TKR Blood clot in knee 2 days after surgery

Congratulations on doing a full rotation on the bike! :yay: :dancy:

Well done for continuing to refuse weights or pushing on your knee. You're making good progress with both flexion and extension. It's not unusual for full extension to take longer to achieve than flexion does, so don't worry about it.

No doubt, your PTs have an agenda for your knee to achieve certain numbers. Don't buy into that. Your knee has its own recovery agenda and it will achieve ROM at its own speed.

ROM, both flexion and extension, can continue to increase for a year or longer after a TKR. There's no need to rush, no deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
 
You've made progress! That's great! My first PTs put heat on my knee at 2 weeks to get extention. I didn't even think about it being bad for me knee and causing more swelling. Stick to your guns!
 
What a good job keeping that aggressive pt away! You don't need it, you're doing great! A full rotation is a huge step in this recovery! You are definitely on the mend!
 
Ok now feeling frustrated my ROM isn't at least 95 by now. Just need some reassurance from some late ROM bloomers that eventually I'll get there? Also getting bored of sitting much more then I like, I know it'll be worth it in the end to take it easy but I sure miss riding my bicycle.
Hope everyone else is doing well, marc
 
Ok now feeling frustrated my ROM isn't at least 95 by now. Just need some reassurance from some late ROM bloomers that eventually I'll get there?
It's only about 5 weeks since your TKR. You're not a late bloomer. My surgeon doesn't expect 90 degrees until about 6 weeks.

Your ROM is increasing slowly, as it should, and I have already told you that it can continue to improve for at least a year.

Is your PT therapist hassling you? It sounds like it. If so, try to ignore it.
 
This is what one member wrote about her progress with ROM (thank you, @Campervan):

92 -8 weeks post-op
105 -10 weeks
107 - 110 weeks
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
118 - 1 year


It took her a while but she got there, and so will you,
 
You are among good company in worrying about your ROM. But, it will come. Everyone seems to be worrying needlessly. You are still swollen, if not outside, surely inside. When all that swelling is gone, your knee will start to bend better. The more you work at it, the more it will swell and then your ROM decreases or doesn't improve. It's a domino effect. Try to just relax and doing daily activities according to the daily activity guide.
 
Thanks everyone, this is what makes Bonesmart so wonderful, nothing better than peer support and encouragement.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Finishing up week 6 and today my swelling is significantly reduced and knee is itchy. Took a nice walk and made brunch for my wife and a few other mom friends, it's been a good day. After going through something so painful and debilitating as TKR, I have great appreciation for the little/simple things in life again.
Happy Moms Day to all you wonderful moms out there, I hope someone is spoiling you today.
 
I'm happy to hear your swelling has diminished. That's more than half the battle!
 
And with the swelling coming down, that ROM will increase! It's all good!
 
It is the little things that matter...Glad you are progressing and the swelling is down :)
 
Swelling back today, guess i did too much, I know it's just the normal ups and downs. Just resting more today. PT called wants me back but they just push and put weights on my leg, I think I'll keep doing my exercises at home instead.
 
They should never put weights on you for ROM until at least 3 to 4 months out. You don't need to go back to PT. You can do the exercises at home and not hurt yourself!
 
Back to work today, only working 2 days this week and 4 next. I'm a social worker (in a primary care medical clinic) and see patients in my office sitting down. I was able to ice during the day and elevate at lunch time, but I was swollen and stiff when I got home. I've been icing and elevating all night and I'm off tomorrow so I'll take it easy. Wish I could have taken more time off but I just don't have the PTO hours.
 
Would you be able to prop the leg up at your desk somehow? Even if it's not elevated propping it up is better than letting your foot rest on the floor. The leg being down is in part causing the swelling/stiffness as well as the extra activity of getting ready, getting to work etc.
 
How much ROM do you need to ride a bicycle? Is it easier to ride a recumbent than a regular bike?
Thanks Marc
 
Hi all, just a quick update. I'm at 7.5 weeks and have had great improvement the past couple days. Swelling is down, ROM is at 95, I can stretch and ride bike without too much discomfort. I'm sharing to encourage newbies and preop folks to really follow Bonesmart advice. This is my second TKR and by following advice here and with ongoing support and encouragement, I feel like I am truly on the other side. Most important has been icing, elevating continuously and easy exercise without causing pain will help heal this terrible wound. Going camping with family/friends this weekend and looking forward to being in the woods - I'll try not to overdo.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom