Guest viewing is limited

PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Let's see,BJ, we had our surgeries on the same day. But, mine was not a total tka. I have finally put the crutches away, what a relief. I still have some hiking poles that I use when I walk the dog and yesterday I did ride in the cart at Costco!! Wow that store is huge.

Since our muscles are not fully back to normal I notice that it takes me forever to walk around. Kelly
 
I have an knapsack, good idea and beats kicking books along the floor. :)

Our knees really do dictate our speed of recovery...l If nothing more this is an exercise in patience and tolerance..... :biggrin:
 
Kelly, yes it takes forever to walk around. I must correct myself that I walk around the house, not when I go out. When I go out I take crutches. I also use crutches or walker or cane or whatever is handy at home when I tire out, or become very sore. And if I go in a store I drive a cart, I am not up for walking around any store.

Adnil, I am glad that you have a knapsack to carry your things around. Did you get a new mug today? This most certainly is an exercise in patience and tolerance...

Keep on keeping on!!!
 
Hi BJ,

I have been catching up with your thread and am glad that you are doing well.

I like the idea of a thread where people write of the things they do to give themselves a lift. I bought an expensive mountain bike this week as an early birthday present with the aim of being able to ride it in th near future!

My recovery is going great and i am back to work today. i had a heavy PT session yesterday and a little aching last night but still sleeping ok and no pain meds. Like you I walk without aids and PT has said this is ok. I found that using crutches/sticks encourages me to lean on them and increases my limp where walking without I concentrate on my gait and walking properly so walk without aids inside and out.

I look forward to reading about your continued recovery.
 
Hi Noddy, it is good to hear from you. Sounds like you are doing great. I am still on my Percocet and realize when I go past time to take one that I definitely still need them. Hopefully that will change in the near future.

You are back to work, wow! Hopefully you will not overdo it, but I bet feels good to be back to doing your regular things even if it is only part time. :yes 4:

Happy Birthday! I haven't started that thread about what we do as a pick-me-up but I think that I will go do that now. Please come on over and share about your new bike.
 
BJ, have you noticed that you are now giving the same advice to others as you were given in the beginning of your recovery?

When I see this I always smile and feel good---cause it means we're doing our job on the forum right.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted. We care.
 
I noticed that, Judy! How Josephine must weary of repeating the same old thing...but thanks Josephine for not giving up on us!
 
Yes Judy, I do notice that I am now sharing the same advice that was initially shared with me. It works. And I also need to remind myself from time to time because I keep catching myself overdoing it. :blush: It's OK, just get back to the basics I will remind myself , cause it works, as I lay down for a much needed rest with my leg in the air and ice on my knee...:thumb:
 
OUCH!!! It hurts! I am not sure what I did wrong. I can only guess. My knee/right leg aches severly, hurts, is driving me insane. I can't make it stop. I have taken two percocet, and it seems that I only took sugar cubes. I have iced and elevated and iced and elevated... I did go on the stationery bike again today and pedaled and it moved so much easier than last time, but I do not know if this is the reason or not. It is very swollen and extremely uncomfortable from the top to the toes... I just want it to stop and let me sleep!!! :cry:
 
I noticed that, Judy! How Josephine must weary of repeating the same old thing...but thanks Josephine for not giving up on us!

We never tire of helping people!!! But as Judy says, our greatest joy comes in watching members learn, get better and then go on to help others....so satisfying!!! Our BoneSmarties are GREAT!!!
 
((HUGS)))) to you BJ!
Did you have the oppressively humid weather we have been having this week? My knee was 'cranky' yesterday and I had PT; PT guy is great in that we did not do anything new or more- he listened to me telling him about my cranky knee.
I am wondering if it was the humidity causing maybe extra fluid buildup, yet I can't say I noticed extra swelling!
And right now, my daughter is having ACL repair, and I am just sitting here in the waiting area and my knee hurts- am debating whether it is time to take a percocet.
Just when we think it is smooth sailing......
Hope you feel better REAL SOON!
 
:console: Hope this glitch/ache passes quickly BJ Mac.Sometimes you get a weird day like that. I seemed sensitive to the weather early on...
 
So, on rethinking what I did yesterday I realized that I did some things that I guess I am not ready for. Now, I am down and feeling discouraged.:sigh:

How long? How long until I can do the things that I do in my life??? And will the doctor prescribe enough meds for me to be able to manage nights like last night when I wound up in so much pain that I could hardly stand it from overdoing it? And when will the pain go down enough to get off of these meds? And will I make it through this weekend, because I told my daughter that I will go to her horse show with her? Will I be able to enjoy myself at all, or will I wish that I had just stayed home? Will I just have to sit around like a lump and find a place to park myself and ice? OK, I am really, really down... :cry:
 
Oh BJ, you really are down. You're only a month out. My op was in January and I still have down days and pain. Again it's this thing called patience!
 
In the words of an old folk song--"Oh, when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn?"

BJ, just view this as a learning experience. Take a look at everything you did and realize that you will have to do a third less or a half less next time so you don't suffer for it.

I suggest that you rest, elevate, ice, and take meds--and do a minimum amount of anything so you are rested up for the weekend with your daughter. But I would be very careful in the future about promising what you may not be able to deliver--no matter how badly you want to. Also be sure to figure out ways to pamper your knee at the horse show.

When you feel good and think you can take on the world---you need to ratchet back and say "Whoaaaa! lady" and then decide what it is you can actually take on. You gotta crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run, and after that always run very carefully!

Get that chin up and put a smile on your face---you're gonna be all right!
 
Hi BJ

Hopefully by the time you read this you will have some relief from the pain of a :hissyfit: knee. I think that's the one thing we can count on that our knees will tell us when we overdo it and it's up to us to pull back a little.

I think we're in that stage of recovery where we can see so much improvement from 3 weeks ago that we tend to try to just get on with it and do the things we've been missing. We're sick of feeling like a burden and having to ask for help in managing the simplest of tasks. It's a drag to be sure. BUT...the good news is this new knee of ours is quite forgiving as long as we let it have it's tantrum,then baby it by extra rest, ice meds and TLC. You need a couple of days doing just that and concentrating on your recovery and absolutly nothing else. I couldn't imagine going to a horse show right now and having to deal with walking everywhere. But at the end of the day you know best what you can tolerate. It takes time. so sorry to hear how sad you're feeling here's a (((((((((hug)))))))))) I've been there and know that this will pass.
Take care and chin up girl... you are one strong woman....
I :thumb:
 
We never tire of helping people!!! But as Judy says, our greatest joy comes in watching members learn, get better and then go on to help others....so satisfying!!! Our BoneSmarties are GREAT!!!

The other day, I told a new someone to follow the advice we were giving her in HER thread. What I left unsaid was: "don't pay attention to what we say in our own threads! That's where we tend to fall apart ourselves!". :th_heehee:

BJ. Hugs to you. Remember, right now, you're investing in your future. The more patient you are now, the quicker and better the investment!
 
BJ, I had the exact same experience that you did when I was 4 weeks out with my ltkr. I had so much pain that when they told me it was from doing too much, I could hardly believe them!! I also spent an entire night in pain--I went to the orthopedic er the next day!!

Four weeks is a dangerous time--we feel much better and one of the reasons we feel better is that we are not doing a lot of things.

I really hope you decided not to go to the horse show today!! But, if you did spend tomorrow in bed with lots of icing and rest. Kelly
 
Sorry to hear about your setback, BJ! I keep forgetting that your surg. was 3 weeks after mine. I keep thinking we are in the same post-op state.
You are only 4 weeks out- just at the beginning of being able to do more, but it is a very tiring time. We feel like we are able to do basically anything, but it tires us quickly and hurts the next day.
Yesterday I sat in the hospital most of the day because my older daughter was having ACL repair. My knee was cranky yesterday-achy and all I was doing was sitting. I did take a percocet then, and then later ibuprofen, but really am hoping to just be able to work with ibuprofen only in the next few weeks. ANd today I am so tired yet I slept well. I don't get it!
If you go to the show this weekend, bring a cooler of ice, and a chair, and some pain meds, but be aware that you cannot be helping very much during the show. You will be mostly a spectator.
Good luck!
 
So, we made it to the show and I sat around there and am in bed now icing. All the other barn parents are very helpful. My daughter shows in the morning. I sat in the barn in a chair with my foot up after she rode her practice round this afternoon. I also got to watch one of the girls from our barn show.

The instructor pointed out a tent with chairs which is in between the rings that I will be able to sit under tomorrow. I figure if I have enough of the other girls and parents phone numbers I can call and get "served" or tended to tomorrow. I plan to take photos and sit... Hope that tomorrow goes well.

I also got thigh high hose for the occasion. My doc only had us use knee highs. I think this was a really good thing to get for this, to help keep the swelling in check.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom