MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, got up around 0830 hrs - that's after tossing, flipping, turning since about 0130 hrs. I left the TED hose on during the night, and I think that's part of it - they just are NOT the most comfortable things. But, faced with waking up really swollen, I guess they're the lesser of two evils. I'm asking the doc tomorrow if I should still be wearing them (I've kept them on all day and overnight since the MUA's).

I elevated for an hour or so, then started the CPM on right knee for two hours - up to 115 now!! Switched, put ice cuff on right knee and left into CPM, reached 115 there, too :egypdance: The CPM feels pretty good, for me it's just a pain because I'm just really tired of laying here. I know I can't, but I sure wish I could fast forward a couple of months.

Emotionally, not a great day today. Weepy because of the increase in pain meds again and just being worn out. I'm getting frustrated with the whole recovery business, thought I know I can't rush anything. I'm a very active, very independent person and though I prepared myself for the long recovery, it's far different being smack in the middle of it <sigh...>
 
Sorry you've had a down day Blue :-( I think this recovery is all much harder on those of us 'type A' people as it's a TOTAL loss of control or ability to just move things along as we'd wish. It will get better and although you may have had to restart your clock with your MUA, looks how great your ROM is!!! Hopefully you'll be able to sleep better tonight (I haven't been able to sleep in 2 days). ((hugs))
 
Although you have been through this a little longer than me, I know exactly how you feel. I was supposed to have my other knee done in June, but emotionally, I don't know if I will be ready by then. This has been an emotional roller coaster! Congratulations on your ROM! I wish mine was that good.
 
Oh, @Texan see? I think THAT'S what my problem is right now - emotionally, I'm just at the point of being D-O-N-E with this. It makes me very frustrated, I've been getting very depressed this week, too. Hubby actually asked me yesterday if I wanted to go on a cruise NEXT WEEK :yikes: I'm like, NO, are you crazy?? Do you really want our memories of our first cruise being of me in a freakin' wheelchair?? I wouldn't be able to do hardly anything except sit there and eat - NOT my idea of a fun cruise! So then, of course, I was sad and more frustrated all day thinking of everything I couldn't do :gaah:

I'm really having to give myself mental pep talks these last couple days, this is just really wearing on me right now. Emotional roller coaster definitely describes this journey well. And, for heaven's sake, if you're not emotionally ready in June for #2, I'd definitely postpone the surgery! This is difficult enough when you're ready for it!

@DogLoverx3 thanks for offering your encouragement :friends:I know I'm not back at the beginning healing-wise, but feel like my activity and ROM are several weeks behind where I'm at calendar wise. I'm very curious what OS will say tomorrow as well. I'm staying up a bit later in hopes that I'll be more tired and sleep longer when I do lay down. I hope you're able to sleep tonight as well!
 
I think switching to Demerol instead of dilaudid made a difference last night. I slept from about midnight until almost five o'clock, the longest stretch in a long time but also the most peaceful. After waking, I was able to rearrange myself and fell back asleep until seven thirty or so, too. When I was getting ready to get up, I was plotting my schedule to allow a bath, washing and fixing hair, CPM, and icing before doc's appointment at one o'clock. It never ceases to amaze me how much longer things take right now! I barely finished everything and arrived smack on the appointment time.

It was the PA that seen me today, which was perfectly fine. I told her I'm up to 115 on CPM and she was truly shocked - she thought that was excellent. On my own, I'm about a 90, right knee extension is still about a 5, but that's seems to be improving slowly as things go forward. We talked about outpatient PT, I told her what Attila did on Saturday and she was thoroughly aghast. We decided I'd continue doing everything I am at home, no outpatient PT at this time, then follow up with doc again on the 25th. She said it's obvious I'm working at home, so we can just go with that for the time being. She was impressed, too, with me being able to actually pedal the bike now but cautioned NOT to over do. We also discussed pain meds, I have about 15 or so Demerol and about 8 dilaudid left. I didn't request another prescription and plan on using what I have, then take another look at everything. If Tylenol works fine, then I won't get more narcotic pain meds. She said just let them know if/when I needed any and they'd write the prescription. She also confirmed I'm still icing and elevating. All in all, they're pleased with my progress since MUA (I seen pictures of the procedure today, can't WAIT till I can voluntarily bend my knees like that!!) She just said to keep doing what I'm doing :)
 
Awesome news!!! So glad you are doing so well!!!! :):)
 
Glad your appointment went well. Good luck with cutting down on the pain meds. It does get depressing still needing the meds and sounds so good not to use them.

I understand your ups and downs with the recovery process. It is a long process plus the shock our bodies went thru with the surgery it is quite understandable why we have so many ups and downs. You are doing great, keep up the good work.
 
Sounds like you are progressing great. It's such an up and down thing, every day. I will feel so positive one day, and burst into tears the next. Don't get discouraged, and remind yourself how great you have done.
I am using the bike at phys. therapy, and it is really helping with my quad strength. Thinking about getting one at home.
You are an inspiration. Keep up the good work.
Fawkes (Sue)
 
When I used the CPM after my surgery to remove scar tissue, and I used the CPM for 8 hours each day. I was thrilled that after having a ROM for about 75-80 for a very long time that in almost no time at all I was using the CPM at 120 degrees. Then when I started outpatient Physical Therapy they (and I mean my beloved Dr. Luu who has looked after me for 3 years now) burst my bubble and told me that the 100/110/115/120 achieved on the CPM did not really equate to me actually having that ROM. It was all dependent on the angle in which my leg was placed in the CPM, sitting or laying or slouching, etc. I actually thought I had a ROM of 120 because the CPM said 120 and I was very disappointed to find out that maybe I was at 105 to 112 at best. Maybe @Orthodoc can shed some light on this. So although I was happy to see the reading go from 90 to 120, I was disappointed that the reading on the CPM did not equate to my actual ROM.

I am sorry Blue that you've been down today. I felt down when I was at Physical Therapy yesterday. Just wondering if I'd ever really bend my knee again like I want too. Of course Dr. Luu tells me a little gain each week is great and I am either maintaining and or not going backwards. I know he is right, but it does get very old. I've been doing this for so long now, Physical Therapy since November of 2010. About 4:30 a.m. I got up and took a Tramadol. I've not had any pain medication for quite sometime now, but just like you I could not get comfortable last night. Just when we think that we are well on our way, our knees give us a reminder that we are still on their schedule.
 
Aw, Bonnie, @RunA42K you've had a long, difficult road to get where you're at now. I remember reading through your thread and thinking what a strong, courageous, driven woman you are. Frankly, your determination and strength helped me set my mind to the task at hand and try just that little bit harder when I feel like doing nothing other than sit hear and bawl. My goodness, girl, you've done great! It's easy for me to tell you to try not being impatient - that just wouldn't help, though, would it? I know with absolute certainty that you WILL get your bend exactly where you want it, just a little bit later than you'd like, but you'll definitely achieve it. :flwrysmile:

It's funny, the CPM. I know physically I cannot bend my knees to 115 right now - I'm doing about 90 - 95 on my own. But, the OS and PT sure seem impressed with the numbers. So, I'll keep using it - afterwards my knees really feel good - perhaps when I go back in a couple weeks I can tell them I'm 120 or 130 on the silly thing :ok:

@suzzee2000 , @Fawkes , and @traveler1 Thank you!! I know the pain meds have a great affect on me - trouble sleeping, moodiness, depression, etc. I'm hoping that my plan to reduce and eliminate them will work. If so, I should be off them entirely by the time I go back to the docs on the 25th. I surprised myself with actually riding my bike first this morning, then doing the icing and CPM. Yes, knees were stiff, but once I pedaled a couple times they loosened right up.

Hubby and I are talking about maybe going out to a movie tomorrow night. We'll see how the day goes, but I'm already REALLY looking forward to it!!
 
Aw, Bonnie, @RunA42K you've had a long, difficult road to get where you're at now. I remember reading through your thread and thinking what a strong, courageous, driven woman you are. Frankly, your determination and strength helped me set my mind to the task at hand and try just that little bit harder when I feel like doing nothing other than sit hear and bawl. My goodness, girl, you've done great! It's easy for me to tell you to try not being impatient - that just wouldn't help, though, would it? I know with absolute certainty that you WILL get your bend exactly where you want it, just a little bit later than you'd like, but you'll definitely achieve it. :flwrysmile:

Thank you so much Blue for the kind words. I read this just before I fell asleep last night and I know that it made me rest easier. We all need some encouragement from time to time and I was in need of some. Thank you again!
 
I went to the movies last weekend. I took my walker and a big pillow. Sat on the front row with my walker in front of me with the pillow on top of it so I could prop my leg up. The entire front row was full of people with walkers. I squirmed some during the movie but I was so happy to be out of the house that it didn't matter.
Get a big popcorn and enjoy your movie!
 
Thanks, @Texan that's a great idea! We're still talking about it, hubby just went to take an OMN (old mans nap :heehee:). I've been icing, elevating, and CPMing since 0930 hrs. Hubby hired a maid to come this morning, she's been dusting, vacuuming, and wiping her little heart out. GOSH it's great looking around and NOT seeing a layer of dust or little doggie hair balls on the carpet, and go into sparkling clean bathrooms. I went around this morning putting little odds and ends away, that dang near wiped me out - no way I could do all the stuff she's doing for a while.

@RunA42K Bonnie, you're absolutely welcome! I've been so thankful to have found this forum. I know I would've been a wreck had I not gotten the support and encouragement from everyone here. I think it holds true regardless of where you're at within your recovery - you still need a good, solid "At a Girl!" every now and again :SUNsmile:

<yawnnnnnnn....> I'll tell you, it sure knocks a person out laying down all morning hooked up to ice cuffs and CPM, I may take a nap myself after maid finishes :sleep:
 
It was all dependent on the angle in which my leg was placed in the CPM, sitting or laying or slouching, etc.


Yes, this is mostly true... There are several factors that can change the correlation of the "CPM number" and actual ROM. Its important as well remember that the CPM use is not required by all doctors, and the literature shows only benefits for short-term ROM (not long term ROM).

Orthodoc
 
well, it would appear all of the time on the CPM in addition to just being up and about may be a bit much. I feel like I'm getting tendonitis or something in my right knee. The pain is on the inside of the leg, directly on the side of the knee and the pain kind of wraps around back. It feels swollen in the back as well, not a surprise. I've tried icing, but ice on that knee actually HURTS, it's just too much. I'm also trying to keep it elevated. Any other suggestions, other than taking a kneecation for a while? I'm taking my pain meds, and it still hurts! I also put the TED hose back on thinking the compression may help as well.
 
Blue, when I was about 8 weeks post op with my first TKR, I was doing better and just taking a rare pain pill mostly at night. Then bam!!! I got bad tendinitis in the exact same spot you are describing. It was terrible, I could barley walk on it and started taking every 4 hours pain pills again. It took about one month to clear up with patches of Dexamethosone applied to that side of my knee.
 
Blue, having a maid sounds so nice. I am so jealous. Hubby has been doing our cleaning. I am grateful that he I'd doing it but it just doesn't shine like when I do it. Hope you knees are feeling better. maybe cutting back a little on the cpm will ease the pain a little. Hope you
 
Hi Blue! Wow such a lot has gone on in your recovery since I left you on page 14! You are amazing, determined and laser focused! Don't forget it's OK to relax and take a breath. :flwrysmile:When I had my THR, I had my share of up and down days. Even though I have read, watched, researched what you have gone through, I can not imagine your journey. You are an inspiration and I hope that by 8 weeks I can get into the tub in some fashion :). I am happy to hear that your ROM is progressing and that you're doing so well. Have a good sleep!
 
I would cut right back or stop the CPM and just relax for a day or two and maybe try some mild moist heat on the area that hurts when you ice it. ... and don't worry about losing your hard-earned flexion; just do some gentle pain-free exercises a few times a day, like the rest of us without CPM machines :wink:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom