TKR Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

I slept terrible last night, lots of pain and now a reminder of how important It is to be patient and take recovery VERY slow. Bonesmart methods are also a teaching in Mindful Living - being ok with and living in the moment rather than looking ahead. Yesterday was a good day but then I did too much. Today's plan, more icing, resting and gratitude.
 
I think this is why this is called a 'rollercoaster ride' recovery. One day good, the next day bad. On the good days we think we're over the hurdle and do too much. Then we suffer because of it for a few days. Following the daily activity guide is what helped me best to stay more even keeled. I think we have all done it, but it doesn't take too many times to learn what not to do.
 
Last 2 days have been much better. I am 2 weeks from surgery today, I slept very well last 2 nights, slept through pain meds and feel like a new person today. I've been able to do light exercises and
get up and move more around the house without pain. However, I have not let up on icing, elevating and rest.
I see salsa dancing in my near future
 
How blessed you are to be able to sleep. I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. Remember to not overdo. Your knee is an infant and it doesn't take hardly anything to make it angry and then you pay for it! Great that you are icing and elevating! You are definitely on the right road.
 
How do I find all the recovery charts? I've seen them in posts sent out by the moderators, but now can't seem to locate them.
Thanks
 
Your recovery guidelines are on your page one, #2 post. If you can't find them let me know and I'll post them again for you.
 
They're all in your own thread, Page 1, Post#2.

However, here they are again:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs


The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Hi all, I have turned a corner at 2 and a 1/2 weeks. My routine is working, still prioritizing rest, ice and elevation but now more time between meds - so less meds, less swelling and therefore when I walk with walker I am able to put full weight on new knee. My blood clot treatment is going well but still need to have blood work 2x a week, I'll be glad when that's done. All I can say again is thanks to Bonesmart - I look at the site a couple times a day and it validates my experience and gives me the patience to manage this recovery. To all my fellow TKR's - hang in there, be gentle and patient.
 
Patience. Man, that's not ever been one of my strong suits. I'm on day 4 and already dreading yet another long, boring day of inactivity and pain when I move about. Sigh.

But we'll get there!
 
Patience and gentle knee treatment is certainly the key! You are doing well to be able to cut down so early in your recovery. I know you'll be glad when that blood clot is gone, along with your 2x week visit! Keep up your good work!
 
Ok I'm off to my first PT class since surgery. My ROM is not good and I expect they will not be happy with it. I have been walking much more at home, feel stronger and have better balance. My last knee surgery it took me awhile to get good ROM so I am expecting it to get better after the swelling subsides. I am icing now before my ride comes, wish me luck.
Hope my April folks are feeling better every day!
 
My 1st PT appt was fantastic. The therapist was gentle and let me decide what I could do, she was very supportive and encouraging. At 3 weeks (tomorrow) post surgery my ROM was 78. Mainly it felt good to be moving today. Now I am home icing and elevating. For those of you in your 1st or 2nd week post surgery - hang in there, you'll be feeling better very soon.
Peace, Marc
 
Hang on to that therapist! You are blessed to have a good one!
 
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm having an awful, awful day 6 over here and regretting every choice I've ever made in my life that led me to this point. Lol. Including, but not limited to the three loud children bouncing around my bedroom.

I'll just hang onto your encouraging words.
 
Huge HUGS adding you to my prayers I am new but can tell you this off and on well not well thing can be a bummer for us ....
 
Including, but not limited to the three loud children bouncing around my bedroom.
Send them out. They need to learn some consideration for someone who is not feeling well.

It's your job to rest, ice and elevate, not to look after kids. You need peace and quiet.
 
Can't you find someone to handle those children? You need your rest!
 
Now we've "evicted" Jenn's children, please can we bring this thread back to sporti9's knee and his recovery?
Thank you.
 
Back
Top Bottom