TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great report @LaxMom.....you are just amazing! Back to back surgeries & great attitude ....!! X


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Omg @ConnieJOS, I just took a look at your profile! I guess what I did is NOTHING compared to the year you had. You arE completely bionic! I need to go read your posts and am going to ask you al my questions!!! You have my utmost respect!

And thank you to everyone who has read, commented, or rated my posts, especially my hippie pals, @Hoppy Nanny, @PhatTxDiva, @craftdee, and @xtina16405 - knowing you are all out there makes all the difference. :console2:
 
@LaxMom
Yes, it's been quite an ordeal. I had both TKRs and both THRs in seven months and four days to be exact. Once I had the first one, I just didn't feel that I would reap the benefit of any of it while still limping around on the old ones, so I just wanted it all done as quickly as possible! It's been interesting, but not too bad.

I never really got to know anyone on the hippie side of bonesmart. By the time I started doing a lot and understanding Bonesmart I was already dealing with knee issues and just hung out with the knee people.

Have a nice day!
Connie
 
@ConnieJOS, I got half way through your knee recovery thread and it seems like you are Little Miss Gumby Legs! I cannot believe that flexion! Wow!

PT is coming in a few minutes and it will be interesting to see where I am. I was 105 on Tuesday.

However, I may not do so well today. I am on IC Hydromorphone, 2 mg pills - was taking 2 pills every 4 hours. Just got a refill (takes 2 days in the mail to get here!!!) and at that rate, I only have enough through Monday! I am experimenting with 1 pill (2 mg) every 4 hours to see how I do, since the pain level was better yesterday. But even at that rate, I will run out in 6 days, and Thanksgiving is almost upon us! Ugh!! I have to call today and ask for more. It seems so crazy to me. Not sure if my doctor thinks I should be weaning off everything, but I am not even at the 2 week point. How long were you on the pain killers? I think you had the same medication, but it was hard to sift through for this specific a question.

I do not want to over take meds, but I do want to be comfortable so I can make some progress. Not sure if I feel all that comfy today on the lower dose, but I am due to take more in 20 minutes. Any advice is much appreciated as I brace myself to call the nurse practitioner yet again!!!
 
I only have enough through Monday! I am experimenting with 1 pill (2 mg) every 4 hours to see how I do,
Why---it is still early yet

Not sure if my doctor thinks I should be weaning off everything, but I am not even at the 2 week point.
If you are in pain, and you need the meds, then, by all means, you certainly need to be taking them on schedule.

I was 105 on Tuesday.
That is amazing! you are doing great!
 
Thank you for the feedback @referee54 - my home PT was just here and called the OS office for me to ask about refills They were a bit defensive with her, said they only prescribe 40 pills at a time and that I should be cutting back. That is all well and good, and I do want to cut back, but I'm in pain! PT suggested I wean to 2 pills every 5 hours (instead of every 4 hours), then try to do 2 pills every 6 hours, then go to 1 pill every 6 hours, but maybe with 2 overnight. That sounds like a reasonable plan. Now I need the doctor to send more pills! With 2 days in the mail, I am going to be calling for a refill every time they arrive. Anyway, glad PT called for me. I think I would have cried on the phone and I do not want to do that! Since the doctor only prescribed 40 pills, I will actually run out before they arrive in the mail and I get them filled, which is why I was trying to cut back.

Today I did 2 minutes on the bike and it is easIer to go around. We then went through my harder exercises and took a walk down the street, about 700 yards. Got back inside, did sitting heel slides and finally got to 106. Was much harder to do today because of the pain.
 
Doctor is ordering tramadol to help me cut back on the dilaudin. Will start it tonight.
 
Thanks @sandbar525 it has been a painful transition day. Hoping this gets resolved so I can do a better job at my PT.
 
So glad to hear PT was an advocate for you. I am fortunate in that my OS believes in pain control and doesn't give me a guilt trip. I tried Tramadol for hips and knees and it didn't work for me. I'm still taking Norco 1-2 times at night and once during the day. I have an OS appt on Monday so well see what he says. I think when I was at your point in time I tried to cut back (had the same problem with running out) and I was in tears from the pain. The PA set up a pain med schedule for me that worked. I felt like a wimp needing more pain meds, but the OS reminded me that he thinks my pain tolerance is pretty high based on the severely damaged knees I've been walking around on with only Ibuprofen. He really seems to "get" that this a painful process. I've decided not to care about what others think- I'm the only one who knows my pain level and I need to take care of it. I hope you get your meds worked out soon!
 
Hi @LaxMom - How are you doing with your knee recovery? My hubby is having bi-lateral TKR next friday (day after thanksgiving).
 
@LaxMom , I cannot believe that they sent you home with only 40 tablets! :flabber: My prescription (for oxycodone—admittedly different than yours) was for 100 tablets, and it lasted about two weeks. The tapering-off schedule sounds reasonable IF your pain levels are going down. If you are still in pain, it would be crazy for them to try to reduce the doses and still expect you to heal. Good for your PT!

@ConnieJOS, I got half way through your knee recovery thread and it seems like you are Little Miss Gumby Legs!
I love your sense of humor! I hope you continue to use it to get through this very trying experience.
:console2:
 
Hi @LaxMom. I was sent home with a very limited supply of Oxycodone... it is labelled a "Controlled Drug" here (probably there too) so I was a bit resentful that because of some junkies using it as their "drug of choice" I had to go to my GP (General Practioner) and get another prescription on about my fourth day home... after having to go to my GP on my way home from Hospital to rectify one prescription as it had two Narcotics on it and the Pharmacist wasn't allowed to dispense both, each having to have it's own prescription; I can see why they call it a "Controlled Drug":shocked:
They don't give repeats on these scripts either, so every time you want some you have to go to the GP and get an Authorised Prescription, so they can keep track of how many of these pills are out there. I had Tramadol as well, again it's a Controlled Drug, but it comes with a lot more pills per pack so I didn't need to repeat that... not everyone can tolerate Tramadol (upset tummy), but I found it really good, especially overnight, as effective as the Oxycodone/Oxynorm and nowhere near the side effects, hope it works out for you:fingersx:
I hate taking pills, I really do - BUT, I HATE being in pain, your pain level is obviously making you feel a bit miserable so you NEED to be relieving it. In the end you've got to look at it as a balance; if I don't take enough pain relief I feel miserable, can't do my PT, can't move around... if I do take enough I feel better and CAN do all the other stuff, when written like a ledger it's a no-brainer... more pills please:yahoo: and the way to think of other people's reaction is in one of my favourite (probably mis)quotes "When I was in my 20's I worried so much what people thought about me, when I was in my 30's I didn't worry at all what people were thinking about me - and now I'm in my 40's I realize people aren't thinking about me anyway" ... it's kind of clumsy, but you know where I'm coming from - other people's opinions of you, your situations and actions are just that Opinions, they neither help nor hinder you - so do what works for YOU, I don't want you to be sad and sorry:console2:
I'm off, I've got a party to prep for (sorry, sounds a bit braggy when you're there with your leg up, don't worry I'll have a dip in the chocolate fountain for you:cool:)
Donna xx
 
Hello my BS friends, @sandbar525 , @referee54 , @PuppyLove , @toohip , @PrincessTia, @craftdee

Well, it has been a trying day. I did get over a week's worth of dilaudin when I left the hospital. Not sure how many pills, but it lasted me a week and a half, taking 12 per day. When I called the doctor for the refill, I learned that they cannot just call the pharmacy, but have to mail it. That takes 2 additional days. Refill came yesterday, hubby went to get it, and then I realized it was for 40, which meansI had to call immediately to get it here for Monday. And on Monday I will need to do the same to get through Thanksgiving!!! PT called to advocate for me, which was ,great, but when I called back in the afternoon, the nurse was very agitated about that and wanted me to call. Whatevah!!! She did promise to call in the tramadol and mail the dilaudin. Then, things took a turn for the worse! At 6 pm, called the pharmacy,and they said they had no order. So I called the doctor's answering service and got the on call hospital doctor who said he could not call in any scripts for me. By this point I am crying like a fool. My husband calmly reminded me that I have all this leftover oxycodone that I did not use for the hip, and I can just switch. He is great - knows how to calm me. Then, around 9 pm, the pharmacy called to say, oh yeah, we do have it, it came in late on the fax. Right! I am guessing they never checked the fax. By this time, hubby has had a few beers, so we are waiting until tomorrow to start that. I am happy to know that the office did take care of the meds. For a while there, I was thinking they were messing with me,and how awful a feeling is that! But fortunately it is all falling into place.

This does seem to be the surgery where what can go wrong, will go wrong, as adopted to my hip where everything went so right.

So, here it is 10:30 at night. I stretched the dilaudin 4 mg to every 5 hours, still taking 650 mg Tylenol 3 x per day, plus 2 Celebrex a day. Tomorrow I start the tramadol to help gradually wean the narcotics. To set the story straight, I am not worried about what anyone thinks and I do want to take the right amount of pain killers to be able to finction and do PT. Here is the interesting thing. Now that the emotional roller coaster is over, I have to say, I feel pretty good right now. It used to be that my worse pain was toward the end of the day when I was more swollen. Right now, I think the swelling has gone down significantly and the bruising is starting to disapate. I actually think I can handle the 5 hour spread, and that should be easier tomorrow if I can tolerate the tramadol. The thing that is a pain is to have to constantly call for more narcotics, wait 2 days and then call again. I guess as a start to wean, it will last longer, but this is nutty right now. But, as my hubby says, if worse comes to worse, I go on the oxycodone.

I am also finding, and PT did recommend this - that when I ache, a small amount of movement does loosen the joint and make it feel better. So in an odd way, it hurts to do PT, but feels better after doing it. As long as I do not overdo. Today I got on the recumbent bike 4 times for 2 minutes each time. It felt pretty good.

@toohip - congrats on your husband's surgery date. I am sure you are finding from reading this that it is a much harder road that replacing a hip. On the other hand, there a few pains worse than bone on bone knee pain, so in the end it will be so worth it. Tell your husband to get rowdy for a wild ride, and be there to support him when he has a day like this. He will be ok. My thoughts and prayers will be with him next week.

And to all my BS pals, thank you so much. Just reading your words, knowing you understand exactly what I am going through is the best medicine of all. It is getting better, hour by hour, day by day. Hugs to you all.
 
I just caught up on your thread. Tuesday I had a tough time sleeping. The insomnia hits me sometimes. I have been trying to forego the naps. I think I may nap because I am bored and then I don't sleep.

It sounds like you are doing well. That does not surprise me. You are such a strong person. So happy your getting your meds under control before the holiday. Great peace of mind.

I had a rough day today too. I overdid it yesterday and am paying the price today. Rest rest and more rest.

So happy you are moving along. All my best to you. Have a great weekend.
 
@LaxMom The hoops we have to jump through to simply get 5 days worth of pain medication days after major surgery is astounding. I know this is new legislation passed only last month but I just can't believe it is going to stand the way it is. It creates so much hassle for everyone concerned and adds stress to an already stressful recovery process. I'm so glad that you seem to have a plan to move forward and thank goodness you have the oxycodone as an emergency backup. Here's hoping that the tramadol plus adding Tylenol every other dose will do the trick. I don't know how it works but hopefully you are able to get a prescription for the Tramadol that will last longer than 5 days. On the other hand, wonderful to hear your swelling seems to be going down. Fingers crossed that it continues. Good for you...2 minutes x 4 times on the recumbent bike! After my ill-advised 5 minute stint on the recumbent bike at PT on Thursday, I thought I would try something on my upright bike here at home. I set the seat to the highest setting and the tension to 0. Was able to get on without much trouble. Didn't do anything other than rock back and forth about 10 times and then actually did one revolution backwards. Don't think the whole think took more than about 30 seconds but it felt great to know I could start using my bike at home is very small doses periodically throughout the day. I think things are starting to come together for us 11-11 TKRs! :) Here's hoping for a restful night. I'll be looking for your update tomorrow. Hugs
 
@LaxMom
Gumby! :rotfl:
That cracked me up!:loll: I don't think I've ever been called that before!
I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op and I've just started to wean myself off pain meds. I have a plan to reduce it slowly over a two week period. With four surgeries I've taken a lot of pills in the last seven months, but I'm not worried about that one bit. I certainly don't want to be hooked on drugs, but I'm only taking it for legitimate pain! I couldn't have stood what I've been through without it. My doctor is pretty good to accommodate as long as I'm still hurting, he doesn't try to have me stop the meds before I'm ready.

Connie
 
@ConnieJOS , Not sure what is up with my OS. He is a master in the OR, but does not talk much. I mostly deal with his nurse practitioner. I do have faith that he does a fantastic job and that his patients have, in general, less pain due to his minimally invasive techniques. But, I have to day, I have not felt very supported by him on this, and that has added to the anguish. At least when it comes to knee #2, I will know what to expect and can be more proactive!

I woke up this morning feeling pretty good on the every 5 hour routine of dilaudin. Still on the Tylenol, Celebrex, etc. Hubby got up early to get the tramadol and I took some at 8 am. We will see how it goes.

When I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, I tried to exaggerate my walking and sort of marched to bend my knee. I am hoping that will help with the overnight stiffness. Seems like it did.

Question on the tramadol foe anyone who has taken it. The nurse referred to it as something that would help with the break through pain. Does that mean it would be better to take the doses in between by dilaudin doses? Interested in how others juggled the various meds.

Thanks all!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom