MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cleaning crew? Wow! Wish we had these over here. I'd give my eye teeth to have someone come in and clean my oven!

Now you really have got to take yourself in hand and do better than this! You are 8 weeks post-op and 1 week post MUA. BE SENSIBLE! :no-fin:

You need to read these again
The BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”

Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
@Josephine how right you are! It's too easy to fall into the trap of feeling great and trying too much, being up and about too long - I have to constantly check myself (sometimes I'm late in realizing, though). It can be a vicious cycle - you feel great so you attempt something typical, then you have more swelling/tightness/pain so you have to back off. I'm thrilled to have the mobility and ROM this week. I need to constantly keep in mind, as you say, it's ONE week since the MUA's, and only eight weeks since the original surgery. I'm just not able to do near as much now as I'd like, but if I keep pushing it, I'll certainly set myself back (yes, I've done that).

My next scheduled PT is tomorrow. Attila the Hun really hurt me yesterday - it happened so quick, it caught me off guard and I'm totally paying for it since. My left extension is about a 3, not bad, the right is worse. I was sitting on the table, my legs straight out in front of me. She was massaging the knee cap, then cupped her hands around it, then heaved her whole body weight on top - OMG :yikes: I literally almost passed out, started bawling, screamed at her "ENOUGH", and shoved her off of me. That ended the PT session. I'd previously had the men PT's and they're far gentler than the women at this office. I've debated cancelling for tomorrow, keeping up with my icing, elevating, CPM, recumbent bike, walking, stretches - would that be enough to retain the ROM that I've gained and build more?? I see my OS on Friday, and don't want to do anything to set myself back and need to continue to move forward. My knees are quite swollen today, front AND back - certainly a combination of PT and the small cleaning spree from last night :groan:All I've done today is ice, elevate, take a bath, and....icing and elevating more.

Icing feels sooooooo good sometimes, and this is one of those times, ahhhhhhhhhhhh :yes:
 
:yikes::hairpulling::shocked:

I've debated cancelling for tomorrow, keeping up with my icing, elevating, CPM, recumbent bike, walking, stretches - would that be enough to retain the ROM that I've gained and build more??

Absolutely! ..... Of course going to or deferring PT is really a personal decision, but I can't see any downside to following the BoneSmart way; there's plenty of exercises you can follow from the Library in addition to what you're doing to keep on making improvements And I wouldn't think an appointment with your OS should have any relevance to your decision, either way.:whistle:
Cheers, Al
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, cancel! You've no need to worry about no PT/exercises impeding your ROM, quite the opposite!
 
@Josephine and @saltyal thank you! I think I will cancel tomorrow, focus on doing what I need to at home based on how my knees are. I'm just so afraid my knees will "lock" back up!! One MUA is enough, I sure don't want to go through THAT again!

Hubby's grilling steaks tonight and putting some veggies in the microwave to have with. Nice easy, quick supper then STEP DAUGHTER will straighten kitchen up :angel:
 
I'm just so afraid my knees will "lock" back up!!

Not going to happen!... Those adhesions are behind you now, they're history and they're not coming back... If you keep up with a reasonable home exercise plan that includes some occasional pushing to discomfort without real pain, you'll be following the UK model to recovery, which has proven to be at least as effective as the NA path. :)
 
@saltyal thank you again! Now that I'm able to actually ride my bike, the activity feels wonderful on the muscles and knees. I'll definitely do that as well as the other exercises and stretches recommended here - I just won't hurt myself in the process. I do need to work on the extension, more so on the right than the left. I'll do the big can of baked beans or something similar I think.

Is it also recommended to massage the knee caps and make sure they move freely? I use scar gel now several times daily and can do the massaging then.
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker I've just been reading your posts, you are one brave girl, you really are!!! I laughed out loud at your pet name for your PT "Attila the Hun" ha ha love it! Think you are right about cancelling PT tomorrow x x x x
 
I use scar gel now several times daily and can do the massaging then.
Massage post THR
Is it also recommended to massage the knee caps and make sure they move freely?
no!
I do need to work on the extension,
No you don't. The best 'exercise' for extension is walking - properly.

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
 
Ahhh, thanks, Josephine! I like using the scar gel, it feels very nice on my dry skin and the gentle rubbing feels good on my knees. I take that opportunity to gently rub down my calves and thighs as well.

I've really concentrating on HOW I'm walking when I'm up and about. I noticed early on that I tended to hold my right leg more stiff than the left (without cause, by the way), so now consciously focus on bending my knees and the actual leg movement. I always think of how my foot hits, and try picturing my gait as I'm moving around. I do have a ways to go, no doubt, but it's certainly better than a few weeks ago. I'll continue with this and really try to duplicate the above form and posture. For me, the cane has helped my form greatly - I tend to lean too much on the walker, but still need some assistance when up and around. With the cane, I walk in a more natural gait and certainly stand straighter.

@Nana moon 27 Thank you! I don't know about brave, but I sure try forging ahead as best I can :SUNsmile: Yep, cancelling PT is definitely the right thing. I'm elevating now, will be icing again shortly. Ah, such is my relaxing Sunday evening :wink:
 
Up since about five, standard tossing and turning. Gave up and got out of bed at five thirty, eesh. Made a coffee and elevated until about seven. Got right leg into CPM and slowly incremented up. I ended the first session at 110!! Got up, walked around a bit, it felt great! Have right leg with ice on front and back, elevated. Left is now in CPM (it was elevated the whole time the right was in), and again, working up slowly.

I called and cancelled the PT session this morning, declining to schedule anything further right now. After a couple hours with left leg in CPM, I'll ice that one down, then do a short session on the bike (like, five to ten minutes maximum). I think it'd be fabulous to actually be able to sleep tonight after the gentle activity of today rather than PT as I did each day last week.

OH!! Big accomplishment of last night? I can get IN and OUT of bath all by myself now! Slowly and carefully, but totally independent now :egypdance:Hmmm, I think I'll add a nice hot soak with Epsom salts to my agenda for today :)
 
Glad you're doing so well!! Absolutely amazing! I'm so happy for you! Totally impressed about the bath thing too! I'm still afraid to try that as the thought of being found naked and helpless by neighbors 2 weeks from now isn't appealing (to me or to them, I'm sure) :heehee: Glad you cancelled PT. I'm a BIG FAN of PT as they hold me accountable and I'm always scared I'm going to lose what I've gained, but I've taken 'breaks' before from PT and it's actually helped with the swelling and ROM as I'm being 'nicer' to my knee. Keep up the great work!!
 
Blue, just wanted you to know you have been an inspiration to me! I'm having all kinds of problems with my knee/leg swelling up and I'm "stuck" at about 85 degrees (on a good day.) I'm afraid that an MUA is in my future. I'm stiff very afraid of it because of all the normal reasons. I'm also afraid that my swelling will get out of control and NEVER come back down again. Josephine tells me to wait much longer than this. :) But you had such good results and I'm glad for you! I am retiring in two weeks from my job so maybe I can give my new knee the attention it deserves. I'm hoping your progress continues to get better and better! Beth
 
Hi, @beth1954, I was just reading your thread this morning!! I'm one of "those" people that seems to have all the weird medical "stuff". So, before surgery when I was reading and learning, I of course read about MUA's. At the time, I distinctly recall thinking, "you watch, I'll end up needing THAT" - and, lo and behold, here we are <sigh...>

I had awful swelling and pain before the MUA's - I knew I'd have swelling and pain afterwards BUT of a different type and from a different source. I couldn't be up and about for more than a few minutes without the swelling really taking off. Icing, elevating, and using my knee sleeves only delayed the swelling - once done with those treatments, the swelling just came right back. I couldn't do the exercises or stretches, really couldn't function in the long run with how I was. I didn't fight getting the MUA's because I simply couldn't bend, was in constant pain, and couldn't tolerate the swelling and being on my backside all the time any longer. The pain afterwards was muscle pain in my thighs, like from over exercising NOT deep bone pain. The swelling is well under control now (I've been wearing TED hose since), and once I've iced and elevated, it stays down. I'm glad I did NOT wait because it would've given my adhesions a longer period to really settle in, and I wouldn't have made any progress at all in trying to recover from my surgery. It's an individual decision for sure, just as each recovery is individual and unique. So far, I'm SO pleased with my results!! I do live with the fear of waking up and being "stuck" again, no doubt. But just the freedom to be up and about, to bend when walking, and knowing it'll just get better and better is something I won't take for granted.
 
Blue glad to read you are doing well. Sorry to hear about your horrible pt session. I think I would have really screamed at her for doing that. I can't figure out what some of these therapist are thinking. Keep up the good work and progress. I know what you mean abt feeling better and overdoing. It is just so hard to sit and watch everyone else do things for you.
 
Well, reached 110 ROM on the CPM for my left knee - it was tighter than the right for sure. Afterwards, it was amazing how much freer I could move, almost with a natural gait. I start quite low, working my way up in 5 or 10 degree increments.

0700 hrs - start right knee on CPM, elevating left
1000 hrs - reach 110 on right knee
1015 hrs - start left knee on CPM, ice and elevate right
1230 hrs - reach 110 on left knee
1240 hrs - ice and elevate left knee
1430 hrs - finish icing and elevating, time for a hot soak with Epsom salts!

after bath, I elevated some more, took about an hours nap, had some supper, then rode the bike for about ten minutes. Rounded out the evening with ....ICING for another hour or so. Knees feel pretty good, a lot of the pain from the bad PT is gone, hopefully I'll be able to sleep better tonight :beg:
 
Sounds like a better day for you. Have been reading your threads to catch up on your MUA. You are working hard and know your limits well. I cancelled pt today and was glad. Had a day of healing which my knees were trying to tell me. Paid off. In bed now less pain and sleepy. Doctor said when I finish celebrex to switch to Alive which I like. Next pt is wed so tomorrow I will exercise alone without pushing. Sweet dreams and thank you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom