MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning!! I stayed on the CPM machine until about one thirty, then woke at around three to realize my "ice" machine was no longer ice so I removed the cuffs. I definitely have muscle soreness in my thighs, and some swelling, but feel WAY better than I have for weeks. I have free movement, the bursting feeling in my knees when standing/sitting is GONE, and the pain I'd kept behind my knees is gone as well! I don't feel like I need the dilaudid, though I'll stay on it at least today and tomorrow since I have PT. I slept pretty well on the sectional, too. Had no issue being comfy even with the CPM and ice machine :yay:

Hubby left early, I was just up strolling around from room to room while he was getting ready - it felt AWESOME. What a huge difference. I do feel a bit unsteady, like the muscles are just going to cave in any minute. I'm sure that'll work it's way out in short order, but I keep the walker close just in case.

Okay, I'm going to leisurely stroll to the kitchen and make a cup of coffee, stand there without counting the seconds until it's done, then stroll back into the living room to elevate - maybe doze a bit. I was concerned today would be a lot rougher than yesterday, but it sure doesn't appear to be. I'll ice and use CPM for a bit before going to PT, too. Get loosened up on my own :snork:
 
Hi Blue,

So glad to see your post and that you are doing so well. I am up early too...took off work to take my 78yr old Mom and her cousins to Daytona Beach today. They all have better knees than I do. Have a great day!
 
Morning honey! Glad you are doing well....ATTITUDE is everything. YOU'VE got this!! Off to get the stitches out and find out how I am really doing....:dancy:
 
Great news, Blue! As always be careful to not overdo while also being careful to move enough to keep them adhesions at bay--I have no experience whatsoever nursing those who have adhesion post ortho surgery but have dealt with some patients with other surgical adhesions--they are a real bear for those unfortunate enough to develop them.

As regards nurse #1--unfortunately there are in the nursing profession, as everywhere, those who cannot think outside the box even for a minute--that nurse UNDOUBTEDLY was thinking that getting vital signs first was a priority over giving you pain relief(and indeed there may have been a protocol in place, a perfectly legitimate protocol designed to ensure that a person with low vitals not get overmedicated) and she probably fully intended to get your drugs for you the INSTANT you "calmed down" and just couldnt get herself off that track--missing the whole dang forest due to one tree. (I'm sure your vital signs were plenty elevated if you were sobbing but amazingly enough that nurse couldnt figure it out!--I'd bet she was either real young/inexperienced, or old/rigid/set in her ways--in any event, unable to be flexible in the face of a real pain emergency.) Speaking, not necessarily with pride, as a nurse who has been there and done that, it is really easy to have conflicting wishes or institutional issues come between patient and nurse and turn into a power struggle where NOBODY wins.

I remember one of my PTs telling me that he much preferred working with the very old (like in their 90s!) post TKR because they healed slowly but beautifully and often had better ROM when all was said and done than younger patients--I wonder if healing rates has much (or anything) to do with adhesions?
 
What wonderful new! I was just getting depressed and crying this morning. Had bilateral done 1/13, 6 weeks yesterday. In a great deal of pain, I can maybe make it to 90. My check up with my doc is in 3 days. I was so afraid he was going to want to do the MUA. Now after reading what you did, I'm not so afraid. So glad it went so well for you.
 
So glad to hear everything went well, except for the horrid nurse and pain. It will be no time at all before you are feeling well again. Good luck
 
Glad to hear everything went well except for the nurse you had to fire. You stood up for yourself and got what you needed. It sounds like everything is going well again. Good news.
 
Well, results of first post-MUA PT? Right knee 98 bend with 5 extension, Left knee 100 bend and about a 1 extension!! :happydance::yay:And, that's with some obvious swelling AND the really sore muscle pain. I can't wait until next week about this time, I should well be over 100 and feeling great. My PT was really, really happy I had the MUA, he said I was so tight before he just couldn't hardly do anything for me without pain. He said today just make sure to keep them moving, gently, to prevent further adhesions. Right now I'm icing, I just took a pain pill, I'll be back on the CPM in the next hour or so (I put the TED hose back on, too).

I have PT every day through Saturday, but frankly I don't consider it "real" PT. Today he checked my measurements, had me on the bike for about seven minutes, then massaging and bending each knee, finishing with working on the extension of each. Nothing forced or painful - uncomfortable, yes, but not painful. I was amazed I could sit on the table, let my legs hang, and they DID - wow, I was beginning to think I'd never see that again! I'm sure in the next couple of days he'll up the actual exercise part, but right now what he's doing is spot on. :dancy:
 
Glad the MUA is looking to be a success. I'm so happy for you.
 
I knew it ! I knew it !. I knew you were gonna really be excited about the results. Im happy for you as obviously others are. You have quite a support team . I know its early on but I think I speak for quite a bit of newbies! 1) what created the adhesions in your opinion ? 2) What can us newbies do to prevent adhesions / scar tissue. I did read the article on it but certainly would like to hear from your perspective. I love my CPM and have it for 7 more days. I went from 60 to 65 to 70 to 75 to 80. its tough and im early on. Any imput would help me and im sure others. Again congratulations on the courage and you bilaterals inspire alot of us ! God bless . The Iceman
 
@icep707 Thanks, Iceman!! Right now I don't know if I'm more happy or relieved! I'm just thrilled the MUA outcome appears positive and substantial :egypdance: I have a lot of allergies to medicines and couldn't take anti-inflammatories after the surgery. I had a lot of swelling (of course), I was icing and elevating, keeping off my feet as much as possible. I never exceeded a voluntary ROM of about 58 due to the swelling. My doc figures this set up the cycle of inflammation/swelling/scarring/adhesions. Then, once it started I couldn't stop it. We held our breath and started Celebrex, but not until about week 6 which was too late for me, the knees were already locked. My suggestion would be to consult with your doctor if there's swelling and it's just not going away regardless of proper treatment. As soon as I stopped icing, it was right back. As soon as my knee sleeves were removed, it was right back. I should've begged for drugs earlier, I don't know if it would've changed the outcome but now I'll always wonder. After surgery, I tried the CPM but had so much additional swelling from it I quit using it. This time, no issues!! It's actually very comfortable and enjoyable - it feels great to actually FEEL my muscles moving and stretching, they hadn't in so long!
 
Congratulations on what seems to be a very successful MUA! I am glad to hear you are doing much better. Keep up the good work!
 
I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer. Blue says she measured 98 and 100 degrees on her new knees then peddled the bike for 7 minutes. I've read others with 100 to 110 degrees peddling consistency every day. Why is it that I can just make a rotation at 112-113 degrees with a but of difficulty either hiking my hip or a catch in my foot it at the ankle. Is it because some people have longer legs??? Seriously, I am 5' 2" tall, I have short legs, must have all my pants shortened...is it easier to pedal with less degrees of ROM with longer legs? I figure that can be the only explanation. There is no way on earth that I could pedal with 98 -100 degrees.

Blue...I am so very happy that your MUA has gone so well!!
 
Ohhhhh, Bonnie! Just a quick clarification - I'm not pedaling around, just rocking back and forth still. They did that yesterday to see the difference before/after MUA. It really, really helps loosen me up!
 
Hi Blue ... I am so happy you are so happy about your MUA. When you said in your post that you were wandering from room to room - it sounded so content and joyful. It must also be great to know you made the right decision to have a manipulation.

I hope everything continues so positively for you.

Ellen
 
You are giving me such hope. Not sure why I was never put on a CPM machine. My doctor does believe in using one??? Thanks for the updates!
 
Good Morning Blue,
I am so happy with the results from your MUA :angel:To bend your knees must be like
Heaven on earth.
I loved my CPM machine....icing, elevating & movement all at once :egypdance:I would sleep in mine:yawn:
Continue on with your recovery,
May you see progress everyday :yay:
Sincerely,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
You are giving me such hope. Not sure why I was never put on a CPM machine. My doctor does believe in using one??? Thanks for the updates!

I think that doctors are pretty much split on wether to use the CPM or not. Saying that the long term ROM ends up the same, with or without. My original TKR my doctor had me use the CPM, I never got past 57 degrees using the CPM, had a horrible recovery but 6.5 months later achieved a ROM of 135...before things went bad and scar tissue took over. With my Revision, (new doctor) he does not use the CPM for his patients. My recovery this time is 100 times better than the first. I'm not saying that the CPM contributed to a bad recovery the first time, but just that in the long haul 'for me' it made no difference having used one and not using one.
 
It's been a busy morning! Since hubby's gone, had to get up early to take step daughter to school (30 min drive each way), left home at 0630 hrs. Dropped her off, then stopped at drug store - bought some Absorbine Jr to try on my thigh muscles. No exaggeration here, I feel like I've literally ran a full marathon or rode in 100 rodeos back-to-back. It hurts more in my thighs when moving around then my knees, eesh. After getting home (two hours later!), fed the dogs, got my breakfast, but the Absorbine Jr on, took all of my meds, and have been icing since. My knees are swollen even with Celebrex AND TED hose, I'm trying to get that down some before PT. I'll sit on my bike for a few minutes and rock the pedals before leaving. I always think of half a dozen things I meant to do while up after getting both ice cuffs on, blanket on, pillows for elevating arranged - its just too much to undo it all, though another coffee suuuuuuuuuuure sounds good!

HUGE feat last night!! :dancy: I actually slept in my old, NATURAL sleeping position in bed! Flat on the back, but with each leg bent right about 90 degrees and a little sideways - NO pillow underneath them, either! OMG, it felt soooooooooo great, that was the best sleep I've had in forever! I woke around two o'clock getting all fidgety (feeling really sore), then thought why am I fighting this?? Took a pain pill then slept soundly until alarm at 0530 hrs :spin:

Hopefully I won't be too wrecked by PT, it wouldn't take a whole lot right now - feel more sore today than yesterday. They seem very understanding when I explain that, so we'll see. I'm planning a nice warm shower afterwards, icing, and a nap (yep, can tell already it'll be a nap day).

@RunA42K Bonnie, I was mentally picturing my bike pedals actually going around yesterday at PT, it seems like such a minor little thing but it's HUGE! I'm 5'7, with a 30" inseam so my legs are quite long. I'm thinking from the look of things yesterday, I'll need to be at 110 at least to get a full rotation - at least a couple weeks out, probably.

@rfricano It's my understanding not every doctor uses the CPM machine, it's very individual. My OS happens to be one that firmly believes in them, though. For me, it seems to be so much better AFTER the MUA than after my surgery - after surgery it just seemed to be awfully uncomfortable and caused a lot of additional swelling so I quit using it.

@new knee in June Diana, thank you :SUNsmile: I'm very much enjoying the CPM right now - was using it quite comfortably at 90 last night, so I made my goal :) I think today will be a day of maintaining rather than trying to increase, then increase tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom