like the day is half gone before I'm able to pull myself together. I cannot imagine trying to get up in the morning, get myself ready for work AND out the door by 0730 hrs., wow.

I have my OS appointment tomorrow, then had to schedule my annual GYN appointment on Wednesday to renew my HRT prescription, it expires in April. I'm just wondering how I'll be able to get situated at GYN for the actual exam, that might be a bit tricky if I'm not bending my knees enough (I'm not getting graphic, but ladies, you know what I'm talking about!) I've told them I'm recovering from bilateral TKR, so they'll just have to wing it somehow I guess. Ah, well, life does go on, doesn't it? I'll just take it as it comes.

Tonight is the Miley Cyrus concert here that I'd bought youngest step daughter tickets for. I'm more than disappointed I'm not the one taking her. But, I know it's far better to have her older sister go than for me to try - that would literally be torture right now after about the first hour. I just keep thinking, I'll be so glad two months from now, or three months from now. It helps to remove myself mentally from the present - at least down the road there's relief, functionality, strength, endurance, productivity :)
 
I'm going to look for one of the little floor set of pedals to take on my trip with me.
Great Idea!!!! I will talk to them about the bike and also I have a Dr appt with my OS on April 2nd (I think) and will talk to him about the therapy and bicycle after I get home! :)



Trying to get things together, do stuff on computer, get hubby's stuff situated - it's all just a bit much. Already had a crying jag this morning, eesh - I really hate starting the day like that. I used to be such a morning person. Now, I have to plan the first couple of hours to get loose, elevate, let the meds do their magic - it's like the day is half gone before I'm able to pull myself together. I cannot imagine trying to get up in the morning, get myself ready for work AND out the door by 0730 hrs., wow.

I've always been a morning person too and have done all of the invoicing and paperwork for my husbands construction business so When I think about going home to the kids and etc and the insane lifestyle I have I hope I don't have too much of a change. It's very easy here in Rehabilitation with "servants" at your beckon call....I'm NOT used to that but hey....maybe it will help but maybe it will throw me into crying fits when I get home! :what:
 
:dancy::dancy:Sounds like you are doing great!!!!!! :)

I would be LOST without my exercise bike, it's how I get rid of my stiffness every morning......
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom