Today It is 8 months and 15 days since my TKR.
I still have days where I kind of regret the operation, but then I talk to my husband about it, and he tells me that nothing would have been better, if I had the old knee still. Which is absolutely right, and then my mind gets at the right place again, and I find my gratitude.
If I didn't had had the operation, I probably wouldn't be able to walk at all. So, there is a lot to be grateful for. Remember that.
So, is it also called "Spinning"?, in english? that thing you do at the gym, when you sit on stationary bikes with a bunch of other people and you spin together? I have joined that class a couple of times now, and it is REALLY hard. I don't make it through the whole program, and I loosen the tension more than my "classmates", but it is really hard still. Also good, at the same time. Just like when I swim in the ocean, which I do all year round, 3-4 times a week. These days the water is about 10 degree C, and it is quit cold now. It takes a bit of persuasion to get under, but I know the reward by doing it, just like I feel the reward after biking/spinning for an hour. Afterwards I feel such happiness inside, a feeling of peace and just happiness. It is called "Happy-hormon release. It is also very good for my knee, I think the happy-hormon goes directly in there too
My pt was not pleased when I told him about the spinning. "It is too much", he said. "You are overdoing it, and you will pay the price and slow healing process down".
So, now I still spin, but only for the company. I ride the bike the full hour, but with nearly no tension at all, and slower pace. I really hate riding bike at the gym when I am alone. It helps that we are a class, 8 other bikers than me, it keeps me going and not give up after ten minutes boredom. Due to Covid, we are only allowed to be 10 people in the same room. But I am grateful we get to workout at all. They talk about a mutation of the virus, and in a part of our country they are killing a lot of minks. Apparently the animals were carriers of the mutated virus.
I don't know... the world is crazy. It makes me so sad. Not only for the animals, but for all the families that are affected by this covid. We are told that the vaccine has been tested ok, and maybe we all can get the vaccine early next year.
Well...back to my knee.
I still elevate it, and ice it. Even now at almost 9 months PO, I try to do it every day. I feel it really helps me, not only that moment I do it, but also the rest of the day.
Am I still running? Naah not really. I worry too much about ruining my "trouble-child" - the knee - , that I have decided to wait until mt pt says GO. But once a week I go for a speed-walk, and fantasize that I am running like in the old days.
Today I signed up for a couple of birdwatcher-walks, with a local bird-association, both walks are in december, and I can not tell you how much I look forward to it. I also have a couple of other events in the calendar now, shorter hikes with my daughter and husband, and all that is just getting my spirit up. I feel like I am getting way better at adjusting my life, so I can get joy and happiness, despite my "troublechild" (knee). And that is so important... try to find happiness in the things you CAN do.
Sometimes when I look at my knee, I think it looks wrong. But I have decided that, even though it looks odd, and also makes strange noises (clunk-sound), it can function enough to allow me to do a lot. So I have stopped worrying about the looks and the sounds, - it is not good for my head to worry so much.
ROM is 130, I believe PT said. I am not totally sure if that is execellent, but it is enough for me.
Take care out there. Hope you are doing well, and many thoughts to all you brave warriors who are struggling right now.