Guest viewing is limited

TKR Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

Woods and nature walks have very uneven ground. You knee won't like that at all. Make sure you have lots of ice with you, and your meds. My first hike on uneven ground left me extremely sore. Please pace yourself! But, have lots of fun!
 
Just a few tips about heading into the woods; take a cane or walking stick with uneven ground and set your phone for half the time you think you should be out and turn around with the timer goes off. Don't walk and walk because it doesn't hurt at the moment, you may pay for it that night or next day and you don't want to ruin the weekend. A couple short hikes is better than one long hike. I hope you're in an RV or cabin and not a tent.
 
Thanks for the good advice Sister and Karri and that is exactly what I'm gonna do, take it very easy and keep it simple. My job is to make pancakes sat morning and that's it. We have a VW van to sleep in and got my ski poles ready.
 
Hi all, had a good weekend hope you all did too. I've been having mild numbness in my left foot and toes on and off for past couple weeks. Has anyone else experienced this after TKR? No tingling or needles just numbness. Wondering if it's nerve related or circulation, though I have not had any swelling in ankle area.
Thanks, Marc
 
I had sporadic numbness in my tkr foot. Nothing bad, just a little noticeable. Are your toes warm and still have color? If not, I'd call your doctor, if I were you, just to be sure everything's OK.
 
Yes toes are warm and have color. Numbness is much less this morning, guess I needed to rest.
Thanks Marc
 
sporti9...just read your thread and happy to hear you're doing so much better. in one of your posts, you mentioned that you didn't allow the physiotherapist to push on your knee or add weights; just wondering if the therapist asks first before touching your knee? i'll be facing that situation soon and want to be prepared.
 
Sometimes that just come at you and get ready to grab your leg. Just firmly say, "No!", and tell them you will do it yourself. If they touch you after that, then it's assault. And tell them so! Stick up for yourself. It's your knee and your say so. You don't even need to take PT, but if you choose to, you take total control of what's done to your knee and let them know you're in control. Remember that they are your employee and you are the employer! You are paying them. Not the other way around.
 
I agree with Sister, they mentioned it to me first so I was able to decline, I could tell they were not happy with my response but they respected my wishes. Good luck Liam
 
thank you sistersinhim and sporti9 ~ this is something new for me. will update after tomorrow.
 
After my tkr, later on that day the hospital's pt came to my room and had me sit on the edge of the bed with my legs bent. She reached for my leg and I told her "No!" that I would do what I could. She said she was going to tell on me, and I said to go ahead. Now, isn't that childish? At home, I had one visit from PT and she reached over to do the same thing, and I told her the same thing. She said she would report me for being non- compliant. Again, I said to go ahead. That was all the pt I had. I used my knee in my daily living. No exercises, except for the heal pumps my first week or two, to make sure my blood was moving! Oh, by the way, my OS never said a word about me not taking PT. I don't think he even knew. And he was very happy with my movements!

Just know that you do not have to do anything out of the ordinary to rehab your knee. Just use it as God intended it to be used, and you'll do just fine. And that's without the agony of aggressive therapy!
 
Well I'm at 2 months now, everything seems to be moving slowly forward but I've had more pain today. I'm guessing I've been doing too much. So my plan is to ice, elevate and rest - my current mantra. My struggle is that my last knee surgery was so much better than this one. At 2 months with last TKR i was off of pain meds, had very good ROM and therefore felt better overall. Wondering if other folks who've had 2 TKR's have had similar experiences?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've read many threads from individuals who've had totally opposite recoveries with their two knees. Every knee is different, literally. I'm hoping when I have my left it is totally different from my right!
 
My struggle is that my last knee surgery was so much better than this one. At 2 months with last TKR i was off of pain meds, had very good ROM and therefore felt better overall. Wondering if other folks who've had 2 TKR's have had similar experiences?
It's very common to have completely different recoveries. That's why we warn people not to compare.
It's quite possible that your second knee needed more work on it during surgery, and that's why it is more painful now.

It's not unusual to need pain medications for up to 4 months, so try not to worry about that, either. You will gradually cut down as your knee continues to heal.

And remember that complete recovery takes a full year. Where your knee is now is not where it will end up.
 
Hi all just checking in. At 10 weeks next Tuesday, I am stronger and feeling better overall. My ROM is better but still at 90-95 and my extension is 2-3 (not zero). I've been going to the gym using the recumbent bike and doing light weight upper body work. On the recumbent I can only rotate with my heal on the pedal rather than middle of foot. I have very little pain now and still elevate and ice 2x a day and more if needed. I'm happy with where I'm at but also wondering at what point should I consider MUA? I'd really like to avoid it but I also want to get back to bicycling to work and around town by maybe September. Hope everyone is making progress and having a good day.
 
Being able to rotate at all at 10 weeks is really good! It takes time for your knee to heal and for the swelling to go down. When that swelling is down, your ROM will increase. This surgery takes lots of patience in the year long recovery.
 
I was able to make full rotations by just lifting my hip a little bit. Eventually that wasn't necessary, so I think you'll soon be pedaling normally. I'd think you should definitely hold off for a few weeks. I gained ROM over a year after the TKR and my OS never mentioned an MUA.
 
I never took PT and all my OS wanted was to see how I could how bend and straighten. Never did he ever threaten a MUA.
 
Hi all, my knee is 12 weeks old tomorrow. My rom is about 100 and seems to be getting better slowly but surely. I'm able to rotate a bicycle if I bend my foot down a bit to give me more room, I try to do that every day. Still feels very weird and painful going down any stairs. I had a couple painful days and noted that I still need to elevate and ice at least 1-2x a day, did that yesterday and little pain today. How's everyone else doing that had surgery 10-12 weeks ago?
 
Sounds like you are doing great @sporti9! I'm at almost 10 weeks out and I can't walk downstairs at all yet except for one at a time. I try by going up on my toes but I look ridiculous. I still ice and elevate but just not as often.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom