PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

BJ and Kelly...wow...you guys both have my philosophy on life as well. I didn't get both knees done to sit back and watch life go by, I am chomping at the bit to get out there and at it. I think downhill skiing this winter is out but I am hoping to get back to cross-country before the season ends. I love all the adrenaline sports, like when I say mountain biking I don't mean meandering along the side of a road but actually 'mountain biking'.

When I had the left pkr done back in May I tripped on a flattened card board box that I didn't see (it was dark) and I twisted my knee....well I have yet to hurt my knees down hill skiing (a broken thumb doesn't count here) :heehee: or mountain biking or ice climbing....I don't think it matters the activities you participate in there is always a potential to get injured but I don't think about that, I think of what I am going to try next, to grab on with both hands and enjoy it to the fullest.

My kids are even saying when the spring comes we are going hiking the big hills right mommy? Yep, we sure and next winter my now three yr old will be downhill skiing with mom, he will be a year behind is sister in doing this, she started at 3 (he will be 4) but we will do it. I can hardly wait...
 
JustmeT It is good to hear that you are 'one of us'. Yes, you will be out there living life and doing all of the things that you love.

If injuries happen we will deal with them. Strength training and endurance training are all important in getting us back to the level we love to be at. :cheers: By next spring you will probably be doing sooooo much. And here's to you skiing with your little ones next season too. It is so good to have all of that to look forward to. Be patient and try not to hurry ahead of what your knee is ready for. (That can be a really hard thing to do...) :)
 
Bj, I am certified in adaptive skiing--in three pin skiing and in sit ski. The biggest thing about the sit ski is that when you are skiing with a tether, you have to be opposite form the ski. Otherwise, it becomes a game of crack the whip.

We use lots of adaptive techniques when we have the Wounded Warriors. We usually have 8 or 9. They come the weekend of Winter Carnival---we have a parade and they are always in a float. We have a lot of community support. Each night a restaurant offers the WW a free dinner. We fill the rest of the restaurant up with supporters. It is very rewarding working with these men and women.

BJ did you get the message about ProKnees. They clamp onto the shins and keep your knee from contacting with the ground. My pt orders them for people. Kelly
 
Kelly, that is great that you are certified in adaptive skiing. What is three pin skiing? I can imagine how you might get whipped around if you were in the wrong place while skiing with a tether. I think that it would be very rewarding to work with the Wounded Warriors. That is wonderful that you honor them with a dinner and that they get to take part in the parade.

Yes, I think that I looked up ProKnees and wasn't sure which ones. It seems to me that there were choices... What does your pt order them for people to use them for? Kneeling with knee replacements? Actually falling on my knees still gives me pause... Thanks for the info. skigirl
 
I am going to ask my pt exactly what he orders. Here is what they do. You strap them onto your shins and they stick out about an inch or so. when you fall, or kneel on your knees, your knees do not touch the ground. The inch holds them off the ground and only your shins contact the ground. I think they are a great idea. They might feel bulky though. He got them for a guy who installed tile floors, so that he could continue to work.

Three pin skiing is for those with one leg. They have a leg on a ski and two poles with little skis at the end. You lean on the poles and they help you balance. I can ski from edge to edge on one ski--you can too, I am sure. Just take off one ski and ski down a beginner hill--edge to edge. Make wider, slower turns. The poles help give you direction.

I skied with a warrior with one leg for five days. I also skied with only one ski. At the end of the five days, I had to change my ski from one leg to the other about every 100 yards!!! Man was I tired!! But, he did learn to ski!!

He brought his wife and one of my friends taught her to ski. I would tell her an exercise and then she would come back and say, what is next? At the end of the day, she looked at me and said, "Wow, this looks like fun, but it is really a lot of work." My reply? "welcome to my life".
 
Thanks for asking your pt about the knee pads for me.

I will have to try skiing on one ski. I remember doing that once when I fell and wound up with a bad bone bruise when I was young. I had fallen and someone stopped and asked if I was OK. I told them I was, but once I got up I realized that I could put no weight on that leg. I skied all the way down on one leg and remember it being extremely hard. If that happened again knowing what I know now I might lay back down and summon help from someone else. Well maybe if I practice the one ski skiing it won't be as hard as it was then...

Well, I am impressed and amazed that you skied on one ski for 5 days I'll bet that you were exhausted, but what an accomplishment, Wow!
 
BJ and Skigirl, I love your back and forth about skis and ski paraphernalia. Wish that was where I was going. I want to walk. Then hike. Then hike up mountains so I can swim in the lakes that are at the top of this climbs. I am getting better, little by little. No skiing in my future, but I'm hoping for some water, mountain, forest sports.
 
I totally understand that hope. When I hike in the spring, summer and fall---I fall in love with the beauty and it is such balm for the soul.
 
Today I am soooo sad. One of my dogs has died. She was very old, but she got hit by my car today as I pulled out of the driveway, and yes I was driving and I am sooo traumatized. I am not sure just what happened, but she died quickly.

She is the little one. Snowball was an American Eskimo, Misty is a Samoyed.

[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery [Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
Oh BJ I am so sorry. So hard to loose a much loved pet, but to accidentally run it over is even more difficult. I don't think there is anything I can say that will make it better. So big Hugs:sad:
 
Hi Jane, I hope that you walk and hike and hike to the top and then swim in the lakes at the top. Here's hoping that you will get to enjoy your water, mountain and forest sports before you know it.
 
BJ I am so sorry. I hadn't realized it was an accident in your other post. So traumatic. This is one of our fears, so hard to keep our pets out of harms way. It's obvious how much you loved your dogs from the photos. This could happen to anyone. My little yorky runs out when she can and I have to jump in my car to go get her sometimes so this is my worst fear because they are so fast and we can't see them. Please forgive yourself, I am sure that Snowball would not want you to suffer. Misty might need a new friend/playmate soon although I know it feels too early to even think about that but watch her for depression. My heart goes out to you and your family and Misty too. Such a sad story BJ. We are all holding our hairy friends closer tonight.
 
BJ, I was so sorry when I read your post. It is so hard to loose beloved pets---they fill a void in our lives---and when Griffin, our corgi died, Bob and I could not stand our clean, but quiet house!

BJ---when I was going through a divorce, I was a crazy woman. ONe day, as I was leaving the post office, I backed out too fast and hit a car driven by a woman who was backing out directly behind me. I could not believe that I was so careless---but I was. I was wrapped up in stress and misery. Try not to blame yourself too much---at least the dog did not suffer, God gave you a kindness there.

Instead, try to be kind to yourself for the next few days. Bob and I cried at the drop of the hat for about a week after Griffin died---we had to put away his toys and bed. I still have his collar in my studio. I still miss him----I have tears in my eyes as I write this post. He was warm and loving and a great part of our lives.

When I was living in Michigan, we had a carriage house which was rented out. I was driving a huge station wagon--it had its own zip code. I had four kids with me that day. I opened one door, put a kid in, buckled the car seat, closed the door. Then, around to the other side, open car seat, close. Two of the kids got into the far back--had to open the rear door--buckle them in. Finally, I opened my door, got in and started forward. I felt a weird, bump---and looked back. I had run over the old dog of our tenant! In front of all the kids!! How had that dog stayed under my car through out all the hoopla without getting up? To top it off, the tenant did not believe me---he said I just ran over the dog--that he never went under cars. I had to get out, take the dog to a vet---he did live, which was lucky for me since all four kids were crying their eyes out. I felt horrible. And, when the tenant was screaming at me that he was sure the dog was not under the car----I almost began to doubt myself. yes, I was distracted, yes kids are my priority. He could not accept the fact that accidents happen---and they are not always anyone's "fault".

Wow, BJ, I have not thought of this incident in years---but I also remember all so well, that sickening thump and the realization that I had run over something or someone. It was the worst feeling---I sat there knowing that I was rushing around, that my mind was going in 20 different directions, that I had been so anxious to get everyone in---etc, etc.

But really, who looks under their car? I have never done it before or since. Accidents happen----dogs die----we suffer. I can imagine the pain you are in right now and I can only offer you my most heartfelt sympathy at this difficult time. Love, Kelly
 
Thank-you so much Debbie, Rose, Marianne and Kelly. My little Snowball was 15. She was slowing down and dwindling away and loosing her hearing and vision. We were expecting her to pass soon, or perhaps having to even put her down. I do not have any idea how this happened but I was left to watch her have a seizure and die. It was horrid.

I had to dig up pictures from when I had taken a photography course in 2007. I knew that I had some nice photos, and I desperately needed to "renew my mind". I couldn't help but think of a small bit of scripture that speaks about renewing your mind. After that tragedy and having that picture in my mind I knew that I must find something to "replace" that horrid 'picture' of what had happened. So, I went and dug up these photos and emailed them to myself so that I could pull them up on my phone and look at my happy little dog.

Kelly, I do not think that anyone looks under their car. That must have been awful, when you ran over that dog. I will forgive myself and continue to show myself a good picture every time I need to.

My Misty is sad and keeps looking for Snowball. I took her with me when I had to go get a repair estimate on my car (my daughter had her first fender bender on Saturday). I also took Misty to the barn with us. She met Prince for the first time, and thought that he was big and scary. He was interested in her though.

[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
Oh, BJ, I am so sorry! I can imagine how sad and traumatized you are. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have been through so much. I hope that 2013 brings you nothing but happiness! Much love!
 
I'm sorry that you lost one of your best friends, and in such a difficult way. I've lost 2 this year, and I still cry over them. I do take comfort in that I believe that they're no longer suffering from arthritis, old age and other ailments and are running their hearts out in doggie heaven. There, your Snowball can see & hear perfectly and move like a new puppy once again. :)
 
Kelly, I am wondering if you have a recommendation for a good pair of warm winter walking boots. I have only had warm boots in the past, not something that is good for my feet for a long winter walk. I am thinking that I want to get off my treadmill in the winter and take Misty for nice long winter walks now that she doesn't have her companion to run and play with anymore. I think it will do us both some good, but I know the importance of appropriate foot gear and thought you may have some good recommendations. Thanks! skigirl
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom