Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue sounds like you are getting along pretty good now. I know what you mean about getting on with life. Good job. yesterday hubby and I went to the mall. I actually got on a pair of cotton pants. The right leg was tighter than the left but manageable. I walked thru Penney's bought a pair of pants for a dinner dance we are going to next week. We then got a wheelchair and hit a few other stores. Stopped at Starbucks for coffee. Went home iced elevated and went to a fish fry with neighbors. I actually slept thru the night without difficulty. It is so good to feel normal isn't it.
 
So glad to hear you had a comfortable night! I love having my little dog in bed with me in the morning. He is always so happy to see me first thing in the morning. The little trips out of the house have a positive effect on me, too. I think cabin fever has been the hardest part of recovery for me. I just want everything to be back to normal! I was really worried when it was time to send the CPM back. I progressed just as much without it. You are to be admired with your attitude about going to the gym. You go girl!
 
Wow Blue that is all so great. I am so happy for you!!! You have been through so much more than me with the mua. And watching your recovery all the time with you being 2 weeks ahead of me has helped so much. Just wish I still lived in Florida like you and had nice weather to want to go out. We are having a bitter cold March too very unusual and we are all tired of winter here.
I slept well but because I have been reducing pain med woke up at 8:30 with pain. Iced and meds asap and now better. Hubby cooks wonderful breakfast for me. His southern heritage always adds grits lol he was born I Orlando. Going to exercise and stretch and see what the day brings. Have a bunch of things to move upstairs. May take a drive me driving we'll see its supposed to be in 40s today so not too bad. I start pt Monday at a great pt place 7 minutes from home and in same building as my PCP who I see Monday too. My sister is coming for visit Sunday from out of state that will lift my spirits. My brother and his wife showed up with a movie and Chinese food last night. So my family is rallying to show their love and it really helps. Had a long talk with our only daughter in California this week too which was great. Why are you choosing not to go to a physical therapist anymore? I have atleast 6 weeks more of that to go. Just wondered. Enjoy your day and those cookies! I had planned to make homemade cranberry bread. Love to snuggle my pets too they are so loving. My Scout a Bernese mountain dog keeps licking my legs with kisses she knows something happen to me. Thanks for writing!
 
@newkneesNH my insurance only covers twenty PT visits per year - right now, I've used about half of those. Going after the MUA's, they were having me ride the bike, then massaging/bending knees, followed by TENS unit and icing - other than TENS, I can do all of that at home. My last visit, Attila the Hun really hurt my left knee by putting her whole body weight on it while it was extended in front of me - took a couple of days to recover from THAT. When I seen my OS the following Tuesday, we discussed continuing PT or me going on my own for a bit. I opted for on my own since I have so few visits (I still have a $30 co pay each visit!), and said I figured I could use the rest later on if I felt I needed a "tune up".

I've had a great morning. My dad came down for a visit, I baked my cookies while he was here and sent a good dozen or so home with him. I've been working on laundry all day, too. In between, keeping legs elevated. I'll be getting into a hot bath here in a couple hours - hubby wants to go and meet his oldest daughter and her new beau this evening for about a half hour. I'm still on the fence about THAT because it involves walking all through an open shopping plaza, they're having a huge sidewalk bash for St. Patrick's Day, and there will be tons of people with little hope of actual seating available. This is our first meeting of new beau, and hubby already explained we'd be there only about twenty minutes - I can't take much longer than that AND have the fortitude to get back to the vehicle.

@Texan THANK YOU!! I've always figured doing something is better than doing nothing. I feel ever so much better at least TRYING to be the active person I was - within reason. I have zero aspirations of picking up where I left off at, but I can dang sure ride their bikes and use their free weights. It's going to feel GREAT!!

@traveler1 didn't it feel WEIRD wearing the cotton pants??? When I had my shorts and leggings on, it felt very strange to me, I've gotten so used to the yoga pants I've been living in. I don't even think I have a pair of jeans I can stand, but will try a pair on tonight. If not, it'll be a nice pair of black yoga pants and pretty top for our possible excursion. I noticed my scars felt sensitive to the fabric tight on them last night. If that happens with the jeans, they're coming off. I will be shopping for a couple pair this week, I think, though. We have a family function next weekend, and actually wearing REAL clothes would be fabulous. I don't have any that are the nice relaxed fit that I need right now.
 
I wore jeans yesterday and the feel of them on my scar when I first put them on were going to drive me batty...but I guess I got use to it.

I am glad you are doing well hon!!!
 
I went back and read even further.....I LOVE the positive attitude. I think the more I get out and the more I do, I can feel me coming back!

@newkneesNH yay for you for moving back upstairs. I was just thinking how long before I could move the guest bed out of the living room and get back upstairs lol!
 
Here's a picture of how my knees are progressing, I think they look great! Lots of swelling is finally calming down, I'm seeing definition in the knee cap areas. Progress is definately being made. Ten weeks post op, three weeks post MUA

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
 
Hi Blue - your knees look amazing! Glad all is going well and wish you continued improvement.
 
AND - the BIG news? I no longer need the elevated toilet seat :egypdance:Yep, actually removed that last night and have been fine. WOW, the poor toilet looks so small and short!! Hubby's totally impressed, too.

Today, walked around our little cul de sac with no assistance, it's gorgeous - 72, sunny, nice breeze. It felt wonderful wandering around. I've been on my bike, too, for about ten minutes. I'll go on again around four o'clock. I figure pedaling a bit every couple of hours, it really loosens me up :dancy:
 
I try to ride my bike a couple of times a day...for just a couple of minutes.....it does loosen me up. I thing your legs look WONDERFUL! I think you get the award for best looking scars....I am so happy for you, that things are truly turning around. I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks since your MUA!
 
Here's a picture of how my knees are progressing, I think they look great! Lots of swelling is finally calming down, I'm seeing definition in the knee cap areas. Progress is definately being made. Ten weeks post op, three weeks post MUA

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
Wow your knees look awesome!!! Good for you, I think you do deserve the prize. Congratulations on walking outside unassisted. Good job!
 
@RunA42K Bonnie and @Karringtyn thank you! :dancy: I've been really depressed the last week or so, feeling the "staring down a dark tunnel" aspect of this recovery. Proactively shifting my mental attitude the last few days has made a tremendous difference. Trying to focus on what I CAN do, and trying to regain my pre-surgery life (activities, diet, exercise, etc.) really helps, especially the emotional aspect at this point.

Hubby and I are planning on going from Orlando, FL to Hartford, CT to stay for a bit (while I'm still on disability). He has a wonderful old family home waaaaaaay out in the woods next to a river - it's a beautiful, relaxing, healing place - I adore it there!! We'd need to drive because we'll be taking our dogs with us as well as supplies and provisions. The drive is easily 16 hrs straight through, hubby would drive, I'd ride. I just don't think it's possible for me to ride that long!!!!! We'd need to stop literally every hour for a good ten to fifteen minutes for me to move and stretch. Hubby suggested him doing the drive, then I'd fly and join him - it's like a two and a half hour flight. How easy would it be to fly? I know arrangements can be made for assistance, which I'd definately need at this point. No way would I be able to walk all through the airports and such. And, would I be ABLE to fly right now - I think I'm far enough out from surgery that it wouldn't pose a health issue, but I will ask OS about it when I see him this Friday. Hubby could take my bags with him and all, too. I'd just have my purse and cane. Does anybody have any insights or suggestions for the travel?
 
All you have to do is tell the airline that you'll need assistance getting to the plane for departure and upon arrival at your destination. They will get you through security, help with your bags and when you arrive they will take care of getting you to the baggage area for your luggage. I had to just this about 10 days before my first TKR. I fly to Portland to see my Mom before my surgery when I was bone on bone and just could not walk. I got a ride each way in one of those 3 seater golf carts. They even offered me a wheel chair too, but I opted for the cart.
 
That sure sounds easy enough, and WAY better than that long ride!! When we were talking about it earlier, hubby even mentioned breaking it into two days - that'd be really difficult with the dogs and all.

At the house, you walk through the front door and stare straight up a very steep staircase with about fifteen stairs - I think between now and departure time, I need to practice stairs, I don't have any at my house. There, the entry level is a breezeway, basement/shower area and a garage on the side of the house. Upstairs is the actual living space - kitchen, bathroom w/tub, bedrooms and living room. It's in a very rural setting, lots of open spaces for walking. I may also get one of those simple little floor pedal thingies - I wouldn't trust myself on a real bike yet, though there are a couple already there. So, I could continue rehabbing, and learn to handle stairs.
 
Blue I think you will do great on the trip and you will catch onto the stairs with practice. Its harder coming down. I was instructed by my pt in my house how to do it with one crutch. I have many stairs to climb each day now that I have moved upstairs. With BTKR you have to choose the stronger leg on the stairs to lead with going up and the weaker going down. Going down it's always crutch or cane first then one foot at s time.
You are just doing so well and the change of scene will be healing. How did your time at the mall go the other day meeting the new girlfriend and you walking in the open mall? You are so brave!I am not ready to do that type of event.
I start my outpatient pt tomorrow with Dana known to be tough so i am preparing myself to be tough too about not hurting me.
Tell me more about the bike pedal thing for the floor and where they sell them? Take care and keep up your amazing recovery!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker I thought I'd pop in and see how you're doing. I've had a good read of your posts and it's nice to see how well you're progressing.

I hope that the St Patricks day visit went ok to meet his daughter and beau. At least he's had the good sense to warn them it will only be twenty minutes. I just hope that the place is not too crowded. I hate crowds at the moment still.

Your knees look fantastic, they really do. I think you've done terrifically well esp,having MUA as well.

It's lovely to see how well you're doing, it really is.

Love Nana moon 27

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 
I was reading and saw that you were talking about driving and you should have heard me...OH HECK nooooo I was yelling at you!!!! :)

Sounds like a fun trip. I love New England...yet I haven't been to CT...I love NH, VT, and Maine.... and I agree a lot of the time it is INDEED in the attitude....xoxoxox
 
@Bluetechseeker Your knees look fantastic and you have a great attitude. I'm not sure how you managed two at the same time since just my left one was enough for me. Good luck. You are doing great.
 
@newkneesNH If you go to Amazon and just do a search for 'Peddler' (in health & fitness) you will get three pages of different ones with different prices of which are very affordable. I don't have one because I have my actual bike on a trainer stand that turns my bike into a stationary bike. I know that home health care uses these as well. You just sit in one of your own chairs and peddle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom