PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Here is a picture of us in our instructor jackets that I had my brother take yesterday.

How cool and very impressive! And what a great family pic; how wonderful to share such a passion for life! First thing I noticed was the huge smile on your face.

Now when are you all going to have a special week long class to teach us TKR's? :heehee:
Oh, wait, you'd probably be more in hysterical laughter watching us attempt it, more like this..:rotfl:
 
Very Jealous you guys!
I had Elan's about 10 years ago and loved them. I'm sure the new ones are specacular!

I gave up skiing (Tele) about 5 years ago d/t knee pain.
I haven't been back out (long story, I think you know that), but up in NH they are getting pounded in the mts, and we will be heading out tomorrow.
I plan to (try) XC in the woods behind the house. I might pull out the snowshoes!!
This dumping should form some great ice to climbs (never giving up on that).
I'm a bit nervous to do downhill anymore, considering I've been off skis for so long. I do not have the blessing of any of my Doc's to downhill. Darn....I'd sneak off and give it a try anyway.
I'm so proud of you, BJ. Congratulations!
Be safe and don't get hurt!
Sandy
 
Thanks Elisea!

Yep, I love having a job where I get to play out in the snow and teach something that I love. Hence, lots of smiling. Oh yeah, and doing it with 3 out of 4 of my kids... Priceless!!! I am still itching to get back on my snowboard. I have now taught my first official ski lessons and one of the younger instructors asked how I like teaching skiing (last year I taught snowboarding). I told her that I love teaching. The jury is still out as to whether I enjoy teaching skiing as much as I enjoyed teaching snowboarding, but I do love being out there. :happydance:

Well, It would be a blast to get a bunch of bonesmarties together and teach you all to ski, and for a whole week. Wow!!! That would be super fun, and if I wound up laughing all the better since laughter is the best medicine. :)
 
Sandy, yes the new Elans are great. My last pair of skis was at least 25 years old, since I switched to snowboarding primarily 14 years ago... and of course being the mom and having kids outgrowing skis and snowboards they were always the ones getting new / new-used equipment... not me.

I hope that you have fun xc in the woods and possibly snowshoeing (I have never tried either of those things, hmmm maybe I will have to add those to my bucket list)

When I asked my surgeon how to best protect my knee when I go out skiing and snowboarding he told me not to go out... He also told me not to fall... lol... He did tell me not to fall on my knee, which will happen on a board. I tried on knee pads the other day and bought some for when I put on my snowboard and go out. I was going to do it yesterday, but the roads were so bad and it took us too long to get to the mts, so I didn't get to go out and board and today I had to work. I will get back on my board sooner or later, with or without his blessing. I mean, really, he wants me to just be happy with walking. I had this knee done so I could go out and do the things that I do.

Thanks! I will be as safe as I can. Let me know how your day in the snow goes. Have fun!
 
Love your picture...! Have fun with the new snow there. We are suppose to get up to 25-35 cms of the white stuff today. Yay kiddies will get to go sledding! Have a very Happy New Year and hope that a lot of good things come to you in 2013.
 
BJ, what a beautiful family! The smile on your face says it all! You are definitely a little daredevil! You are so right about being able to do what you love to do, that's why you got your knee fixed. You certainly wouldn't be happy just sitting and walking! I envy your passion for skiing! :thumb: Have fun, life's to short for anything else!
 
Thanks Tessa, I had a great time out in the snow today. I hope that your kids get to have lots of fun in your snow. Happy New Year and may you have many good things come to you in 2013 as well.

Thanks Jacky, I am having a blast. The weather was perfect. The trees were all covered in snow this morning, beautiful!!! Lots of lessons today and all of my students did great. I even got to teach a young woman to ski whom I taught to snowboard last year. :happydance: We had a great time visiting again. I also got to talk to a man that I taught to board last year. I was busy almost all day. At the 3:00 lineup they needed a snowboard instructor because all of them were busy so about 4 of the ski instructors were trying to talk me into getting my board on and teaching the lesson. I have not yet been back on my board, and my board and boots were at home and not in the locker room... so the boarder had to wait for one of the other board instructors to finish their lesson.

Thanks Janet, it is such a treat to work on the slopes and point out my children, as they teach, to my students. (proud mama) :)
 
You go girl! You worked hard to get there and you earned it! :thumb:

I wish you the best in health and happiness in the New Year my BoneSmartie friend! :friends:
 
Well, we are supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow today in the mountains and my kids and I will be heading up later today to teach the rest of this week and next. Here is a picture of us in our instructor jackets that I had my brother take yesterday.

[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
BJ, you and your family are a great bunch! So happy to be skiing again and I am so proud of you! :happydance: I will ski by next year! :happydance:
 
I guess that snowboarding does increase the probability of falling directly on the knees.

I tried snowboarding a few times, and ended up bruised on my bum and both knees. I'm great at making right turns, but just couldn't get the hang of pulling a left. I am much more comfortable on skis. I know my Doc's have all told me not to ski downhill anymore, but I had already moved on. Still, we are in NH and are within sight of a ski area, so I do admit to pangs of jealousy...

XC is very very different. If you like speed and the challenge of defying gravity in the bumps, then you may not like it. I have had to move into a new frame of mind.
The imortant thing is being out there in the snow and breathing the crisp chilly air with the family, having fun!

Have a great time and don't fall...lol
Sandy
 
Hi all. I am once again icing and elevating. It was a long and tiring day today on the slopes. Lots of lessons with little people... I was teaching a 5 year old today and she can make nice turns and ride the lift and we had a great time. At the end of our lesson she got going too fast on a steepish section and wiped out. When I skied down and made a quick turn right below her to help with her skis I wiped out as well. We had so much trouble getting her skis back on and she kept dissolving into a giggle fit. We were both laying on the ground laughing and the ski patrol came to see if we were ok as we got our skis back on. I told him that we were fine, and he said we looked awfully comfortable laying there. I told him that we were just laughing and enjoying ourselves... :rotfl: We were quite literally rolling on the snow laughing... I had the best time with her and she is my granddaughter's age and I couldn't help think of her while I worked with little Maria.

I am thankful to be off tomorrow and I desperately need my day of rest.
 
I am so glad to see you out doing what you love again! That in itself is priceless! :happydance:
 
That's awesome BJ, for you to be back on the hill and doing as Sonja said, what you love. I bet that was so much fun with the little 5 year old...I will send you my 3 yr old and get him all ready for next years ski season...:yes::wink:!

Does it scare you when you wipe out? I am a little worried about slipping and falling on the snow right now that we have a wee bit.
 
Yay Sonja, see ya on the slopes next year!!!

Thanks Marianne!!!

Sandy, yes snowboarding does increase the risk of falling directly on your knees. I am still looking for the best possible knee pads to protect my knees when I do go out and snowboard. I took my board and board boots to work and put them in the locker room. I was so tired and sore by the end of the day that I had no desire whatsoever to go out and try boarding... My skiing instead of boarding is my concession to what I really love the most and at least I am outside in the snow. I will not do the bumps although the snow got quite bumpy and rough today...
 
No Tessa, it doesn't scare me when I wipe out cause I do not have time to think about it till I am down and little Maria and I laughed so much that it was truly the "best medicine"
 
I should have phrased that question differently....'does it make you more timid now with the new knee, when skiing?'
 
Yes, Tessa I think that it does make me more timid when I am skiing. Also, my confidence is not super high since I have been primarily snowboarding for the last 14 years. My confidence as a skier is a bit low at this point. I really want to get out and clinic with some of the best skiers to clean up and improve my skiing, but we will not be doing any clinics until "hell week" is over (Christmas / New Years week is pretty crazy around here). Yesterday was a bit tougher than the day before because of the ski conditions. Yesterday we had a lot of heavy snow that clumped and mounded making everything a bit bumpy, so by the end of the day bumping through the clumps and feeling very tired I was even more timid. I made it through, and although I am very sore I am extremely delighted that I do not work on Sundays and have a day of rest. I should be back at it on Monday. I am just laying here thinking how much easier on the knees snowboarding is, other than the falling part. If I can find the right pads I will be on my board and I think that it will be easier for me. Time will tell!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom