Guest viewing is limited

TKR Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

Have more pain at night and need to take extra pain meds to sleep. Those of you familiar with meds,is my current dosage reasonable? Too much? I am still on 1 dilaudid 2mg every 3hrs during day and up to 4 mg at night which helps quite a bit. Damn I forgot how painful this surgery is - when will I feel less pain? (one week out now from surgery date)
Thanks for any advice, marc
 
I suspect your pain meds aren't adequate at the moment and you need to get changed to something else.
 
If I take 2, 2mg dilaudid every 3-4 hours I feel much better - pain is 2 to 3 very tolerable. Should I just stay on that dose round the clock for now? I initially was on Oxycodone and felt terrible on it so they switched me to dilaudid in the hospital.
 
Much BETTER day today. Had PT evaluation yesterday and pain was up all day after that appointment. Medication for blood clot requires blood work every 2 days, so far treatment for that is going well. Thanks all for your support. Hope all my fellow TKR's are doing well today.
Thanks, Marc
 
If I take 2, 2mg dilaudid every 3-4 hours I feel much better - pain is 2 to 3 very tolerable. Should I just stay on that dose round the clock for now?
If that's the dose prescribed, then yes, keep taking it around the clock. It's too early to be cutting back on your pain medications.
 
Wow Marc! Sounds like you have had a time of it! It is difficult to keep the pain under control but when you find the right combination,take it religiously! Hard lesson for me. I take Hydrocodone 7.5 mg every 5 hrs and Tramadol 50 mugs x2 tablets every 5 hrs so I am taking something every 2.5 hrs. I hope you can get your swelling down soon. Having the same issue. Hang in there!
 
Marc, Hope each day is a bit better for you. You have had a rough start to your recovery! I pray tomorrow is another good day for you.
 
Yesterday was a painful one but I managed by keeping things simple and remembering it's only 10 days since surgery. I do tend to play with my meds, meaning wait longer, take less etc. I'm not doing that today and no surprise my pain in much more manageable. Due to blood clot I need to go to lab for blood work 2x a week, I just went today (Friday) and it felt good to move, get fresh air and see spring. Pain is at a good level today.
Have a peaceful day my fellow TKR's, take your meds and remember this is all temporary. We will all be dancing again soon.
Marc
 
It is better to stay on a med schedule in the first few weeks of recovery. The fact that you were feeling the pain means your body isn't ready to cut back yet.
 
Wow, the blood clot sounds awful. No wonder your pain meds didn't have much effect.

Sorry you had to go back to hospital. Hope the clot shrinks quickly and completely. I'm glad you are able to manage your pain better now. Keeping on schedule works for me and hope it does for you too. Don't get behind the pain. Your knee is brand new.

All my best!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

This guy is a big help.
Showing my empty hands to Milo, "no I don't have treats for you" he needs to see my hands to believe me.
Good night all, pleasant dreams.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[Bonesmart.org] Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery [Bonesmart.org] Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery My pets have been so important to my recovery. Having a better night, taking pain meds every 3-4 hours round the clock and pain is down enough that I may be able to get a good night sleep.
Night all
 
Hope you got some good sleep! My two cats have been my constant companions as well, and it's been very comforting to have them near. They don't always get along that well, but they've called a temporary truce these last few weeks and will spend time in the same room so long as I'm there as well.
 
Your pup and kitty are adorable! It looks like they take their recovery duties very seriously. I will speak up for your doggy and take his side on the treat delivery. I suggest you increase the amount and frequency of the treats to your devoted doggy-nurse. As for your kitty, that napping is very restorative. Tell him/her to keep up the good work.:heehee:

What are your pets names? I think we all should be on a first name basis.
 
Hi Kayte, how are you doing? Milo is the corgi and Peanut is the tabby. Milo is devoted to keeping all crumbs off the floor and Peanut is always up for a snuggle.
I had a very good day and actually was able to put full weight on my knee earlier in the day, it felt good and gave me my first glimpse of how things will improve/change in another week or so. I'm just following the BoneSmart way and it's working. I hope you are starting to feel better.
Best Marc
 
I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better.
 
Keep looking for those little changes in this first month. Good for you!
 
Back
Top Bottom