Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
TWO huge surprises at PT:

1. I CAN ACTUALLY PEDAL THE BIKE!!! I was on it, rocking, and just thought, "it sure FEELS like I should be able to get that dang pedal around!". I pushed a little harder (thigh muscle was protesting for sure!!), and voila'! Around it went - slowly, but it went. I pedaled slow and steady for about five minutes :bicycle1:, my PT was totally impressed. He'd spent the first fifteen minutes or so massaging and loosening me up. Granted, the seat was way back, and I was stretching, but it worked :angel:

2. THE BUILDING CAUGHT ON FIRE!!! Yep, you read right. Picture it - I'm kicked back after PT, have TENS unit and ice on both knees, thoroughly pleased with myself. My PT comes over with a helper, quickly shutting everything off and told me, building is on fire, we've got to evacuate immediately! :yikes: I said, "so, in the event of fire do NOT use elevator, use stairs?" (we're on the second floor). He says yup, and I told him I hadn't DONE stairs yet. So, not only did I succeed with the bike today, I also learned how to come down two flights of stairs QUICKLY, with a line of people behind me!

Whew, quite the thrilling day, I just had a bite of lunch, will ice more, and I think a nap is in order. Wow.
 
Now your thread is starting to remind me of mine, Blue, complete with train wrecks. Wonder if this could be the way to get folks over any stair phobia they might have? (I'm sorry, sir, but if you dont get your fanny moving down the steps your fanny will be on fire.) For sure a motivator.

Being able to pedal is the greatest, I LOVED using the bike at PT to warm up before doing the hard stuff. At home I used my ancient mother's little 20 buck pedaling contraption and it really helped on days when the knee was stiff and sore. Go get 'em!
 
Blue, I think I'm going to call you Lucy Ricardo!!! The building caught on fire? Ohmygoodness!

What a way to intro stairs into your PT regimen. Shaking my head :D
 
Should I say...:yikes::yikes: Or good job at P.T ????? :heehee:
Congratulations on the :bicycle1: & the stairs....:yahoo::yes!:
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
What an eventful day!
 
Wow, exciting day! Nothing like getting a jump start on the stairs. Fantastic that you CAN pedal the bike now!!! Congratulations!!!
 
hee hee, I happened to think last night....

What does that say about the focus on PT when I choose to highlight that first INSTEAD of the building being on fire??!! Eesh, time to let go a bit :blush:

In CPM now loosening up, have PT again this morning 1100 hrs. Wow, sometimes it catches me off guard just how long it takes to actually get ready to go somewhere. I rode my home bike last night too, hubby adjusted the seat back another notch and I could do full rotations. He kept commenting how much better my motion is since my "bendy thingy" on Monday :heehee:

Can hardly wait to see what's in store at PT today. I have FUP with OS next Friday. Planning on going to bowling alley tonight to support the team, too. I'm thinking this week of using my spiffy new cane instead of the walker - I feel A LOT more sure of myself and steadier on my feet. Amazing what actually being able to bend and move can do for a gal!
 
It was funny, when I insisted to PT that I was ready to quit using the walker, they scowled and hedged, and made me walk between the parallel bars, and scowled some more, then told me grudgingly that I could use the cane indoors but to keep using the walker outdoors--and actually gave me a dirty look when I walked in with the cane next session!

I said, what, you expected me to bring the walker for the three steps from the house to the car and the three steps from the car to PT??? Then within a few days I started "forgetting" my cane as I moved from one exercise station to the next--it amused me no end to see them grab my cane and follow me around with it.

So glad that 'the bendy thingy' is helping.
 
@jeano I chuckle each time the PT moves my walker from bike to table, to other side of table, to room, hee hee. I have the CUTEST little denim bag on the front that has this beautiful water color painting of blue birds - all bright colors. It's just precious seeing these big guys carting it all over :rotfl: It was even funnier when I still had the blue tennis balls on it, HA!

Today went well, got to 100 pretty easily. It's strange the knees can feel so swollen, but bend so easily with little assistance. My thighs aren't near as sore today as yesterday, but I do have some bruising coming up now (not a lot). Last night was actually pretty rough, couldn't get very comfortable and stay that way for any length of time. I'm going to soak in a nice hot tub with Epsom salts maybe after bowling tonight - that'd feel wonderful! Hubby got home last night, so he's here to assist with the loading and unloading still.

I'm noticing it feels like I'm almost back at the beginning in regards to the energy drain. Each day after PT, I come home, ice/elevate and take a couple hour nap. And, boy, is it a deep sleep! I'm rolling with it, obviously it's what my body needs, it just feels like I'm on a split shift or something - sleep a few hours, then up to PT, then sleep a couple hours, then up and CPM/ice/elevate/bike - eesh.
 
Bleh, miserable night. Rolling, repositioning, elevating, NOT elevating. I think my new strategy is going to be just to get up, ice and CPM regardless of the time. I just felt so tight and kinked up, though thigh muscles are calming down nicely. I haven't wanted to start the habit of getting up in the middle of the night, but just can't do another night like last night.

Got home from bowling and soaked a good half hour in hot tub with Epsom salts. Hubby helped me in BUT I can now get out all by myself!! The soaking felt sooooo good!

Been icing for two hours, CPM on right topped out at 97 and CPM on left currently at 95!! Boy, is it great seeing those numbers instead of 60, 65 - and struggling to achieve those! I will be nice and limbered up for PT this morning, I think that's important.
 
Glad to read your great reports and that you are happy with the mua. I am scheduled for one next Thursday and am quite nervous.
 
Hi Blue, I've been following your journey. Sorry you had such a bad night. I too was up all night. I had my first out patient P.T. And boy they worked hard. Felt good when I came home, but awful night. Legs trembled all night. iced and elevated, nothing helped.
My Rom is good, 116 and 110. I was pleased until last night. this 4th week has been rough, physically and emotionally. Here's hoping we are heading toward the light. I also have not wanted to be up at night, but I am doing whatever works,wandering the house, crying. At least I am not waking anyone.
Hang in there. And know there are others up at night, saying a prayer for you.
Take care, Fawkes (Sue)
 
@Fawkes , Sue, thank you :friends:Sometimes it helps to know there's someone else out there going through the exact same thing THANK YOU!! I started taking magnesium and potassium supplements as well, they're supposed to help the muscles. I just feel totally spent after PT!! Not hurting, but I sure can tell the muscles have been on vacation for a while. I don't want to wake the household, but my plan for tonight is to get outta bed and come out to the living room if need be.

@traveler1 I was afraid of my MUA's, but mainly because I didn't know what to expect. And, let's face it, having both done and not knowing if I'd be able to walk or take care of myself since hubby needed to be gone is pretty daunting. After the MUA's, my knees felt GREAT, my thigh muscles were sore as heck though! I did my bending and all, but stayed off my feet as much as possible the day after - it just hurt trying to get up and down. Each day has gotten a lot better, and today there's basically minimal discomfort in the muscles. I think you'll be really surprised with the immediate improvement and how well you do afterwards. AND - make darn sure they have you on pain meds when you wake up!! THAT'S when I was literally in agony, so don't let them brush you off - get that plan firmly in place before going to the OR. Good luck, it won't be near as bad as you're worried about.
 
Blue thanks. Reading your progress helped me make the decision to go ahead. I spoke to the os today abt pain and he said we will definitely deal with pain immediately after the surgery. When we were discussing the procedure I told him I saw some video where the surgeon pushed the knee hard to break the adhesions and he laughed and said he does it gentle and not to worry about it.
 
Hi Blue,
So happy to read about your progress! Glad you were able to manage the stairs! Tonight will be my first night to go to bed without a pain pill. Took 2 extra strength Tylenol. I might be a member of the "stay up all night" club. Hope you are able to rest and get a good nights sleep.
 
@traveler1 Now, THAT makes me very happy to hear - my story has helped someone through their recovery, thank you so much! That's excellent you and your doc have already discussed the pain management needed!! I'm still shocked each and every day how much of a difference the MUA's have made - immediate improvement and forward progress!! I just got up, so technically it's a new day so I'll say last night before bed, I COMFORTABLY hit 100 for each on the CPM and kept it there for several minutes :egypdance:Last week, there was utterly NO way I could've even given doing that an honest thought. The pain I was having is gone - the awful feeling of my knees feeling like they were going to burst if I was up for more than a couple of minutes, the nasty pain I'd kept behind both knees, the burning pain when walking. Given the choice again, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to have the procedure done. I'm very confident I will be able to continue moving forward with my recovery, regaining my full ROM and daily activities. Last week, I was only wishing I could say that!!

@Texan I'm finding Tylenol really works well for me with the stiffness and pain, it's the last drug I take before heading to bed, too. Only since the MUA's have I added the dilaudid at bedtime if I feel really sore. My doc told me on Monday, TAKE THEM, that's why I'm giving them to you! And, hubby hasn't commented at all since Monday on me taking the pain meds this week, either. I guess since I'm here and responding, that means I'm now a member of the "up all night club" :zzz:I'm elevating, will spend some brain dead time on craigslist (that's always good to lull me off for a bit), maybe watch a little TV - I've been making a point to record some of the cheesy movies when they run during the day. Hopefully, this is just a little blip for a couple of nights, I far prefer getting all snuggled in my bed and staying there!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
We're just all so glad to hear that your MUA's have been successful and that you are feeling so hopeful! Be careful not to over do.

Take care and keep us posted. We care!
 
@bottomshollow While mentally tempting to over do right now, physically I'm kept in check :heehee: I see my OS for FUP on Friday, and would love to be at 120 on the CPM by then. BUT - in reality, I just don't think THAT will happen. While being able to accomplish such lovely bend on the CPM and with the assistance of PT, I still don't move that freely on my own. I'm just afraid of not moving enough and having the scar tissue return with a vengeance :hairpulling:

This evening, my wonderful step daughter made supper :dancy:I went out to make a cup of tea, and yep, ended up straightening the kitchen up. Scrubbed the sinks, wiped the counters down, put the food away. All told, probably up on my feet a good half hour and it was a bit much. So, reality checks definitely occur - just 'cause I had the MUA's doesn't mean I can be up and about all willy nilly :heehee: Hubby's pushing me to have a cleaning crew come in, so I'll get that scheduled. Obviously, it's still a bit much for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom