PKR Bj Mac's Recovery

Sonja, Yes sitting and talking would be best. Sometimes that is possible, not when you are walking out of the grocery store, but I suppose I could try to quickly schedule a visit time where we can sit and chat... As far as the motorized cart in the grocery, I didn't even think to use one as I really have not needed to do that for some time. It is the standing that does me in and I didn't really realize the degree of pain until later (as in too late)

Neil, I believe that you may be correct that I need to allow myself more time. ARGH!!! I just want to be better!!!

Kelly, it is good to hear that you are doing well. I do wear the compression stocking when I know that I will be on my feet for a long time. I will have to practice letting others know that standing for a long while is just something that I can not do for now. I will work on letting others know what my needs are there. I hope that your opening went well and that your knee is not bothering you too much.

Rose, No! I do not know the meaning of rest. I am trying to learn and practice. Thanks for caring!

Yes mother, I mean Judy! lol

Chris, No, I was not able to do all of those things, but I was able to do more than I can do now. I was teaching snowboarding and going up and down steps and I could stand for longer times without swelling. I am feeling very discouraged being over 3 months post op and hurting sooo much when I do these things. I don't want to wait for so long... :boohoo:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery Mom is here, BJ! Good grief! girl, you are ONLY one quarter of the way through a 12 month recovery! What do you expect? EVERYTHING, of course. But as you can see, you ain't gonna get it! You are really doing very, very well---if we could only convince you.

Try to relax, sweetie, and try really , really hard not to be so impatient. Tall order, I know! You are getting there--and one of these months you'll be doing all those things again (I say as she just shakes her head).

Try to behave yourself (easy for me to say)---
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
Yes BJ try to behave yourself! Just follow my example, and you'll be well... Well maybe not in no time! :rotfl:

Perhaps you should follow the BoneSmart mantra instead!

Last night I "decided" I was sick of my crutches and left them in the bedroom. Well Brandy came up to me wanting love, and as I bent down to give her some, my hubby and I heard a loud "pop"! :thud:

Pat came over and brought my crutches, while I tried to put my kneecap back into place. So frustrating! :gaah:
 
Neil, I believe that you may be correct that I need to allow myself more time. ARGH!!! I just want to be better!!!

Common feeling. For goodness sake, I rode a century on my defective knees. I did a 600 mile tour on them in 2009. I'm impatient at times to get back there, but I have to understand I don't set the pace now. My knees do. However, I know I WILL be back, and you know you WILL be back too.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery Mom is here, BJ! Good grief! girl, you are ONLY one quarter of the way through a 12 month recovery! What do you expect? EVERYTHING, of course. But as you can see, you ain't gonna get it! You are really doing very, very well---if we could only convince you.

Try to relax, sweetie, and try really , really hard not to be so impatient. Tall order, I know! You are getting there--and one of these months you'll be doing all those things again (I say as she just shakes her head).

So true. I had similar issues at that point and had similar feelings. I think I was better at resting after a situation like that (or am I just lazy? ha!). It does get better, but it can take months. Remember all the healing that's still going on inside.
 
Judy, I am trying to relax and behave. Thanks for your encouragement.

Sonja, I do hope that you are ok and that this does not set you back too much. That has to be sooo frustrating. I am trying not to follow your example. I will try harder to fallow the bonesmart mantra.

Neil, I really appreciate your understanding and encouragement. Yes, we will be back.

Kneeper, it is so good to hear from you since you are so much further in the healing process. Thanks so much for stopping in with your encouraging words and reminders.
 
BJ if you are anything like I am resting causes you to stress...I think I should be healed and on my way to doing whatever I want whenever I want! Its not quite 3 months in for me yet but I am learning the knee is going to be ready to do what it wants when it wants. There are still days that I need to remind myself this is not a quick process no matter how badly I want it to be healed, recovered and ready to roll.

Take things a little slower, don't try to do too much all at the one time, standing is a killer on the knee, just find somewhere to sit if you are having a chat, people do understand when you tell them.

Hope you are feeling much better soon...take care!
T.
 
Yes, T, when I rest I often get stressed about what I "should" be doing. I really have to work to convince myself that it is ok, even necessary to rest. More important than "getting whatever it is done."
 
That's what I do too BJ...think about what needs to be done and then stress because its not getting done. My kids are too young to get them to take on any of the tasks (chores) other than maybe fetch something for me. My husband's back is in a worse state than my knees soooooo, I rest and stress, lol! It really is hard work convincing oneself that some things can wait... Hope you feel better soon.
T.
 
Well, I do understand BJ and Justme as I am working on my Master's, doing laundry, trying to keep some semblance of order to the house and so on. I am also realizing what's at stake if I DON'T slow down! My kneecap area hurt so bad last night after popping and the 1 and 1/2 hour drive from yesterday that it is literally screaming slow down! I was crying last night and my hubby said he wished he could do something to take the pain away. He massaged the knee for me, and got me a cold drink, then went and did the dishes! That meant a lot tome! :yes!: :happydance:
 
T, I think that we need to work on deep breathing and relaxation techniques, because the thing is if we sit down and put our leg up and stress at the same time we are not actually resting. It is ineffectual, doesn't help as much as if we really are resting and relaxing. Now, I am no expert because I have never truly learned how to relax or that it is OK, good, healthy, critical to my wellbeing to relax. So now here I am at this age trying to learn new tricks so that I may regain my health. It is hard!!! Let us keep on keeping on and strive toward the goal!!! Hang in there! :console2:

Sonja, you would benefit as well from practicing the relaxing. It is soooo frustrating when we realize the necessity of slowing down and yet have so much trouble actually putting it into practice, even though we know that we must do it. How sweet that your hubby tended to you and massaged your knee, got you a drink and did the dishes. I hope that you blessed him back by telling him how much you appreciated him doing those things for you. :) Hang in there! Rest, Ice, Elevate!!!
 
Sonja, you would benefit as well from practicing the relaxing. It is soooo frustrating when we realize the necessity of slowing down and yet have so much trouble actually putting it into practice, even though we know that we must do it. How sweet that your hubby tended to you and massaged your knee, got you a drink and did the dishes. I hope that you blessed him back by telling him how much you appreciated him doing those things for you. :) Hang in there! Rest, Ice, Elevate!!!

Hi BJ,

He worked on massaging my kneecap again this morning! Yes, I am telling him how much I appreciate all he does for me! He has been so sweet. We were supposed to take a quick trip to Lubbock (2 1/2 hours each way) just to get away, but decided not to because of problems with knee. Monday we will be traveling to San Angelo (2 1/2 hours away) for my EGD. That is close to where my Mom lives. One trip right now will be plenty for this knee! :umm:
 
Bj, I totally get your impatience. You are me, three months ago. I am very, very slowly noticing a difference. Standing is the worst for me too. When I do stand for too long, stiffness increases and I walk like I have a peg leg. My colleagues at work call out, "Bend that knee." I want to smack them. So...patience. Treat yourself as well as you can, and when you do, give yourself the reward you deserve for being kind to your knee. I've been doing that lately and it motivates me. But it's kind of like being on a diet. You don't want to reward yourself with an ice cream cone for eating well for two weeks. It's the same with our new knees. Even though what I want desperately is a nice, long, beautiful walk, that isn't the reward my knee wants when I treat it well. So I give it, you guessed it, ICE CREAM. Actually that is the treat on occasion. Sonja, how are you doing, and what do you mean when you say your knee popped. Did it actually pop out of place?

Here's something I decided to do for myself--visit a friend in the Berkshires...about a five hour ride from my home in Wyncote, outside of Philadelphia. I really want to go even if I can't kayak or hike. It's a beautiful place and I love these friends, and my husband is willing to take the hourly breaks I'll need to stretch and bend my knee...so I'm going. A last summer fling. Life can be good and next summer I plan to hike up a mountainside and swim in a brilliantly cold lake.
 
Juniper, yes the knee cap popped out of place. The muscles on the inside of the knee are weak, on the outside strong, and the kneecap will pop and pull itself out of track to the outside of the knee. Dr. Maale did a lateral release because I was having problems with the kneecap before urgency; now I have to get theinsidemuscle built up again! Thanks foraskink! :)
 
I was crying last night and my hubby said he wished he could do something to take the pain away. He massaged the knee for me, and got me a cold drink, then went and did the dishes! That meant a lot tome! :yes!: :happydance:
That's a sweet fella! He gets a bonesmartie hug.
 
Jane, thanks for the encouragement. I am glad to hear that you can relate, and look back and see that you were here three months ago. That gives me hope that in another three months I will be able to be much further ahead. I like treats, and ice cream is yummy. Maybe I shall have to figure out what kind of reward to give myself when I am good to my knee. :)
 
Judy, I saw you scolding me over on Elisea's thread... I do lots of steps when I am at home and then I wind up hurting and swelling and super uncomfortable. I am planning on taking some chill time once I send the boys back to college. I seriously hope that I can make myself do that.
 
I fell again tonight. This time I went all the way to the ground. I landed on my left leg, but my right knee felt like it bent way too far which doesn't exactly make sense since my ROM is so good. It hurt soooo much that I just sat on the ground. My daughter and her friend were there checking on me and I eventually got up.

The thing that my daughter's friend noticed though was that a young man just walked past us into the store and didn't even ask if I was ok. She was offended.
 
I seriously hope you can too! You know I only fuss cause I care
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
And I have a feeling you often don't take me too seriously anyway.
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
Try to get a good night's sleep.
[Bonesmart.org] Bj Mac's Recovery
 
How are you doing after your fall?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom