MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way to go Mr. Blue. Like you said seeing stuff that needs to be done and not being able to do it can be aggravating. Sounds like the old kneecation and call to the doc is in order for the new pain.
 
I am so sorry to hear about this new pain. I hope it resolves quickly. Best wishes tomorrow.
 
I hear you when you say you just want it to be DONE! It's nearly 8 weeks for me which means nearly 9 for you (since original surgery) and the bits and pieces really have taken over my life.

I'm going to have a trial run at watching my grandbabies tomorrow afternoon for a few hours. Can't wait to get to my normal routines.

Understand your reaction about the cruise. Lee asked me today when I think I'll be up to going to St Augustine (a walkers paradise lol). Told him that we'll have to take it week by week.

I'm on Aleve now, two am, two pm. No pain meds since last Tuesday; but I still have both Percocet and Hydrocodone left, in case.

If I'm up to it (this crazy chest cold - two weeks + now) I'm going to go to the gym in the morning and do the NuStep and walk in the pool.

Nighty night wabbits,
Jacki
 
Blue, you are doing so well! I wish I was doing as well. I still think there is an MUA in my near future. I'm at exactly 12 weeks and have stayed between 86-91 flexion and that's only at PT when I'm really pushing it. . I continue to stay swollen, tight, and have pain most of the time. I see my surgeon on Wednesday and he will decide then. I originally thought I would fight that but now I think I really do need help.
Demerol and Dilaudid for home?? Most of the docs around here wouldn't even consider that. I don't think my Vicodin is doing much for me anymore. I would love to have something stronger even for short term.
I'm going to have to start taking notes from your posts and all the wonderful people who have commented along the way. You have one of the best "threads" ever!
Keep up the good work! I wish your positive attitude would rub off on me. I have some difficulty when it comes to that.....my entire family was always kind of negative in their way of thinking and I have found that hard to "shake."
 
Thankful to read this thread today. Got the tears of frustration today. Out of the blue get sad about the process being slow. Tired of being tired and sore. Just past 7 wks now. Started outpatient physical therapy yesterday says it will be for 6 wks. Therapist that evaluated me said my ROM and knees look very good. Had btkr Jan 23. Trying to ease off pain med to alive and Tylenol now. Still have not moved upstairs yet to normal bedroom because of stairs. I can do stairs now just need to make move. Anyone else have advice on when they moved back upstairs in house?
 
Just checking in to see how you're feeling. How your knee pain has subsided
 
Thank you for checking on me. In bed with my leg massaging machine alternating my calf muscles feels so good. Hubby says he saw a second massage pillow machine upstairs so I can do both legs at same time. Helps before I sleep. Had to take some pain meds today held off with ice and Tylenol as long as I could. Go to pt on Thurs nervous about workout planned and pain to follow? How are you doing? Sweet dreams hopefully. Meds give me crazy dreams.
 
Hi, @traveler1 yes, after my kneecation, the pain is gone, thank goodness. I think I rushed pushing myself on the CPM, so the last couple of days I've slowly used it, yesterday only to 80, today to about 90, and have no actual pain - tightness a while after, yes, but not the horrid pain from the other night.

@newkneesNH how are you today?? Have you moved upstairs yet? Why are you holding off on Tylenol and ice? I actually have skipped my Tylenol dose a couple of times these last couple of days with no ill effects. I have been icing a bit more, though, so perhaps that "balances" things out?? I also didn't take pain med before bed last night and slept fairly well, so that's my plan for tonight as well. I ordered new bedding which arrived yesterday morning. Made the bed with the new stuff and it was heaven sliding in between the sheets last night. Try not worrying about PT tomorrow - just do NOT let them hurt you, take charge of the session and do what you're able to but without pain.

I am trying something new tomorrow - purely for my own mental health at this point. I am SO over this recovery, I can't stand it anymore!! I'm so tired of being so isolated, impaired, frustrated, impatient - ugh, I'm just done. So, tomorrow morning, I'm going to work! Well, not my actual job, but going to the home office with hubby and learning some of what he's doing so I can take it over for him. It's all computer work at this point, so I can learn it then do at my leisure - it'll take a huge load off hubby, we're in the midst of setting up a second business which is a huge undertaking. Hubby can then concentrate on the new business while I (hopefully) handle the other stuff (i.e., paperwork, computer work) for the current business. It'll help my whole attitude to no end doing SOMETHING other than rehab, but I know I'm no where near ready to go back to my job - no way am I ready for traveling, customer calls, visits, putting proposals together. Corporate and my home office called yesterday checking on me. Dad called asking if I'm moving them knees yet. Today when hubby asked what I thought my timing for being up and "running" was, I just started crying. Gaaaaaaah. So, I'm changing it up tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, it'll give my mind something else to work on instead of worrying, dwelling, and fretting on progress/no progress.
 
Hi Blue and other Bonesmarts following this thread,
Good news I moved upstairs and I am spending the first night in my super comfy bed. Took a shower and shampoo. Feeling more normal to be back where I belong
 
I think you misunderstood about the Tylenol and ice. I am taking more Aleve and Tylenol and icing a lot and trying to take less pain meds. I want to drive hopefully this weekend start so can't be on pain meds for that. Everyone heals differently and everyone's pain levels are different. I am a few weeks behind some of you but doing better. I get the whole thing about wanting all this healing and rehabilitation to be faster but we've been through so much and have to be kind to ourselves. I guess we take steps to change things when we are ready just like my vna physical therapist said you will know when you are ready to do more. She was right. It feels so wonderful to be in my favorite bed again and my hubby is thrilled. So one day at a time. Frustrations come and go with daily life and knowing it will get better helps. The pt is hard work and the exercises too but the only way to get full range back and the life I want. I will work hard at my first pt session tomorrow won't let them hurt me and know I have meds if I need them. We are in the middle of a snow storm tonight so could get cancelled tomorrow we'll see. Thank you for all your support and caring. Good night.
 
Well, my day of "Mental Change" has went well :SUNsmile: Got up BEFORE eight o'clock this morning!!!! I haven't been hauling myself out of bed much before nine for weeks now. Had my meds, coffee, and bowl of oatmeal then went to work with hubby until about noon. He figured that was a full enough first day for his new Gal Friday :heehee: Got a hot bath, dressed, then started icing and CPM'ing. Was able to tolerate the ice cuffs on both knees for two full hours, longest for several weeks now I think. I've done the right CPM, got up to 105 today. Rode my bike for about five minutes this morning and this afternoon, will ride again this evening. Will be doing left CPM here shortly, had to feed the pooches.

Had a HORRIBLE night last night, I don't think I slept a total of three hours. Pain from swelling behind right knee, pain again on inside of right knee and now starting on left knee. Made it miserable all night long, regardless of how I was laying or how many pillows I had. This afternoon, I called OS office to ask what else I can do for it, is it normal, do I need more pain meds????? OS said the pain I'm having is normal, to keep doing what I'm doing, if it gets any worse to call back and come in. So, we'll keep on moving forward. I already have an appointment for next Friday, so we'll see how everything shapes up between now and then.

@newkneesNH That's GREAT you moved to your room and comfy bed!! I'm sure last night felt heavenly for you AND hubby! It just feels so good getting back to a sense of normal, doesn't it? I hope your PT today, if not cancelled, was good and you felt strong and empowered afterwards. :friends:
 
Just checking in on you Blue. Im sorry to hear you are still in pain . Is this a reoccurring pain ? Or a totally different pain . Wont meds and ice relieve it at all ? Just remember Blue when we were pre op , we knew we where in for unholy war. I find bending my knee on a stair really helps with my bend. I was already beginning to worry but it really had to do with me odic. Now , im not worried. OPT has helped. Its funny because im scheduled with 2 guys . One extra gentle the other extra rough. I actually get more bend with the rough guy. They gave me permission to come in anytime , anyday to use there equipment. Ive gone everyday and they really enjoy me showing up and to exercise. It is a 4 minute drive away. Well Blue , we are praying for you, stay postive , I know its hard. Bye
 
Hi, @icep707, thanks for checking in - I sure appreciate the thought. The pain is recurring, to me it feels like the beginning of tendonitis on the inside of each knee, the right being worse than the left. The pain behind the knee has been an issue for what feels like forever, I know it's due to internal swelling. I've about resigned myself to just being in pain, it doesn't seem to matter how little I do or how much - I still get THAT pain. I've been having issues trying to ice - it actually HURTS to ice on my right knee, that's why I attribute it to nerve regeneration. I just had to kick BOTH cuffs off ASAP because all of a sudden they were hurting so bad I couldn't stand it anymore. I've been basically elevating when I'm not up and about or on my bike - my back indent is permanent on my couch just about at this point. So, other than elevating, is there something else I can do that would have the same effect as icing??? I'm on Celebrex 200 mg twice daily, Tylenol 1000 mg four times daily, AND Demerol or dilaudid in the evening as needed (I cannot continue on these around the clock, cannot get the prescriptions and frankly think it's too much at this point anyway). I'm finding the bending I'm getting in the CPM and riding my bike feels SO good at the time! I get up, walk around, really concentrating on my gait and stride, trying to resume my normal posture. And you're right - I had braced myself for a loooooooong recovery - but, I have to admit now that I'm in it, it sure feels a lot longer than what I'd prepared for!!!

Tonight, I actually went to Whole Foods for the first time in 2.5 months. I pushed a little cart through the store, bought my yogurt and bread, then headed to Winn Dixie. Again, pushed my cart through, picked up some meats, dog biscuits, paper towels, then headed home. I carried everything in, put it all away, and have been icing and elevating for the last hour. Frankly, I don't think there's a difference in how my legs are feeling right now compared to how they've felt when I HAVEN'T done all that stuff. I've about made up my mind, the heck with it!! If I'm going to hurt not doing stuff AND hurt when I do things, I'll opt to go ahead and DO things!! I have noticed that after using the CPM, I have much, much freer movement for a good hour or so. That's why I went to the stores tonight - I'd just finished several hours on the CPM and was moving really well.

Geesh, I gotta get on with my life! I know there's a whole lot of recovery yet, I'm just in the quagmire of almost really being mobile and still having to guard myself (or, at least FEELING like I need to!!).
 
Hang in there Blue! You have come a long way. Hope your doc can help you get your pain under control. You have done better than me. I have been to the grocery store once since surgery and I used an electric cart. I'm afraid I will get in there and not be able to make it out and there is no place to sit and take a break. I guess I could pull out a few big bags of dog food and make my own seat! Hope tomorrow is better for you.
 
Hello, @Texan good to hear from you!! This was totally mind over matter tonight. I tend to get, shall we say, hard headed and this is an example, I am my own worst enemy. It sounds weird to say, but I actually had my plan of attack laid out for each store using the most direct route with least amount of travel to get what I needed. I don't think Whole Foods has the electric carts, but the one I went to was very small so no problem. The Winn Dixie is my normal store, and I know most of the folks in there - if I got "stranded", I would've been able to ask for help and they'd bring one of the electric carts if needed. I think the longest part of my trip was standing in the check out line - I just kept taking a couple steps back and forth, it's worse if I try standing in place.

How are you sleeping at night? Are you able to get good rest? I think that'd make a really big difference for me right now. I'm going to speak with my doc about it next week. Why is it I can lay here during the day, be comfortable enough, doze, but can't get cozy at night to save my soul?? I guess that's a question for the ages, huh?
 
I slept really great while taking hydrocodone. When I quit taking that, I took 5 mg. of melatonin. It didn't help. Next, I took one generic sleep aid each night. The first few days it worked great but then I was having trouble falling asleep. I have a history of not sleeping so I had a prescription of Lunesta. I went to my doctor today and he said it was fine to take until I am healed and can get back on a schedule. It is mild and I take it 2 hours before I want to go to bed. Not sleeping is the worst. Before surgery, I took 5 mg. of melatonin and it worked fine. Hope I can get back to that soon. I still sleep with my leg elevated. Sometimes I wake up and sleep on my side with a full body pillow.
 
@Texan several years ago I also used Lunesta and it worked really well for me. I think in the interim, I'll try the melatonin. I, too, sleep with my legs on pillows - during the night, I toss and turn and end up in every possible position with the pillows in a bazillion different arrangements.

After my shopping, CPM, and biking yesterday, today I get up and....feel GREAT! Right knee is a little stiffer than left, but that's gotten to be the norm. No awful pain last night, a couple of various stabs here and there but waaaaay better than previous night. I did take Demerol before going to bed, which I had the previous night as well. I've got to go with hubby and drop his car off for new brakes, but will then be back on the CPM and follow that with the bike. Maybe my "no guts, no glory" bravado of yesterday worked more in my favor than not - stay active, keep the dang knees moving - I dunno, but if it's working okay, I'll stick with it for the time being.
 
I am so glad to hear you feel better today. This is the darndest recovery. One day we feel almost normal and the next like we are starting over. I am learning to be happy for the good days when they come and accept the bad ones, because there will be bad ones! (As you well know.) My husband and I went for a walk yesterday. I am always asking him if I look normal when I walk. I felt like I was walking perfectly normal so I asked him how it looked. He said I still have a limp. I was crushed. I just knew I had my normal walk back. After that I watched my shadow and I could see the limp. Will have to talk to P/T about figuring out how to fix that. I hope you have a great day today with no pain!
 
Just saying hello and checking in. Had to cancel my opt on Thursday due to bad ice/snow storm so will begin Monday just before an appointment with my pcp. Good timing huh. Hope not in pain. I keep doing my exercises at home but no equipment to use. Get a good stretch on stairs. Pulling way back on pain meds. Use at night. Tylenol and aleve in the day. OS said OK to use sleep aids at night. Work pretty well but do turn and bend and push pillows too. Plan to do a practice drive tomorrow. Some of you are a bit ahead of me with driving and shopping. Not sure I could stand at a check out too long. Wonder how long that takes? Still remember how painful that was before Btkr! Well off to sleep soon. I agree this recovery is the longest I've ever had does test one's spirit.
 
Good morning, @newkneesNH , how'd YOU sleep last night? Believe it or not, I woke this morning around 0630, laid there taking a mental "inventory" - hmmmm, what's missing?? OH YEAH! I'm NOT jerking, twisting, rolling, flopping - I'm actually (dare I say) COMFORTABLE????!!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!! OMG, that felt MORE spectacular than I could imagine. So, I snuggled in for another hour or so basically in heaven :egypdance:Hubby had a business meeting this morning, he came in the room around 0720 hrs to get dressed, and we chatted back and forth - I stayed precisely where I was, just relishing the wonderful feeling of NOT hurting or feeling sore. He let our three dogs in - miniature schnauzer Stanley, fuzzy terrier mix Ramone, and chocolate lab Tia - they LOVE bed time :heehee: Stanley was rooting under the blankets, Ramone was rolling around just being cute, and Tia flopped next to me just happy to snuggle in for a few minutes. This is the first time they were let in with me since my original surgery, it's always been a very fun time.

Today, I'm doing laundry, and actually making a big batch of chocolate chip cookies (dough's been chilling since last night). I got a call yesterday the company is coming to pick up CPM on Monday. So, I figure, now's the time to do what I plan on doing without the machine - the stretches, exercises, and basic daily life activities. Last night we went out to a store for a bit, it was so great just getting OUT with hubby for a little bit. They had benches and all, I did sit for a few minutes about half way through our trip. Came home and watched a movie, made popcorn, and just really enjoyed the evening. We also decided to have an "out" night at least once a week - just that short time last night was great! AND - I actually wore REGULAR shorts yesterday afternoon, not my standard stretch yoga pants! Then, when we were out, I had dressed up with nice white leggings - holy moly, being in something other than just stretchy-cotton-comfy-yoga-tee shirt was MORE fabulous than I thought it'd be.

My big plan for NEXT week? I'm going to start going back to the gym with hubby! There's a lot there I CAN do, I will not do anything that hurts me. BUT - I've lost a lot of strength and endurance in my legs, I can so feel it. And, gently riding a bike or using an elliptical should be fine. Also, the thigh exercise machines will feel great. AND - bonus - BEING OUT WITH THE REST OF HUMANITY!!! That alone is about priceless right now!! Before totally disintegrating the last couple of months prior to surgery, we went every day except Sunday. I did tons of cardio and free weights, and really felt great over all. So, time to get back to regular life - slowly and cautiously for sure. Hubby was shocked when I told him, but it's just time to get on with it already.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom