PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Hi Elisea, no, no skiing yet. I did buy my new skis and boots and have been working out trying not to progress too quickly and overdo it. I am seeing my muscle tone come up and it is sooooo exciting.

I did have a setback last week though. I walked into the bathroom to get something and there was a bit of water on the ceramic tile floor. I slipped and fell, coming down hard on my non-operated on knee. It hurt lots and my phone which I was carrying was trashed.
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery

I went to the Chiropractor that afternoon and he set everything to rights, but I have been quite sore. Then I went to get my phone replaced.

I will continue working out and building muscles up so that I can get out and ski and snowboard this winter. Thanks for asking. :)
 
I am looking forward to starting my "Photographing People" class that starts this week. These are two of my favorite people to photograph!

[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
My goal is to be skiing either at the end of this season or the start of the next one....I can hardly wait!:egypdance: BJ, what type of work out routine are you doing to get back in shape for skiing?
 
Bj what skis and boots did you end up getting? I got Dalbello Chakra's and the Amphibio with a 78 waist and an Amphibio with an 88 waist plus a park and pipe ski called Delerium!!! Kelly
 
Kelly, I ordered the Dalbello Mantis 10 boots and the Amphibio Inspire skis. I got the 152 length. I am looking forward to getting them and trying them out.
 
Oh, you will love the Inspire---I skied it three times last year and I was ready to buy it the first day!! I think it will be a perfect skis for you. I also think the length is a good length for your first year back to skiing---in two years, you can decide to get a longer ski if you want to. I love the Mantis, but I have skinny feet (oh, no, it could not be my hips---Noooo it had to be my feet!!!). So, I am wearing the chakra II. We will have to ski together!! Kelly
 
Nice, I would love to ski together. I will have to keep working out and knock the rust off before I do too much though. I have only skied randomly in the last few years. I am getting excited and really do hope that I am up for it. My boss is trying to get me to work the desk. I really do not want to sit inside if I can be out "playing in the snow."

I have an appointment tomorrow with my OS and the other surgeon he had scheduled to meet and possibly do an arthroscopic surgery to see why it wasn't progressing very well. It has since begun to finally move in the right direction so I believe that I will be telling them that I want to hold off on any surgery, exploratory or otherwise for now and continue to work with it now that it seems to be moving in the right direction.
 
Good idea, if you have surgery now, you will have trouble skiing. Those desk jobs are so stressful--and you never make a good salary. If you need a job, you can find a better paying one than that!! K
 
Seriously Kelly, the last place I want to be sitting at a desk is at the ski resort where so many are out playing in the snow. That would only emphasize the fact that I wasn't out there with them. And it sure as heck doesn't pay that good...
 
So, I saw the OS today, but the arthroscopic surgeon was a no show because of some board meeting. I told the OS that I have finally seemed to turn the corner and be progressing in the right direction. He agreed that that being the case we do not want to do any surgery. So I told him that I was going to ski and snowboard and I asked him how I can best protect my knee while doing that. He said, "Don't do it!" I told him, "With all due respect you haven't answered the question that I asked." I once again told him that I was going to ski and snowboard and repeated my question. He said that he would give me a brace that could help protect the joint. The brace man came into the room and I told him what I was doing and he said hold on this is not what you want and went to get a different brace. He showed me how to use it and once it was on I pulled my feet onto the table and proceeded to stand up on the table as I would on my snowboard. He looked a bit surprised and held his arms forward as though he would need to catch me. I sat back down and said, "that will do!" He said that he either works with athletes or knee replacement patients and was pleased to see a knee replacement patient that was going to go out there and do those things. He wished me well and told me that in a year I would probably have to replace the brace.

On the way out I told the surgeon and his PA to come up and get a snowboard lesson this winter. The PA said that he would be up in February. :happydance:
 
what is the name of the brace? And I agree that your doc was not being reasonable. K
 
what is the name of the brace? And I agree that your doc was not being reasonable. K
hi - i've been reading the posts about skiing and biking - both of which i want to do again asap - do we need to wear braces to ski? is it precautionary or?also, just curious - i had my tkr sept 24th and can't imagine doing any skiing yet - is there a time frame most people can fit into for being able to ride or ski or is it just depending on personal recovery? thanks!
 
Kelly, the brace is a Roadrunner by Breg. I remember you had mentioned a long while ago something with padding on the shin that may protect my knee when I fall on my snowboard. Did you ever find out any more about that? I figured I might as well take whatever brace my OS was offering as the insurance should be covering it at this point.

Debbie, Thanks! I do intend to be careful. Nope, no bubble wrap...

Micha, Yes, the brace is just precautionary. Hopefully just an extra layer of something to help prevent injury... I would say a little too early for you to ski, but hopefully you will be good to go next season. I would say it depends on personal recovery, but I wouldn't expect to do something like that before 6 months at the earliest. Oh, btw, my OS told me not to fall on my knee while boarding...lol
 
Thanks BJ - I was sort of hoping I could go locally maybe for Spring skiing - but don't want to do anything stupid. I think I will know by whether or not I am on my bicycles going strong by then - that should help me know. Your OS is funny - with advice like that how did we ever end up injuring ourselves in the first place lol! I'll keep an eye out for rprotection type braces - good idea. Could you tell me how to have your KR little sentence show up in your posts? or do you type it everytime? Thanks! :umm:LTKR Sept. 24, 2012
 
micha. go to the top of this page, hover over your name and it should bring up a list for you. Click on Signature, it should have a place there for you to put your signature in and save it. This is where I put

BJ
RPKR Monday April 23, 2012 :yes!:

so, go in there and give it a try... :) Let me know if you get stuck...
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom