TKR Bionic LaxMom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @referee54 for the info...hubby is in huge amounts of pain but very worried/nervous about getting his knees replaced. He is not well informed yet. He is going to an OS this week to get a first opinion.
 
@LaxMom nice job on PT. Already on the bike. Woohoo. Shower day is approaching. I love the first shower after not being able to shower. It is such a wonderful feeling.:loveshwr: Aaaaaaahhhhhhh! So happy you are doing better now that your home. Keep up the awesome work. You will be kick boxing soon. :rotfl:
 
Hi @xtina16405! Good to hear from you. Did not sleep well and and very swollen. I am learning the least bit of progress can bring on the swelling. I am struggling with how much and how little to do. It seems like I do not to much, but then the swelling comes on. Knees are crazy! I think I will be spending the day in bed with ice!

I do go over to the hip side to see what you and @craftdee are up to, although there is nothing for me to report on my hip. Feeling no pain there, but that is because I am medicated and barely moving! I did get the dreaded night sweats last night on Dilaudin. I do believe that narcotics and me will never be friends. But I am regularly taking the dratted pills.:chillpill:
Behaving myself of late. No more fights with nurses or anyone else for that matter!:angel:
And yes, counting the hours to my first post-op shower. :yay::bath:
 
@LaxMom. I am having an insomnia night. It is 4:30 am here. I have had such a difficult time sleeping tonight.

Knees are tricky. I had arthroscopic knee surgery in my twenties. Nothing like what you are going through. But I remeber my knee swelling for a year after. Of course I was playing sports at the time in college but any slight error would cause it to swell. They take a while to heal. I think you are smart to rest today. Keep it elevated too. So important.

Recovery is such a roller coaster. Just when you think you have it down something tricks you. I have been feeling so good and strong. Tonight I decided to forego the pain med. I only gateman at bed now. What a mistake. I woke up with the strangest pain. So then I take it and like you I am sweating then cold then hot. Ugh. But it is all good. I can rest al, day if I want.

So glad you are hanging in there. My hats off to you. Two surgeries so close together. You rock!!!
 
@xtina16405 , I figured you were not sleeping! Pretty early for a California post. So sorry about the meds! It is a long road. I was looking at some old notes I took and noticed I stopped taking oxycodone on 10/11, then went back on for a day the following week but stopped when I got the night terrors and night sweats. That seems so unbelievable to me, but there are many ways to do the hip and I was fortunate. No so with the knee!!!

You have had a long road, but you have also made such great progress. If you have not done so, some night when you cannot sleep, go back to the beginning of your hip post and start reading. You will se all you have accomplished. It is good for the soul.

Rest easy today, my friend.

Hugs,
Sharon
 
How right you are @LaxMom It is good to look back at your first post surgery ramblings - especially if you feel you're not progressing. So sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it, all I can offer is hugs :console2:I'm just off to bed now, to try and get some sleep on my back... the only good thing about taking stronger meds was that i was "out to it" for at least some of the night - now I basically count backwards all night!! I thought I'd be settled into it by now, but it really is my nemesis. Nothing like what you're going through of course :groan: The thing stopping me from grabbing some of those Oxycodone I have left in the cupboard is the horrible side effects I get with them... so thanks for reminding me of the night sweats (I get really foggy and hungover feeling too, very unpleasant indeed) in a very timely manner; I'll just get my Tylenol instead and go to bed.:yawn:
I'll listen to Norah Jones on my iPhone... then wake up in the small hours with one leg hanging out of the bed, the pillow designed to stop me rolling onto my side half smothering me (I obviously pull it up out of the way then lose the will half way through throwing it across the room) and my earphone cord wrapped precariously around my left ear (right earplug doing its own thing somewhere) stretching to the phone on my bedside table on my right side meaning if I move AT ALL the whole kit and caboodle slips down between the bed and the bedside table, irretrievable until daylight... using the battery up and not providing me with any Chasing Pirates whatsoever. Mmm, that Oxycodone's lookin' better all the time:loll:better get outta here
Seriously Sharon, and you too @xtina16405 , hope you get some :sleep::sleep::sleep:
See ya :loveshwr:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Donna, @craftdee, I do look forward to your posts to get my laugh for the day. Very visual night time routine you got there!

I agree on the narcotics- sweats, headache, hungover, cotton mouth. Yuck!!! But it does get me knocked out and in bed for a bit, so I do it. Right now I am doing 4 mg dilaudin 5 times a day, along with 650 mg Tylenol 3 times a day and Celebrex twice a day. I am hoping if I can manage the rest vs. movement, plus ice appropriately, then I should start to get comfortable. It is hard for me to get it through my thick head that one minute on the bike is truly all that is needed. And mostly my job is to sleep, ice, and elevate.

So far today I did one round of my lying, sitting, and standing exercises and one timed minute on the bike with no tension.

Maybe just one more round of exercises and resting today. We shall see if that works!

Get some rest my girl friends!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@LaxMom, I will be going home on Percocet, had Dilaudid in recovery, morphine for the remainder of the first day than to Percocet til I go home. As loopy as the Dilaudid made me in recovery and for a few hours afterward I could not imagine taking it on a daily basis. The only dufference us mne was IV and yours is by mouth.
 
Hi @mystikfairy61 - welcome to the other side!!! Hope that you did well - must have if you are able to write and you are not telling me how much pain you are in. I did get Dilaudid injections in the hospital, and then switched to pills on the last day. The one thing I like about the Dilaudin is it comes in 2 mg tabs and I get too choose 1, 2, or 3 tabs. The 3 tabs absolutely makes me loopy. Right now I am trying to stick with 2 tabs every 4 hours. I hope to gradually reduce it, but for now this is still pretty darn painful in 2 ways: stiffness in the morning and extra swelling in the evenings. I am going to go read your recovery thread, but welcome back!!!
 
@LaxMom Thanks for the welcome back, it hasn't been too bad, except when I did the CPM for 30 mins. Other than that and the burning pain that comes when I am within 45 mins before my pain meds, today hasn't been bad at all.
 
It is just over one week out since my knee replacements, so I thought I would give a thorough update, since things do change along the way!

First order of business, today I took an actual shower for the first time post op! :wowspring::happydance::yay:

The feeling of that first shower is just so wonderful. This also involved going up and down the stairs, and since I showered around 9 am, it involved doing it solo, as my menfolk are off at work and school. I had done the stairs over the weekend with home PT, so was confident, and was armed with my cross body bag with home and cell phone (my do it yourself life line!). Anyway, all went smoothly and I am showered, shampooed, dressed and ready to face the word, er, or at least ready to sit here iced and elevated watching TV!

My meds are in a good place right now. At the hospital, they were all messed up, and when I got home, I kept sleeping through my iphone alerts, so the amounts and timing was a mess. I now have myself on a schedule of 2 am, 6 am, 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm, 10 pm of 4 mg of dilaudin each time, and 650 mg tylenol every other time ( 6 am, 2 pm, and 10 pm). The 2 am time seems to be a time when I just wake up, so it is working and the pain seems to be controlled, which allows me to do my exercises.

Exercise consists of the following 3 times per day (or just 2 times if I get too swollen:

Bed exercises:
  • 10 foot pumps
  • 10 quad tightenings for 5 seconds - for these I put a bolster under my ankles and push my quads down to also get the leg straightened
  • 10 glut tightenings
  • 10 leg raises
  • 10 glut arc (bolster is under the knee, and bend leg down)
  • 10 heel slides - these are the hardest for me so I do them last when I am more limber. I also use an ace bandage behind my thigh to pull my leg up. If this hurts, I only do 5
  • passive extension - bolster under ankles and try to hold position for 10 minutes.
Chair exercises:
  • 10 hip flexions - lift bended leg
  • 10 knee extensions - kick leg out straight and hold
  • 10 knee flexions - use my other foot to push my foot back as far as it will go and hold. If these hurt, I only do 5
Standing exercises:
  • 10 toe raises
  • 10 hip flexions - lift bended leg
  • 10 knee extentions - kick knee back (the use of the word 'kick' is an over exageration! More like move foot back a tiny bit
  • 10 knee lunges on a step - put foot on one step and lunge forward while holding stair rails. These actually feel the best of all the knee flexion exercises
Bike:
  • one minute on the recumbant bike. I take my shoe off my operated leg and move it as far forward in the peddle strap as it will go. I then try to peddle back and forth. If I can make it around, I keep going, if not, I just go back and forth as far as is comfortable. This bike exercise is hard at first, but then I find that it actually limbers me up for other exercises. This morning, I was able to easily peddle all the way around - a big improvement from yesterday.
Aside from the items mentioned above, I am either sleeping, or I am in my recliner propped with a 3 pillow wedge to ice and elevate. Doing lots of TV watching and reading - and napping, lots of napping.

Things I am beginning to notice:
  • it is easier to get in and out of bed
  • when I go to sit up, my knee actually bends like it should instead of sticking straight out
  • my bruises are starting to go from deep purple to a softer yellow and green
  • the swelling and pain level is much improved in the morning, but does still get worse as the day goes on
  • I can put weight on the knee and walk on it, even with no crutches. I do not do that much, but I can.
  • I am far less weepy, angry, impatient than a week ago - I think maybe my anemia getting a bit better.
  • I can get a good, solid 3-4 hours of sleep before waking up.
  • I can do a few things around the house - empty the dishwasher, put things away, tidy up
  • I am feeling more alert and less out of it
  • I am beginning to find some joy in life again :SUNsmile:
PT is not coming again until Friday, but last time they were here, I got to a straight extension and 105 degree flexion. This makes me believe this will all be worth it!

My incision looks good, or at least as good as it can look! Steri-strips have come off at the point where I bend the knee. The knee is still swollen and hard, but a bit less angry looking.

I think I will be posting both my knee and hip scars today. Took me a while to actually even want to do that!!!

That's all folks! That is how things look for me one week and one day out. Thank you all again for your emotional support. Hugs!:yes!:
 
thanks @sandbar525. Same to you. So is this report about where you are? I think our med and movements match pretty closely.

Just got up from a nap with a very vivid dream of my dad (gone since 2011). Must be the meds, but it wrung my heart out. A friend is coming by for a short, cheerful visit. That is a good thing.
 
Hi @LaxMom Our meds line up exactly. I think you are a little ahead in PT but that's OK...it isn't a race! :) My mom passed in 2011 and I think about her every day. Have a good visit with your friend. As you say, that is a good thing. Have a pleasant evening. I'm having my 2nd PT tomorrow and hope to give the recumbent bike a try. I'll let you know how it goes.
 
@sandbar525 . No, it is not a race. I keep wondering about why it is that I can stand so easily. Especially after hearing what others said on your thread. I chose my OS because he uses a computer assisted, minimally invasive approach. Now mind you, if you could see the bruising on my leg, you would not think it was very minimally invasive! But, I do wonder if that is why I can stand and why his PT protocol is a bit more than other doctors. It is even more than the other doctors at the hospital where I went. That could me it, along with my strengthened quads.

Yesterday I did the bike 3 times. The last time was right before dinner. I was very stiff and swollen but did surprise myself by being able to peddle all the way around. Still just doing one minute at a time. But, as my therapist says, this week is one minute, next week is two, and beofre you know it!...

You also mentioned energy drain and I surely do have that. I may even have it more severely since my blood count is so low. I think it will take me a long time to catch up there. But, for this surgery, I am trying to be very regimented about meds, elevation, and naps. Yesterday I went down for my nap and slept solidly for 2 hours.

My friend did visit and I told her about vivid dream. She said that my dad just wanted me to know he was here. What a lovely thing. So good to have friends who always say the right thing. And I agree with you, I think of him every day as well.

Just waking up here in MA for my 6:00 am meds. I wish you good luck on the bike today. Let me know what you think. When I spoke to my OS during my consult, he said he likes his patients to have one at home so they can get on it for a few minutes several times an hour. I am not there yet, but maybe when some of this swelling goes down, I could see that being a great thing.

I have the visiting nurse coming today to check my INR and look and my incision, take vitals etc. I. Do like these mini checkups to reassure me all is ok and progressing as it should.

Oh, also wanted to mention shower chairs. Mine is a lot like this one available for $35 at Amazon:
AquaSense Adjustable Bath and Shower Seat with Non-Slip Seat and Backrest, White. I also have a hand held shower head that I take out of the holder. That is really what you need right now. I should not have said I stood in the shower yesterday. I probably should not have and would not recommend that you do! The chair is nice and safe. I do hope you get one soon - it is such a treat!

Have a great day!
 
Today is post op day 9. It seems like I am a tiny bit less swollen and in less pain I was able to get on the recumbent bike 3 times for a minute each and pedal all the way around. I took a brief walk outside, probably 700 yards (640 meters), now it is time to ice, elevate and medicate.

The nurse did my INR today and I am still only at 1.4. Upping Coumadin to 7 mg.

A pretty good day.
 
@LaxMom There was one thing I forgot to mention to you about your post op nausea. I had a really bad time a few years ago and I have always told anesthesia anytime I was to have surgery about it. They really took good care of it for me. They gave me some anti-nausea meds in my IV plus a patch behind my ear as well. So I had absolutely no nausea at all. If you ever need surgery again, be sure to tell anesthesia about your nausea and they will keep you from having to deal with that. Your one week post was awesome. I was so glad to be home. In the hospital I also had problems keeping the pain at bay. I had the 12 hour oxycontin, I could have 2 Roxicodone every 6 hours and I also had morphine IM every 4 hours if I needed it, which I usually did. So my upper arms are really sore from the injections but that lasted 3 hours compared to only about 30 mins if I got it thru my IV. So it was worth the soreness to keep something on board a little longer. My dratted cough is still with me that I had before surgery, so I am going to keep using the spirometry until it gets better. My at home PT starts either Friday or Monday for 2 weeks and then I will start going to outpatient. Hope you continue to do well!! Sorry about the book here LOL!!
 
@mystikfairy61 - glad you are home and doing well. The weird thing for me and the nausea was that I had surgery 5 weeks earlier at the same hospital and had zero nausea. My typical is one episode of vomiting post surgery, then I am fine. Anyway, I discussed all this with the anesthesiologist and he said we would do what we did 5 weeks ago. I can only imagine that my anemia for round 2 was the differentiating factor. Never experienced anything like it. I guess, since the L knee will be the next surgery - sometime in the future - I will ask them for all they have! Lol.

Today I think I turned a corner on the pain and swelling. I just got on the bike for the 4th time and it hardly hurt to use it. And this is a good thing because I just got my dilaudin refill and at the rate I am going, it will only last 3 days! I guess it is time to see if I can lower my dose or spread out my doses. I think I will wait until tomorrow to work that out!

Keep using that spirometry! You to not want to get a fever!!! I always get a low one for a day about 2 days after being home, then it gets better.

You will do so much better at home. And just take the meds, rest, ice, elevate for the first week. The PT is the least of your worries and your poor knee is too beat up to do very much. Keep is light and easy at first!
 
Hi @LaxMom I definitely think my PT kept me on the bike too long! Having quite a bit more swelling and pain this evening. On Monday, when I return to PT I plan to pull out one of the BS mantras - if something causes swelling and pain, don't do it again. Of course I'll get back on the bike again, just for a much shorter amount of time. Trial and error, trial and error...sigh!
 
So true @sandbar525. And meanwhile, I did the same amount as you, but just one minute at a time - did it 5 times today. And it is hurting and swelling less and less. Better to do the shorter intervals.

One problem with going into PT is that they want to make the most of the time. But you are right, go over the mantras with them. I do feel like no physical therapist had ever pushed my beyond what I can do. They do seem very good at recognizing when I m ready for the next thing, but they have never caused me pain. So sorry that happened to you

Ice, elevate, and sleep well my knee twin. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Hugs!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom