TKR Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

Interesting article. I had debated whether to go to a rehab facility after my surgery since I'm alone. Instead, I came home and am glad I did! I had a neighbor get my meds for me and any perishable items I needed. She also sat by while I took my first couple of showers. Other than that, I was by myself. It wasn't bad at all. I had prepared ahead of time. Being alone, I could eat and sleep whenever I wanted to without feeling guilty or worrying about somebody worrying about me! If you follow the BS guidelines, your recovery will be much better than if you don't!
 
Here in NZ, we don't have rehab facilities, or at home follow ups.

We stay in hospital for about 5 days, until we can self-mobilise and shower, and then we go home.
If our surgeon allows it, we do a few, gentle exercises that we have been shown in hospital. We don't start out-patient PT until about a month post-op - and we get good results.
 
Cele that sounds like good patient care. Both times I was sent home before my pain was well managed. A 5 day stay gives you that time. Was your pain well managed by the time you got home?
 
Yes, my pain was well managed. I was able to be in hospital when the nerve blocks wore off and pain usually increases. That was handled well too, as my pain medications were increased at that time.

I actually experienced very little severe pain at any stage of my recovery.
 
My pain level is way down, swelling is way down due to persistent icing and elevating. I've been taking dilaudid 4mg every 5 hours but today switched to tramadol - pain is well managed and I feel less groggy. Today is 3 weeks from surgery.
 
What a good report! You are doing something right!
 
Oh, dear! I had to go to the ER Monday to get scanned for one, but fortunately there was nothing. Just lots of bruising. I know another patient on here had the same condition you have/had. I hope you are doing better now!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm doing great now, but need reassurance that I will regain ROM. I'm 3 weeks from surgery and ROM is only 78. Otherwise, I've been walking more, doing dishes and making small meals. Should I be worried about my lack of ROM?
 
Not at all, 78 at three weeks is fine. Just be sure you're balancing new activity with elevating/icing. Many see ROM improvements in month 2, so your time is coming.
 
It sounds like you're pretty active for just 3 weeks. Swelling comes from activity that your knee isn't ready for. That swelling causes less ROM. I suggest you cut back a bit for a couple of weeks and that swelling should come down.
 
Have pretty bad bruise on back of calf, the area is hard and tender. Should I be concerned? My blood clot was in the same area and my treatment for that appears to be going well. Still have labs twice a week to check anticoagulants, but after this week it'll only be 1x week until Oct.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ice on the back of you knee will help with pain and swelling. Glad it is feeling softer, you may have over done it.
 
Just got back from PT and sure enough they wanted me to push on my knee or put weights on it to improve extension. I didn't let them. At 4 weeks post op my extension is 4 and rom is 83, last week it was 7 and 78. I was able to rotate on the bicycle today which made me happy as I have been bicycling to work during fair weather months for many years. Very sore now so have been icing and elevating for an hour.
 
Good for you for holding your ground with PT! Also congrats on the rotation on the bike. That's gotta be motivating!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom