Guest viewing is limited

MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! Thank you for so many well wishes, I'm sure the next few days will be challenging for me. I'm fortunate a dear friend has offered to come sit with me Tuesday and Wednesday as hubby will be gone (utterly no choice there). I just don't know what shape I'll be in after the MUA's tomorrow.

@NetballKnees Yes, it is plural :gaah:My left knee is basically stuck around 58, right knee around 53 when I try bending. And, thank you, I think they LOOK really good!! I'll be way more pleased when I can actually bend the darned things!

Cindy, @Texan the actual trip when ok - it's obviously WAY too early for me to try that again. I was in the back seat with legs elevated, walked into brothers house using cane and sat for two hours, then rode home the same way. Swelling and pain last night was remarkable, REALLY swollen this morning. I'm very glad we went though, I adore my niece and really, really wanted to be there for her.

Bonnie, @RunA42K good luck with your appointment!! It certainly sounds like your recovery for the revision is going much better for you. I sincerely hope all is well with your ROM and you keep moving full steam ahead :dancy:

I actually had my hairdresser come to my home this morning and do my hair - it just feels nice to feel a little pretty, ya' know? Hubby also got a trim while she was here, he has a huge business open house this week he's literally been working months preparing for (why he's gone Tues/Wed). Hubby's watching NASCAR for a bit, then we're going to an early supper at our favorite Mexican restaurant. He's dropping his daughter off at her mom's so she can get back and forth to school tomorrow since I have to be at hospital so early. Noticed yesterday morning I was going to run out of my Celebrex since doc had me double to dosage, so had to call the doctor on call to refill, and we'll pick that up while we're out.

I don't feel nervous right now, but fully expect I'll be a WRECK tomorrow morning with worry. Each time I've thought about it the last two days I tear up. I just have this nightmare that I won't even be able to walk because of the horrendous pain and swelling, and that I'll be black and blue ankle to butt. I'm expecting some pain, soreness, and swelling for sure but hope for minimal of each. I need to also get a refill of pain meds tomorrow as I'll use my last one tonight before bed. Tomorrow morning will be rough as I can't take anything after midnight. Had a CPM delivered yesterday for use afterwards - I'm supposed to live on the dang thing.
 
It'll be better than your worst fears - I promise! You've been through the hardest part.... the actual surgeries...

There will be no bone sawing, no hammering, no glueing tomorrow.

No picnic, this MUA, but you're a tough cookie who will be bending those knees (to kick some butt lol) in no time!!!

Jacki :-)
 
I loved the CPM machine so don't worry about it being painful. You control everything, just remember to start out on a low range and set it so that it is moving slowly. You can move it one degree at a time. I kept it in a range that would not be painful at all. If I increased one degree and couldn't tell any difference, then I would inch it up one more degree. The stretch actually felt really good. I was able to increase my ROM 20 degrees in 10 days with NO pain. I just tried to increase about 2 degrees per day which wasn't hard to do. My doctor had me use it 3 times per day for 2 hours each time. If I ended one day on 70 degrees, I would start the next day at around 55 to make sure I wouldn't be in pain and inch it up from there. I hated when they took the machine back at the 3 week mark. Good luck tomorrow! You are in my prayers.

Cindy
 
You my dear friend are in my prayers!!!!! Please update when you can! I will be thinking about you all day!!! xoxoxo I want to see a picture! I bet your hair looks great!!!!
 
Dinner at favorite Mexican Restaurant??!! I can't wait till hubs and I can do that. Our year anniversary is 3/14 and that's all I want is to go there with him! :) It WILL Happen! What is your favorite dish there? I love the fried ice cream ours has!

:dancy::dancy::dancy::dancy: Soon friend we are going to be dancing!

Hubby is bringing home my favorite food from where we both work (he only works there weekends) Texas Roadhouse...sure I will only eat a couple bites...but I CAN'T wait!!!
 
Hubby is bringing home my favorite food from where we both work (he only works there weekends) Texas Roadhouse...sure I will only eat a couple bites...but I CAN'T wait!!!

@Karringtyn You have Texas Road House in NY? When I read that I thought you were here in Houston with me. If they are indeed the same...OMG the rolls!! They melt in your mouth, I could eat a dozen...but I won't let myself, 130 calories each!!

@Bluetechseeker I hope you enjoyed your Mexican food lunch today. I ate too much Tex Mex last night and had left overs for lunch today. I know how worried you are about tomorrow, we can all say don't worry, but you will anyway. Everyone I have ever read about on Bonesmart who had a MUA said it was much better than expected. Look at it as a beginning to get the ROM that you want and need. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I was told I needed it.
 
Hi there Blue!

Hang in there.... I know you can't have your meds this morning. Hoping your ride in to the hospital is a smoooooooth ride! Prayers for your strength... Can't wait to see you kicking some ROM butt!

Hugs,
Jacki
 
My thoughts and prayers are with you today blue; all will be well.
 
Well, I'm home, what a day. Procedure went fine, it actually took an hour - yes, there were all kinds of adhesions that needed to be broken loose. Doc said he measured me before doing anything at 60, was able to get both to 130 afterwards. He provided a new pain med script, dilaudid 4mg, and said TAKE IT. When I awoke, I was in the worst pain I've ever, ever had. I was bawling, trembling, sobbing, clenching my fists - nurse kept saying she was working with me, but had to get my vitals before giving me anything and couldn't until I "calmed down" and "stayed still" :tantrum::headbang: Yes, I FIRED HER and got a new nurse. Within a minute, I was receiving my first dose of pain meds, she stayed with me until they started working, then continued to give slow steady doses until pain went from a 9.75 to about a 2. Now, I ask you, WHAT WAS SO HARD ABOUT THAT???????

I could hang both legs off bed at a natural 90 bend, sat totally NORMALLY in the car for the ride home, and sat down NORMALLY on the sectional once home. Right now, icing both, elevating one, the other in the CPM. I started at 60, upped to 65 after about 15 minutes, will up again shortly. Of course, I have swelling so I'm just basically keeping the ice/elevating/CPM in use until it's under control. I took my Celebrex once home so that will also help.

Doc said there was NO way I could've worked my way through being stuck AND if PT had "helped" me, it would've been barbaric - that's the degree of stuck I had. They sure feel a lot looser now!
 
Hello Blue,
I am so glad you are home and the knees are looser! So sorry you had to go through that much pain! Don't we become more assertive after we have been doing this for awhile? Glad you got a nurse, finally, who could help you! I hope you are able to get some rest and start your road to recovery.
 
I am so sorry you had so much pain after the manipulation. I hope the worst is over. Did the surgeon say he thinks you will be able to reach 130 on your own eventually? That would be wonderful!
 
Hi Blue ... So sorry about the pain - but what a result the surgeon got. You should be able to reach close to that (I am guessing) or even 130 yourself after a while. It seems like you can already feel the benefits with knees being looser and how wonderfully assertive you were with the unsympathetic nurse. Good on you.

I wish you plain sailing from now and a knee recovery that goes ahead in leaps and bounds (so to speak).

Ellen
 
Blue, although I am SO sorry about the pain, I am SO GLAD about what the doctor told you! You now get to skip that whole recovery step of questioning yourself or if you could have done anything differently/better. I'm so happy that all (but the pain) went well and I hope you have a wonderful recovery. So exciting that you could sit in the car and in a chair properly! ((hugs))
 
Wonderful news Blue I'm so happy for you...now you know why you were stuck! I'm sorry about the pain though, but the end result is well worth it.
 
OH I am so glad that things went well (except for the horror that was nurse #1) for you today ~ Hooray!!!
 
Congratulations !! Back on track. I love my cpm. 4 hours a day for me. Be sure ice and elevate afterwards. I think this will really benefit you. Alot of people are wishing you the best ! Bye
 
oh sweetie!! I have thought about you ALLLLLL day. I am SOOO glad you are good!!! xoxox
 
@RunA42K yes! There are Roadhouses EVERYWHERE! My hubby is from Texas though...he moved here last year (after we met online!)
 
So so glad you are doing well today!!! At least you are unstuck now, and on your way to a new you!!! So thankful for this forum for all the support and information!!


Right now, icing both, elevating one, the other in the CPM.

I asked my Dr. if I could get a CPM machine after my surgery and he said yes!!

Hope you do fantastic the rest of the week and that everyday gets better from here on!!!
 
Wow, started CPM at 50 for each knee, comfortably up to 75 within an hour. My goal is to easily be at 90 or better ON MY OWN by end of tomorrow. Icing during use, elevating other leg entire time. I received a pair of TED hose and have them on, I don't mind them at all. I do have swelling, so the hose feel pretty good actually. I'm planning on staying on CPM thru the night, alternating every couple hours. Hubby is up very early, so he will sleep a lot better without me and my equipment in there. And, do you realize even at 75, I've improved my ROM by almost 50%???!!!

I knew I'd hurt after the MUA, but the horrendous intensity totally took me off guard. I'd read threads here where folks could tell they had adhesions because of the pain afterwards - the ones that just had very minor adhesions/scar tissue/swelling didn't have much pain at all. So, waking up to that my thought was at least it wasn't my imagination and I wasn't just being a big baby, there WAS an actual problem! I had to look to make sure another knee surgery hadn't occurred!

Hubby keeps walking by and glances over, he's like Holy Cow!! THAT looks like a huge bend, what number is THAT?? I don't know when I've enjoyed the number 75 so much :). It feels GREAT to be able to bend and work my legs, especially my right one.

I have PT at 1100 tomorrow, my sister is driving me. I will absolutely make sure to stay properly medicated these next few days. I'm thanking my lucky stars that dilaudid works so well for me!

I appreciate all of the encouragement, support, and well wishes. I am so happy to have found this forum, in turn finding all of you. This journey is difficult, but so much more pleasant with my BoneSmart family helping me every step along the way. THANK YOU!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom