PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Sorry not a recent photo, this is from the week following discharge, when my legs and feet were swollen. But how do I rate?

My toes have been stepped on so many time officiating football and basketball, and hit by foul balls (steel-toed shoes help very little!) that I have that gross and awful nail fungus. My feet are hideous!
 
What happened?? I went away for the afternoon and when I came back all the bone smart men have gone metro-sexual , taking pictures of their feet and groovin to Mozart..:loll:
 
Well....as far as men and pedicures......I must say that my hubby LOVES getting his!!! He goes once a month. I got him on that schedule because he is diabetic and he tended to let his toenails go too long. This way I know they get trimmed and Lisa does a really great foot check for me to be sure his poor ol' numb feet don't have any sores or cuts.

He looks forward to it, saying it is such a treat to have all that icky old skin removed and have a sweet young thing massage his tootsies. Sooooo......it IS something that guys can do as well as us gals!

But....he does draw the line at polish....NONE!!! He gives me "that look" when I jokingly suggest some clear might be nice.:hysterical:
 
And I think you did a wonderful job with some lighthearted posts!!! Mine was in fun also!
 
I was trying to cheer BJ Mac up.

Yes! You did indeed! It was fun to laugh and get my mind off my knee and imagine those 'ugly feet' with red polish on the nails.:hysterical: It never occured to me to do a pedi without nail polish. Thanks!:thumb:

I was actually thinking of starting a thread about what we each do as a 'pick-me-up' cause heaven knows we all need it in the course of this long drawn out recovery period.

BTW it was so beautiful out today that I was chomping at the bit to go biking... Patience! I reminded myself...
 
My back has been feeling a bit better each day this week, although it is still stiff and I am having trouble with some movement. Overall I am no longer in severe pain with it.:yay:

My knee was feeling pretty decent yesterday, but by last night I was having pain while walking and had to abandon one of my exercises because of the pain. This morning it is stiff and achy and I don't want to get out of bed with it...
 
:flowerysmile:Good Morning, BJ! I hope you get out of bed to enjoy this gorgeous day! I hope you are having the glorious weather we have been having this last week!
I was thinking of my visit with my OS this past Thursday, and how he told me that the swelling could be random and continue for a year. My knee wasn't terribly swollen, but was worse than usual because of my illness the day before. I truly can't think of another surgery, other than major organ transplant, where the recovery period really lasts so long, yet the pt doesn't appear to be recovering. (Does that make sense?) I mean, it is just like the 4th week after surg. when we all start looking better, and we of course feel better than that immediate 3 week post-op period, but we are still in a MAJOR period of recovery, yet the sympathy level of the family goes down (because we don't look sick), yet we are still in pain.
I know I am rambling, got to get a 2nd cup of coffee!
Have a good day! :flowerysmile:
 
Morning all,

I agree this is a long recovery for sure. Hopefully there is a hump we'll go over and the pain will subside thrn we will just go on about our lives while we get all better. Fingers crossed.

Jancat a cup of coffee sounds so good but I can't get it back to my bed...it's too early to get up....unless I somehow balance it on my head. I need both hands for my walker.....hmmmmm maybe I'll get the hub to set me up the coffee pot beside the recliner haha just what I need right within arms reach, a big pot of caffine..:rolleyespink: :hysterical:
 


BTW it was so beautiful out today that I was chomping at the bit to go biking... Patience! I reminded myself...

Hey BJ I was so bummed out last night, my partner and buddies all went mountain biking, which I encouraged, but I was in tears thinking about how long it would be for me. I'm kind of struggling with my usual, happy self.
 
Yes Jancat, I did get out of bed and actually went to church for the first time since surgery. I got a chair to prop my leg up there and did not stand when others did... Then I let my kids take me to lunch and we sat outside at a restaurant and enjoyed the beautiful day...(leg up again) This doesn't seem like "doing" much in my normal life, but at just under 4 weeks post op it wears me out, so I am laying in bed with leg propped up and ice on it.

Adnil, I had visions of you walking with your coffee cup balanced on your head and got quite a laugh. :hysterical:Thanks for your good cheer this morning. I think that you need one of those cup holders for your walker.

Yes GearQueen, like you, I want those around me to go on doing the things they love, but it is soooo hard to not be out there with them. Don't be tooo hard on yourself for feeling bad and having a cry. :cry: It's OK, go head and be sad a while and then pick yourself back up and shake yourself off and remember that "later" we are going to be soooo glad that we got our new knees and waited patiently and took good care of ourselves during recovery.

Bev, I so like the idea of the travel mug to carry around your coffee or drink. Why haven't I thought of that? Oh yeah, I will blame it on the meds. :loll: Thanks for sharing that great idea! :thumb:
 
I love the idea of a coffee mug. Tomorrow we're going to town for a quick outing where I'll pick one up. We have to be inventive. Yesterday I wanted a book from the living room so I put it on the floor and gently prodded it all the way into the bedroom. Like they say 'where there's a will there's a way" :wink1:
 
Well, that is one way to get your book where you want it...:loll: I have one of my quilted bags strapped onto my walker and used that from the start to carry my laptop or book or waterbottle or whatever from room to room. I am walking around the house without my walker or crutches except when I am really tired or sore now though.

Getting a new mug sounds like a nice pick-me-up too! Have fun in town and don't overdo it. :dancy:
 
Adnil, LOL about the book!

I used a "musette" to carry my stuff around when I was using the walker. Had a hard time remembering not to open my Coke can until i was safely back in bed! Still use the musette!
 
Poosay, what the heck is a musette???? Never heard of it:DOH:

Wow, BJ I'm impressed. I have tried to take a few steps without my walker but my confidence isn't there yet. tomorrow I see the PT and I'll find out what I should be doing. I know you're a few days ahead of me and i can see now that every day brings changes. Today without giving it a thought I swung both legs over the bed and stood up. Once I realized what I had done I was pretty pleased. :thumb:
 
Yay Adnil, it sure is exciting that you just swung your legs over the side of the bed and got up. :yahoo:

I have been able to walk and such, but I am afraid that I have been overdoing things. My knee has been hurting more...

You are correct in that each day brings changes. I find it necessary to remind myself that each of us moves at the pace that our own knee dictates.

Keep up the good work and try not to overdo it!

Oh, btw, I googled musette, and apparently a ''musette bag" is like a knapsack.
 
Back
Top Bottom