MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
:dancy: YEY for the drive! I know how exciting it is to feel you're not 'trapped'. Very glad you waiting for your hubby to play co-pilot for your first outing! Keep up the great work! :dancy:
 
Thank you, guys :happydance:I've spent all day just resting, elevating, icing - did NOT have a good night. Hubby was out of town, it was just the pooches and I, and frankly, I was scaring myself with "what if's". Right now, there are times I feel so darn vulnerable it's scary, and that was happening last night. Then, combine that with psyching myself out about zombies after watching The Walking Dead marathon, and yeahhhhhh, made for a long night. But, doing the laundry and cleaning the oven yesterday seems to have been okay because I'm not bad off today from it.

I had such a silly grin on my face the entire time we were strolling through the drug store, too. I'm not on my feet long, don't misunderstand!! All in all, I think we were inside all of maybe ten minutes, but it was great :dancy:I can tell already, there are NO extended shopping trips planned, that's for sure. :blush:
 
So you need adult supervision to keep you from watching scary shows.:no-fin::heehee:
 
Yeahhhhhhhh, I guess I do and BELIEVE me - I didn't hear the end of it last night from hubby!! He thought it was hilarious! :rotfl:

I was wondering - have any of you experienced night sweats since surgery?? I'm on hormone therapy, but since surgery they've been really wicked. Would it be a by product of the pain meds or something??

Wondering too - I've had a nasty ache behind my knees for about a week, when I take a hot bath it makes them feel better. During my outing to the drugstore last night, I got a heating pad. I used it on the back of my knees for a while last night and BOY, my knees have been really achy since. I'm thinking it's too early for heat from the reaction, I had a horrible night last night and was really, really uncomfortable this morning, too. That's the only thing that I've done different so in that respect it makes sense. Would the heat actually cause more internal swelling at this point??
 
I haven't had night sweats but have had hot flashes coincide with my exercises so that I end up a bit lightheaded and in need of ice water.

Haven't gotten the okay for a bath yet but I DO MISS taking a nice relaxing tubby. Sigh.
 
ice behind your knees will help...when i started walking more with a bit more of a 'normal' gait (heal, toe) the backs of my knees were very sore. My PT told me it was my hamstrings being worked and that it's a good sign. too bad it hurts ;)

i thought I was the only one having night sweats! sorry yours are bad, but glad i'm not the only one.
 
Okay, so let's do the GOOD first...

I can actually put on and tie my regular sneakers! :yay: That's what I tried for PT today, and it was fine. I also didn't need to use my walker during the night, so that's certainly a positive. Slept from about ten thirty last night straight through to almost five thirty this morning, too...

Now, the not-so-good....
PT - therapist had me lie on a table, then bend each knee as far as I could for their initial measurements. Left was 57, right was 52 - yup, folks, that's how bad they are :hairpulling: We did a little on the recumbent bike (he could see a lot more bend there than when I try bending myself), then some stretches in the room. Then, over to another table where he very gently massaged and bent each knee. While he was doing this, he estimated the right was then at 90, the left probably about 95, then on to icing and the TENS unit for 8 minutes. What I don't understand is WHY can't I physically bend my knees further????? If there's swelling (obviously, there is), then why can they be gently bent?? This is driving me CRAZY :headbang: I'm doing my gentle exercises, icing, elevating - being SO careful to not overdue - WHY don't I have more voluntary bend?? And, yes, PT already mentioned the urgency of getting me moving so I don't need MUA. He fell just shy of throwing "window of opportunity" in there, but certainly strongly insinuated.

I'm home now (picked up the form then went to Tax Collector and picked up my temporary handicap parking sticker) icing and elevating again. Hubby's asking when I think I'll be fit to travel, work is calling beating around the bush of when I'll be able to do something for them, geesh. I feel SO pressured and stressed, and very, very frustrated right now. :boohoo::groan:
 
That's the way my knees are too! It's ridiculous the difference in the bend between just trying on my own and getting some help.

Congratulations on tying your shoes! That's a big deal!
 
Hi @Bluetechseeker I have been reading your lists with great interest. Well done on the driving. I can't even consider that yet so congratulations. Like you I cannot spend too much time on my feet either. What I like most about your posts is their honesty. You share your good and bad days and I could so relate to it. Btw your knees look amazing mine is still a bit swollen and lumpy looking when I stand. However, I dropped something on the floor the other day and I bent my knees and licked the object up! Been years since I could do that !! Catch you later x x x
 
I know it's hard to concentrate on the positive and not dwell on the negatives, but here is an odd example of how everyone heals differently. I had RTKR on 12/16/13. It took a long time, but my ROM is finally at 130 .... BUT I still CANNOT put on or tie my tennis shoes! Something about the angle or whatever prevents me from being able to put on or tie a shoe with laces on my operated leg. I think it's awesome that you, having had both knees done, are already driving and can put on tennis shoes!

I've found that my knee bends at different degrees in different positions. If I lie on my back with my leg in the air and just let my foot drop, it doesn't go much past 90 however, when I'm sitting, when I bring my heel towards my tush, I can get it to 130. Makes no sense. Keep up the great work and you'll get there. Slow and steady will win this race! ((hugs))

(i hope you don't take my ROM# as any sort of a 'brag' because it's not - anyone who's read my thread knows I've had a really hard time with just about everything - although my # is a good one, there are many many things I still cannot do that many others can - like tie my shoes ;-))
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's so hard when it seems like everyone is pulling on you for some reason that they think is valid.

Comments I've heard:
"Do you spend all day laying down?"
"Still on your pain meds?"
"So when, ahhh, do you think that you might he able to do _____ for me?"
"Walking a lot? I've got a friend who played tennis at a month post op!"

....and so on.... we all know the drill....

At this time in my life, when I should be focused on what I need and want, I'm still juggling egos! Argh!!!
 
he very gently massaged and bent each knee. While he was doing this, he estimated the right was then at 90, the left probably about 95, then on to icing and the TENS unit for 8 minutes. What I don't understand is WHY can't I physically bend my knees further?????

Well that sounds like pretty darn good numbers considering you're only at 4 1/2 weeks out! .... and driving too! :yay:what helped me reduce the difference between active and passive flexion was ankle weights: I put on a 5 pound weight for my standing flexes (where you stand on one leg & bend/lift the other leg up behind you) ... but because you're bilateral I'd ask your PT if it's OK for you and what reps etc would be appropriate....
Cheers,
Al
 
@JackiFL ~ I actually had some dimwit say to me, when I was at a catering job just 2 weeks post op and using my walker 'you're STILL using a walker?(insert look of horror on his face here) everyone I know that has had this done is walking on their own by the 2nd week' ........... gee. thanks.
 
It sounds like the warm bath loosens up your muscles/ligaments and so feels good but the heating pad is perhaps too intense for the knee itself. I'd say do the baths so long as they feel good and ice behind the knee.
 
Thank you all SO much! I greatly appreciate everything you've shared and the encouragement you've offered. :thankyou:

@2hips2knees if you find the key to unlocking the bend difference, holy smokes, PLEASE share!! :SUNsmile: I knew others just had to be experiencing the same, but gosh, HOW frustrating is it??

@Nana moon 27 you've done SO well recovering from your surgery! It seems like a long recovery road, every little thing counts for sure. Isn't it terrific when you just spontaneously do a "normal" thing - and it WORKS?!! :egypdance:Congrats on actually being able to bend and pick something up, that's BIG!

@DogLoverx3 it never ceases to amaze me just how different of an experience we all have! And, don't think for a second it sounds like you're "bragging" about your ROM - I'm in the midst of trying to reach the numbers you have, and there's a whole lot of patience, hard work, and diligence in getting there. You should definitely be proud of what you've accomplished, that's for sure. I've definitely noticed freer movement in different positions than others, so I can understand the difficulty various tasks can pose. Just imagine the surprise you'll have when all of a sudden you CAN put your tennis shoes on and tie them :happydance:I was totally shocked yesterday, but just figured, what the heck, I'd give it a try. And, dimwit sounds about right that that guy, by the way.

@JackiFL OMG, you sure hit the nail on the head! When my co-worker called yesterday, I was still in bed so it went to voicemail. He mumbled something, then made a comment HR was looking for me. So, I called HR and left a message for her - heaven knows, don't want any issues there. Then, co-worker called back and sounded almost miffed. I asked what was up, and he started talking about him hoping I enjoyed my trip and wondered when I'd get back - WHAT:hissy: I said, are you freaking KIDDING me?? The only "trip" I've been on has been the daily trek to the bathroom a million times, that I had my first outpatient PT and had already burst into tears TWICE thinking about it. I have NO idea where he got the idea I was on a trip but boy, did HE get set straight. It came across like I'm milking this, just lazing around enjoying alllllllll this wonderful time off - REALLY?? Irritated me to no end! The other comments you've made I think I've heard from our family and friends from roughly week 2 - geesh. Now, they're acting like since I said I drove that all should magically be totally normal. Well, hope they're not holding their breath because, sister, they're going to be holding it for a while from the looks of everything.

@saltyal Thank you :) PT did mention using a weight, he showed placing it across my kneecap while I have my leg extended in front of me for the extension, though. My right leg is about 8 degrees less than my left on extension, so that needs work for sure. And he said do this on one leg at a time. My next appointment is on Tuesday, I'll definitely ask about using the weight like you've described. I don't want to push and rush, but I can't help but feel I'm just missing some "magic" combination that will immediately improve my ROM, you know what I mean?

I really, really dreaded this morning - I was very concerned I'd be extremely swollen and sore after PT :groan:BUT - to my utter shock, I feel really GOOD. Even hubby commented on it several times. I didn't feel like there was a mad rush to get immediately on my icing and elevating, and actually felt a bit looser than I have in the morning. After PT, I went to tax collectors office for handicap sticker, then picked hubby up and we went to Chinese buffet for first time in forever - it was YUMMY and great doing a normal thing. On the way home, he went through drugstore drive thru for a prescription, then we came home. It was about 5 minutes from home all of a sudden I was thoroughly DONE - started hurting, couldn't hardly sit in the truck (hubby drove on the way home), it was bad. Got home, actually got sick from the pain and discomfort (I was also an emotional wreck, had burst into tears at PT and after getting sticker, bawling like a little girl), stayed elevating and icing for several hours, then watched a movie with hubby. When I went to bed, I used gel packs on front/back of both knees. I didn't get up at all last night, slept from about one until about nine thirty this morning. I think the HUGE difference was using the gel packs during the night. I'll do so again tonight, they felt wonderful.

We are planning on trying a little grocery shopping today - I'm mentally planning my route to get what we need quickly with as little "on the feet" time as possible. We're doing the fruit market first, get that out of the way, then onto the regular grocery where they have the carts I can sit and drive. If it gets to be too much, we'll just stop, check out, come home, and maybe finish up tomorrow. Hubby will be gone again Monday and Tuesday, so I'd rather do the errands while he's here than try while he's gone - I know it's just too much for me right now.
 
@kneeper thanks for the insight :egypdance:The heating pad is just TOO much right now, I mentioned it at PT yesterday and he, too, said use ice for the back of knees right now. I'm getting ready to go into the bath right now, and do look forward to the relaxing heat it provides.
 
Thanks for your kind reply. I may have 'good' ROM, I just can't seem to use it for anything! ;-)

You're quite the trooper! I still limit myself to just 1 'outing' a day or else it just wears me out. I so admire your ability to go thru both knees at once and be doing so well!!!!! I'm a big fan of the electric carts at the store, but I find that they're uber uncomfortable for tall people as you can't really stretch out your legs. I'm glad you have an 'exit strategy' set up for the grocery store. Very smart! I hope your knees handle your outings well today! Again, I'm so impressed for how well you're doing just a month after having both done! You're kinda my idol. ;-) Keep up the great work!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom