MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
@DogLoverx3 nope, it doesn't hurt a bit putting the sleeve on. The kind I have has a solid front with three straps that wrap around so you can totally adjust the tightness for the whole sleeve - I thought that would be perfect since I have different spots on each knee that have more swelling. It feels really good, and I notice a difference especially in the swelling on the back of the knee and the associated discomfort of that. I iced for several hours, then put the sleeves on. I'll be icing again shortly, and will alternate in the same manner. THAT was the worst part of Tia almost wiping me out - just the absolute fear of falling!!! I can't imagine ripping all kinds of stuff in my knees, OMG, I know I'd just faint on the spot.

@jeano I remember the days in Michigan and Maryland with nasty ice storms, blizzards - ew, I'm so glad I'm in the south now! We have a "cold front" due here on Thursday, the temp should be about 54 or so - now, THATS my kind of cold front! I keep telling hubby, "everybody loves a schnauzer!" Stanley just turned 3 in January, he's a treasure and we love him to pieces - what a total personality the little guy has!! He wrestles with the choco lab, plays tug, loves just being with us. It's pretty rare for him to settle in a spot for a bit, especially in a lap but I think he's gotten to liking my ice cuffs on his cheeks :heehee:

So far, lazing around today seems to have been the perfect decision. I've taken a couple of little naps, made sure to drink lots, take my meds, and feel a bit better than this morning. I'd planned on making stuffed peppers for supper so hubby would have something when he got home, but sorry to say, he'll be fending for himself - it's not the night for me to be in the kitchen <sigh>
 
Ah, but the ice storm I am bracing for is one state north of you, therefore Snowpocalypse or Snowmageddon take 2 for the Deep South. Time to go throw hay at the horses--only way they can keep warm when its raining and just above freezing is to eat eat EAT.
 
OMG, that's right!! I need to check in with my daughter, she's in Atlanta - I'm sure it's a madhouse there right now!
 
not a loaf of white bread, a quart of milk, or a roll of toilet paper unpurchased in the whole state!
 
wow, does that bring back memories! I lived in Atlanta/Decatur for almost seven years - the frenzy anytime there was a winter storm was amazing AND the first things that were totally bought out were white bread, milk, and TP. I moved there from Michigan, and found it utterly hysterical at the time people would so freak out over snow flurries - but, quickly learned the city simply isn't prepared for that kind of winter weather and I'd better take it serious and prepare.
 
Sorry you've had a rough day not feeling well Blue....I worry about my dog too....she was passed on to me when my mom died she is so sweet but...she's getting old and gets in the way:umm:which makes me wonder about those things. Hope you feel better tomorrow!! BTW...I have a date for surgery as long as all goes well....March 10th going to go post now....
 
@suzzee2000 congrats on getting your surgery date!! You've got lots of time to read and prepare which is great.

Today has definitely been better than yesterday, just feeling a bit fatigued and weak with a little tummy rumbling. I got up around eight thirty, had some oatmeal for breakfast, took meds, then hooked up to the ice machine. I fell back asleep for FOUR hours! Wow, it felt great and I had darn near zero swelling after being iced all that time, hee hee. Disconnected the cuffs and put my sleeves on. I've taken about five short trips to the kitchen, I'm making stuffed peppers for supper so did the sauce (in stages), then cleaned the peppers, then assembled (resting on sectional w/legs elevated in between stages). I cannot imagine trying to do anything in a timely manner right now, geesh. But, I'm sure they'll be tasty and heaven knows they're easy enough. Hubby will have leftovers for a couple days, too :spin:I was actually able to get cleaned up and put fresh clothes on today, yesterday just stayed in jammies all day.

Tomorrow it's PT time, we'll see how that goes. It feels so awesome having so little swelling right now, I sure wish there was a drug I could take that would provide such relief. My FUP with OS is next week and I'll discuss with him to see if there's an alternative that'd work with my allergies.
 
Here's my knees after icing for 4 hrs and wearing sleeves for about 4 hours...just wished they STAYED this way!!

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
 
WOW your knees look great!!! You are really coming along!! @Bluetechseeker I am going to keep reading everything I can and yes having this month to prepare is good for me. Keep doing what you're doing because your recovery is very inspiring!! :yes!: Here's to another good day!
 
Bleh, what a HORRIBLE night! Went to bed around eleven thirty, woke at one o'clock then tossed and turned until finally getting up at six thirty, ugh. I just could not get comfortable to save my soul, geesh. I hope this isn't the start of sleep issues. I'm thinking I may try using the icing cuffs through the night tonight.

I have PT this afternoon, then had considered going to support hubby for our bowling night - I dunno. We'll see how good PT is to me and if I'm tight or sore, I'm parking myself at home for the evening. It's one thing to try going somewhere if you can properly elevate or LEAVE if it's not working, but going with hubby tonight has no "out" for me - I'd be there from about six until nine or so which can be an eternity if knees don't want to cooperate.
 
I had the same sleepless night! Tossed and turned. Sat up got up walked everything. Could not get comfortable all night. Muscles were fighting me a night calves thighs sides of knees. Physical therapist said it will be like this the 3 and 4 week after surgery. She said the pt is moving the muscles and tissue and not allowing it to heal in place but moving it to heal so joint can bend and proper walking gait can return. All part of rehab process ugh. She said it will go away and feel better as the correct healing begins. Patience. Said to ice everywhere and can put best on thigh muscle if I want but ice feels better. Just wish TV and reading interest me but they don't. Took a nap which helped until my Bernese Mt dog decided to jump on top of me in bed at 5pm. After crying and icing seem to be OK. She felt awful and knew she had hurt me. Think I will close door for now on when napping. Pt had me do more exercises at kitchen counter. Going up on toes. Holding on and stepping side to side. Marching in place bending knees holding on. Exercises increase daily. She went easy today because of my restless night. Did some cane walking holding onto counter. She said I did it naturally without being told how to use cane. She is an excellent physical therapist. Leg muscles sore tonight hope I sleep better :/
 
Happy Valentines Day my BoneSmartie Friends!! :flwrysmile:

OMG....OMG.....OMG....I've had a BREAKTHROUGH!!!!! Yesterday morning, I was SO swollen and sore, I was about going out of my mind. I haven't been on a prescription anti-inflammatory because I have allergic reactions to so many of them, it's like Russian Roulette trying anything. Facing PT, I just knew I couldn't do it anymore. I called my OS office and basically begged them to let me try something, anything - I couldn't hardly even walk. I was a wreak all morning, sobbing off and on - poor hubby just didn't know what to do :boohoo:

They called in a prescription, I went on to PT. I had two of the nicest, most compassionate and gentle therapists ever (I think doc told them to be extra gentle with me bless his heart). They had me on the bike for about ten minutes just stretching and flexing, then each massaged and GENTLY bent a knee (alternating them, never at the same time), and would gently stretch and massage everything out after bending. Then, twelve minutes on TENS unit with ice behind and on top of each knee. They commented how stiff and tight everything was, especially my right knee. Yep, totally true! I picked up prescription on the way home, then took a dose.

Literally, within about four hours, it was like the difference between night and day :dancy: - my knees hardly felt tight at all!! I went to bowling, elevating legs the whole time (felt GREAT seeing all of my friends and team mates!!), then we came home. Normally by about nine pm, I'm really stiff - not last night! When we got home, I rolled up my pant legs and BEHOLD!! I actually have KNEE CAPS!! :yay: You could clearly see their outline, holy cow, I'd forgotten what they looked like!!!!! I spent a couple hours elevating, took final dose of meds, and hit the hay. This morning, whereas normally the day after PT I'm almost incapable of moving about :groan:, I very easily popped (yep, actually POPPED) out of bed, came out to kitchen and made my coffee and oatmeal, set up ice unit. WOW, what a HUGE difference!!!!! :egypdance: The medication that has so totally helped me is Celebrex 100mg capsules, I take one twice a day. I've stopped the ibuprofen per instructions. I'm SO happy that I can actually tolerate this medication!! If doc was here, I would've hugged him about a bazillion times already (sorry, hubby!) AND - most impressive of all right now - the pain BEHIND my knees is GONE - GONE!!! Wow, I've just been grinning all morning. :yahoo:

Today - I honestly feel like I CAN do this, I can face my recovery and actually improve my ROM without just causing more swelling and pain :SUNsmile: Walking is SUPER today, right knee is bending darn near as easily and as much as the left, and it feels like both are much freer overall. Ahhhhh, what a HUGE relief! :thumb:
 
Congratulations!!!! I am so happy you have found your "magic" pill! I took Celebrex before surgery and it was wonderful. It kept me from having surgery for another year. I might talk to my OS and see if I can add that back in since my pain meds are making me so sick and I have had to cut way back on them. At least I know I can tolerate them. So happy for you!!!
 
Look! Knees! :spin:Congrats! Anti-Inflammatories helped me as well. I'm still hoping to see my knee cap one of these days but they absolutely helped with the internal swelling. I've never taken Celebrex, but take Diclofenac. Keep up the great work!!
 
Your knees look great! You can't even see the scars in the photos. What a milestone to see your knees!
 
Congrats on the break thru. You are doing great and the knees look great. Wish I could take nsaids to help the swelling. My right knee is still 5 cm bigger than the left. If I could get rid of the swelling I would feel so much better. Keep up the good work
 
Your knees look amazing! Love your optimism too.
 
Hmm, wonder if the celebrex I was discharged on for I think the first week(?) contributed to my good recovery--I was on that, an aspirin, and prn Lortab when I left the hospital and I never had any severe swelling or bad pain--I mean, what I called BAD pain meant I had to take a lortab. Like one or two on a bad pain day. Here's hoping you continue to tolerate the celebrex and that it breaks that pain/swelling/pain/limited ROM cycle for good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom