MUA Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, darn!! Had several phone calls to make this morning (renewing prescriptions, setting PT appointments, etc.). In between calls, I thought I'd check one last time for aqua therapy in my area - BINGO!! Found one about twenty minutes from here!! :dancy: Woo Hoo!! Until I call them, that is - yes they're taking new patients, but they don't work with insurance at all - and their fee is $100/session which is just not a possibility, <sigh......> So, on to standard outpatient PT, my first appointment is next Friday afternoon.

I just had a call back from my OS office, they're starting to reduce the amount of pain meds as well. They've been issuing 60 4 mg dilaudid, with the instructions 1-2 every 4-6 hours, so up until yesterday I'd been taking 2 every 4 hrs. (I tried reducing to 1 a couple of times, it was just too soon). Yesterday I reset my alerts so I've increased the spacing to 5 hours between doses, which I told them this morning. His PA said the prescription he's providing today he wanted to last 10 - 12 days - um, basically meaning cutting what I've been having in half at least AND longer spacing between doses. AND, the next prescription he's already planning on dropping the dose down to 2mg tablets instead of 4mg. Well, at least hubby will be happy with the drug changes :skep: I know I don't need the heavy doses of narcotics forever, but it IS scary reducing them thinking what if the really bad pain comes? What if I can't get on top of it very easy? What if the swelling gets a lot worse?? Yeah, all that stuff just rattles around in my brain.

BUT - on the high side, once I'm done with the heavy duty pain meds, I can drive again, right?? :happydance:
 
I'm sorry to hear about the big ol' GONG that you got from Aqua therapy.

My gym has a hot tub and two heated pools (one for laps, walking or swimming and the other for group type classes) so I'm planning to get a big waterproof bag for my TKR book so that I can work on the hot tub and pool exercises listed in the book (eventually, not right now). Do you have a facility like that near you where you could do your own pool workouts?

About the change in meds, I guess I'm sort of surprised that he wants you to go (basically) from 8 every four hours to 2 every four hours. Or did I read that incorrectly??

Hang in there! This dreary weather can't last much longer, can it?

Jacki
 
@JackiFL you did read that correctly - wants me to reduce to less than half of what I've been taking. I've been on 8 mg every 4 hrs, he now wants me to do 4 mg roughly every 6 - 8 hrs so the same prescription (60 tablets) would last ten to twelve days rather than five days as it has been. I understand needing to be on other meds, heaven's, I wouldn't want to stay on the dilaudid forever but my concern is that is seems early compared to the information that I've gotten here. Of course, I don't KNOW what my pain level is because staying on the constant dose hasn't allowed the pain to build or escalate - I do have swelling and tightness consistently, though, except right after elevating and icing. I guess I will try reducing the meds, adding Tylenol and trying to ice/elevate more - I can do that at night, too if needed. Hubby immediately said to stop with the alarms at night, waking to take pain meds - he figures I should sleep through the night if I can and just take them when I awake. He said being almost a month out, I shouldn't have to do that anymore. I guess we shall see. With all else I'm trying to do and balance, disagreeing and arguing over pain meds shouldn't need to be on the list :gaah:But, how do you KNOW reducing will be a problem if you don't TRY, right?

I don't have a place like you've described around me :sad: I'd checked before, but there's just nothing close. On the other side of town there's a facility off of International Drive (near all the theme parks), but getting there and back would be an utter nightmare each and every time due to the traffic - it would just be bad. My gym doesn't have a pool, either. I'd also checked at the YMCA, there's one less than ten minutes from me but their pool is closed until late March, it's an outside pool. So, yeah, batting a thousand on that one all the way around.
 
I know it's a long haul to come to Merritt Island but the HealthFirst gym here has the heated pools. I'm sorry that there isn't one closer to you....
Maybe, once we are both driving, you could come as my visitor? :-)

Jacki
 
If you can get the timing right and be sure to take meds before bed you may not need them overnight. I think the fact that you can take meds every 4 hours is possibly more important than the reduction in dosage--meaning keeping a consistency. And you can always call back if the new protocol just isn't cutting it.
 
Well, I didn't write yesterday because, well, I was just having a "poor me" kind of day - a real downer, having pain, and just really done with this whole recovery "thing" <sigh...> I've changed my meds to include Tylenol every eight hours not exceeding 4000mg per day, and reduced my dilaudid to three times daily, 4 mg per dose. I have not needed anything during the night, and think my main issue yesterday was the initial withdrawal from all the dope. And, it wasn't the brightest idea of mine to make all these changes the day after PT - I was sore from that alone, especially the back of my calves. :hissy:

Today is sooooo much better - both for attitude and physical comfort. I really don't want to take heavier doses of the narcotic, and if it stays like this I won't need to. IF I have more pain/discomfort after PT days, then I'll be ok with increasing the dose temporarily. I just really, really don't want to fight with hubby AND doc about the dang pain meds, I've got too much else I need to concentrate on. And, today I actually slept until 0930, with last night at 1030 pm being my last dose of 4 mg dilaudid. That seems to have worked fine, I got up around 0430 am to use the potty, and right back to bed and sleep. I take that as a step forward, for sure.

GUESS WHAT I CAN DO NOW??!! I can actually sit on a stool WITH my legs crossed, and rather comfortably, for a good twenty minutes or so. Yay, progress :tada: Been icing and elevating all morning, prepping for our little journey to hubby's sisters for Super Bowl. He's left it up to me how long we stay and I'm playing I by ear. The drive alone is 45 minutes, I'm taking some ice packs and my meds, of course. So, we'll see - she has a lovely couch with built in recliners that I can stay nice and elevated on :spin:
 
I'm sorry that had a rough day yesterday. Those days that are "one step forward, two steps back" really have a way of deflating the good mood balloon.

Hugs!!!
Jacki
 
I don't know if it was smart or not, but what worked for me when I went off opioids was I took 1000mg acetaminophen @ 5 hours: 0600, 1100, 1600, 2100, then 5 mg oxycodone at bedtime (2230-2400) which let me sleep till around 0600 .... so I was maxing out on the daily acetaminophen but had an 8 hour break in there to make up for it... the upshot was a painless transition back to "normalcy"

It's good to hear you had a better day today, except I imagine you're rooting for the Broncos and you should be bummed out by now! :cheers:
 
@saltyal, we just got back from watching the game - ohhhhh, what a massacre that was!!! I wasn't really rooting more for one team than another, but did favor the Broncos slightly <sigh...> :cry:

I like the med schedule you used - I've dropped way down on the dilaudid and will reduce further after a couple more days. Thank goodness I can take Tylenol at least, it certainly does help. It was odd, but this morning waking up I found myself stretching and clenching my quads - almost to the point of cramping :yikes: Don't know what THAT was all about, but I don't want to repeat it tomorrow. The last twenty minutes or so at sister in laws was getting pretty uncomfortable, so I'm glad to be home, properly elevated, and icing before bed. Everyone was surprised at how well I was getting around, it felt good to get lots of compliments - great ego boost, that's for sure.

Tomorrow will be doing more of the stretches and bike riding, gotta keep moving forward albeit slowly.

OH - as I was watching season's 1 & 2 of Walking Dead today it occurred to me - I'm walking just like one of the WALKERS! :rotfl: Hubby said, too funny!!
 
I'm walking just like one of the WALKERS!

That cracks me up! :snork:..... I've had some cramping from time to time too, & I found it's well taken care of by substituting the Tylenols with a couple of generic acetaminophen+ methacarbamol tablets (Robaxacet) and a side benefit of those is it helps me sleep when I take them at bedtime.... I think it's the same formulation as Tylenol Night's.
 
blue .you are doing great. remember the video ? your knees took a beating. as for the med management and the pain . those are my biggest fears. its easy for me to say but you are as prepared as anyone and you need to be patient. you can do it and you will do it!!!!!!!!!!!! both you and jacki are doing as well as you can. the dark days haven't even arrived so you MUST focus . congratulations on the things you are doing . keep up the great work.
 
Well folks, here's what my knees look like exactly one month post op. AND - I swear I was over 80 ROM when I did bike and stretches this morning, even hubby stopped and was like, "WOW!"

[Bonesmart.org] Blue's BTKR and BMUA Recovery Journey
 
Wow! Your knees look awesome! I can't believe how little swelling you have! WTG on the ROM too! See? Things can just turn around at any moment. Keep up the great work!!!
 
Hee hee, you can probably still see the dimples left from my icing cuffs - I've been icing since about 0930. Thank you! I start outpatient PT this Friday and am already rehearsing exactly what I will explain to them about MY perspective of what our relationship is going to be. Between now and then, I'll continue on the bike and doing the gentle stretches that I have been doing.
 
I think you'll really like outpatient PT and hopefully you'll get a great therapist who 'gets' it. It's amazing how much the group atmosphere with other people to root you on/empathize with you will help! I actually look forward to my PT sessions! You're doing just the right things ~ the bike is great for warming up your knee and getting it to work without overdoing it.
 
Pretty uneventful day today. Hubby had to travel for work, so I've been on my own all day. I took the bull by the horns and did a little laundry then wiped my wall oven out (sitting down while wiping, of course). It's utterly amazing how these simple tasks can flat wear a person out right now! I went back and forth to clean my oven about six times before I was finished, and it only had a couple of drips in the bottom from an ill-fated attempted brownie bake for Super Bowl. I thought I'd bake a Mississippi Mud Cake to take to the party, and have no clue what happened but it ran over the pan, all in the bottom of the oven, and tasted simply AWFUL - it ended up dumped in the trash. I haven't did that poor of a bake job since I was a teenager, hubby was stunned. He said it had to be the drugs, that I messed the ingredients up, and I'm like, yeah, that sounds reasonable to me!

I'm debating about trying a little drive tomorrow, of course without being on any narcotic drugs. I have a large SUV that's easy to slide in and out of, and is an automatic. I live in a very small cul de sac with a total of 23 homes in two little loops. I thought of trying to go to the back loop and see how it feels (braking and all). As far as muscle and joint control, I really have no concerns with that, I'm sure I'd be able to brake and accelerate as needed. But, I'm thinking a trial run may be what's needed before actually striking out anywhere. I'm fortunate because there's lots of stuff literally within 5 minutes of me, so the initial trips would be quite short. I don't know, I'll sleep on it and see how the idea feels in the morning. If nothing else, it'll show me that driving is yet something else I just need to wait a bit on. I just feel so darned stranded and isolated!! Hubby would take me anywhere I'd want to go, but it's not the same as just having the independence and ability to go myself. When hubby called tonight I mentioned the idea to him and he thought it'd be fine as long as I wasn't on the pain meds.
 
Ahhhh @Bluetechseeker , I totally feel for your stir crazy feelings and feeling totally isolated without your husband (I've done this, only a single TKR though, pretty much totally on my own). It's great that you're ready to give driving a shot, but if this is going to be your 1st time behind the wheel since your BTKR, PLEASE wait until you have a co-pilot with you just in case. I'm sure you'll do great, but I would absolutely errr on the side of caution with this. It's weird new angles for your leg and knee and might be a bit uncomfortable at 1st.
 
I drove!!!!! Waited till hubby was home so he could co-pilot, then went on short trip to drugstore about 2 miles from home. WOW was it great to just stroll around the store for a minute, hubby's like, ohhhh you're mobile now!

Progress, yep it feels good :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom