MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say Thank You for sharing your journey so far Blue....All of the others input has been so awesome as well! Eases my nerves a bit about what to expect! :)
 
Yayyyyy! Strolled through vegetable market, then rolled through grocery store. I feel a satisfied kind of tired but SO good!! Hubby pushed the carts, grabbed everything we needed, I only got up a couple times for anything. I'm really happy with how well the trip went but know I am NOT close to doing this on my own.
 
@suzzee2000 Thank you! I'm so glad you find my posts helpful :friends:When is your surgery and what are you having done? This forum is truly a wealth of information, support, and encouragement :thumb:

After getting home, hubby brought all the groceries in and I put them away. I made baked chicken and baked sweet potatoes for supper, so that was cooking while I was working. Then, cleaned all my kitchen counters - um, lets just say they weren't in the same kind of condition as they normally are when I'm handling the cooking :snork: After supper, made a cup of coffee, and am now reclined icing and elevating - BOY does that feel great right now :yes: I actually feel like I could take a little nap, but since it's almost nine pm here, I'll pass on that opting to just relax for a while instead. I'm really impressed with how the outing went this afternoon. Hubby is talking about maybe going to the park tomorrow for a short stroll - it's supposed to be quite pretty out, so it'd be really enjoyable. I told him let's just see how things are in the morning. I'm still planning on icing during the night like I did last night - hopefully I'll feel just as good tomorrow morning!!
 
@Bluetechseeker yes, your posts are very inspiring!! How right you are about the wealth of information let alone the support! I am so thankful to have found this site. I am having BTKR ( I think that means both knees) and hoping to have my surgery scheduled at my next appointment with my OS on the 21st. Here's :beer:to wishing you another successful day tomorrow!!!
PS wish I was still living in Florida!!
:snow dig: Ohio is a little freezing at the moment!!
 
Yep, BTKR does mean both knees! :) wow, ironically, I lived in Michigan for years before migrating south! I just wouldn't want to be up north right now, geesh! I've gotten too spoiled with the warmth and sunshine down here. Hopefully you will be able to get your surgery date - then you can really begin your preparations in earnest. Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes for tomorrow!! I sure hope I feel as good tomorrow as I did today :SUNsmile:
 
Glad to hear everything moving along for you. I hope when my time finally arives I have just as good an outcome.
[quote="Bluetechseeker, post: 567262,BTKR does mean both knees!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Blue....please do keep in mind that you are a mere 4+ weeks out from your surgery. That's so early in this recovery process. Try not to push yourself too much. Your body is still healing. I know you want to get on with those "normal" things, but it really takes more than a month or even two to complete the healing process.

This is the time for patience......slow and steady!
 
You are doing so great. I love reading your posts. Thanks for sharing
 
@Jamie I appreciate the words and reminders of caution - I do tend to push ahead with things. When I catch myself doing that, I pull back the following day and just rest, ice, elevate. The last couple of days had been quite busy with PT, the handicap sticker, then getting the grocery shopping done. There is NO way I'd be able to stay on my feet to actually do the shopping - the saving grace was definitely the electric cart, I could just stretch my legs out and ride along. When I've done any cooking, I rest and elevate on the sectional that's in the family room/kitchen area - I can't stand that long without feeling a lot of pressure, like my knees are going to burst or something - not pleasant at all.

Today was a do nothing kind of day. We stayed up and watched a movie late last night, then I ended up waking early this morning feeling pretty good - no ill effects from the outing yesterday (more swelling, stiffness, or pain). The amount of grocery shopping done will last a couple of weeks, so no need for me to be on another extended outing for a while.

Today, I did my stretches and rode my bike after my hot bath, had a bite of lunch, took a nap, and that's been about it. Hubby did the laundry and some basic housework, he's offered to have a temporary maid come in once a week if I want (YES!!!) I cannot for a minute imagine trying to sweep, vacuum, mop, dust, or really scrub the bathrooms - that'd totally wreck me, I'm sure. Hubby grilled pork chops and asparagus for supper, too - that was totally yummy!

Tomorrow, I may need to run and buy coffee - hubby picked up the wrong stuff at the big box store. But, we'll see what tomorrow morning brings. That is not a trip I'd necessarily look forward to (standing in line to exchange something just doesn't appeal to me or my knees right now!), so will need to be in the right frame of mind. Otherwise, he can do it when he returns from business trip on Tuesday. I think it's just nice to know I CAN go if I want!
 
Dear Blue,
I just read back through your posts. Your knees look fantastic! My husband takes care of my meds and makes sure I take them on time. He started cutting back pain meds on day 10 because I was so sleepy all the time. The first time I had pain because I didn't have enough meds was a rather tense situation in our house. I iced and elevated and still had pain. I now take 1.5 tablets of hydrocodone every 4 hours. 2 tablets were prescribed in the hospital. He had lowered my dose to 1 tablet every 4 hours. That was NOT enough for me. A friend of ours came over today who is an orthopedic specialist who specializes in ankles and feet. He asked about my pain. When I told him the story of cutting my pain pills, he told my husband "Gosh, no pain when she took the recommended dose. Maybe the doctor knows what he is doing." The 1.5 tablets work great so we are leaving them there until I decide it can be lowered. I am also worried about my ROM. It is painful to sit in a chair at the kitchen table since I have pain on the back of my legs behind the knees, also. I guess that is swelling. Thank goodness the PT who comes to my house isn't aggressive with therapy. She is always very encouraging but she doesn't push me to do things that hurt me. I will be happy when I can sit in the chair and have my foot flat on the floor at a 90 degree angle without pain. I enjoy reading your posts and am encouraged by them. You are much braver than me having both done at once!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker, wow your recovery is awesome. To say you've had both knees done you are able to do sooooooo much!!!! I'm still pretty well housebound, more to do with gale force winds and torrential rain over here! I think you are an inspiration and wish you well with your speedy recovery! Xxxx
 
@Texan that pain behind the knees is because of swelling, but I think also it could be the hamstrings acting up - mine have been aching for a couple weeks now, since I've gotten more mobile. It's actually been WAY more bothersome than anything else, other than persistent swelling. I've started going to bed with an ice gel pack wrapped in a light towel and placed behind each knee, it's really helped. I've also used the ice pack several times throughout the day the same way and it really makes a difference. Tonight, I made gallon and quart sized homemade gel packs (4 C water w/1C rubbing alcohol). I did four of each, that way I'll always have a set ready in the freezer (double bagged for safety sake, too). Hubby was really pushing for me to reduce pain meds, but when I tried I was in a really bad state - it was just too soon (he was concerned with addiction). Now several weeks further along, I've been able to reduce the narcotic meds with no issue. I know OS will be reducing from 4mg dilaudid to 2mg the next refill.

@Nana moon 27 thank you, you are so sweet! I know I wouldn't want to be out in ferocious weather!! Heck, it was just some gentle rain here on Saturday and I kept telling hubby we could delay the grocery shopping if he wanted to, hee hee.

Today, I exchanged the coffee - took all of about ten minutes. Stopped at dollar store for freezer bags for ice gel, then stopped at drugstore for knee sleeves. Last week, PT mentioned I may have success using them for my swelling since I can't take anti-inflammatories. Well, as soon as I put them on a HUGE difference!! I iced and elevated a couple hours first. My knees felt freer, I could walk smoother, the really tight feeling was gone, the pain behind my knee was gone. I left them on about an hour or so, I'll alternate tomorrow with the sleeves and the icing/elevating. Has anyone else used these, what was your experience??

Other than that, was up very early this morning to see hubby off, then be up with step daughter dropped her two pooches off - I'm watching them till tomorrow. Iced, then napped till almost one o'clock, I've gotten so lazy! I used to be such a morning person, but that's totally flown out the window right now. I figured the errands I did was activity enough other than a couple of nice stretches so didn't try any puttering around the house or anything.
 
Good morning Blue,
I am very interested in the knee sleeve. I have never heard of these. What brand are they and what section of the store are they in? I think I will make a stop at the drug store after getting stitches removed this afternoon. Thanks for the info.

Cindy
 
@Texan I bought mine at the drug store, in the area with all the braces and bandages. The PT said just don't get the ones with the hole in the center of the knee, otherwise I'd end up with something like a squishy unicorn horn :eeeuw:. If you're getting your sutures out today, I'd definitely ask them about wearing them.

Today - not a good day. Feel like I'm coming down with both a sinus infection and a touch of the flu. I've called my OS office to make sure how to proceed, and have cancelled my PT for this afternoon - frankly, I'm doing enough "running" back and forth already without trying to make it through the hour with lots of tummy issues.

The puppy sitting went fine, no issues UNTIL our choco lab decided this morning she'd play chicken with me - not once, but twice :yikes: She kept coming up behind me, then would try shooting past me but end up knocking into the back of my legs (she's not as dainty as she thinks she is!! :puppysmooze:). She wiped me out both times, I had to grab the cabinets the first time, the sectional the second time. WTH?? I think she was just very, very happy she had her friends here with her but it was just too scary for me, I do NOT need a fall right now!! So, I've been icing and elevating in between bathroom trips <sigh> yeah, today will be challenging. Oh, and I've already had two crying jags so we're just doing DUCKY alright!! :boohoo:
 
Aw my schnauzer, Stanley, is doing his part helping mommy with recovery

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
 
I wore the neoprene sleeve type "braces" the first couple of days back at work, and for a couple of horseback rides back in December--they are a comfort measure for sure. I was living in the things a few years back. I didnt have any problem using the open hole for the kneecap style but didnt have a lot of swelling by that time. Today, with an icestorm looming, my scar is complaining bitterly. I havent iced in a week or so, might be time to do that for a while (before the power goes out--after that I'll just stick my knee out the front door!)

I had a sweet little schnauzer almost 20 years ago.
 
Sorry about your dog taking you out twice today. My dogs did that to me a couple of times last week and the sense of utter fear of actually falling down on my knee was terrible. Really shook me up. I hope you're feeling better. I'm so sorry you're having a down day. Hopefully things will seem brighter soon. Good to know about the neoprene brace. It doesn't hurt to put it on your knee? I wondered if one would be helpful. My OS said, no, but I may try it anyway. My knee is still swollen when I do anything, so wondering if I can 'squish' the swelling down. ;-)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom