TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @LaxMom - Thanks for the well wishes. Sorry to hear that you're in a bit of a pain med dilemma. I don't know how you can manage all you're going through and keep up with Bonesmart, lol...i'm bouncing from hip to knee forums...it's crazy!! lol! Well I hope you've straightened it out with your pain meds and sounds like you've got a great hubby! Just keep telling yourself it will get better each day!! but then again I know that creepy doubter rears its ugly head, you've got to shut that one out of your mind!!!
I think since i know about the rest, ice, elevate and medicate mantra...i'll know how to care for him, plus i kinda know what he'll be going through...he'll just have to concentrate on getting and feeling better.
 
@sandbar525 , good for you to get back on a bike. I think your technique is perfect. Keep it up until you can go all the way around! The 11-11 TKRs are doing well, all things considered!

@xtina16405 , thanks for checking in, I left a message for you on your thread. I have just left my hip since I need to focus on the knee. But it is so great to hear how active you have become. Woo hoo! The only thing I can say for my hip is it works, does not bother me, and graciously accepted its role as the "good leg." Which is great - it means I can do stairs, which means I can take a shower and go outside on my own for tiny walks. Nothing like my nice long hip walks. But then again, it is FREEZING outside. I have to bundle up in my down coat and then the wind is whipping about. Nothing like my beautiful autumn walks of last month.

Here is wishing everyone a great Saturday in Bone Smart land.
 
PS just read your most recent post...and my OS is also like that...master in the OR, but then falls off the radar for trying to talk to him directly (I call him the wizard behind the curtain, lol) so I've gotten to know his office staff real well and communicate via email/phone on a first name basis, lol. I would think bending the knee is good in the early stages...what have you heard...I think hubby's OS sends him home with a bending machine...but don't know about it much.
 
@toohip, I did not get the machine. CPM I think it is called. After reading many threads on BS, it seems like some use it and some do not. The physical therapists I work with said that it does increase flexion in the early days but research has shown there is no long term benefits. That is what I heard anyway. My hospital used the pulley system on the bed, same as with my hip. So while in the hospital it was my job to do ankle pumps, quad and glut sets and use the pulley to do heel slides. It was painful to use in the early days, but sometimes it also felt better to change positions with a heel slide. To this day, I still have to put a strap under my thigh to do my lying down heel slides. Otherwise, I do not get very far. And really, the biggest point is, moving does help loosen the joint as long as you do not overdo.

And you are right, there are many similarities between the operations - house set up, pain control, PT, emotional support. Since you are a bone smartie, he is in the best of hands. You KNOW. My husband can only imagine. But, my dear husband had stayed married to me through life long rheumatoid arthritis, jaw reconstruction (due to arthritis), knee arthroscopy, 2 ankle surgeries, and now this. He sort of got the raw end of the deal when it comes to those wedding vows! More sickness than health. He is a gem and a keeper.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Whoa! Update on the tramadol. Knee pain... What knee pain??? This is WAY STRONGER than the dilaudin, in my opinion. I think I can safely take 1 tab every six hours of the tramadol, and go to 2 dilaudin every six hours, but alternate the doses so that there is 3 hours in between each. So, something like Tramadol 6 am, noon, 6 pm, midnight, and dilaudin 9 am, 3 pm, 9 pm, and 3 am (if I wake up).

Faith is restored in OS and his staff. This is the best my knee has ever felt. Now, how is it that they can fax this to the pharmacy when they have to mail the dilaudin? I guess I should keep quiet about that before yet another law is enacted!
 
@LaxMom Thrilled to hear your results while on Tramadol! What a relief that must be for you after a couple of anxious days. By the way, really appreciated the tip on exagerated steps as a way to loosen up. Gave it a try and it works.

Day 11: Think I might venture outside a bit today. Maybe at least a walk to the mailbox and back since it has stopped raining. Did some gentle PT this morning, 5 leg raises, 2 sets of 6 toe lifts, side steps (about 6 each way) and hamstring stretch (1 each side for 10 seconds). That will be it for this morning. I'll do the same after lunch and add 1 minute on the bike. I'm using the weekend to recoup from of all of those car trips (8) to/from hospital over the past 9 days. I'm feeling excited to be seeing some progress, albeit slight. Know there is still a very long way to go, but seems like at least the first corner has been turned! :)
 
I have never been prescribed anything for pain except for hydrocodone. I read up on tramadol. It is a schedule 4 drug, which means it is a controlled substance but has much lower risk of abuse or addiction than schedule 2 drugs (hydrocodone/oxycodone). Prescriptions can be called in and they can write prescriptions with refills. I'm so glad it's working for you!
 
@sandbar525 - it does seem we are turning a tiny corner, doesn't it? I tired the marching because I was thinking about where and when I have pain. The worst pain is inside, lower part of the knee. That is where PT thinks the tibia was cut. I was extremely knock kneed and they probably needed to cut more on the inside to get things straight - which they are! Very excited about the straight leg as I was very self conscious of how awful my legs looked and even gave up dresses entirely because I could not stand to see it.

The other pain I have is a stinging pain first thing in the morning along the top of my suture line. I do not experience this as the day goes on, so I figured it has to do with the incision starting to heal over night and then being pulled sided by bending the knee dirng the day. So, I figured if I marched to the bathroom in the middle of the night, it might help. I think so!

I did my first round of PT today and my 2 minutes on the bike. All good. But this tramadol has me feeling a bit loopy so I am in bed, icing, elevating, semi-napping. The good part about all this **** I went through is I will know just what to ask for when the second knee gets done!

I live in a neighborhood where we have locked mailboxes placed at different points around the street. My street is a circle that is .6 miles. The mailbox is 3 houses away or about 350 yards. For my hip recovery, I used to walk my entire circle. For my knee, I am going to the mailbox and back, and that is just enough! Yesterday I did it with PT and she suggested I alternate my crutches to have my hands swing in a normal gait. So, if the right leg steps, so does the left crutch, and so on. It felt good to do it, more like a normal walking pattern. And it feels so nice to get outside. Unlike you, everyone is coming to me at this point, so the only time I leave the house is for my tiny walks!

Good luck with the bike today!
 
@LaxMom your side of the country is freezing. We need the rain and snow here. We need to end this drought. I read your thread on thanksgiving. It will be nice just the three of you. I have the entire family here. My mom and sister will do most of the cooking. Since my stamina doesn't last. I will make pies on Wednesday and party mashed potatoes. We have a lot we do the day before so that is nice. So glad you have the bike. I was thinking next week I should get my dad and go to the gym and try the bike. Do something different than walking. I want to swim but have a scab still at the end of my scar. Can't swim until it heals.

Tramadol is great. But it makes me so sleepy. I had it for my back pain and wow it works great but knocks me out and I feel a little lethargic after. Glad it is working for you. So happy your pain is better. Everyone has told me that knee recovery is a a much bigger process than hip surgery. You are handling it like a pro. You rock my friend! I hope you have a restful Sunday. God bless.
 
@xtina16405 , the tramadol does make me feel sleepy. I was mostly sleeping all of yesterday. Last night, I took a does at midnight and just woke up at 5 am. That is the longest I have slept without waking. For the hip, I would not have wanted to feel like this, but the knee is so entirely different. I do wonder when I will feel good enough to get off of this stuff, but for now, if it makes the pain manageable, I am ok with it. So different from my hip! I was down to just Tylenol in a matter of days.

Amazing that you will be doing the big Thanksgiving. You have come so far! I typically do all the big family holiday meals. Last Easter, I announced my surgeries and let people know the kitchen is closed until further notice! My brother is driving out to take my mom to a restaurant for their meal. My sister was going to Chcsgo to see grandkids but now is doing a small meal at home. Not sure where my sister in law will end up. I worry about her the most as she does not have her own family. But, I am not good company this year, that is for sure! I will just Ben handful for new joints and a supportive family.

I hear you on the swimming. I put my gym membership on hold until January. Looking forward to getting back to my Pilates class, and to trying the pool. I used to love to swim. Last summer, my joints were so bad, it actually hurt to swim. I had never experienced that in my life. Getting back on the pool will be great. I imagine the getting in and out will be the hardest part. My club pool has a kiddie area, so I guess I could climb down the gentle kiddie steps vs. diving in and get out the same way.

Enjoy your Sunday and God bless. :loveshwr:
 
Post-op day 12. The meds are working!!!!! I slept from about 12:30 to 5:30 last night. It was wonderful. Pain is under control, with me taking something every 3 hours. I actually slept through a 3 am dose, which is fine by me! I upped the bike time to 3 minutes and I can handle it well. Did a full round of PT exercises. Will do more after lunch. Best day so far!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom That is such good news! I would say the transition to Tramadol was successful. I couldn't be more pleased to hear about your "best day so far". You have attained rock star status! :) Keep on keepin' on and continue that great forward momentum. I think next week is going to be good week for the 11/11s.
 
@sandbar525, I do think the transition to Tramadol went very well. I am less loopy today and less nauseous. And getting the good night's sleep was truly wonderful.

I do think the 3 minutes on the bike was too much. The first 2 times were fine but the last time left me swollen and painful.

The knee has got to do what the knee wants to do. I do think I am back to afternoons through dinner being the worse time for swelling and pain. And, by that time I cannot wait to get those TED stockings off!!!

But other than that, it was a very good day. I hope it is a good week for both of us and that you had a good day. Have a nice night!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @LaxMom Sorry to hear that maybe one bike ride too many. As you say "the knee has got to do what the knee wants to do" and sometimes it doesn't tell us until after the deed is done! How long do you leave the dreaded TEDS off? I can't wait to be rid of them, that's for sure. Busy day for me tomorrow, PT, finger stick and then staples out. All happening between 9:30 and 11:15. Think there will be a major nap tomorrow afternoon. I'm predicting a good week for us...feel it in my bones! :) Sweet dreams.
 
@sandbar525 , I get to take my TED stockings off at night. Typically, I take them off right after dinner, around 7:30, then I take a warm shower to relax any tense muscles and put on my pj's. The TEDs go back on in the morning after my shower, typically around 8:30 am. I had to wear them for my hip too but they are worse for the knee as they bind where my knee starts to swell. I think I can stop wearing them at 4 weeks, but I also read somewhere that the risk of blood clots is highest at the 6 week point, so I may just keep wearing them. Even though I hate them.

I do finger stick and PT tomorrow too, but they come to my house. Congrats on the staples coming out!!! I get to take off my steri-strips tomorrow or Tuesday. Under those I have dissolvable stitches under my skin. I think we should post pictures this week!

I love that you feel in your bones we will have a good week. Right now, I am feeling something else in my bones - pain and swelling! i hope you are right. :heehee:

Good luck tomorrow and take that nap. :loveshwr:
 
@LaxMom it never ceases to amaze me how different the protocol is with different doctors. With four surgeries, I never had TED stockings in the hospital or at home. Hmm.
 
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since the surgery. PT was just here putting me through my paces. I am doing the lying down exercises on the floor now, where I can really see what my extension is. When first measured this morning it was -8. After some work it got to zero, but I do need to work it. I get my best flexion by doing lunges on the bottom stair. Today I got to 110!!!

And, as promised, the steri-strips are removed and here is what the knee looks like. Incision is 6.5 inches. You can see my rolled down TED stockings. @ConnieJOS - I wonder if you would have done 4 surgeries if you had to endure these blasted things! I read my discharge notes today and I can stop then at 4 weeks, so just 2 more weeks of torture. I am also on Coumadin to thin my blood and prevent blood clots. Finger stick nurse coming in an hour. Time to get a bit of icing and elevating in. My knee looks a bit swollen after my PT session!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Bionic LaxMom
    right knee 2 weeks out.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 173
@LaxMom Great report. Hard to believe that it has been almost two weeks since surgery! Great flexion, too. Knee looks very good. Two more weeks of TEDS...you can do it! I'm off in an hour for my marathon appts of PT, finger stick and staple removal. Will report in upon return...probably after a long nap!:)
 
Goof luck. @sandbar525 - I am all done my visits. 1.7 INR. I am hovering at the bottom, but that is ok. And, I am most certainly ready for my nap! Just have to eat lunch, take some meds and off to sleep for me!
 
You're doing well. Glad the tramadol is working for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom