PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

:loll: Chris, you made me laugh. It sounds like you have excellent advice and yet you won't take it yourself. Thank-you so much for sharing. Somehow it makes me feel better knowing that I am not alone, and you are right... It is dumb. Now how bout we stop this dumb behavior?

Well, easier said than done. But I say let's give it a serious try.

Thanks for your encouragement!!! :thankyou:
 
Well, you know who is giving you the advice, your partner in crime! :happydance:

I don't like to slow down much either, but I have found that listening to Chris and Katie about the knee brace being worn at all times except bed time has helped! Go figure that they might actually know what they are talking about! :rotfl: You know if I were still listening to myself, which I still do when I am in the house, I would be in worse shape. :wink:

So it all boils down to getting better. I have decided I cannot take out my frustrations on my knee, because my knee wil get even or ahead of me! I might not stick to the regimine that has been put in place exclusively, but I do know that what I am doing is helping "Capsie" get well! I want to avoid another surgery, and so I will try to be a little more patient! :happydance:
 
BJ,

I'm sorry you have pain and sleepless nights. I understand the frustration. If you haven't yet go back to what works for you... Ice, cool water, moist heat for muscles, Tylenol Advil or Alieve as much and as often as it is safe to take. If you have left over narcotic pain meds there is no shame in taking one especially if your pain prevents sleeping.

Hang in there....

ChrisO

PS I'm stubbornly not following this advice to a letter myself, I am so mad at my body for failing to heal on my terms. I take out my anger on myself with rediculous behavior like not taking meds, not resting and working when I should rest. So if you don't do any of the things everyone will advise you to do to take care of yourself I understand... But it is dumb.

Chris if you would like I will share my "Smart" water with you and BJ so we can all practice avoiding dumb stunts! :rotfl:
 
Lol that might help! A better beverage would be mello yello. I am so type A.

I know better but... I have given up enough time to this recovery "stuf" . I have been PO'd at my knees and my body off and on for weeks. You are right sometimes the knee wins, for the first 8 weeks i let them determin my days choices. Unlike others this board letting my knee be in charge only helped to a degree. Theain and swelling were NO better at rest whether or not I took it easy. If taking it easy doesnt help me then why bother. I figure that I'll just keep fighting. I'd be very close to depression without this fighting spirit. The recovery time seems endless and there is no promise that pain issues and slowness issues will resolve completely.

Maybe I should set a goal for joining a kick boxing class by October.

ChrisO
 
I ment unlike others who post on thi board
Now ChrisO,
I am not grouping ALL nurses into the I'll do it my way category, but when my Mom broke her wrist so bad that it was sticking out at an angle and the neighbor took her to the ER, the doctor on call told her it would be a couple of hours because he had an emergency. She said she would just go home and opt for surgery in the morning. He wrote her a prescription for Norco 10 and she took tylenol. Stubborn! HMMM Now I listen to you saying you have given the knee long enough, yet you are back at work making that sucker work and it is complaining! HMMM:whistle: Nope I'm not saying all nurses are hardheaded but I think I have met two!:rotfl:
 
BJ, I echo your frustration. I've had to be at school to unpack cartons (70 of them) and set up my classroom. And even though my surgery was three months earlier than yours, I can't stand and unpack boxes for even an hour. My knee starts swelling and then I can't bend it. I've head a bit of help but this is a horrible way to start the school year. I thought tht at seven months I'd sometimes forget about my knee. I still need to think "bend" every time I walk. It is getting very old. Hope this week is easier.
 
Jane, maybe you could go back to doing nothing for the next 2 weeks till you go back, just icing, elevating and some stretches. See if that helps, not what you want to do I know but worth a try? Take it easy
 
BJ, I echo your frustration. I've had to be at school to unpack cartons (70 of them) and set up my classroom. And even though my surgery was three months earlier than yours, I can't stand and unpack boxes for even an hour. My knee starts swelling and then I can't bend it. I've head a bit of help but this is a horrible way to start the school year. I thought tht at seven months I'd sometimes forget about my knee. I still need to think "bend" every time I walk. It is getting very old. Hope this week is easier.

Jane, That is discouraging to hear that your knee is still swelling and getting so uncomfortable still. 70 cartons! Wow, that is a lot of work! I do hope that you don't have to do a lot of standing once school starts. I hope this week is easier for you and I both. Hang in there! :console2:
 
Jane, public school starts tomorrow here. When does it start there?
 
Well, I just had a lovely day with my 4 1/2 year old granddaughter. I took her to the barn to pick up my daughter, her aunt. She got to help her aunt curry and brush the horse and 'paint' his hooves. Prince is such an angel and just stands there while she brushes and helps with him. I sat on the wall nearby and took some pics while they worked. We also had dinner and drew pictures on the sidewalk with chalk, took a small walk and pretended to be lost in the woods, played picnic with play food, and played Barbies. Then my daughter and her friend had Maddy help them make cookies. I love being a grandma. It is great fun to have her for the day, but very tiring too.
 
Sounds like a totally lovely time and relaxing day!
 
Sonja, faculty meetings begin tomorrow. We start school for real next Wednesday (after Labor Day). Nervous about whether I'll have the energy, and be able to deal with the swelling. Hopefully, yes. I do love the work.

And, Nancy, icing and elevating would be nice, but I need to get my room together. At least, sort of together. It still looks pretty disorganized right now. We'll see if I can get some help. Hopefully.

B.J. Your time with your grand-daughter sounds wonderful. How many children do you have? And how many grandchildren? I am so eager to have a grandchild. But, I don't get to decide. Glad I have a really wonderful little five year old next door. Theo brought me a picture he drew and signed yesterday. "To Miss Jane, From Theo. Nice.
 
Jane, I have four children and one granddaughter. My son was telling me about the neighbors on either side of him that have no grandchildren and are always spoiling Maddy. They really enjoy her as well.

No, you don't get to decide! Those grandchildren come along if and when they come along. I truly love spending the day and then sending her back home with her daddy to do the serious business with her. It is a gift to all of us. He gets a break, she gets special care and I get the joy of spending time with her. :happydance:
 
BJ, absolutely right. And someday, I'll have this gift. Your sentence made me chuckle: "No, you don't get to decide!" About grandchildren, about my knee...about so many things. BJ, how are you?
 
I am having a good week so far. I went to the Chiropractor on Monday morning and feel so much better after being straightened out, and so far this week I haven't overdone it so much that I am crying. This is a victory for me!!! :happydance:
I did do my workout on Monday, mostly all upper body and that felt good. I plan to do my workout again tomorrow and add a bit of legs, and hopefully not too much.

I spent hours trying to figure out where and how I messed up my checkbook yesterday, but I did it sitting down and that was a little blessing for me. (doing some work that was not manual labor) I have two of my sons off to college. My daughter and I will be doing some serious college searching in the next few months since she is a senior this year.
 
BJ, good for you, taking good care of yourself. My theory: you deserve a treat for being so good. I worked from 7:30 until 4:30. Lots of meetings, lots of classroom organizing, but I am getting a lot done. Next week, the kids come on Wednesday--an orientation on Tuesday. And yet, I am only a bit swollen. I think because I sat and walked and did knee raises. Not too much of any one thing. My favorite physical therapist talked with me for a long time on Monday. Gave me an idea of what is normal. He thinks that my ROM is fine for now...especially since my knee is still so swollen. Also says that this swelling at 7months is not that unusual, not out of normal range anyway. Gave me suggestions about which exercises I should do, which I should skip, now that I'm back to work. He said it will probably be bad for the first two weeks of teaching but should get back to where I am now quickly. Ice and elevate whenever I can. I love when people take that kind of time. If any Bonesmarties live near the Voorhees Virtua hospital, I'll pass along his name. He is exceptional.
 
Jane and BJ, I have found that wearing a support stocking helps the swelling in my knee. I got them footless, which I like better--from Discount Surgical stockings. They have nude and black and are thigh high I have found that they help a lot.

BJ, I also agree that you should have your OS look at your knee---you have been in pain for a long time.
 
So on Tuesday I overdid it seriously again. The boys had gone off to school and done a lot of straightening up in their rooms. Well, I set to work to "finish the jobs off" and did too much. The good news is that my lower back, hip and ankle hurt way worse than my knee. I think that that means that my knee is actually healing...
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
This is a heck of a way to gauge improvement and healing-----but hey! it is telling. I find my knees feel fine and my feet and back ache after a lot of yard work. And it's just still so hard not to overdo---when you start something, it's just about impossible to make yourself stop before it's all done even when you know you should.


Better rest up for a day or two----before you do it again.:heehee: Take care of yourself--
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom