Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the great tip I will check out. Starting outpatient physical therapy today sure to start on bike today.
 
Your knees look fabulous!!! Have fun on your trip. The change of scenery will do wonders for your mood. Shoot, I can go to Target and it improves my mood! Can't imagine what a trip to CT would do. hahaha
 
Bleh, a grey overcast day down here. This morning I felt like I was coming down with a bug, started bawling when hubby asked how I felt. Removed myself to the living room, cried freely for a few minutes, blew my nose, took a deep breath, then thought, "no guts, no glory - onward!". Freshened up, went to the grocery - parked next to the cart return so I took a cart in with me instead of using my cane. I was in the store all of about fifteen minutes, then, back home. Basically rested all day, took my meds, have drank tons of liquids, feeling a little rough around the edges but tons better than this morning. I told hubby if I feel even a little ooky right now, it's just too much combined with everything else.

I've ridden my bike once, will do so again shortly, maybe again before bed. I don't know, but maybe the wet weather is making the pain a bit worse today?? My right knee has been having stabbing pains on and off today, the left knee is pretty good.

I did NOT go to the meeting of daughters boyfriend the other night. When we started thinking of how long the walk was, how crowded it could be, not knowing if there would be a place to sit, we figured better off waiting till next time to meet him. Ended up with quite a bit of pain in the evening, too, so it was best we stayed home. I iced/elevated for majority of evening. Afterwards, daughter said she was glad we didn't go because people were bumping into each other, they were elbow to elbow. I told her I would've been terrified in the midst of all that.

I've also made arrangements for her to take youngest daughter to a concert on the 24th - a week away. I'd bought tickets last fall to the Miley Cyrus concert for she and I, as well as handicapped parking fully believing I'd be much further along than I am. I just don't think I can walk from parking garage to the Amway Center, then to our seats, sit there for several hours, then walk back to truck. So, it's better to make other arrangements <sigh> At least youngest daughter will enjoy it!
 
Blue I vacation sounds really good and the change of scenery will probably lift your mood,. Flying sounds much better than driving. It's nice you are now using a regular toliet seat. Sorry you had a blue day. Just when you think those days are over they pop back up. Ahhh, the roller coaster rise of tkr. Hope you feel better
 
Blue, my knees were also very swollen and painful today with the wet weather. I was very used to that with my arthritic knees; just didn't expect it with my new knees. Wondered if it was a coincidence but you're also mentioning it.... hmmm.... so I wonder.

I'm OVER this whole thing. I'm tired of not being able to be comfortable in bed... or on dining chair... or on sofa... or any-freaking-place in my home.

I should be VERY grateful, and I know it! My recovery has gone pretty well and I know I'm just being impatient and irrational.
I knew intellectually before doing this that recovery was a year - but now I realize what exactly that means. I'm nine weeks tomorrow since my BTKR.

I'm trying to treat myself like I'd treat a friend who'd undergone this surgery. The urge is there, especially since I was in pain for nearly 3.5 years prior to surgery, to just grit my teeth and push through the pain. I know it's counter to recovery mindset so I'm really trying.

I wasn't even logging on here since I didn't feel like I could be positive. I know I'm fortunate. Just don't feel like it this week....

Subject change - Did you decide to head north?

Hugs
Jacki
 
Jacki please don't stay away just because you are having a bad day. We all have them and are here to support each other. I know what you mean about being over this recovery even though we are truly at the beginning of our recovery. I am also 9 weeks today and feel like it has been forever. Please keep letting us know how you are doing.
 
Thank you, traveler... I've been withdrawn a lot in real life, too. Still in my jammies here since I just can't seem to get moving. Only slept from 3:00-8:00am (give or take) so considering a nap.

Lee will be home about five so that makes my deadline 4:00pm to get showered and dressed!

Hugs
Jacki
 
I had to make a decision about travel earlier this year and threw the topic out to the board for guidance and advice. It was about a 3 1/2 hour flight at about 6 weeks post op.

I will try to paste the thread here. Travel after 6 weeks? Help?

Don't know if you can click on the thread or not.

Bottom line was that I got a lot of helpful info from the Bone Smarties that eased my fears.

I would:
1. Try to get a bulkhead seat
2. Get up and walk about every 45 mins.
3. Bring soothing music to play on your headphones during flight.
4. Have a wheelchair waiting at airport if needed.
5. Have some ice ready when you get out of the airport.

I decided to make the trip and was so glad I did. I was very anxious before the trip and even wondered several times if I was making a huge mistake. The trip went off without incident and my mental health took a big leap forward. Huge confidence booster.

Hope you feel up to making the trip!
 
@tomk Thank you, great tips that I'll be sure to follow! I have definitely decided to go. I will definitely be flying, too. Hubby's driving up and arriving the night before, then I'll fly up the following morning. My intention is to definitely have the wheelchair assistance right now, too. Normally on a plane, I don't get up at all - this flight will sure be different. We can also get a straight through flight rather than any lay overs.

@JackiFL Hon, don't just come to share the good - ya gotta air out the bad, too!! I firmly believe if you don't vent, it all just rolls around and ferments, becoming WAY worse in a very short time. Heavens, read back through this thread alone and you'll see lot's of down days. My goodness, I think we all get caught off guard with just how difficult, painful, frustrating, and tedious this recovery actually is. AND, my bellow BTKR buddy, we've got it DOUBLE. Even yesterday, I broke out crying again. And I'm not even on narcotic meds except right before bed, geesh. It's just very emotionally draining to not be 100%, hear everyone asking why, and feeling their disappointment that you're not doing what THEY feel you should be up to doing. Hubby and I were talking about it last night, he's said many times he cannot imagine what I'm going through - especially because my knee's look really good and I am becoming more mobile. I keep telling him THAT'S the problem - I am more mobile, I feel better, so I try more then it bites me right in the tookus! Just try facing one day at a time, make the most of that day, and have reasonable expectations for what you should try accomplishing. I've had to adjust mine several times, lowering of course, but have faith that it will all come back.

Today's been ok - have had some shooting pains, but again, I think that's mainly nerve regeneration. I did a short twenty minute trip to Sam's Club for dog food, coffee, almonds, and honey - it helps to know the layout and bee line directly to where I need to go instead of trying to find stuff. I again parked next to cart return and used cart to walk in and out with - it helps a lot. Focused on walking with a proper gait, slowly, but proper. Came home and elevated, took Tylenol, then after a bit rode my bike for about ten minutes. Getting ready to make some supper, fried cabbage w/pork YUM. Hubby always helps with the chopping and dicing, then I just stick it all it a pan and stir every now and then. Not much "on the feet" time for this one, either.
 
Hey Blue , just checking in on you . I can just imagine how blue you get . Im pretty depressed myself and ive just replaced one knee. Lack of sleep is the main culprit. Im sure of it . Along with not being able to do what I normally due . I hope you have a safe and fun trip . I need one myself . Maybe Newport Beach in the OC in Southern California. I have relatives there . I have a standing invitation . Hang in there Blue. Youve gone too far now ! Best wishes .
 
@icep707 I totally agree - lack of sleep is awful!! I see my OS this Friday and plan on asking him for some assistance as well as a pain med refill so I'm covered while away. I feel like all I do all night is toss, turn, roll, reposition, and move stupid pillows around, I'm a wreck. It's gotten to where I can't nap during the day now, which for me is the norm anyway. It just sets you up for being an emotional mess, just what's needed right now!

I'm getting excited about the trip, hubby booked my ticket tonight requesting assistance. I was out in San Francisco for a long weekend about three years ago, it was so gorgeous!! We're planning on doing a lot of travel this next year - Arizona and Las Vegas are next on our list. Last November, we spent Thanksgiving and Jaco Costa Rica and loved it! Newport Beach would be a blast, I think you should take advantage of the invite!! What better time than now to rest and recreate a little?
 
Iecp707 It looks like you are at about 5 weeks? Man I remember how tough sleep was at that time. Hopefully your recovery is like mine in that about 7-8 weeks sleep got a lot better.

Excited for my OS appointment today. Routine 12 week checkup.

Sleeping great, no meds, no ice! Keep the faith!
 
Here's my pondering of the day....

I have my OS appointment on Friday. Just what do they look for, or what criteria do they use, to gauge a return to work date? Does it depend on the type of work you do, your actual ROM or extension, or how you realistically are getting around?
 
I had my 12 week post-op appointment today with my OS.

OS said that I should just let common sense guide what I can do and told me to make an appointment one year from now. :)

To comment on your pondering, my OS told me at my last appointment to let my pain and stamina be my guides with regard to work. He said I could push it and that I would not do any damage. He said just don't overdo it.
I eased into work for a few weeks and eventually went to full days. Still get a little tired late in the day but am doing pretty good overall.

Hope I helped!
 
on't just come to share the good - ya gotta air out the bad, too!! I firmly believe if you don't vent, it all just rolls around and ferments, becoming WAY worse in a very short time.
So so true!!

I think we all get caught off guard with just how difficult, painful, frustrating, and tedious this recovery actually is.

I know I have been Blue! It's the hardest part for us!
Hang in there Blue...AS we already know...do all that the mantras say! :)
So glad you are going to get to go on a little vacation Blue!!!! You deserve it! :yay:
 
Good morning, all. HUGE forward progress!!!! Last night, for the FIRST time since before my original surgeries, I actually straightened my right leg FULLY - YES!!!!! I even asked hubby to confirm!!! :dancy: This is my problem child, for sure - more swelling, more pain, limited range. So, this is really very, very big to me :) AND, I didn't need to prop it on a pillow for most of the night, either. Now, this was with holding my foot in one hand and pressing down with the other BUT I couldn't even come close doing this before. It gives me a real sense of moving forward in recovery. :egypdance:
 
Great job. Even what seems like a small thing to other feels like a huge accomplishment to us! You are coming along great. Slow but sure is the name of the game even though it sometimes feels like it will never return to normal. Guess we have to learn patience and good things will happen.
 
Congratulations on getting that knee straight! I am at 4 degrees and I want that knee straight! On someones post I read that she had her husband press gently on her knee everyday for 2 weeks with no progress. Then the third week her knee straightened. I asked my husband to try to do that this morning. Just a gentle movement to the point of discomfort but no pain. We are going to do this everyday to see if it helps. I only have 4 more visits with p/t so I am getting a little worried since I am not where I want to be yet. You have done so well and have been an inspiration to me! Love reading your posts.
 
thanks, @traveler1 and @Texan !! I was really shocked, I'd been trying and trying to straighten the dang thing. Even if I have to assist a little, progress is definitely being made. Texan, I read that same post and mentioned it to hubby - no WAY would he do it!! He just knew he'd hurt me! I, too, only have I think about six or seven visits at most for PT. I'd rather save them for a little further down the road when I feel I need a "tune up" for my gait and such.

BIG news TODAY??!! :spin:I am ACTUALLY wearing my real JEANS!!!!! I've lived in black yoga pants since surgery - I am SO tired of black yoga pants! Eesh, I'll never wear them again after I fully recover! But, I can now wear my regular jeans and they're actually comfortable. I was concerned with the tightness around my knees, the rubbing on my scars - but, they feel really goooooooooood. This is perfect timing because it darned sure isn't shorts weather in Connecticut! Here in Orlando, we're still in the high 60's to low 70's, so they're fine for right now, too. AND, I can actually dress normally for our family gathering on Saturday, yay!!!

Traveler1, yes the small things can be really BIG sometimes :happydance:Sure helps pick the mood up, that's for sure :yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom