Guest viewing is limited

TKR Birdwatcher's recovery thread

@Birdwatcher Fantastic post! You have come a very long way. And yes, you will continue to see progress.

I agree, accepting limits is very hard. But continuing to work without pushing can really pay off. You are proof of that! Well done!
 
@Birdwatcher THANK YOU! What a great post. It is soooo very hard to accept that we are no longer Superwomen! I know that feeling. I get so envious when I see people out running because I want to be them, but finding peace with yourself and your limitations is one of the hardest things on this journey. I’m only 8 weeks from surgery and doing well......and now gearing up to have the other knee done.

I also detest LIMITS! I tend to be the type of person who if I am given a limit I’ll try to break it - not a sensible or kind trait! Stupid in fact!

Best wishes

(your English is great by the way!)
 
I had to re-train myself how to walk properly after TKR as well @Birdwatcher. I had limped for SO long. Particularly in the first couple of years after TKR people would comment "your limping how come?" and it was almost always because I was in a hurry and dropped into my previous "muscle memory" of limping. Concentrating on proper heal, toe walking, with your feet in proper position will really help.
 
Hello Birdwatcher, it is so true that the hardest part of this journey is the emotional part with the “burial” of our former selves. I had to let go of the former self who was a dedicated tennis player since 1971. I played tournaments and competed in USTA leagues.
But this is my life now. I can still swim and I can walk and cycle indoors. So I keep saying, “This is my life now”‘I try to use the cognitive brain to tell the emotional brain that we have a different game plan now.
I had a scare from my spine surgeon who said to stop taking nsaids because he was concerned about some past kidney lab tests.
When my new tests came back fine (no kidney issues), I said “This is the best day ever!”. You are not alone.
 
Hello Birdwatcher, it is so true that the hardest part of this journey is the emotional part with the “burial” of our former selves. I had to let go of the former self who was a dedicated tennis player since 1971. I played tournaments and competed in USTA leagues.
But this is my life now. I can still swim and I can walk and cycle indoors. So I keep saying, “This is my life now”‘I try to use the cognitive brain to tell the emotional brain that we have a different game plan now.
I had a scare from my spine surgeon who said to stop taking nsaids because he was concerned about some past kidney lab tests.
When my new tests came back fine (no kidney issues), I said “This is the best day ever!”. You are not alone.
Tried to push Like, but my phone is stupid. Murphy2013, thank you. I was touched by your story. Can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you. But we somehow learn to be grateful for the smaller things.
 
I had to re-train myself how to walk properly after TKR as well @Birdwatcher. I had limped for SO long. Particularly in the first couple of years after TKR people would comment "your limping how come?" and it was almost always because I was in a hurry and dropped into my previous "muscle memory" of limping. Concentrating on proper heal, toe walking, with your feet in proper position will really help.
I really have to concentrate when I walk and stand, but when I do, it's much better. I also limped for several months, wasn't even aware of it until I saw it in a video.
 
@Birdwatcher THANK YOU! What a great post. It is soooo very hard to accept that we are no longer Superwomen! I know that feeling. I get so envious when I see people out running because I want to be them, but finding peace with yourself and your limitations is one of the hardest things on this journey. I’m only 8 weeks from surgery and doing well......and now gearing up to have the other knee done.

I also detest LIMITS! I tend to be the type of person who if I am given a limit I’ll try to break it - not a sensible or kind trait! Stupid in fact!

Best wishes

(your English is great by the way!)
Thank you so much Carmencita, hope everything will work out perfectly with your second knee too.
 
Saturday morning, I am preparing for going out on a hike today. Packed food and tea in my old backpack, hoping to spot the White-tailed eagles that lives around there. They usually hunt in an other area, actually quit far away from their territory, but their nest is in this area, så they are returning to their nest several times through the day. Some say they have 2 chicks hatched this year.

My knee.... I don't know if I will jinx it now, but I have to say it is going so so so well now. I am 1 year and 56 days post op, and finally it seems I have found a balance. Also, it seems that it really made a huge difference, with my corrected way of walking. I am so very happy and grateful about it. I do know, that there will be days where it is not going so well, but hopefully less and less. I am much better at listening to my body. I stop when I can feel something that is not good. I don't push my self anymore. What a difference! My husband carry our backpack when we walk together on our longer hikes. It is really good that way. In the beginning I was a bit embarrassed about it, - hey, I am not an old lady, I can carry my own stuff!! - but I can feel that it makes a difference. That way I can walk longer distances, and no pain or swelling afterwards. That is all that matters, and I swallow my pride! :D

I have many days now, where I actually forgets the TKR-thing! Isn't that wonderful??! No pain and only a few limitations. (Can not squat deep f.ex., but hey, I am 54... I can live without that ;) .)

I read that a bonesmart-user asked this question, or something like it: How long before you could say you were happy that you have had the surgery?

I can honestly say, that it took me 1 year and a little over a month, before I truthfully could say that.

I know; that is a long time, but it has been an extraordinary process, I wouldn't have been able to even imagine that it would be like this. It has brought so much pain, and challenged me in so many ways I never thought was possible, BUT... I must say, it also have given me an insight in my self, I have never had before. I have learned so much about patience and gratitude.
It was a dark year in many ways. Also with the Covid-situation on top of it all. Some times I lost hope. I had days where I cried and thought it never would get better. But it did. And still do.

I hope YOU are okay, and remember to be kind to your self, and trust that it WILL get better.
 
hoping to spot the White-tailed eagles that lives around there
They are fantastic! We have had several in the area just recently. Unusual for this location.

I hope you have a lovely hike! Yes, we always advise to give this recovery one year or more. So happy that you are finally seeing the benefits of this surgery!
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom