MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my knees, I see a lot of difference and sure FEEL a lot of difference. Almost six weeks out...

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
You are forging ahead! Everything hopefully is beginning to fall into place for you!
 
Well, I'm playing around with my narcotic pain med seeing what's going to work best for me since I started the Celebrex. Morning is my most difficult time, especially between 5am - 9am. I get really uncomfortable and just roll, toss, turn, shuffle my pillows - I'm sure you all know precisely what I'm talking about!! So, night before last I took the meds to bed with me and took one when I awoke around 4am. Slept great till about 0830 am :) But, my swelling and stiffness was major yesterday - I way overdid Valentines Day w/hubby :(, so I iced and elevated darn near all day. I took the dilaudid twice during the day along with my regular Celebrex and Tylenol doses, but obviously my trying to figure how best to use the pain med needed further effort.

Last night, went to bed but didn't take anything during the night. Tossed a bit early this morning, but slept until 0900 hrs. It seems I've recovered from over doing it, my swelling is minimal this morning and basically zero pain - a little stiff, but not anything that hampers any movement (I'm icing and elevating now). I haven't taken the dilaudid yet, I'm planning on holding off and taking it (if needed) later before bed. I'm thinking with the addition of Celebrex, I should be able to cut back if not wean off the narcotic. I see OS on Tuesday and will get another prescription filled "just in case", but don't feel any ill effects from NOT having it right now. I want to keep some on hand at least for the occasions I may need something stronger than Tylenol (the Celebrex also works for pain). Basically if I feel I need it I'll take it, but won't continue "by the clock" with it right now.

I ordered a lovely cane yesterday. I'm going to transition to that when out and about rather than continue with my walker. I'll speak with OS and PT this week about it as well. I've noticed my arms and shoulders are getting sore from hauling myself around <sigh...> I'm building biceps that'll rival a professional body builder and have a totally flat tummy right now as well. If nothing else, this recovery has ramped up my upper body conditioning, GEEZ!!
 
Well today is the day - six week follow up with OS, followed by PT. I know every recovery is different, but I've got to say I really thought I'd be further along than I am at this point (yes, I know these are still early days, but...)

Even now, trying to do knee slides is extremely difficult with very disappointing results - literally, about 60 degrees each knee. I can gently bend it more on the bike or doing different stretches, but have yet to surpass 90 - 95 degrees on either knee (afterwards I get a lot of swelling still). Walking is stiff with hardly any knee bend at all, especially on my right knee. I just keep thinking, it's a darned good thing I was as flexible as I was otherwise I wouldn't be able to do half of what I am (getting dressed, tying my shoes, driving, stuff like that). I'm going to sound really whiney, but I'm just at THAT point of being so frustrated and really tired of aching, hurting, swelling so much, lying on my backside for hours at a time, and being so incapable of doing daily things. My shoulders and arms are getting really sore from hauling myself around, too. Yep, pity party is definitely in full swing here!!

Hubby is gone for business, so had to go to drug store and dollar store yesterday (very minimal "on my feet" time at either place), ended up being awake most of the night in pain with swelling even having the ice cuffs on overnight while in bed. I'm elevating and icing CONSTANTLY, I feel like I'm living at the North Pole for heaven's sake.

I'm getting wrapped up in the idea my OS will discuss MUA due to such limited ROM - yes, I realize it's early, but given my obvious lack of bend, I think it's a valid worry. I've read a lot of the articles and threads on MUA, and I'm not opposed to it. Obviously, it does have a valid purpose and can accomplish a tremendous amount of improvement. I wonder, though, would he do both knees at the same time or stagger them? If I had such a difficult time with swelling after BTKR, would the Celebrex be enough to handle the swelling after MUA so I wouldn't wind up right back in the same spot??

Yes, as you can probably tell, I'm dwelling on very negative thoughts today. I tend to feel very overwhelmed and vulnerable when hubby is gone right now, too...
 
Blue you have done so well. I am 5 weeks today and wouldn't even think of driving yet. Sounds like you are having a down day. Have that down day today, dust your self off, and tomorrow will be better. Think about all the things you have accomplished since day 1 post op and how far you have come. You have been thru a lot and are still healing. Please let us know how your appt goes.
 
MUA is scheduled for Monday, both knees. Doc had me double my dose of Celebrex until then, as well as cancel the two PT appointments I had so I can save them for afterwards. He said I'll be in PT Tuesday through Friday next week. This just is NOT a surprise. My ROM is basically the same now as what it was directly after surgery - I've totally leveled off with no improvement in six weeks time - I'm still right at 53 - 58 ROM under my own power :groan:, with the assistance of PT or on my bike, I can force roughly 90, but then get tons of swelling preventing further improvement. Doc said it sounds like I'm doing everything right, this just happens sometimes. He did say he only does one, maybe two, MUA's a year so it's not like he's MUA gung ho.
 
Dear Blue,
Sorry to hear you have to do this, but at least after Monday, you will see improvement and be on the mend. You will be in my prayers!
 
I hope this MUA makes things better for you. Hang in there!!!!
 
Thank you, @Jamie and @Texan . It's very weird, but I feel SO discouraged with myself right now! Of course, lots of pressure from work and from short term disability company on trying to get me back doesn't help, but from hubby and family, too. I keep feeling the attitude of, well, c'mon, it's been WEEKS, get on with it! But, if they're not bending, they are simply not bending - the MUA certainly seems reasonable at this point. While I KNOW I've done everything that I've needed to do, it just feels like I did something to screw this all up :sorry:

I dreamt last night of waking afterwards, and literally having the same bend, walk, gait as before surgery - wow, it was AWESOME to feel that way again. So, as my OS said, hopefully assisting mother nature will springboard me on the road to achieving that. It is scary, though, not knowing really what to expect afterwards. Will I just have a bit more swelling temporarily from the procedure? Will I be totally doped up again and unable to drive or function because of so much additional pain?? Will this cause the bad bruising that I was able to avoid during the original BTKR? Regardless, it's getting done so whatever the after effects, I'll work through them. I've made arrangements for my sister to help me the two days following if needed, hubby will have to be gone again (huge open house for new factory opening he's been working on for months).

Ah, well, onward and upward. Here's hoping for at least 100 from each knee after the procedure!
 
Oh, wow, Blue! Hope things go well and you get even better than 100 post mua!
 
I hope everything goes well for you with the MUAs. You have done so well with your recovery that this is just a blip on the radar screen. We'll soon be reading about how your ROM has increased afterwards.
 
I hope everything goes well and you will be on the mend soon
 
I've followed your journey to date and you will be in my thoughts this next week. Best wishes that the MUA provides you the relief you seek and deserve.
 
Thank you, everyone. I sure appreciate the support and well wishes. I have to be at the hospital 0700 hrs on Monday, the procedure is scheduled for 1000 hrs. I'm so glad they're getting me in first thing!! I know I'll fret all weekend about what I'll wake up to, though I'll try not to.
 
Blue you have done so well. I am 5 weeks today and wouldn't even think of driving.

I'm also at five weeks (yesterday) and can't even think about driving yet either. Passengering is hard enough since I can't seem to get comfortable at all in the car. My doctor said that I could try if I was off pain meds around six weeks post op.

This is not for wimps, that's for sure! Hardest thing that I've ever had to do.

Blue ~ I'll be thinking of you on Monday with your BMUA and fingers crossed for the best possible outcome!

Hugs,
Jacki
 
Hi Blue,
Do you have to spend the night in the hospital for MUA or do you get to go home afterward? I don't know much about it so I hope that isn't a dumb question. My family thought knee replacement was going to be outpatient!
 
Hi @Texan. The plan is for me to go home later Monday - I just hope not in a lot more pain and readily able to get around. FYI, I did actually see videos on YouTube of outpatient TKR - I can't begin to imagine doing that!!
 
So I assume you have scar tissue/ adhesions. ? Or they are stuck.? Regardless you will be just fine. I admit I havent been checking in on your thread lately but you where doing exceptional. It hit me like a punch in the stomache. you are so positive , brave and inspirational im sure you will be happy to have had a mua. Just a small set back, but it will catapult you even further along in the not too distant future. so it wont be a setback. It might be a push forward ! Good luck.
 
@icep707 Thank you so much for your positive thoughts!! OS thinks my issue originated from so much swelling and being unable to take meds to bring it down - I have A LOT of allergies. It feels basically like both knees are just LOCKED in place, I just physically cannot bend them, he's thinking the prolonged swelling and inflammation did indeed allow scar tissue to form. And, a really tight band feeling across the front, the right worse than the left. I'm glad he's doing both at the same time, just get it done. He's looking at this as assisting mother nature and giving me a jump start - I'm trying to look at it that way, too. I really, really hope everything is much improved afterwards. Doc and I discussed all the activities I've been able to resume, and I told him I think it was the result of being pretty darned limber and fit before having the surgery - otherwise I'd never be able to bend and stretch the way I have (like getting in/out of tub with little assistance from hubby, putting on my regular tennis shoes, standing up to get dressed now, that kind of thing). Doc also said it's hugely telling even with the activity and the PT (which has been very gentle), that there simply hasn't been any kind of progression. It's definitely NOT something I'd volunteer for, but I do feel MUA may be just what's needed right now.

@JackiFL it's weird, but I've found I'm far more comfortable driving than riding. I have a full size SUV that I can slide right into. The passenger seat height is fixed, though - the drivers seat can be adjusted a dozen ways and that's the difference. I'm also off narcotic pain meds except a random one here or there right before bed. I'm on the Celebrex and Tylenol now, that's been enough (course, I'm thinking I'll be on the narc stuff a couple of days next week!!). I really have to give careful thought to where I'm going and what I'm planning on doing when I get there. A quick trip to the drug store is fine, but actually going alone to say a grocery store is simply NOT happening right now, it's just too much getting in, out, navigating the aisles, and certainly NOT carrying the bags anywhere!!

@daughter stalker Thank you! I have high hopes this will really be the boost needed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom